Nike Roshe Run: An Iconic Shoe?

NT just hypes up ugly running shoes.

Fly knits are ugly, Roshe's really aren't all that.

As previously stated the shoes just hold a cult following.

Iconic shoe? No. Not even close and this is coming from an owner of 3 pairs (Black/Sails, Iguanas and Sport Reds). Pretty much my rotation for the last month or two with the exception of a pair of Lunar Ventures. The simplicity of the shoe is what actually makes the Roshe.

They're definitely comfortable and for the price, they can't be beat. Love that you can wear em w/ a pair of cargo shorts or jeans. Can't wait till it starts cooling down so I can break out some sweats.

**Nike needs to hurry up and produce a black midsole/outsole already.

I honestly think people got caught in the hype way too hard. Coupled with an attractive price, it was like an avalanche. :lol:

Dont get me wrong, really nice kicks, comfortable, but they really arent all that. Sometimes I feel its too flimsy. Only the colorways with a white bottom look nice IMO.

Fly Knits >

Flyknits are way more comfortable than Roshes to me. I picked up a pair of siren red Roshes thinking I would be blown away by the comfort level, but after wearing flyknit racers for weeks prior they didn't live up to the hype. I love the way that red pops on the sirens though.

Roshes are over hyped as is everything else Nike releases. Nike doesn't even release shoes anymore, just hype.

i agree with the fad thing...definitely not an 'iconic' shoe

for some reason, that midsole looks ridiculously large. i'm not with the 4 inches of foam thing.

Its complete BS that they are selling out everywhere now. I got my 2 pairs under retail.

For $60 they are super comfortable (not most comfortable EVER but not gonna lie they are up there). I would never work out in them. They are strictly for a casual walk around shoe. But the price + comfort + simplicity = great shoe

But if i have to pay over retail they lose all appeal honestly. They aren't that durable to warrant a premium price

:smokin

Horrendous looking shoe. My goodness. You new-school collectors. :lol:

Definitely not a "collector". And they aren't that bad looking. Some yall should try on a pair before passing judgment - that is if you can find a pair.

And to those saying flyknits are better. Youre probably right, seeing as how they are 2-3x the price.

Iconic status does take some time, but the ingredients are there. Time will tell. Nike needs to stop fronting and promote these, as well as release old and new colors. A black midsole is way overdue.

Guess I'll be in the minority and defend these shoes. Those pics don't do em justice. I'd def say don't judge until you've given them a try. At first I was like most of y'all judgin from the outside lookin in but as soon as I've worn them, they've all I've worn. I have a hard time coppin other shoes cuz they'd be bricks compared to these. As for it's purpose, it's made for chillin. Most of the shoes bought are bought for casual wear. Let's be real 99% of the time you got your shoes on youre just chillin. So why wear foams or jordans when you ain't ballin? Maybe it's just cuz I'm getting older that I'm buying kicks for more practical reasons...that being said I wonder what people would really think about foams, jordans, air maxes, etc if there was no name and/or history involved. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the responses are similar to what's in this thread.

As for the hype, I think I can say that a vast majority of the roshe lovers really dig this shoe because of the comfort so i wouldnt even call it hype. Not like people are camping or roshes. Even If there were no calypso or mango releases there would still be plenty of love. That being said I do dislike when people only try to cop those 2 because of how limited they are and not because they truly like the shoe (I'm not a fan of either colorway btw)

As for this shoe being iconic, only time will tell. I can def see this shoe brought up 10 years from now and get alot of love. I can say the same for the FR2 also...

The Roshe Run is trash. Most of you won't be wearing it next Summer.

Incorrect. Try again.

But if i have to pay over retail they lose all appeal honestly. They aren't that durable to warrant a premium price.

I can't see how people are paying $130, $150 or even $200+ for Mangos and/or Calypsos.

My Roshe limit is retail + tax (and possibly shipping).

However, if I did walk into a store and I saw a pair of Mangos/Calypsos on display... I would cop for $100 MAX. :lol:

Horrendous looking shoe. My goodness. You new-school collectors. :lol:

New school collectors? Try again.

I started buying shoes in 1998. >D

Guess I'll be in the minority and defend these shoes. Those pics don't do em justice. I'd def say don't judge until you've given them a try. At first I was like most of y'all judgin from the outside lookin in but as soon as I've worn them, they've all I've worn. I have a hard time coppin other shoes cuz they'd be bricks compared to these. As for it's purpose, it's made for chillin. Most of the shoes bought are bought for casual wear. Let's be real 99% of the time you got your shoes on youre just chillin. So why wear foams or jordans when you ain't ballin? Maybe it's just cuz I'm getting older that I'm buying kicks for more practical reasons...that being said I wonder what people would really think about foams, jordans, air maxes, etc if there was no name and/or history involved. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the responses are similar to what's in this thread.
As for the hype, I think I can say that a vast majority of the roshe lovers really dig this shoe because of the comfort so i wouldnt even call it hype. Not like people are camping or roshes. Even If there were no calypso or mango releases there would still be plenty of love. That being said I do dislike when people only try to cop those 2 because of how limited they are and not because they truly like the shoe (I'm not a fan of either colorway btw)
As for this shoe being iconic, only time will tell. I can def see this shoe brought up 10 years from now and get alot of love. I can say the same for the FR2 also...
Because they aren't made for basketball anymore. The Nike Sportswear line, which the Air Foamposite One falls under, guts the shoe of what it was intended for with the most visible gutting being the recent Nike Shox BB4.

Last edited:
Because they aren't made for basketball anymore. The Nike Sportswear line, which the Air Foamposite One falls under, guts the shoe of what it was intended for with the most visible gutting being the recent Nike Shox BB4.

If what you say is true then ain't that a damn shame then, to pay basketball shoe prices for a shoe that isn't 'made for basketball anymore', and at the end of the day ain't even that comfortable. If they really was guttin, they shoulda lowered the price. But then they gotta factor in the hype and that roughly evens out to $180-200, don't it?

As for the flyknits, i'm curious as to the comfort. I personally can't justify 200 beans on a shoe I'm just gonna walk around in.

If what you say is true then ain't that a damn shame then, to pay basketball shoe prices for a shoe that isn't 'made for basketball anymore', and at the end of the day ain't even that comfortable. If they really was guttin, they shoulda lowered the price. But then they gotta factor in the hype and that roughly evens out to $180-200, don't it?
They aren't factoring in hype in pricing. You guys have to stop with the thinking that NT/SC and blogs fuel Nike pricing. They don't. Its the same price as it was in 1996.

Extremely comfortable shoes, like wearing crocs only they look better. Still ugly though.

They aren't factoring in hype in pricing. You guys have to stop with the thinking that NT/SC and blogs fuel Nike pricing. They don't. Its the same price as it was in 1996.

Really? Cuz it's been a fact that JB puts out inferior quality with their products now and has continually bumped the price of their retroes. The XI's coming out this holiday season are what 180? Theyll keep bumpin cuz the demand is there so don't say hype ain't a factor. If te foams are really not made for ball anymore then they should be 140-180. But again people still bite on the 180-200 bait Nike tosses in the water.

But we digress. Y'all can have fun with your foams, etc. I'll be just as happy with my roshes,frees, and other similarly priced/comfortable shoes.

No where near an iconic shoe, more like an underrated one. Many people still don't know about the Roshe Run and probably never will unless Nike decides to distribute these to regular sneaker/running stores like Footlocker in the future. As someone who lives in NYC and goes out pretty often, I have honestly only seen 2 other people wearing them besides myself throughout the entire summer.

I agree it's definitely up there in comfort but I can't imagine myself exercising in them because the mesh doesn't seem too durable. I see them more as a designer/casual shoe, possibly modeled after the Toms. My theory is Nike saw how successful Toms were and wanted to make a sportier version. They are available in limited quantities to maybe test the market in different regions.. :nerd: Just my two cents.

Really? Cuz it's been a fact that JB puts out inferior quality with their products now and has continually bumped the price of their retroes. The XI's coming out this holiday season are what 180? Theyll keep bumpin cuz the demand is there so don't say hype ain't a factor. If te foams are really not made for ball anymore then they should be 140-180. But again people still bite on the 180-200 bait Nike tosses in the water.
But we digress. Y'all can have fun with your foams, etc. I'll be just as happy with my roshes,frees, and other similarly priced/comfortable shoes.
Do things like inflation, rise in cost of labor and shipping mean anything to you? Obviously they don't which is why you keep referring to hype.

No where near an iconic shoe, more like an underrated one.

Can you call it underrated if it is sold out everywhere?

I agree that Nike should jump on this cash cow and release it to regular stores as if they were AF1s and in as many colorways as possible but I have feeling Nike is pulling a McRib strategy with these shoe. Nike probably think that if it is readily available everywhere, people will not be snatching it up as soon as I see their size available and likely wait for them to go on sale.

Nike probably think that if it is readily available everywhere, people will not be snatching it up as soon as I see their size available and likely wait for them to go on sale.

Damn. Never thought about it from that standpoint.
:nerd:

Back
Top Bottom