NT General: Why do white people give the most awkward daps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly the traditional firm handshake is in order in a place of professionalism...

... but I've frequently noticed that even for white people I've known for some time, the daps can still be mad awkward. They will either go in for a handshake, which is just awkward to me--particularly and especially when I consider you a good homie--or they will prolong the **** out of it with some extra fist pounds or something.

It's seriously gotten to the point where if I've known you for long enough and we still can't exchange a proper dap, then I just won't even bother; just throw up the deuces and bounce out. Rarely happens when I greet people of color, even when I didn't know them prior.

Anyone else notice this? It's guess it's understandable, especially when I find myself in a more professional environment at school/work, but it sorta bothers the **** out of me when I'm just kickin' it with people I've known for some time.

Please discuss.

im caucasian and i do it on purpose. i go in for the handshake then before contact switch it up to the dap or i go in for a dap then before contact switch it up to a hand shake

I've never had a problem giving daps >D
Maybe its you?

You mean to tell me that you've never experienced that homie that you've known for a while that tries to shake hands instead of giving daps after you've given the same daps to other friends a few seconds prior? Definitely something that I get from time to time.

im caucasian and i do it on purpose. i go in for the handshake then before contact switch it up to the dap or i go in for a dap then before contact switch it up to a hand shake

:lol:. Awkward turtle is awkward.

Has not happen to me in a while but I love watching other people get lost in confusion.

You mean to tell me that you've never experienced that homie that you've known for a while that tries to shake hands instead of giving daps after you've given the same daps to other friends a few seconds prior? Definitely something that I get from time to time.
thas coo doe

no idea, but at the gym theres only one dude who happens to be white, who gives me a handshake everytime I see him rather than a dap. His brother gives the dap, different folks different strokes.

Also, all my mexican amigos give me the dap fallowed by the fist which turns kind of awkward because my hand is already far away from their fist, so now I have to look at the fist and then at them and then be all like "haha..." and give them the fist. Like wut

ib0O4BLvNNjjm1.gif

because alot of white people do just a normal formal handshake now. Its hard to tell sometimes if youre going to do a formal or finger lock. I feel like there was a time where everyone just knew to do the finger lock but now the formal handshake is making its way back.

If he's been my homie for a while he knows to dap me up instead of shaking hands.

:lol: @ that gif!

Last edited:
most of them are only about that regular handshake life.. they absolutely shut down when you try to hit em with one of these.

2799730_o.gif

monta-ellis-handshake.gif

This also has to do with it. Black people have a million different hand shakes. White people have 2 and only 2.

i'm white and run into this problem with white people. :lol: i usually let the other person lead, cause everyone does it different.

i have one friend who when the hands are cupped snaps with his two fingers. :lol: its cool but i cant get it down.

People in California have the worst daps.

They go for the dap and throw in the fist bump afterwards. What's up with that.

I made this thread a few months ago :lol:

White people definitely give the worst shakes... I even seen them giving awkward handshakes to each other.

People in California have the worst daps.
They go for the dap and throw in the fist bump afterwards. What's up with that.

Seriously, I don't **** with the fist bumps, which just makes it completely awkward when I have to reach my hand back out to give one.

And ****, don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm coming at you with some secret-exclusive-club-only handshake or something. Just some daps that I give to the people I consider friends.

I've totally tried to do the let the other person lead thing before, but lately, I've tried to take the lead to establish precedent for the next time.

I just tweeted this the other day. I can't stand when people don't know how to do a proper "five".

palm slap, lace thumbs, slide into a four finger grip, slight downward shake --- release. If you don't do the thumb lace, the palm slap and four finger grip needs to be firm and masculine.

The ish that annoys me is when people do the soft hand touch/grab. Like, cmon my dude, seriously? Why you so soft and feminine with it. Don't give me the the hand touch you give a chick you're being introduced to for the first time that you're not comfortable hugging and giving a cheek kiss just yet .

What about that five + bro one-shoulder hug tho? That ish can get awkward too. "Com'mere, where you think you going. Show some love, b." 
ohwell.gif

The ish that annoys me is when people do the soft hand touch/grab. Like, cmon my dude, seriously? Why you so soft and feminine with it. Don't give me the the hand touch you give a chick you're being introduced to for the first time that you're not comfortable hugging and giving a cheek kiss just yet .

Yet another reason why I've stopped letting people take the lead with the greeting. I just do me and hopefully they can follow without ******g up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom