Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

THAT OG LEATHER

and the og "E" looks bigger than the other letters

Last edited by a moderator:
I laugh that when people do Comparisons of this model, no one ever uses the 2011 versions LOL

Weird how these technically didn't restock. Does that mean they made less of these than the 4s?
I don't think they made more of these. I think its the same number its just people are being "smarter" shoppers, especially when All the the "good" OG releases are 220+ and JB is cracking them out WC4, BM5, SJ11 etc. then you have that coupled with Breds dropping, YZY SZN around the corner and the BEAUTIFUL 11 lows dropping, as well as people hopping on the runners trend and Adidas new found "Hype"

WC4 were the tax season joints too, so that helped.

I laugh that when people do Comparisons of this model, no one ever uses the 2011 versions LOL

I pulled out a couple DS pairs of the 2011s the other day, and it immediately reminded me that these are heads and shoulders above them in all areas. Materials, construction, everything. 2 pairs of my 2011s are going on the chopping block, as well as 2 pairs of my 2007s. I may still do pic comparisons like I did with the OGs and 2000s, but these are SO good compared to The Dark Years that comparisons aren't really necessary.

Said F it, for $30 below retail and delivered to my door, why the hell not.. Should be here in an hour.

I pulled out a couple DS pairs of the 2011s the other day, and it immediately reminded me that these are heads and shoulders above them in all areas. Materials, construction, everything. 2 pairs of my 2011s are going on the chopping block, as well as 2 pairs of my 2007s. I may still do pic comparisons like I did with the OGs and 2000s, but these are SO good compared to The Dark Years that comparisons aren't really necessary.

If you get a chance I'd still like to see a 2011-2016 comparison. I never paid much attention to the 2011's when they dropped. I have two pairs of '07s so i passed on the 2011's. Always herd how bad they were but never seen a pair in person.

So these came out in 2007 then 2011? That's kind of a small gap..seems like every re release has been about 5+ years later. Any other kicks with a small retro gap?

Like I said @Pain, I'm still salty as hell I even bought the 2011's. I should've waited, for these. I knew they'd come some day. The 2011's look like Fakes in comparison. The horrendous 23 on the heel, Varsity Red Jumpman on the bottom and the dusty nubuck material... Make it 10x worse. Just out of curiosity @Pain, What time period to you consider "The Dark Years"? I call the 2010-13 period, "The Ashy Larry Years".

roll.gif

The 2007s weren't THAT bad. At least they weren't nubuck. I consider The Dark Years from like 2008 through 2013 or so. A combination of the effects of the recession and getting the remnants of the dirty Gentry Humphrey taste out of Jordan Brand's mouth.

Last edited:
OK peoples. Here's a quick Friday evening treat. Because those of us who have mini demons rarely actually go out on Friday nights anymore.

2016 vs. 2011 Jordan V Black/Metallic Comparison

First the boxes. From L to R, that's a 2007 box, then 2011, then 2016 ('07s and '11s had the same box):

View media item 2124565

Here you can see a quick visual primer on how I store all my Vs, and remember they're usually in a dark closet. And no, your eyes aren't deceiving you, I do have some Tech Challenge Retro apparel from 2008 hanging in the background. Those boxes with the yellow circle labels? They're a small fraction of my used pairs, and the labels were so I could quickly identify them when we moved:

View media item 2124567

2011 on the left, 2016 on the right:

View media item 2124568

Heel to heel; the Vis-Air unit is black (kinda charcoalish, actually) on the 2011s. EDIT - And I will be damned, the mesh holes on the 2016s ARE a little wider:

View media item 2124569

Shark teeth aren't much different (this is with flash):

View media item 2124571

However...notice that, with minimal aging, the 2011s have developed a white scummy residue on certain areas of the midsoles and soles. To my knowledge, this is the only version out of the 5 releases of the black/metallics that this has happened to. I currently still have 4 pairs of DS 2011s. This has happened to ALL of them. The residue does come off if it is scratched lightly with something, like a pen cap or a credit card:

View media item 2124574

Side by side, front view:

View media item 2124581

Front view with flash:

View media item 2124582

Close up of the differences in material. The '11s use a darker, inkier, longer haired nubuck. You can't see it here, but on a couple of my pairs it has bled small ink spots onto the outsoles:

View media item 2124583

Back view:

View media item 2124590

And the sole view with some more scummy residue. I believe the red Jumpman also tends to bleed throughout the forefoot polyurethane:

View media item 2124591

A '16 vs. '07 comparison will be coming. Probably by Sunday.

Last edited:
 ​
I told you they look like fakes in comparison @stevesteve72, horrendous ones.
 ​
Quote:​
 ​
I noticed that I wasn't the only one whose '11 pair had the scummy residue. I've seen it on several pairs, and the icey sole gets yellow in the same spots also. My 2011 pair, is OD'ed on the scummy residue @Pain & @stevesteve72.
 ​
 ​
Besides the over abundant, scummy residue on the midsole & slight creases in the toe box. My 2011's have minimal aging, also.
 ​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom