• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
unpopular opinion but they flopped because they weren't traditional consoles at all. Nintendo has used gimmicks for each console since the n64.
each console since snes has been the weakest on the market and third party games have moved away since the 64 and cartridges.
IMO Nintendo hasn't had a traditional console since the snes.
that's just me tho.

the appeal of the wii and ds were their pricepoint and games geared towards children IMO. the switch is a step in the right direction but not the step we need IMO.
we need something snes level from them. they're holding themselves back IMO.

I love how in these commercials they always show the players happily losing or be like aww man! They don’t show people throwing the controllers or strangling their friends because they used a blue shell as they were about to get 1st place or stealing their stars.

N64 was a flop? Had no idea. Everyone I knew had one.
how old are you? (no shot, just curious)
a lot of ppl growing up playing nes and snes moved on to psx once the psx lineup crushed 64.
64 was good for Mario 64 and...
that's about it until perfect dark, goldeneye, etc. but for a long stretch there was nothing compared to the psx.

anyone with a video game magazine collection go back and look at how the industry shifted if you can't remember.

once games like tekken 2, ffVII, etc. dropped it was over. square actually was the death nail IMO.

Nintendo has never been about the specs. Why would they change now?
that's not true. and they should change so third party companies will come back in the way they were there during the snes days.

I love how in these commercials they always show the players happily losing or be like aww man! They don’t show people throwing the controllers or strangling their friends because they used a blue shell as they were about to get 1st place or stealing their stars.

:lol:

I feel this way about commercials in general. They aren’t even close to real life.

I remember when my friend and I imported a dbz game on the Saturn...he kept losing and he beat the Saturn til he broke it. funniest thing ever at the time.
wish we had camera phones then so I could have recorded his meltdown.

how old are you? (no shot, just curious)
a lot of ppl growing up playing nes and snes moved on to psx once the psx lineup crushed 64.
64 was good for Mario 64 and...
that's about it until perfect dark, goldeneye, etc. but for a long stretch there was nothing compared to the psx.

anyone with a video game magazine collection go back and look at how the industry shifted if you can't remember.

once games like tekken 2, ffVII, etc. dropped it was over. square actually was the death nail IMO.

that's not true. and they should change so third party companies will come back in the way they were there during the snes days.
You gotta stop comparing to the NES/SNES era

Of course they were a powerhouse back then because there was no real competition, 3rd party developers had nowhere else to go

there’s a reason they don’t focus on power anymore because after the PS1/PS2 they quickly realized they couldn’t keep up

Nintendo’s 3rd party support in this moment is probably stronger than its ever been too so what exactly do you think they’re lacking that we NEED out of a Nintendo game?

You clamoring for a hyperrealistic Mario game? :lol:

I turn 34 tomorrow.

I played N64 all the time. Starfox, GoldenEye, Mario kart, Mario party, perfect dark, Pokemon stadium, Kobe Bryant courtside, wwe no mercy, wcw vs nwo, and a bunch of other stuff.

Didn't buy a ps1 until later on and mainly played final fantasy and syphon filter on it.

You gotta stop comparing to the NES/SNES era

Of course they were a powerhouse back then because there was no real competition, 3rd party developers had nowhere else to go
??

lotta stuff back then like genesis, 32x, segacd, 3do, cdi, etc. 3rd party companies def supported any and every console back then.

there’s a reason they don’t focus on power anymore because after the PS1/PS2 they quickly realized they couldn’t keep up

Nintendo’s 3rd party support in this moment is probably stronger than its ever been too so what exactly do you think they’re lacking that we NEED out of a Nintendo game?
Nintendo can keep up but chooses not to. that's a problem IMO and its handicapping them.
only reason ppl don't know how great 3d world is is because ppl didn't cop a wii u. that's a problem for a game so great. same with the original Mario maker.
back to 3d world, 3d world is one of the illest games I've played in the last two decades as far as a platformer and a Mario game. its a true sequel IMO to Mario world or Mario 3 or both...but nobody knows. smh.

Nintendo just got real 3rd party support again if we're keeping it 100. from 64-now there wasn't much. anybody from the nes/snes era should shake their heads at that. Nintendo has so much potential but stands in its own way a lot of times.

look at Mario maker and Mario maker 2. so many limitations for no reason.

You clamoring for a hyperrealistic Mario game? :lol:
no, i'm clamoring for a game that isn't barebones and rushed like odyssey was.

i'm clamoring for real sequels and not ports.

ppl are literally happy for third party support in the form of ports that released on other systems months ago. that's weak compared to how it was.
nothing holding Nintendo from being what it once was or even better except Nintendo. IMO.

we aren't going to pretend like specs don't entice or scare away third party companies.
again, if anybody's memory isn't clear you can do a quick google search or youtube the topic or if you have old video game magazines from the mid 90s lying around just read them.

it was clear then and I remember it well. third party companies already had issues with Nintendo's policies (which originally admittedly saved the console market during the nes days). once the 64 dropped using cartridges it was over.

??

lotta stuff back then like genesis, 32x, segacd, 3do, cdi, etc. 3rd party companies def supported any and every console back then.

Nintendo can keep up but chooses not to. that's a problem IMO and its handicapping them.
only reason ppl don't know how great 3d world is is because ppl didn't cop a wii u. that's a problem for a game so great. same with the original Mario maker.
back to 3d world, 3d world is one of the illest games I've played in the last two decades as far as a platformer and a Mario game. its a true sequel IMO to Mario world or Mario 3 or both...but nobody knows. smh.

Nintendo just got real 3rd party support again if we're keeping it 100. from 64-now there wasn't much. anybody from the nes/snes era should shake their heads at that. Nintendo has so much potential but stands in its own way a lot of times.

look at Mario maker and Mario maker 2. so many limitations for no reason.

no, i'm clamoring for a game that isn't barebones and rushed like odyssey was.

i'm clamoring for real sequels and not ports.
Nintendo definitely ain’t perfect in the choices they make but at this point I think they and everyone else knows that their audience is very different than that of the Playstation/Xbox crowd

People gravitate to Nintendo almost exclusively for its properties

No one expects huge triple A games from them nor should Nintendo want that

Nintendo’s greatest successes have come by way of essentially reinventing the wheel, while their greatest flops have come when doing exactly what you’re proposing they go back to

whats an example of a great flop where they do what I say they should? because IMO they haven't done it since snes.

and snes had excellent third party games as well as excellent games created in house. i'm not seeing why they can't have both now.

ffVI dropped on the same system sf2ww dropped which also had smw, yoshis island, link to the past and dkc2.

maybe its just me.

I bought my kids (6 y/o and 4y/o) Kirby Star Allies and they beat it in 2 days so back to Gamestop it goes.

I might grab them Sonic Racing, is it any better than Mario Kart?

its about to be 3 decades since the snes, as my nephew would tell me when i go on my old man rants or take him retro game hunting with me "move on its 2019"

nintendo online service trash...how you gonna play 3rd party games if you cant even message each other or party up with microphones.

whats an example of a great flop where they do what I say they should? because IMO they haven't done it since snes.

and snes had excellent third party games as well as excellent games created in house. i'm not seeing why they can't have both now.

ffVI dropped on the same system sf2ww dropped which also had smw, yoshis island, link to the past and dkc2.

maybe its just me.
They already do have great 1st party AND 3rd party support for the Switch though

Which is why I was asking what you think it is they’re lacking

its about to be 3 decades since the snes, as my nephew would tell me when i go on my old man rants or take him retro game hunting with me "move on its 2019"

nintendo online service trash...how you gonna play 3rd party games if you cant even message each other or party up with microphones.
How Nintendo still is trash online is amazing. No voice chat means much more than just no talking. Means to relationship building, no need to friend, etc. connection not being serve me based is alarming

I turn 34 tomorrow.

I played N64 all the time. Starfox, GoldenEye, Mario kart, Mario party, perfect dark, Pokemon stadium, Kobe Bryant courtside, wwe no mercy, wcw vs nwo, and a bunch of other stuff.

Didn't buy a ps1 until later on and mainly played final fantasy and syphon filter on it.
you're an outlier then.

most ppl moved on period. not taking revisionist history.
psx fighting game library, rpg lineup, sports games, etc. crushed Nintendo.
psx owned that whole era.

gameplayers, gamepro, egm, etc. were so disappointed.

They already do have great 1st party AND 3rd party support for the Switch though

Which is why I was asking what you think it is they’re lacking
like I said before, I think Nintendo should stop focusing on ports and focus on making great games.
I think they should stop focusing on gimmicks nobody asked for and focus on making great systems that appeal to everyone.

I think they should strive to be a better Nintendo. i'm not going to sit here and say ps4 and xbox are doing it right now because compared to how it was, they aren't either. Nintendo can really go above and beyond instead of relying on ports and pokemon.

tell me what great system Nintendo has come up with that flopped because they took what they did during the snes days and it didn't work for them now.
*waits*

like I said before, I think Nintendo should stop focusing on ports and focus on making great games.
I think they should stop focusing on gimmicks nobody asked for and focus on making great systems that appeal to everyone.

I think they should strive to be a better Nintendo. i'm not going to sit here and say ps4 and xbox are doing it right now because compared to how it was, they aren't either. Nintendo can really go above and beyond instead of relying on ports and pokemon.
So now you’re saying they’re not making great 1st party games?

C’mon man, bias aside that’s a pretty hot take :lol:

And the Switch far and away appeals to more people and audiences than the PS4/Xbox does

I think you’re applying your specific opinion to the masses a little to hard

Back
Top Bottom