NFL Discussion Thread: Pats win SB XLIX. Offseason begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I wanted the Giants to draft Collins in the 5th or 6th. We definitely not gonna get him :smh:

Mirer, Leaf, Couch, Griffin and Mariota. Those names all belong together.

You draft him and he has the ability to reenter next year if he doesn't sign.. Teams might blackball him though

I get what his agent was thinking now, going undrafted he can become eligible for a new contract after 2 years as opposed to the 4 year rookie deal

Giants aren't gonna get him. All teams can sign him to the same deal, no one can offer him more. There's other teams closer to home that he will pick over the Giants for sure. Don't even know if the Giants are going after him. We didn't do **** with our 5th or 6th round picks. Could have gotten Zac Stacy or drafted this kid Collins.

Giants aren't gonna get him. All teams can sign him to the same deal, no one can offer him more. There's other teams closer to home that he will pick over the Giants for sure. Don't even know if the Giants are going after him. We didn't do **** with our 5th or 6th round picks. Could have gotten Zac Stacy or drafted this kid Collins.

agreed.

the chances of that 6th-7th round player making the team are slim so take a chance on Stacy or Collins. the reward far outweigh's the risk.

Last edited:
Why should I believe Mike Wallace is going to be Pittsburgh Mike Wallace? I'm not sure, but of course Bridgewater is better than Tannehill (let's stop before we start, CP) so maybe that'll make a significant difference.

You shouldn't, I don't know if he will ever reach those heights again but if we lower expectations he is still a pretty good WR

We need more draft rounds :nerd:

The La'el Collins conclusion is the one I wanted after this whole thing got started.

Let me tell you.

It is ******* embarrassing.... embarrassing... that Collins was undrafted when it was reported Wednesday before the draft even began that he was not a suspect in the murder investigation.

I REPEAT. NOT A SUSPECT. Reported that way from the outset. Only being questioned, as I think we and all NFL teams should know, happens in every single murder investigation. They bring people in, they make people take lie detector tests, they ask where you were to see whose stories match and whose stories don't line up.

He wasn't a suspect. The police said this.

"There are too many question marks with taking the guy..."

Let me ask you: If it had been a white player who wasn't a suspect in a murder, would he have gone undrafted?

It's such a crock of ****. One of the most despicable stories I've seen in a long time. So not only does his former girlfriend get murdered and he has to go spend what he thought would be the culmination of everything he worked hard for -- the NFL draft -- trying to convince people he's not a murderer or connected to this in any way.

He lost out on millions, and it was because he wasn't a suspect yet... that's not enough..? We should operate on the information we have, and not the racist tendencies we have. Jesus.

Last edited:
But teams were probably afraid he hired someone to do the killing like that one former panthers ?

What's crazy is not one team took a chance. But it goes player by player, I just can't figure out why teams take chances on some but all ignore others. Seems no rhyme or reason

Collins agent told teams NOT to draft him if they didn't do it on Friday because he wouldn't sign

I understand teams not wanting to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on him when details of why he was still wanted for questioning were scarce

Last edited:
The reason why teams stayed away was because it involved murder

What part of 'not a suspect' don't you understand?

When a murder happens, guess what? People are going to know the person who's been slain. As much as it sucks, and as much as apparently you and all NFL teams would like to completely avoid and acknowledge all things relating to it, so much so that it doesn't even register or matter that ... (he's not a suspect) ... there was no reason to consider him guilty of anything. No police work indicated this. No reports indicated this.

But teams were probably afraid he hired someone to do the killing like that one former panthers ?

This is the type of embarrassing **** I'm talking about... "what if", what are you even basing this comment off of? How does Collins relate to that in any way?

Last edited:
What part of 'not a suspect' don't you understand?

When a murder happens, guess what? People are going to know the person who's been slain. As much as it sucks, and as much as apparently you and all NFL teams would like to completely avoid and acknowledge all things relating to it, so much so that it doesn't even register or matter that ... (he's not a suspect) ... there was no reason to consider him guilty of anything. No police work indicated this. No reports indicated this.
This is the type of embarrassing **** I'm talking about... "what if", what are you even basing this comment off of? How does Collins relate to that in any way?

Aaron Hernandez wasn't considered a suspect at first either, you don't see why teams would be scared to draft him? doesn't make it right but it's the reality of the situation

Last edited:
It was just poor timing. Right by the draft and the NFL has had a lot of issues these last couple years. If this was 2002 or something, he would have probably went in the 2nd round.

A non-suspect can very quickly become a suspect.

It's really not surprising, nor should it be, that a team didn't take a chance on him.

They are football teams, running a business, not a court. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply. Teams are well within their rights to not use one of their few handful of draft picks on him.

Edit: NFL teams are busy preparing for the draft, and it's a lot easier to just take his name off the draft board than wasting resources trying to do police work the week of the draft

Last edited:
There is two different languages here.

"Not a suspect" doesn't mean you are cleared. It means at this time you haven't raised any flags. It also means at Any time from now or in the future you can become a suspect.

"Cleared" or "Cleared of all charges" is what teams are looking for. It means the law won't go after him what so ever.

I've watched way too many episodes of The First 48 to see how quickly someone goes from "not a suspect" to being charged in the homicide

A non-suspect can very quickly become a suspect.

It's really not surprising, nor should it be, that a team didn't take a chance on him.

They are football teams, running a business, not a court. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply. Teams are well within their rights to not use one of their few handful of draft picks on him.

Edit: NFL teams are busy preparing for the draft, and it's a lot easier to just take his name off the draft board than wasting resources trying to do police work the week of the draft

Agree with the last statement, especially when they can just pick up as an UDFA the next day

The La'el Collins conclusion is the one I wanted after this whole thing got started.

Let me tell you.

It is ******* embarrassing.... embarrassing... that Collins was undrafted when it was reported Wednesday before the draft even began that he was not a suspect in the murder investigation.

I REPEAT. NOT A SUSPECT. Reported that way from the outset. Only being questioned, as I think we and all NFL teams should know, happens in every single murder investigation. They bring people in, they make people take lie detector tests, they ask where you were to see whose stories match and whose stories don't line up.

He wasn't a suspect. The police said this.

"There are too many question marks with taking the guy..."

Let me ask you: If it had been a white player who wasn't a suspect in a murder, would he have gone undrafted?

It's such a crock of ****. One of the most despicable stories I've seen in a long time. So not only does his former girlfriend get murdered and he has to go spend what he thought would be the culmination of everything he worked hard for -- the NFL draft -- trying to convince people he's not a murderer or connected to this in any way.

He lost out on millions, and it was because he wasn't a suspect yet... that's not enough..? We should operate on the information we have, and not the racist tendencies we have. Jesus.
You are taking it in a perfect world approach, but we are not one. In reality, in public perception, we as people are guilty until proven innocent.

A 29 year old pregnant former GF, is murdered before you enter the NFL Draft as a 1st round draft pick. I mean be honest with yourself, it's shady as s**t or the dude has the world's worst luck. And coupled with the recent year with domestic violence, player drug and alcohol abuse, and other things, teams are damn near scared to even associate with a player that has a murder tied to his name, "suspect" or not. Advocacy groups would be all over the team and league, if it happened.

Police had deemed plenty of people as not as suspects, just to question them farther down the line; and with him not going and clearing his name earlier only hurt his credibility. 

Do I want La'el Collins in the league if he is innocent? Yes (and a long productive career).

Do think he was blackballed? Yes, to an extent.

Do I think teams are wrong to pass on him? No.

Of course we hear about those who start as a 'non-suspect' before transitioning to a 'suspect', and of course we're not going to hear about the people that start as a 'non-suspect' and stay a 'non-suspect' ... nobody's going to write/report on that because it's not a story. Yet, it's far more prevalent for that to happen than somebody suddenly turning into a suspect after being a non-suspect. But because we hear about that, we think it's more common than it really is when it's really not common at all.

Again, using Aaron Hernandez as an example? Well, La'el Collins is probably guilty/messed up in this too ... ok :smh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom