Nike says high hype is killing the culture / Sneaker culture is “gentrified”

The Gundam × Nike sb pre-orders were a joke. Whole site crashed, despite that I managed to get 1 model. Even these Nike by you (Nike id) joints are tough to get when they weren't.
New Balance shut down their custom program too. Again, it points to an issue of availability.

I think people who are not in manufacturing underestimate just how difficult it has become to get the materials that used to be ordered, shipped and delivered within a week pre-pandemic. Some industries have seen lead times go from weeks to months or even years.

I have no knowledge of how Nike manufacturing works, but given what I'm seeing at work and what we're seeing with cars, electronics, construction, etc... it's not hard to imagine footwear companies are getting hit by shortages too.

New Balance shut down their custom program too. Again, it points to an issue of availability.

I think people who are not in manufacturing underestimate just how difficult it has become to get the materials that used to be ordered, shipped and delivered within a week pre-pandemic. Some industries have seen lead times go from weeks to months or even years.

I have no knowledge of how Nike manufacturing works, but given what I'm seeing at work and what we're seeing with cars, electronics, construction, etc... it's not hard to imagine footwear companies are getting hit by shortages too.

There's a global shortage on all fronts post-pandemic.

Increase supply, implement pre-orders (letting consumer know it'll take time to fulfill), and do what you can to slow down bots. But this is way too much work and resources spent, when the bottoms line won't jump up enough.

This is the new norm. Brick and mortar shops do not even have the products most people want. Something's gotta give eventually.

imo it’s a great time to sell your shoes. i had two pairs of dunks buried in my closet. both were very used. bought the puttys for $100 from a friend and the smurfs for about $150 from yahoo japan. sold both as a set for $4500.
51660CC5-FCD9-4096-BFF3-4673BC299851.jpeg

B1E57BA3-73F1-4908-A4BB-4DD1D642634F.jpeg

sold a few other pairs for about the same amount but the worst one was that a pair of forces that i sold for $500 a few years ago recently sold for over 10k 😢

Those Smurfs are my whole grails.

It’d be nice if nike just did early releases on SNKRS and dropped the same stuff in stores like months later. Especially, those extra regular GR Dunks.

Nike doesn't have a buyer issue, they have a supply issue, which they themselves control. They want to talk about not fulfilling demand and having those number drop compared to last year, but they don't want to do anything about preventing bots from eating up supply.

This is bogus on all levels IMO.
Well they do have a buyer issue in the sense that they basically have gone from selling to consumers to selling to a third party who then sells to consumers at a mock up price.

Nike ups production then all you jabronis gonna wanna wait til they go on sale.

The issue is a good portion of demand is coming from resellers. You produce enough to discourage reselling and then they sit. You produce just enough to satisfy actual demand and you're still gonna have a sell out and resellers will still be a factor. And what is the actual demand anyway? Hard to say. And thats not even considering the marketing aspect of limited, hyped shoes.

These bot developers are literally making millions of dollars. Nike can implement any bot protections they want, the developers are just gonna find a way around it with that kind of money on the line. Its a cat and mouse game and it has been for awhile noe.

The thing is, it'll never be like it was in the 90's and 2000's. Times have changed and so have the demographics. I'm 35 and grew up in new orleans. The emergence of e commerce is what gradually killed the sneaker game. Jordans ( for example) used to be difficult ( but impossible) to cop. All you had to do is wait in line on a Saturday morning before the stores opened to get them. There was no guarantee that you'd get a pair, but at least you had a chance. But now with social media and bots you have to fight the war on 2 fronts: In order to get a sought after pair of sneakers you have to overcome exclusivity and digital corruption. With those odds stacked against you it's no wonder decades old loyal nike customers have walked away from them. I myself have given up on new drops. I only mess with what I can find at the outlets.

Yea maybe right

Its **** like the snkrs app that makes most disinterested. They allow bots to run amuk.

plus on the point of losing consumers ( it took noticeable decline in sales to make a statement) these other brands have great looking and quality kicks as well

puma, new balance, asic, etc have great silhouettes as well.

its a young mans game though. Always has been. Hence why we have grown out of it.

The thing is, it'll never be like it was in the 90's and 2000's. Times have changed and so have the demographics. I'm 35 and grew up in new orleans. The emergence of e commerce is what gradually killed the sneaker game. Jordans ( for example) used to be difficult ( but impossible) to cop. All you had to do is wait in line on a Saturday morning before the stores opened to get them. There was no guarantee that you'd get a pair, but at least you had a chance. But now with social media and bots you have to fight the war on 2 fronts: In order to get a sought after pair of sneakers you have to overcome exclusivity and digital corruption. With those odds stacked against you it's no wonder decades old loyal nike customers have walked away from them. I myself have given up on new drops. I only mess with what I can find at the outlets.
Yes. That time has come and gone and will never go back. That all died with the internet. I remember people from certain areas only wearing certain brands or models. Kinda like with music, everyone is the same thing wanting the same thing.

Another surprise resale hit with the up-tempo pippins. I had no idea that was a thing like three years ago. I sold my Olympics for like three times retail and I got them on sale

You're correct and I don't think anyone in here expects that. But it's current form it definitely can be approved.

It's insane what random SBs are going for now. **** that never even had that much hype easily putting up $300-400

Reseller nonsense + Nike not really releasing anything I want + better uses of my money basically have had me retired for a while now

I'll continue to wear my old sneakers until they fall apart and then I guess I'll see what happens

Was too scared to wear my ostrich SBs recently because of this. It had been too long and I'm not tryna have the sole crack or separate on me :lol:

I rarely cop hyped kicks any more, happened to slide into a FL this weekend & cop a pair of Bordeaux 's & was extremely surprised.

With the current level of the show game idk how people can do it, especially with rep sites getting so good. people paying a few stacks for BS pairs

Well they do have a buyer issue in the sense that they basically have gone from selling to consumers to selling to a third party who then sells to consumers at a mock up price.

You're nitpicking semantics now :emoji_joy:

You know what I mean...

I rarely cop hyped kicks any more, happened to slide into a FL this weekend & cop a pair of Bordeaux 's & was extremely surprised.

With the current level of the show game idk how people can do it, especially with rep sites getting so good. people paying a few stacks for BS pairs

I cannot emphasize this enough. Reps are almost 1:1 now. Unless someone stops you on the streets to inspect your sneakers, it's very difficult to just tell with a glimpse.

NGL, there have been a few times I've thought about buying reps. I refuse to pay resale even though I could afford it. But I refuse to compromise the creator of the sneakers as well. It's a BS and unnecessary Catch-22.

Also another way it would work without adding a damn thing.

no release dates. It would be like a first come first serve online. If you just happen to be online on Monday at 12:42pm then you have a chance. And it will spread word of mouth. Otherwise they should say what shoes are coming out just not say the exact day. Shock drops only from now on. Just randomly drop them random days & time, even midnight on a Wednesday type ****. So there’s no way of knowing. At least for Jay’s and dunks and the hype ****

Back
Top Bottom