NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s getting kind of wild even with the moving cap. As the cap increases are the QBs maintaining a similar % of the cap or is the % increasing as well? It feels like the latter for some reason. Just the other day I heard Dominique Foxworth, I believe, refer to it as a “How good can I be before I have to pay my franchise QB league” :lol: I feel like Mahomes is one of the only guys you can really pay big QB money to and afford to plug-and-play other offensive pieces.

We just saw how it worked out for Green Bay. Cincy MIGHT lose Higgins but at least they still have Chase so they’ll be fine. I think they said Herbo might lose Mike Williams.

All the guys who might move teams will get the money they want (Saquon, Mike Will, Higgins, etc) but they just might be stuck in less desirable situations. I guess it spreads out the talent and is one of the benefits of a hard cap

my problem with some of the stuff that gets said, it's more roster building or lack thereof

take the colts with andrew luck.. paying andrew luck wasnt the problem, it was how crap the GM they had at the time was

even with the chiefs, they could have easily gone elsewhere over picking a RB in the first round, but they went and did that.. and then after almost getting mahomes killed, they went and retooled the OLine while CEH was a scratch for the super bowl

i think it's easy to look at the QB being paid or not being paid.. aint hard to see how things play out for teams when they miss multiple draft classes in a row

my problem with some of the stuff that gets said, it's more roster building or lack thereof

take the colts with andrew luck.. paying andrew luck wasnt the problem, it was how crap the GM they had at the time was

even with the chiefs, they could have easily gone elsewhere over picking a RB in the first round, but they went and did that.. and then after almost getting mahomes killed, they went and retooled the OLine while CEH was a scratch for the super bowl

i think it's easy to look at the QB being paid or not being paid.. aint hard to see how things play out for teams when they miss multiple draft classes in a row

Roster building is certainly apart of it but you are also spoiled in the sense that the Eagles are extremely well positioned with a young QB who they can afford to pay with key guys under contract already and a ton of draft capital. I’m not saying this as a criticism by the way; rather a compliment about your enviable situation. I will say though it is one that is unique and I would consider it an exception, not the norm.

I’m still trying to fully wrap my head around the NFL cap and I’m getting a better understanding (especially since it is important with these Lamar negotiations) but can anyone provide insight into the Davante Adams/Packers and Hill/Chiefs situations last offseason? I know they wanted those monster deals, which they got elsewhere, but could the Packers and/or Chiefs have afforded to pay them? If so, what type of sacrifices would they have had to make? I am guessing the Packers couldn’t have gotten much worse but I would have to imagine it would have negatively affected the Chiefs.

I am trying to figure out the ideal timing of your signings to put out the most legit roster. Seems it’s either solid team, good young QB, bring in higher $ pieces ala Buffalo or good young team, bring in higher $ QB (what Denver did and it didn’t work or what the Jets are trying to do).

Roster building is certainly apart of it but you are also spoiled in the sense that the Eagles are extremely well positioned with a young QB who they can afford to pay with key guys under contract already and a ton of draft capital. I’m not saying this as a criticism by the way; rather a compliment about your enviable situation. I will say though it is one that is unique and I would consider it an exception, not the norm.

I’m still trying to fully wrap my head around the NFL cap and I’m getting a better understanding (especially since it is important with these Lamar negotiations) but can anyone provide insight into the Davante Adams/Packers and Hill/Chiefs situations last offseason? I know they wanted those monster deals, which they got elsewhere, but could the Packers and/or Chiefs have afforded to pay them? If so, what type of sacrifices would they have had to make? I am guessing the Packers couldn’t have gotten much worse but I would have to imagine it would have negatively affected the Chiefs.

I am trying to figure out the ideal timing of your signings to put out the most legit roster. Seems it’s either solid team, good young QB, bring in higher $ pieces ala Buffalo or good young team, bring in higher $ QB (what Denver did and it didn’t work or what the Jets are trying to do).

i dont have to look that far back for an eagles example

eagles paying wentz AND then eating that huge cap hit aint what hurt the roster

it was whiffing on whole draft classes and making poor roster decisions

but the eagles still were able to keep key players who continued to play key roles on the team.. even if those roles changed over time.. lane johnson and kelce have been constants on the oline.. fletch and BG have been constants on the dline

but we got back to hit on some draft picks and actually developing guys.. even UDFAs

i dont have to look that far back for an eagles example

eagles paying wentz AND then eating that huge cap hit aint what hurt the roster

it was whiffing on whole draft classes and making poor roster decisions

but the eagles still were able to keep key players who continued to play key roles on the team.. even if those roles changed over time.. lane johnson and kelce have been constants on the oline.. fletch and BG have been constants on the dline

but we got back to hit on some draft picks and actually developing guys.. even UDFAs

I think the most important part about the Eagles is what you mentioned about whiffing on drafts BUT keeping key guys. Even after paying Wentz and messing up some drafts you made the playoffs 4/5 seasons (twice with Wentz) with the lone exception being that abysmal 4-11-1 season.

Eagles are an extremely well run franchise IMO so I’m not necessarily looking at them. Moreso the teams that work themselves into a shoot with these mega-QB deals. Seems like fixating on the QB and not the rest of the roster is the issue.

SF is another good example similar to the Eagles - solid AF roster the past 4 seasons. 1 SB appearance, 2 NFCCG. Unlike you, they just haven’t been able to find their QB. If Lance was decent (or got the chance to play so they could find out) then maybe they’d be in the same position as you.

…. But RBs don’t deserve to get paid unlike some people.

Mediocre QBs should not be able to get huge deals

You can get deep into the playoffs or win a SB with a rookie deal RB or a RB by committee approach. Can’t just throw anyone under center or afford to test out multiple guys like you can at RB. A mediocre QB has far more value IMO.

You can get deep into the playoffs or win a SB with a rookie deal RB or a RB by committee approach. Can’t just throw anyone under center or afford to test out multiple guys like you can at RB. A mediocre QB has far more value IMO.

A mediocre QB should not be getting paid top dollar. Daniel Jones is not worth 45 million dollars.

Derrick Henry got 25 million guaranteed, Nick’s extension was 3 years, 36 million.

Daniel Jones will probably get 200+ million GUARANTEED. Chubb and Henry are probably hall of fame bound and are getting paid like like that, terrible precedent.

Egregious

Understood that QB is a top priority position but bottom 20 QBs shouldn’t be getting top dollar.

I will still say I understand not paying a running back or taking them high.

Someone in here just mentioned the Chiefs taking CEH in the first round, when in the Super Bowl he wasn’t even active and they rolled out a late round pick in Pacheco who’ll probably be there starter for the next 3 years and bargain deal McKinnon who since all those knee injuries has basically been a slot receiver.

Feels like every year there’s a late round/UDFA RB that tears it up and might they not be a Saquon nope but they’ll be like 80 percent of that.

Shouldn’t the Giants have a good amount of cap though? Other than that bad deal with the WR they’re not paying anyone.

Last edited:
A mediocre QB should not be getting paid top dollar. Daniel Jones is not worth 45 million dollars.

This is why we talk about the moving cap. $45MM isn’t going to be top dollar anymore after him and Carr sign for that much and the league will be in a frenzy :lol:

Daniel Jones should not be getting paid double or triple the money of Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry, or Dalvin Cook.

I kind of see your point but that’s for the market to decide so I can’t really comment. All I can say is the value above replacement between a “mediocre” starting QB and their backup is much higher than that of a star RB and their backup who is likely getting run anyway in a multiback system. RB is unfortunately a replaceable position, even with the top guys.

As far as players go, for better or worse, it’s a QB league

I think the most important part about the Eagles is what you mentioned about whiffing on drafts BUT keeping key guys. Even after paying Wentz and messing up some drafts you made the playoffs 4/5 seasons (twice with Wentz) with the lone exception being that abysmal 4-11-1 season.

Eagles are an extremely well run franchise IMO so I’m not necessarily looking at them. Moreso the teams that work themselves into a shoot with these mega-QB deals. Seems like fixating on the QB and not the rest of the roster is the issue.

SF is another good example similar to the Eagles - solid AF roster the past 4 seasons. 1 SB appearance, 2 NFCCG. Unlike you, they just haven’t been able to find their QB. If Lance was decent (or got the chance to play so they could find out) then maybe they’d be in the same position as you.

That’s why you start at top and work down.. look at the why and how

Even if it’s admitting you’re wrong and moving on.. but you have to able to bite that bullet

But at least legit have a plan

Poor planning was a huge issue I had with Gannon.. 1/3rd of his system only worked with Jordan Davis, who was a rookie and then got hurt

nick. nick.

BitterHeftyAiredale-max-1mb.gif

I will still say I understand not paying a running back or taking them high.

Someone in here just mention that she’s taking CEH in the first round, what in the Super Bowl he wasn’t even active and they rolled out a late round pick in Pacheco who’ll probably be there starter for the next 3 years and McKinnon who since all those knee injuries has basically been a slot receiver.

Feels like every year there’s a late round/UDFA RB that tears it up and might they not be a Saquon nope but they’ll be like 80 percent of that.

Shouldn’t the Giants have a good amount of cap though? Other than that bad deal with the WR they’re not paying anyone.

Im not talking about draft position. I under the devaluation of RBs. I get it. I’m not saying pay them big dollars.

I’m just saying “OK, Daniel Jones should be closer to 125 million guaranteed, instead of 200 million”

I’m not saying don’t pay QBs. I’m saying Daniel Jones shouldn’t be anywhere near 45-50 million, even if the market eventually “resets”.

Daniel Jones shouldn’t be a barometer for market resetting:lol:

That’s why you start at top and work down.. look at the why and how

Even if it’s admitting you’re wrong and moving on.. but you have to able to bite that bullet

But at least legit have a plan

Poor planning was a huge issue I had with Gannon.. 1/3rd of his system only worked with Jordan Davis, who was a rookie and then got hurt

This is where I think a lot of front offices trip themselves up. Dat pride :smh: |l

Im not talking about draft position. I under the devaluation of RBs. I get it. I’m not saying pay them big dollars.

I’m just saying “OK, Daniel Jones should be closer to 125 million guaranteed, instead of 200 million”

I’m not saying don’t pay QBs. I’m saying Daniel Jones shouldn’t be anywhere near 45-50 million, even if the market eventually “resets”.

Neither should Christian Kirk but here we are. Same with DW4 getting $230 fully guaranteed. Blame the owners of desperate franchises.

We need a QB one of this.
Been an ongoing thing in the QB thread for who knows how long. C CP1708 just wrote a novel in there

Couple charts here

Daniel Jones should not be getting paid double or triple the money of Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry, or Dalvin Cook.
He plays the most important position in football. None of those guys do. You’re knocking the guy when it’s really just about how the game is trending./ has changed. But you’re not winning with a elite RB and trash QB, but you can win with a above average QB and solid RB.

Pay any of those RBs big money and it’ll age horribly.

… All those teams had HALL OF FAME QBs except Flacco, Stafford (bubble), Foles/Wentz…

Rodgers, Eli, Brees, Peyton, Brady, Russell Wilson.

Y’all get my point though? Those HOF QBs warranted that money.

Why is Daniel Jones being paid comparable to SB winning QBs and HOFers?
None HOF QBs like Jones shouldn’t get 50 Ms

Bet the Giants wished they did that 5th year option now :lol:

Might sound wild, But the price of the brick is the price of the brick.

This may “hurt” :nthat:the Eagles more than anyone. Make no mistake about it, Jalen Hurts agent is sitting on her hands until Jones and Carr get their deals.

If it’s really 45 mil per, she’ll be asking for 55-60 mil with a straight face.

Maybe the Seahawks don’t resign Geno at this rate either cause he can certainly ask for that 45 mil if Jones is gonna get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom