not to sound like a broken record, but....

DON'T FLAME ME, I ONLY MADE THIS TOPIC B/C I WANTED A CLEAN SLATE, NOT CLUTTERED WITH NOOBS/ HBs JUMPING ON THE QUALITY BANDWAGON, PLUS IMO THIS IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ISSUE THAN JUST QUALITY DECLINATION:
Why do so many "older" NTers/ collectors in general still buy OR even still pay attention to Jordan's trash and upcoming releases? I mean we all know the shoes aren't as good as they used to and we constantly complain, but yet A LOT of the complainers/ guys who know exactly why and what happened, still buy new Jordans. I mean sure a CW may not have released in 10+ years (Columbias, Concords, W/c IVs, white/black/ true red Xs (you know which ones), etc), but that doesn't mean you need to buy them. Do you guys really feel the need to have crappy quality retros JUST FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING A SHOE AGAIN when you know they won't be as good? You'd be much happier with the OGs, and I know it's not like you guys don't have the money either, the pairs are still around, sure some more than other, but the "rare" ones do still pop up every now and then
While you guys are free to buy whatever you want, it just is odd to me how so many of you guys complain, yet still go out and buy the stuff on RD (to older collectors especially).

After this year/next year (and the "stuff" drops), I'd really be interested to see how many older collectors are left, since the shoes that still had you paying to attention to Jordans would have already rereleased.

Dude, first of all not all collectors are rich or crazy enough
to spend over 300 bucks for one pair of shoe.
Some do it and dont wear them.
I wear all of my jordans. Imo a shoe that has not been
Worn is like a weapon that has never been used
On the battlefield.
Shoes that are only stored at home cannot be
Neckbreakers.
Some retros have been done worse and some better.
And sometimes i was forced to buy the revent retro
Because my og or previous retro have severe damages
Or being extremely worn out.
This goes for my 1999 iv white/cements, 2000 vi black/reds,
2001 true blues for instance which have cracks, at the
midsoles, crumbling or plastic cracks too.

Originally Posted by jumpman cbt2

On the battlefield.
Neckbreakers.
I know some older pairs don't hold up (it's all in how you store them), but still, I just don't know why people settle for trash, when the older stuff was so much better. I mean sure, I want white- balck/ true red Xs, but I won't buy the retros 1) because it's not the same as owning the OGs since they're the real deal, 2) quality won't be as good, 3)because I want the OGs more (and actually wouldn't doubt a lot popping up on eBay when RD nears). 
You can still wear some of the older stuff, just be careful, 300 for the majority of OGs I-VIs DS isn't even near MP, just saying, yes of course there are some exceptions, and yes I do see your point about that.

I want dannyboy's , MEMPHIS, Cold City etc OPs (older dudes who still buy and who were around for the good stuff and knew how much better it was compared to now)

don't know if he still buys, but ijapino too

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

On the battlefield.
Neckbreakers.
I know some older pairs don't hold up (it's all in how you store them), but still, I just don't know why people settle for trash, when the older stuff was so much better. I mean sure, I want white- balck/ true red Xs, but I won't buy the retros 1) because it's not the same as owning the OGs since they're the real deal, 2) quality won't be as good, 3)because I want the OGs more (and actually wouldn't doubt a lot popping up on eBay when RD nears). 
You can still wear some of the older stuff, just be careful, 300 for the majority of OGs I-VIs DS isn't even near MP, just saying, yes of course there are some exceptions, and yes I do see your point about that.

I want dannyboy's , MEMPHIS, Cold City etc OPs (older dudes who still buy and who were around for the good stuff and knew how much better it was compared to now)

It also depends on how often the pairs have been wornIn a year or the matwrials made.Strangely my 2000 v white/black firereds have absolutelyNo paint and midsole crackings, only yellowingon the netting and outsole.My og 12 and 13 are all wearable. They onlySuffered sole separation, thats it.Imo, the pairs that i sometimes have notWorn for years suffer more cracks than pairsthat has been at least worn few times each year.

Certain shoes have sentamental value, but the OGs aren't wearable (i.e Chicago X). I didn't like the quality of the Flint XIIIs or the upcoming Concord XIs so I bought the 2005 retros and 2000 retros respectively. I want to buy some 99 IVs but I would die if i pay 450+, and the shoes crumbled on me...it's always a toss up when it comes to shoes that have "meaning" to you. *shrug*

simple answer...because they want to. and a better question is why do people even care who gets what?

enough people will settle for what's being put out today that it won't force jb to improve quality. so why worry about what other people do? do you! ...or accept what you have to choose from (high priced older shoes, or newer retros) and live with it.

Originally Posted by BeezyB

simple answer...because they want to. and a better question is why do people even care who gets what?

enough people will settle for what's being put out today that it won't force jb to improve quality. so why worry about what other people do? do you! ...or accept what you have to choose from (high priced older shoes, or newer retros) and live with it.

i know that, but I'm just curious on why the older ACTUAL collectors (non HB) still buy
true mjallday

I think it just comes down to wearability, price, and which Js they are. I used to have some OGs and older retros of some of my all time favorites, but I'd rarely wear them because of their age or felt I'd have to be extra careful when I wore certain pairs. Just got to the point where I felt like I was buying pairs more just to have or for sentimental reasons than to rock. I still appreciate the quality and feel I get from an older pair (still have a few of the more wearable OGs and retros that I wear), but I just want to be able to wear what I have without much fear of messing them up or anything like that.

If I still have a wearable OG or retro of that shoe, I probably won't cop a newer retro, but some of the IIIs, IVs, etc that I have just ain't cutting it for everyday use. End of the day they're still shoes and meant to be worn, which I can do freely with the newer stuff, so I'll cop my favorites when they come back out and maybe put older stuff on ice.

And like MJAllday said, I want some white/cement IVs, but I'd feel like I'm robbing myself if I paid 450+ for a pair of '99s that I really can't even wear. Sure the quality will be better than the 2012s, but I just want to be able to rock some IVs ya know? Guess it comes down to what you're buying them for, to wear, to display, just to have, etc.

Originally Posted by Wayne141

I think it just comes down to wearability, price, and which Js they are. I used to have some OGs and older retros of some of my all time favorites, but I'd rarely wear them because of their age or felt I'd have to be extra careful when I wore certain pairs. Just got to the point where I felt like I was buying pairs more just to have or for sentimental reasons than to rock. I still appreciate the quality and feel I get from an older pair (still have a few of the more wearable OGs and retros that I wear), but I just want to be able to wear what I have without much fear of messing them up or anything like that.

If I still have a wearable OG or retro of that shoe, I probably won't cop a newer retro, but some of the IIIs, IVs, etc that I have just ain't cutting it for everyday use. End of the day they're still shoes and meant to be worn, which I can do freely with the newer stuff, so I'll cop my favorites when they come back out and maybe put older stuff on ice.

And like MJAllday said, I want some white/cement IVs, but I'd feel like I'm robbing myself if I paid 450+ for a pair of '99s that I really can't even wear. Sure the quality will be better than the 2012s, but I just want to be able to rock some IVs ya know? Guess it comes down to what you're buying them for, to wear, to display, just to have, etc.
true, that last sentence says it all

Originally Posted by Wayne141

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]And like MJAllday said, I want some white/cement IVs, but I'd feel like I'm robbing myself if I paid 450+ for a pair of '99s that I really can't even wear. Sure the quality will be better than the 2012s, but I just want to be able to rock some IVs ya know? Guess it comes down to what you're buying them for, to wear, to display, just to have, etc.[/color]
true, that last sentence says it all

Originally Posted by MJ All Day45

Certain shoes have sentamental value, but the OGs aren't wearable (i.e Chicago X). I didn't like the quality of the Flint XIIIs or the upcoming Concord XIs so I bought the 2005 retros and 2000 retros respectively. I want to buy some 99 IVs but I would die if i pay 450+, and the shoes crumbled on me...it's always a toss up when it comes to shoes that have "meaning" to you. *shrug*

This

When a companys quality goes down hill its only natrual for customers who have experienced the peak of that brand to point it out.

There's nothing like opening a box of some good 'ol retros from 1999 - 2001. But at the same time, you gotta have your limits.

I know that there's a 99.99% I would never find a pair of '99 White/Cement IV that are 100% wearable, or Black/Infrared VI's.
Hated the new 3's, so I didn't buy them.  Cherished my '03 White/Cement, '01 Black/Cement, & '01 True Blues even more 
happy.gif

Hated the 2010 Flint XIII's so I went ahead and double up on '05 pairs.   It comes down to preference. 

elcerrito91 wrote:
Why do so many "older" NTers/ collectors in general still buy OR even still pay attention to Jordan's trash and upcoming releases?
I suppose it's force of habit more than anything...

The thing to remember is that a lot of the older generation have been doing this since the late '80s and early '90s ...even if not from an actual collecting standpoint (only a handful can genuinely say they had the foresight to "collect" Jordans back then) but certainly many of us bought our first pairs during those decades and have been buying pairs ever since. That's 20 years+ of paying attention to the Air Jordan line... checking release dates, surfing ebay daily, building up connects etc. When something is such a big part of your life for that long, I think it's natural that you never really let go completely.

For me, I still enjoy surfing NT -and I guess a by-product of that is to "just have a quick browse around the JB forum whilst I'm here."

Personally, I have only bought 3 pairs in the past 3 years (2009 True Blue IIIs and Space Jams, then "relapsed" for the 2011 White/Cement IIIs.)
But the recent treatment of some of my fave CWs such as the Black/Infrared VIs and Bordeaux VIIs were the final straw.

So now I just sit on the sidelines being grumpy and moaning as I watch the younger generation go about their business ... kinda like the three old guys from DTRT
laugh.gif

moa_drt1_big.jpg

On the battlefield.
Neckbreakers.

YEA I'M AN OLDER DUDE (27) WHO STILL BUYS AND I DO REMEMBER THE AWESOME QUALITY THAT JORDAN BRAND USED TO BRING TO THE TABLE BUT I AM ALSO NOT ONE OF THE DUDES WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT DECLINING QUALITY EVERY RELEASE.

IN FACT, I AM PRETTY CONTENT WITH THE QUALITY OF MOST OF THE RETROS. SURE I HAVE SOME QUALMS SOMETIMES (NO 3M ON FLINT 13S...WHAT THE FUUUUUU) BUT THAT REALLY ISN'T A QUALITY ISSUE. MY ROTATION IS LARGE ENOUGH TO WHERE I ONLY WEAR A PAIR ONCE OR TWICE IN YEAR SO QUALITY REALLY DOESN'T AFFECT ME MUCH. I USE THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE MEANT FOR THESE DAYS...LOOKING GOOD AND NOSTALGIA. I DON'T EXPECT MUCH ELSE.

I'M EXCITED FOR 2012 BECAUSE JORDAN BRAND IS LITERALLY DROPPING EVERY SHOE I NEED TO RETIRE. FEELSGOODMAN
pimp.gif

WHAT I REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ARE THESE EARLY RELEASE SITES THAT SELL THESE SUPERFAKES TO DUDES WHO CRAVE THE ATTENTION OF OTHER MEN. SHOE COLLECTING HAS COME OUT THE CLOSET. NO PUN INTENDED.

yall be tripping about the new quality b.s. the quality might not be as good compared to old retros and OG's but they still hold up. i buy all these new retros and i take care of them and they hold up just fine.

Originally Posted by Mikegiron1

yall be tripping about the new quality b.s. the quality might not be as good compared to old retros and OG's but they still hold up. i buy all these new retros and i take care of them and they hold up just fine.

say that 10 years from now...there are OG that are 20+ years old that hold up (OG 1s), You got retro's from 07-08 that are cracking up (Aqua VIIIs, Any pair of IIIs after 03)

You've got to cut your losses. Either you're going to buy what you have available to you, or nothing at all.

I'm 31, been wearing jordans since 89. Its been my preferred sneaker of choice since then. In about 2003 or so, i started collecting seriously.

There are too many that you just cant hold onto forever. They fall apart. So when that new "xxxx" comes out, are you going to be that grumpy old man that complains about how they "dont make em like they used to" and just not buy them, or are you going to suck it up, grab a pair, and enjoy them as much as you possibly can.

they dont make ANYTHING like they used to. Cars, houses, clothing, women....its a fact of life. get over it already.

Some people just like the sound of their own voice, and like to complain.

I got my first pair of Jordans in the 7th grade, 1989, Cement 4's. Since then, I've had at least one pair of each one released since. Have I noticed a decline in quality ? Of course. Does that mean I'm such a shoe snob that I won't wear anything but an OG or OG Retro ? Nope. Will I pay outrageous prices to have a pre-2000 pair just because ? Nope. I have no problem with wearing any of the recent releases if I need to replace older pairs.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

WHAT I REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ARE THESE EARLY RELEASE SITES THAT SELL THESE SUPERFAKES TO DUDES WHO CRAVE THE ATTENTION OF OTHER MEN. SHOE COLLECTING HAS COME OUT THE CLOSET. NO PUN INTENDED.

Yea that is totally true. its ridiculous.

Im actually pretty happy with the quality lately from JB.

I thought the metallic V's were done well

Bin V's!! no need to comment

Jordan 1 Banned anybody???

I thought the cool grey XI's were well done too

True blue 3's werent too bad either

Its been a while but I dont remember hearing too many complaints about the White Cement 3's

The Jordan 2011  was also well done IMO, the patina leather looked great and the two pairs of insoles were a great addition too........YOTR 2011's were really really well done

And yall can quit with the Concord XI, aint none of yall seen the release pairs so save your judgement for when you see the real deal not this early release B.S.

By the way.......Im 29 yrs old, been on J's for as long as I can remember but as far as "collecting", that started a few years ago, so you can call me an HB or an older collector, whatever, Im just saying that not everyone complains about the quality

I'll be 34 years old in 3 weeks and can honestly say that quality of retro's has never been an issue.
I buy what I like and have maintained that people do the same.
I grew up with parents that were working all the time and didn't have much time for me and my brother and whenever we wanted anything
we got it, For me it was shoes and I just didn't appreciate the shoes when I was younger.
It was about having the latest NIKE/JORDAN shoe when none of my friends had them. Guess I was one of the early hypebeasts!!!!

So basically I appreciate retro's whatever the quality because I am able to buy the shoes I had growing up and the rare pairs I didn't manage to get.

Back
Top Bottom