NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll happen when it happens. He never gave a concrete date to begin with.

If you've ever followed a high profile software release, crowdfunding project, etc. you're likely to experience a lot of pump fakes with release dates.  With each date missed, those responsible appear to lose credibility, as it looks, from the outside, like they don't know what they're doing.  The truth of the matter is that, often times, people don't really know how long something will take.  

If I asked you to estimate the amount of time it would take you to visit the local grocery store, you'd have a good idea of how much time that typically requires.  It's a set distance away.  You've traveled there many times before.  From experience, you've identified the general range of time required to make the trip under normal conditions.  The more variables you add, the harder it is to form an accurate estimate.  How long will it take you to meet up with some heretofore unknown person to drive to the store together in a rental car which may or may not be working properly, in unknown weather/traffic conditions, when the store is under new ownership and may now only be open when convenient for the lazy manager?  The only honest answer there is "I'm not sure.  We'll get there as quickly and safely as we can."

I could try to satisfy the demand for information by passing on the latest estimated launch date I've received, but I've resisted that temptation because I don't want to give out any date(s) that we'll likely miss.  Had I given out an estimate for this week, obviously that would've gone by already.  

I do have an estimated launch date reserved for next week, but I'll only discuss that if I feel it's worth your attention.  If you're following this thread, you want a concrete release date, not a stated intention.  

We could've launched "a website" a long time ago.  As testers have seen, we have a forum platform and a design ready to go - and that's only been polished since then.  It's not our goal, however, to just launch a forum site with the name "NikeTalk" on it.  We're moving  the entire community, not just replacing it.  Much of the content has already been converted, but, given the nature of the community, new content is constantly being added.

We were thrown a curve ball when the team identified discrepancies in the way our legacy data had been packaged from one installment to the next, which required our developers to re-write many of the conversion tools we're using to import nearly 18 years of content to the new platform.  We're not happy about it, but we'll work to overcome the last minute hurdle and leave as soon as the new experience meets our standards.  

The advantage we have in this situation is that the current site is pretty stable.  Nobody wants to move more than I do, but the user experience and the preservation of NikeTalk's legacy have to come first.  We're not going to rush and cut corners just to save money and meet an artificial deadline.  The job will be done correctly.  You deserve nothing less.

U stepping up to the godfather of niketalk like that?

U got brass

I got your back method mans

People take this way too seriously.

I can't imagine how much work this is taking. And they're doing this for free.

Take years if you need to. I don't care.

Yeah, my apologies. That post was meant for DonRe.

I quoted the other member DonRe and whywesteppin and for some reason DonRe's quote didn't post when I replied.

I actually wrote "this man knows" for whywesteppin's post in agreement.

Last edited:
^ :pimp:

How y'all beta boys feeing the new NT? I'm too alpha to use it, plus I accdetly forgot to sign up for it....Lol

we cannot speak of the beta NT for it is forbidden.

it's pretty good. some minor things will take a few days to get used to but it has many improvements throughout

Several of our fellow members were interested in an update.  I explained the reasoning behind both the recent delays and the lack of a launch date to this point.  The post was issued in response to those who inquired.  It was not featured on the front page, sent to you in an email newsletter, or otherwise pushed on you as urgent news.  If you don't find that sort of content interesting, you're welcome to unsubscribe.  

I don't expect everyone to follow this thread.  When definitive launch information is available, that will be featured to ensure that as many users as possible will be aware of the service disruption and are prepared to sign back in after launch.  If that's the only information you're interested in, fine.  Just wait for that to go up on the front page and you need not concern yourself with any details discussed here.
People take this way too seriously.

I can't imagine how much work this is taking. And they're doing this for free.

Take years if you need to. I don't care.
I appreciate the sentiment.  However, we also acknowledge and appreciate that NikeTalk matters to a lot of people, and they don't want to see it ruined.  To that end, we've hired a team of experienced professionals to perform the migration and provide ongoing support to replace what we're currently receiving via Huddler.  

While NikeTalk remains free to use, it's not unreasonable for people to want a quality service and accountability.  I expect professional results, too.  So much of the insight, camaraderie, and entertainment on NikeTalk comes from our regular contributors.  If you invest a lot of yourself and your time into the community, any threat to that community - like the discontinuation of its underlying forum software - is cause for concern and I realize that a lot of the criticism stems from the desire we all share to protect the community we've built together. 

Our move will begin tomorrow, July 12th.

The process will occur in three stages, designed to minimize downtime.

Tomorrow morning (Pacific), we will experience approximately 1 hour of downtime.  This will be the only period of total downtime we'll endure.  During this time, all of the site's data will be prepared for our move.

When the site returns, we'll enter a "read only" state for about 24-36 hours.  Posting will be possible, but only in a special temporary forum.  

If all goes well, sometime in the evening of July 13th you'll see the new site.  Once you see the new site, all you need to do is sign in.  Your existing password will work.  You'll have access to all your posts and private messages.  

If you think of it in terms of moving to a new house, the first phase requires us to pack everything up and place it on a moving vehicle for delivery to the new house.  While everything is being moved and set up in the new house, you can continue to hang out in the old house.  If you were to paint the walls in the old house, the change wouldn't be carried over in the new house.  On the 13th, visits to niketalk.com will be re-routed to the new address.  

Due to the way that domain name severs are cached, different people may gain access to the new site at different times.  

As long as you can sign in and sign out of your account, you are all set for the move.  

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience and support throughout this process.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom