NT What Are Your Opinions on the Confederate Flag?

At USC its not that unusual to see flags from different countries hanging around the student dorms. You'll see Canadian flags, various Asian flags etc. On one of the Freshman dorms the past year a kid hung a medium-sized Confederate flag over his balcony that you could easily see from 6 stories down. I've even been in some of my friends Fraternity houses and some of the members choose to hang the Confederate flag in their rooms.
I would always get that 
grin.gif
 look on my face whenever I saw one around campus. People argue that it represents "tradition" or "history", but I say in modern times it only stands for the ideals of secession and slavery. Being to sensitive, am I?

At USC its not that unusual to see flags from different countries hanging around the student dorms. You'll see Canadian flags, various Asian flags etc. On one of the Freshman dorms the past year a kid hung a medium-sized Confederate flag over his balcony that you could easily see from 6 stories down. I've even been in some of my friends Fraternity houses and some of the members choose to hang the Confederate flag in their rooms.
I would always get that 
grin.gif
 look on my face whenever I saw one around campus. People argue that it represents "tradition" or "history", but I say in modern times it only stands for the ideals of secession and slavery. Being to sensitive, am I?

I see it as a sign of ignorance because of the history of that flag. Used to see that %!*% all over when I lived in Florida

I see it as a sign of ignorance because of the history of that flag. Used to see that %!*% all over when I lived in Florida

No you're not being sensitive at all.To some it is something positive and to others (including myself) it represents something negative.I don't get upset when I see it though.

No you're not being sensitive at all.To some it is something positive and to others (including myself) it represents something negative.I don't get upset when I see it though.

Idk. I've actually met a few who take genuine pride in it and it never bothered me with them, but all in all I don't care for it.

Idk. I've actually met a few who take genuine pride in it and it never bothered me with them, but all in all I don't care for it.

I always felt they hung them up to be rebellious no matter who it effects....and seeing that they cant necessarily be told to take it down they use it as a reason to leave them up there

very very few in my eyes see it as a positive thing, but not everyone as stated above see it as a slavery or bad thing either....just black people I guess...Im sure they see it as a north vs south victory in the civil war type thing, while black people see deeper into it as slavery was a part of the war itself

opinion
EDIT-- and me personally, I never cared. No need need to entertain things like this but it kinda tells me the type of person you are right off the bat...be it proud, rebellious, or racist 

I always felt they hung them up to be rebellious no matter who it effects....and seeing that they cant necessarily be told to take it down they use it as a reason to leave them up there

very very few in my eyes see it as a positive thing, but not everyone as stated above see it as a slavery or bad thing either....just black people I guess...Im sure they see it as a north vs south victory in the civil war type thing, while black people see deeper into it as slavery was a part of the war itself

opinion
EDIT-- and me personally, I never cared. No need need to entertain things like this but it kinda tells me the type of person you are right off the bat...be it proud, rebellious, or racist 

It's amazing to me that the Confederate flag has been discontinued since 1865, but America still lets that fly. In Germany you would be arrested for flying a Nazi flag. Nazism in Germany is such a national disgrace that they've banned Swastika's. Hate speech is also not protected under free speech in Germany.

It's amazing to me that the Confederate flag has been discontinued since 1865, but America still lets that fly. In Germany you would be arrested for flying a Nazi flag. Nazism in Germany is such a national disgrace that they've banned Swastika's. Hate speech is also not protected under free speech in Germany.

Originally Posted by ekon one

It's amazing to me that the Confederate flag has been discontinued since 1865, but America still lets that fly. In Germany you would be arrested for flying a Nazi flag. Nazism in Germany is such a national disgrace that they've banned Swastika's. Hate speech is also not protected under free speecI starrt
I started typing u cant be serious and beginning to flame you but the more i think about it the Confederate states and Nazi Germany did have some similarities i guess
grin.gif

Originally Posted by ekon one

It's amazing to me that the Confederate flag has been discontinued since 1865, but America still lets that fly. In Germany you would be arrested for flying a Nazi flag. Nazism in Germany is such a national disgrace that they've banned Swastika's. Hate speech is also not protected under free speecI starrt
I started typing u cant be serious and beginning to flame you but the more i think about it the Confederate states and Nazi Germany did have some similarities i guess
grin.gif

I dont really have a problem with it. I see southerners who moved here to west fly is proudly. Some people may have a problem with it because those not from the south associate it with racism, slavery, rednecks, hillibillys etc etc

Back
Top Bottom