NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Meth I just have a question about the site going forward.

Since whoever/you/Nelson C will have to start paying for the sites development will that mean we will not donate to charity going forward or will we, the users, pool together to pay for these upgrades.

What if we have to make NT a pay to use site :frown:

Still says I can only capitalize.
Yeah, I'm told that's just the text. You should be able to change the name entirely. If that's not the case, we'll get it fixed. The text will be corrected as well.

We're using a system that was custom developed, but it was initially deployed on a site that only allowed formatting changes (e.g. caps). If it doesn't allow for complete name changes, let me know and we'll get it patched up.

My man. Site is def getting easier to navigate. I like it. Not trying to just complain. Everything I've said, is just ideas to make this place the best it can be. I'm good with the move for sure. At the end of the day, it's all about the people, and everyone I converse with on the regular are here. We can figure everything else out. We should have like a suggestion thread or whatever, so keep the ideas/complaints/comments, in one place.

I've done a lot of playing around with the new system already. Learned a lot.

Def if possible, can we remove the time window between posts? it's like 15 seconds? But sometimes you want to respond, at least I do, quicker than that. Say if someone posts under me, or while I'm posting.
Everybody has the right to their opinion. As members, we all invest a great deal of ourselves into the community. It's painful if the experience feels less enjoyable, and it's frustrating to have to re-learn and adjust before we get back up to full speed.

Everyone on our team is mindful of that, however difficult it can be to know that we spent the last 7 months of our lives and enough money to buy a new BMW trying to save the site from another dead platform.

I get the complaints. I do. I just ask that they be made respectfully and with some sense of context in mind for the sake of our team. They worked too hard on this and gave up too much to deal with abuse. Thankfully, the majority of criticism we've received thus far has been constructive - not mocking or rude.

We have that site migration forum set up for issue reporting. It gets a little overwhelming to have EVERYTHING all in one or two threads. It's easier, for the sake of tracking, if each issue has its own thread. If we need to set up a separate issue reporting subforum to make people feel more comfortable posting their issues in separate threads, we'll do it. That's a quick fix.

As for the waiting time between posts, that's actually an important security feature known as a "post flood safety check." It limits the amount of damage a potential spammer or attacker can cause with a single account within a short period of time.

Personally, I don't think 15 seconds between posts is altogether unreasonable. All things being equal, we would prefer to encourage more substantive replies than emoji only responses and the like. We're not mandating the 5 words or anything, we just would prefer not to have a lot of clutter in the discussion threads. With something like an NBA thread where you're reacting in real time to a game, I get that you want the ability to do exactly that and not wait. In a sneaker thread, people need access to real information, not a bunch of emoji. Unfortunately, we can only have one setting to rule them all, so it's about finding a reasonable balance.

15 seconds is something we can potentially tweak, but let's give it a chance before we evaluate that. I'm sure we can all agree we have more pressing issues to address.

The profanity filter issue has been assessed and corrected. As you might assume, a mis-configuration during setup led to overly aggressive enforcement. Hopefully our ability to react to and correct these issues will help assuage some concerns about the new site and its future.

Hey meth!!! With this being our 3rd change to a new platform. Could something like us changing happen again in a few more years. And would it be possible for you guys to every few months save our info in the case of us needing a change. So that if or when another change did happen it wouldn't be like a mad scramble or something. Is something like that possible or no

can we maybe do something about long signatures? some signatures taking up more space than an actual posting.

Hey meth!!! With this being our 3rd change to a new platform. Could something like us changing happen again in a few more years. And would it be possible for you guys to every few months save our info in the case of us needing a change. So that if or when another change did happen it wouldn't be like a mad scramble or something. Is something like that possible or no
The reason it was so challenging this time around is because:

1. It was pretty sudden. Getting six months notice to convert 17 years of data from a proprietary format is no small order.
2. Converting the data required a TON of custom work. It's not like translating from French to Spanish, where there's a common root language and you're dealing with two popular and syntactically similar languages. It's more like translating from hieroglyphics to English.

In the event that the current platform falls into a state of stagnation - or there's simply a better alternative out there - that platform would almost certainly have tools to convert the site data for us. That means all that we invested in converting our data to our current platform would help us ensure that any future moves could be done with far less pain and effort.

We now have full control over our data and our destiny as a community. We've have invested considerably in data redundancy. On the old ezboard site, a single hard drive failure could've cost us all our data. When our site was attacked and many of our earliest posts - including the first ever post to our forums - were deleted, ezboard could not recover it. They lacked a proper backup system.

Protecting our community and its history is incredibly important to us. We have backup systems in place for that reason - including offsite backups. In fact, I should actually be receiving a drive this week that essentially contains NikeTalk through the Huddler era. That, of course, is not the primary backup mechanism - we're not just keeping the backup data in a fire safe in my house, we can do a bit better than that. It does, however, illustrate the level of control we now have to protect our community's data. We can back it up as needed and store it in as many places as needed to safeguard our posts, accounts, images, and so on.

can we maybe do something about long signatures? some signatures taking up more space than an actual posting.

To be honest with you, I was in favor of scrapping signatures altogether. They tend to be very spammy, most people only care about their own, and they don't even show up on mobile.

However, we know they're important to people, so the team worked on trying to find a good middle ground solution. It was determined that we could impose limits to signatures so they could only be two lines long, could not contain images, and could not contain links. For whatever reason, those weren't applied to all of the imported signatures, so there's some cleanup of those that needs to occur.

We'll give it a shot and see how things go. That said, we'll reserve the right to cancel those out if it's a problem and just use that area for the charity badges - which are coming back, but will need to wait until the high priority stuff is addressed.

I have to say, on Sunday morning I went on NT and the new forum showed up but with no content and none of the links worked. I thought, "oh geez, the move failed, everything is destroyed. It's ok though, we can start from scratch."

Next time I checked, all the data was up.

Point is, this is a big move, and the fact that all the posts and members made it over here is a Herculean task on its own. Anyone who's dealt with moving data around knows this. So congrats and thanks are in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom