NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
" we need to add a proper forum directory to the nav menu "

That's the biggest thing imo

But everything is great tho.

Except that red line on desktop :pimp:e

My bad meth I haven't really been on like that and I didn't really read through the thread.

Haven't had the time. I just saw your post saying we could change our name, not just capitalization. My bad.

I don't know how difficult it would be to remove Avy pics from thread titles, but that would be a huge improvement for the mobile experience.

I was browsing the "Current Visitors" section of the forum and wanted to know what's "Robot: Google"?

" we need to add a proper forum directory to the nav menu "

That's the biggest thing imo

But everything is great tho.

Except that red line on desktop :pimp:e
Once we had the tech in place for the nav menu, my operating assumption was that we should be able to swap things around in there fairly easily - without consuming dev/design bandwidth more urgently needed elswhere. They're essentially just links, right? Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than that, so it's not a quick fix - but it's an important one.

As everyone knows, there are workarounds. There are other locations you can use to access the forum directory, and you can bookmark the forum directory quite easily. https://niketalk.com/forums/

"Can a user technically accomplish this" is not the bar we're trying to clear, though. We want it to be easy and intuitive to do whatever you want on the site. We'll get there.

On beta, we had a forum directory on the front page instead of the featured content, so it was less of an issue there. A big push was made very late in the process to get the front page featured content in - because it's VERY important for people who are not forum regulars to find what they're looking for right away without having to dig around through thousands of posts, as is a common limitation in forums. First impressions matter, and a front page that isn't a text menu is important. New users want to know where to talk about that next big release, or to see the latest news.

Unfortunately, in the current version of the platform, we can't easily customize the front page to show featured posts AND, say, your personalized news feed, or a forum directory, or the "what's new" content. I want that to happen, but that's something that will need to be handled further down the road.

I'm hoping that before the month is over, we can get the navigation menu to a much better place, so you can just jump from one forum to the next without having to go through some intermediary directory page.

What I hope gets across is that we're constantly moving in the right direction.

Re: the red bar... meh. Everyone liked it in beta. It's one of those things where you establish a table style for the various modules and those style settings apply to all similar units. It's a matter of personal preference. I can see why some would rather only see it as a way to establish clear separation and pop for different forum categories and those types of modules rather than for every single post on a page.

I can't promise we'll remove it, since it is a personal preference thing and the jury is still out.

What I can say is that
1) It isn't present on mobile.
2) We'll have a light theme next year, to give you an alternative.
3) We may at some point in the not too distant future give people the option to "force mobile" or "force desktop" rather than use the default responsive design that automatically fits your display.

We were caught a bit off guard by the number of users who for some reason wanted to know how to switch to desktop or mobile mode. We thought we'd obviated the need for that sort of toggle by establishing a unified design that is fully featured on all platforms.

Traditionally, you'd toggle to desktop on mobile if you wanted to use a feature that was desktop only.

What I've learned is that there are some users who preferred one or the other view just for layout reasons. They liked the look of one or the other.

So we should in theory be able to create separate theme options that stay locked in "desktop layout" or "mobile layout" at all times. If that happens and you were to choose mobile mode, no red lines.

My bad meth I haven't really been on like that and I didn't really read through the thread.

Haven't had the time. I just saw your post saying we could change our name, not just capitalization. My bad.
To be perfectly clear, then: the tool can only be used once per account. That's true for any change - whether you're changing the formatting or the name in its entirety.
I don't know how difficult it would be to remove Avy pics from thread titles, but that would be a huge improvement for the mobile experience.
Probably not that difficult, but, as with the red lines, it's a style preference right now and it's something that I think is really more of an issue for lower resolution mobile devices that are a little shy on screen space. So the question is whether we want to strip down the look on mobile for just those users. It's arguably a temporary and limited problem.

Perhaps we can tweak it so there's a little less padding between the avatars and the text.

The avatars aren't purely cosmetic. When you post in a thread, a little version of your avatar appears alongside the OP's avatar. It's kind of like - for anyone who actually remembers ezboard - those little 10x10 pixel user icons we used to have in the old days. (I had the NT logo, others used city initials, etc.) So it does have some functional value in addition to adding a little visual interest to what would otherwise just be a lot of text. And I, as well as anyone, know what people tend to think of long blocks of text.

I was browsing the "Current Visitors" section of the forum and wanted to know what's "Robot: Google"?
These days, a lot of web traffic actually comes from automated web crawlers and such: http://www.robotstxt.org/

On the old system, the visits generated by these programs would be counted as a "guest." Now, we can have a more accurate idea of how many people are online.

It's useful, but I know the "robot" nomenclature isn't self-explanatory. It's inside baseball, in the sense that it's a specialized term pertaining to something that was boring to begin with.

As is too often the case, "robot" sounds like a lot more fun than it really is.

johnny 5.gif

Rob.gif

Once we had the tech in place for the nav menu, my operating assumption was that we should be able to swap things around in there fairly easily - without consuming dev/design bandwidth more urgently needed elswhere. They're essentially just links, right? Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than that, so it's not a quick fix - but it's an important one.

As everyone knows, there are workarounds. There are other locations you can use to access the forum directory, and you can bookmark the forum directory quite easily. https://niketalk.com/forums/

"Can a user technically accomplish this" is not the bar we're trying to clear, though. We want it to be easy and intuitive to do whatever you want on the site. We'll get there.

On beta, we had a forum directory on the front page instead of the featured content, so it was less of an issue there. A big push was made very late in the process to get the front page featured content in - because it's VERY important for people who are not forum regulars to find what they're looking for right away without having to dig around through thousands of posts, as is a common limitation in forums. First impressions matter, and a front page that isn't a text menu is important. New users want to know where to talk about that next big release, or to see the latest news.

Unfortunately, in the current version of the platform, we can't easily customize the front page to show featured posts AND, say, your personalized news feed, or a forum directory, or the "what's new" content. I want that to happen, but that's something that will need to be handled further down the road.

I'm hoping that before the month is over, we can get the navigation menu to a much better place, so you can just jump from one forum to the next without having to go through some intermediary directory page.

What I hope gets across is that we're constantly moving in the right direction.

Re: the red bar... meh. Everyone liked it in beta. It's one of those things where you establish a table style for the various modules and those style settings apply to all similar units. It's a matter of personal preference. I can see why some would rather only see it as a way to establish clear separation and pop for different forum categories and those types of modules rather than for every single post on a page.

I can't promise we'll remove it, since it is a personal preference thing and the jury is still out.

What I can say is that
1) It isn't present on mobile.
2) We'll have a light theme next year, to give you an alternative.
3) We may at some point in the not too distant future give people the option to "force mobile" or "force desktop" rather than use the default responsive design that automatically fits your display.

We were caught a bit off guard by the number of users who for some reason wanted to know how to switch to desktop or mobile mode. We thought we'd obviated the need for that sort of toggle by establishing a unified design that is fully featured on all platforms.

Traditionally, you'd toggle to desktop on mobile if you wanted to use a feature that was desktop only.

What I've learned is that there are some users who preferred one or the other view just for layout reasons. They liked the look of one or the other.

So we should in theory be able to create separate theme options that stay locked in "desktop layout" or "mobile layout" at all times. If that happens and you were to choose mobile mode, no red lines.

To be perfectly clear, then: the tool can only be used once per account. That's true for any change - whether you're changing the formatting or the name in its entirety.

Probably not that difficult, but, as with the red lines, it's a style preference right now and it's something that I think is really more of an issue for lower resolution mobile devices that are a little shy on screen space. So the question is whether we want to strip down the look on mobile for just those users. It's arguably a temporary and limited problem.

Perhaps we can tweak it so there's a little less padding between the avatars and the text.

The avatars aren't purely cosmetic. When you post in a thread, a little version of your avatar appears alongside the OP's avatar. It's kind of like - for anyone who actually remembers ezboard - those little 10x10 pixel user icons we used to have in the old days. (I had the NT logo, others used city initials, etc.) So it does have some functional value in addition to adding a little visual interest to what would otherwise just be a lot of text. And I, as well as anyone, know what people tend to think of long blocks of text.

These days, a lot of web traffic actually comes from automated web crawlers and such: http://www.robotstxt.org/

On the old system, the visits generated by these programs would be counted as a "guest." Now, we can have a more accurate idea of how many people are online.

It's useful, but I know the "robot" nomenclature isn't self-explanatory. It's inside baseball, in the sense that it's a specialized term pertaining to something that was boring to begin with.

As is too often the case, "robot" sounds like a lot more fun than it really is.

johnny 5.gif

Rob.gif
Fair enough, I'm on a iPhone 5, which shares the same screen as the iPhone 5S and iPhone SE, which I would argue are very popular phones.

Reducing the padding would probably be an ok compromise.

I dunno if you already tweaked it or not, or my brain just getting used to the current layout, but it's already looking better.

I hear you Meth but what I'm saying is that it wasn't letting me do anything but change capitalization. I only found out that we could change our names after I made that change.

With the last site, I was completely unable to view niketalk on my desktop. It was painfully slow and crashed a bunch due to pop up ads and auto-play video ads. So I was forced to completely abandon NT on my computer and use NTmobile only. Which was fine because I preferred mobile. It was more sleek and easier to navigate for me for some reason.

This new site is the opposite. For some reason NTmobile is really slow and looks terrible on my phone. I think I'll use it sparingly. I think, like Meth said, it's just one of those personal preference things that can't really be helped with.

I do have a few questions though:

1. I'm having trouble quoting people. I'm sure it's something obvious and probably easier to figure out than it has been for me, but could someone walk me through this?

2. How do I tag or @ someone?

3. It may not be hashed out just yet, but is there a way to receive email notifications just for when I'm quoted and also is there a way to receive a site notification when I'm quoted instead of every time the thread gets a reply.

I'd like to thank the entire staff for putting in all this hard work for us. This website has been an invaluable asset to the sneaker community and I really appreciate the extra effort you guys put in to keep things running and to please people that you don't even know. Many times it probably feels like a thank-less task and more times than not trolls and comedians probably manage to get under your skin a little bit. But I really do thank you all from the bottom of my heart for staying strong through the adversity and the trouble makers, for the greater good (the greater good!)

I do have a few questions though:

1. I'm having trouble quoting people. I'm sure it's something obvious and probably easier to figure out than it has been for me, but could someone walk me through this?

1. You can either hit 'reply' to directly quote one post and jump straight to the text box, hit 'quote' if you intend to quote multiple posts (you'd tap 'quote' on each desired post) then move down to the text box area and select 'insert quotes', or highlight text within a post and select one of the aforementioned two options from a small pop-up button that appears.

2. All you have to do now is type a @ and then start typing the username, with no space between the @ and the name (like on Twitter/IG.)

edit: Gordonson Gordonson beat me to it. Just fyi, I haven't figured out #3, but I haven't really played with it much either.

1. It's a 2-step process. You either hit the +Quote button on the bottom right of the post, or highlight the text you want to quote and a little pop-up should appear. Hit +Quote on that popup. Step 2 is that you now should see an "Insert Quotes..." box underneath your reply box at the bottom of the page. Hit that button and then hit "quote these messages" and the quote will be automatically inserted. I wish it was 1 or 2 clicks less to do all this, but it's pretty quick once you get used to it and realize where the buttons are.

2. Just type @ and then start typing the person's name. A list of members will appear (i.e. autocomplete) and just select the one you want, aka calibeebee calibeebee
You can also do [@] [/@] tags

calibeebee calibeebee
Tagging/mention someone you just type the @ and the name of the person, it will auto generate names as you type. As for the email when qouted or mentioned it's not set up that way on this platform.
Screenshot_2017-07-17-18-25-32.png
Screenshot_2017-07-17-18-33-15.png

Thank you. :pimp:

This is getting easier with each day.

No doubt :nthat:

I feel the same way.

Outside of things that have said multiple times now to be a work in progress/small subjective stuff (I agree with people saying the amount of red lines present isn't the best look; I would have said that during the beta but I honestly don't even remember noticing it, probably because I was able to do everything I wanted through 'mobile view'), my only issue is this Watched Forums/Threads stuff not feeling as intuitive as the My Subscriptions page was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom