NT: The People v OJ / 30 for 30: OJ

RG3 had that same I'm not black I'm RG3 mentality like Oj when he first entered the league.

Maybe if he was still OJ from the hood getting love I could see the debate, but dude put on a show till it became reality.

Last edited:
Man......this doc was masterfully put togheter. I've been saying for a couple years, the 30 for 30 docs are some of the best i've ever seen. I watched this with my mom and dad, and there were some things that even they didn't know about. I love how they showed the disconnect between how OJ saw himself and how others saw him. I'm glad ABC showed this on saturday night, because i'm hooked. Pity imma have to find someone to DVR parts 2-4 ( no cable ). But I look forward to them. 

P.S. I had no idea OJ was married to a black woman with kids. I always thought it was just Nicole and him. And BTW, did dude really try to "rape" nicole on the first date and she was ok with that? 
sick.gif

I don't get the issue with wanting to be seen as a man regardless of race. Do you want race to be an issue or don't you? Granted, his celebrity status gave him some love, but i don't feel like he was obligated to participate in any movements. Respect to those who did like ali and kareem, but no one is 'supposed' to do it. he minded his business and lived his life.

now i see what chris darden was talking about when he was talking to his black neighbors and said 'why do ya'll care so much about oj? he abandoned the black community and he doesn't care about yall'.

Again, people are jumping sides. on one hand they say 'race shouldn't matter' then they call darden an uncle tom/sellout because he wasn't supporting oj simply b/c they're both black. Which is it? should race matter or should it not matter?

kinda off topic, but people felt the same way about kobe when he didn't want to take sides in the trayvon martin situation.

Man......this doc was masterfully put togheter. I've been saying for a couple years, the 30 for 30 docs are some of the best i've ever seen. I watched this with my mom and dad, and there were some things that even they didn't know about. I love how they showed the disconnect between how OJ saw himself and how others saw him. I'm glad ABC showed this on saturday night, because i'm hooked. Pity imma have to find someone to DVR parts 2-4 ( no cable ). But I look forward to them. 

P.S. I had no idea OJ was married to a black woman with kids. I always thought it was just Nicole and him. And BTW, did dude really try to "rape" nicole on the first date and she was ok with that? :x

think those are the only kids that he really has interaction with. his kids with nicole pretty much distanced themselves from him.

Last edited:
Has there been info about if his kids with Nicole think he was guilty or innocent? All of this must've been horrible for them.

I don't get the issue with wanting to be seen as a man regardless of race. Do you want race to be an issue or don't you? Granted, his celebrity status gave him some love, but i don't feel like he was obligated to participate in any movements. Respect to those who did like ali and kareem, but no one is 'supposed' to do it. he minded his business and lived his life.

now i see what chris darden was talking about when he was talking to his black neighbors and said 'why do ya'll care so much about oj? he abandoned the black community and he doesn't care about yall'.

Again, people are jumping sides. on one hand they say 'race shouldn't matter' then they call darden an uncle tom/sellout because he wasn't supporting oj simply b/c they're both black. Which is it? should race matter or should it not matter?

kinda off topic, but people felt the same way about kobe when he didn't want to take sides in the trayvon martin situation.

I never said it was his obligation to participate, just that once the white folks saw that he wasn't on that pro-black movement like everybody else, they knew they had him. Did you see that segment with Russell, Brown, Ali, and Kareem? In addition to OJ they were the biggest black athletes around in that time and I'm quite sure white folks were in their feelings once they saw those guys standing for something. To me, it's not far fetched for them to clinch on to a guy like OJ because he wasn't one of "them." Add that to the fact that OJ had a serious case narcissism that allowed him to have that "I'm not black, I'm OJ" mentality. He wanted to be loved by everybody and didn't care where the praise came from, which allowed (as one guy in the doc put it) white people to seduce him. Everybody pretty much had those same sentiments when it came to why his mentality was that way.

Representing your race and supporting your people isn't a "race issue." Acknowledging his blackness would've only been a problem for people who weren't black. The problem I have with his mentality is that it wasn't realistic. Not in the 60s, especially.

That "You're just another black man" wake up call held itself off for 20+ years. It's quite astonishing when you think about it.

Thinking about rolling two "cigs" (don't know if I can talk about the green stuff) and watching this with my girl

Yay or nay?

Well said.

Not sure if OJ was right or wrong about being seen as OJ and not black :lol:

i think its ok to want to be seen as OJ first and not black FIRST. but to lose you identity... to be ok with someone saying "look at all those n*****s with OJ." thats just being a flat out sellout.

Last edited:

the fact is race does matter for almost all black people, excluding a few cultural icons who’ve manage to transcend it. pretending that race and racism doesn't exist isn't going to solve anything. look at a country like brazil for example; they’ve put forth this myth of being a utopia where racism doesn’t exist. in a way the blatant racism black people faced in america benefited us in the long run, since it was obvious what our fight was against. in america we’re much further ahead when it comes to addressing the problems of race and racism. today in brazil black people face extreme racial inequality, all while being told that racism doesn’t exist. brazil will only become the racial democracy that it claims to be when it has an open and honest conversation about race, and racism. personally, my race is something i'm proud of and have no problem acknowledging. it only becomes a problem when others decide to persecute me because of it.

Last edited:

you are taking the times they were living in totally out of context. race shouldnt matter, but it did and it still does. OJ clearly as stated in the doc, had the mentality that he made it out and he's exceptional. if you want to be looked at as equal, you should lace up your boots and be exceptional like me. everybody cant be OJ (at that time) or michael jordan or oprah. life doesnt work like that...and you shouldnt have to be exceptional to be considered equal or accepted by all. white people dont have to be a credit to their race to have equal rights.

you cant compare OJ and Chris Darden's situation to each other because they arent the same situation. If most black people were brutally honest about their feelings right after the trial, they would have told you that they thought OJ was guilty. but that trial was about OJ and just as much about police brutality and systematic racism and injustice in L.A. so, anyone that called Darden a sellout, was calling him a sellout because he was w/ the boys in blue and against finding the LAPD guilty for corruption and injustice more so than OJ.

I too had no idea that he was THAT popular and loved. I knew he was good at football, but didn't know that he was one of the best rb's ever; I don't follow football like that. I also didn't know his commercials were that popular. This seems to be the equivalent of Shaq being accused of double murder.

So he started off extra physical, but she stuck around :smh:

Reminds me of what Darden quoted her saying on the people vs oj: I've had to call the 911 on him 8 times for him beating me, and the police never do anything to him.......... at what point do you leave? If it's my sister/daughter, I'm going to want her to leave after the first incident. After the next 6 times he put hands on her, she didn't think 'maybe I should get out'?

in L.A. OJ was the man. especially with all people in his age range. keep in mind, he was in his early/mid 40s when he went on trial. at USC he was THE MAN. and his 73 season rushing for 2k yards in 14 games is still widely considered as the best single season ever by a RB. his hertz commercials made him a household name. literally the most popular ad on tv.

" we didn't pay attention to lames like mlk, we looked up to the players and pimps! We would watch 'em slap h0s to the ground if they didn't have his money "all while smiling. Man get yo......

this is the way things were for youngsters in inner city san francisco. especially in potrero hill and especially the fillmore district.

hard to expect a young man to want to be MLK, when it doesnt seem like he's making much of a difference...then you look up and see fillmore slim pimpin **** and slammin cadillac doors...looking like a million bucks. he looks like he is above circumstance to the young, immature eye.

Last edited:
RG3 had that same I'm not black I'm RG3 mentality like Oj when he first entered the league.

Based off of what? Something that YOU assume?

Here you have OJ Simpson, OPENLY saying "I'm not black, I'm OJ," and 100% turning his back on an equality movement spearheaded by some of the most prominent black athletes ever....then you turn it to RG3?

How do you even compare the two? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom