NFL Discussion Thread: Pats win SB XLIX. Offseason begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
neither is Evan Mathis but he really doesn't have a leg to stand on, he is going to have to play and earn some 1 year contract in 2016

Geno Smith may have to compete for job after all

Michael David Smith, Pro Football Talk

Perhaps Chan Gailey spoke too soon.

Or just too honestly.

After his offensive coordinator said Geno Smith was pegged as the starter and there would be no competition for the quarterback job, Jets head coach Todd Bowles said that wasn’t necessarily the case.

“Chan’s very matter-of-fact,” Bowles said, via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com. “Come camp time, there will be competition at the spot. . . . That doesn’t mean it’s going to stay like that.”

In jamming the toothpaste back in the tube, Bowles explained that Gailey’s reference was largely because Fitzpatrick is coming off a broken leg, and that means that today, there’s not necessarily a competition because there can’t be an even distribution of reps (though Fitzpatrick did some work in OTAs).

“You don’t start out having two or three games getting first-team reps,” Bowles said. “I view it as open competition. It’s [Smith’s] to lose.”

Based on his track record, there’s a decent chance he will.

Smith has 41 turnovers in two seasons, while Fitzpatrick has the benefit of background with Gailey in Buffalo and a resume of solid if unspectacular play.

If Smith continues to play as he has, the competition will likely fire up again.

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/27/geno-smith-may-have-to-compete-for-job-after-all/

Lack of income?

Not to mention another year of not playing would hurt his future earning potential with another team when he would be able to sign

Last edited:
Lack of income?

Not to mention another year of not playing would hurt his future earning potential with another team when he would be able to sign

Why didn't you guys say the same thing when Pat Willis retired? What's the difference?

AP just made 8 million last season, he has his own real estate business in Texas, and also mentioned trying out for the Olympics.

Doesn't seem like AP has been out here blowing his career earnings, seems pretty smart financially.

Why didn't you guys say the same thing when Pat Willis retired? What's the difference?

AP just made 8 million last season, he has his own real estate business in Texas, and also mentioned trying out for the Olympics.

Doesn't seem like AP has been out here blowing his career earnings, seems pretty smart financially.

Financially it wasn't a good move by Willis or Worilds as well. However they seemed to have planned for life after and made a long, thought out decision vs being unhappy with the team they are signed to and trying to use retirement as leverage. Regardless of how much a player makes that money can be gone quickly if not properly set up.

I'm sure there is some joke with AP retiring and spending more time with his kids but I don't want to go down that route, sensitive topic

Financially it wasn't a good move by Willis or Worilds as well. However they seemed to have planned for life after and made a long, thought out decision vs being unhappy with the team they are signed to and trying to use retirement as leverage. Regardless of how much a player makes that money can be gone quickly if not properly set up.

I'm sure there is some joke with AP retiring and spending more time with his kids but I don't want to go down that route, sensitive topic

If he really does have 6 kids, that's a hell of a lot of child support for an athlete to pay

I feel you DMX, just wanted to get some insight on why you guys thought it would hurt him.

He's been out of the league for a year, he may have started to plan his future outside of football. We'll see, I'd be pretty upset if he didn't play anymore, still think he has at least 2 years of being a top RB left in the tank if he can get out of Minny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom