• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I figured out what I don’t like about tropical freeze...

The controls/changes made in how dk feels.
Grabbing vines and grass is so weird. His jump is off. You can’t really run so jumping feels strange. Rolling x jump isn’t the same as running and jumping. It’s like I’m fighting against the years of controlling dk from dkc1-3 in order to progress in this game.

The stages wouldn’t be nearly as hard if he controlled the same. I preferred diddy back then by far because of speed but I would take dk’s movement back then over dk’s movement now and it’s not even close.

Swimming is even worse. It wasn’t broke so why try to fix it..?

The trial and error thing doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the unnecessary changes to how dk moves/controls.

Switching between partners should return next game as well. Being reduced to a backpack is weak compared to the originals.

Anyway my son is really into tropical freeze but is stuck at fugu. I put him in funky mode and he plays as dk but that’s not bad considering the difficulty of some of the levels leading up to fugu.
On my own file I’m in world 3 because I’m trying to 100% the game.

So far for me it’s s dkc2 > dkc > dkc3/tropical freeze.

The boss fights are intense but too long.
Music is mid (unpopular opinion but David wise peaked in dkc 2).
Level design is A1 but plagued by controls*
If you’re newer to the series it’s probably no big deal but playing through the OG’s fairly often makes it hard to adapt. Like I know what I’m supposed to do and I can do it but it still feels like a constant step back like yoshis crafted world’s controls compared to yoshis Island or wooly world.

I’m still on world 1 so I don’t wanna jump to conclusions but agree with a lot of this.
Using the bumpers to vine grab feels really awkward.
Mechanically it doesn’t feel as fluid as DKC.

Tropical Freeze DK smokes anyone from DKC. You can RIP through levels in TF, especially when you add another Kong power up.

Keep playing and you'll see.

I'll give you the rope grabbing can be a little spotty.

Does TF have a map like DKC2 that can only be accessed when you collect x number of hidden DK coins? Those levels were legitimately challenging.

Tropical Freeze DK smokes anyone from DKC. You can RIP through levels in TF, especially when you add another Kong power up.

Keep playing and you'll see.

I'll give you the rope grabbing can be a little spotty.
Play dkc2 as diddy, running and cartwheeling non stop through the levels and then compare it to anything in dkc tropical freeze.

David Wise didn’t compose DKC3 but I still feel it :lol:

Let me be clear if I wasn’t already. I love TF, I think it’s actually the best Switch game, aside from maybe Smash even though it’s a port. I just don’t think it’s a better DKC game when compared to DKC 1&2.

Here’s hoping we get DKC: K Rool’s Return

David Wise didn’t compose DKC3 but I still feel it :lol:

Let me be clear if I wasn’t already. I love TF, I think it’s actually the best Switch game, aside from maybe Smash even though it’s a port. I just don’t think it’s a better DKC game when compared to DKC 1&2.

Here’s hoping we get DKC: K Rool’s Return
smash ain’t a port

stop it :lol:

Just bought a bunch of games due to the sale in the eshop with my gold points.

Lets see when I'll ever get around to playing them.

As far as the topic, TF just doesn't top DKC2. Diddy 🔥

The nostalgia too strong 💪
I’d agree. Nostalgia plays a big factor in how we view things from our past. I just replayed the original trilogy last year while I was deployed to Qatar and it reminded me that DKC2 is the best followed by DKC1, TF and then DKC3. Sadly I didn’t get a chance to play DKC: Returns. I was already over the Wii by the time it released.

Shout out to the era where we’d put our controllers down and just listen to the music for a few min before playing through the level(s).
With that said I gotta give credit where it’s due:

This level was fiiiiiiire. Music A1, graphics and everything happening in the level is ridiculous. They combined two of the dopest things in the game. The silhouette filter and the song from the intro/6-1. If we can get that with the OG control scheme...

My son couldn’t hang after the end of world 5 (6-1 crushed his hopes haha) ...so now I’m beating world 6 on both of our files.

Back
Top Bottom