NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^ How much have you spent on beer in the 2.5 months of 2014?
sick.gif
Nice pickup as always
Enough to party.

...but in all honesty: at least $600.  Good decision maker, I am not.

Wow comparison.. Sorry I hyped up GI the illinois so much... Funny story. My local total wine had it cheaper bought in singles than in 4 pack form..

I usually miss out on Firkin Fridays at La Cumbre.. They happened to have Elevated IPA "casked"/ Real ale style dry hopped on Chinook hops..

It looks murky. But wow. So darn good.. Carbonation is mellowed. Its served at the higher end of acceptable temperature levels. But it has a strange hop mellowness.. The whole beer was quite the trip. A lot of room temp. beers can be in the 60 degree range and that is more harsh. This stuff was around 50. I think thats perfectly acceptable for a IPA. Stouts can go as high as 70 degrees.

Most people there were in the St. Patricks Day spirit.. Tons of malpais stouts, and their seasonal Irish Dry Stout.. They had their Irish stout on Cask... I had to go with that at least once... Carbonation was near zero. Room temperature. The dryness was mellowed quite a bit.. Lovely stuff from La Cumbre.

I got to sample their La Negra (Russian Imperial Stout). They have it in bombers. It was almost straight molasses, and a thick dark syrup type sweetness. Serving temp. was near that of their other beers. I would sit on that for an hr. if I had bought it... I see a few recommending a nice year in the cellar. This would be one beer I would do that to right away without hesitation.

tee eye ohm,
^ nice selection.. Even though project dank is on pace to becoming the #1 IPA in american according to BA reviewers, it just doesnt seem like a beer that has a solid well rounded following.. The internet/trade era has this one winning out. Even though actual New Mexicans are enjoying the other beers they have to offer more.

If you've been following me the past three months on here, I am conflicted every time I potentially buy the project dank bombers. Elevated's price point and value far surpasses it. But I've left wanting to buy it every time something new is released.

With every new release, and the time frame from bottling date to drinking, comes with an extreme challenge for consumers.. They may or may not be drinking something that was reviewed "GREAT" before them... I would personally reverse the dank and elevated review scores (100 vs. 97). Elevated isn't getting its due with this new higher priced "hype" stuff. It's good, but three times as much, cost wise good? I'm conflicted lol

Last edited:
Wow comparison.. Sorry I hyped up GI the illinois so much... Funny story. My local total wine had it cheaper bought in singles than in 4 pack form..
No need to be sorry.  For a DIPA, it's one of the easiest drinking I've ever had. Definitely don't regret giving it a shot.

do any of you guys consider yourself a beer snob?
me and my homies talk about snobby IPA drinkers cuz they swear its the best and wont drink anything else.. then i told them we are snobby too because we dont drink IPA but will touch everything else :lol:

I wouldnt say Im a snob, but I definitely wont buy "bad" beer. I'll drink it if its available to me for free at a party, function, etc but no way will I purchase sub-par beer with my own hard earned money.

Beer is honestly one of those things when you step up it's hard to go back even when it's cheap or free. It's easy to become a "snob" because it really comes down to taste.

I wouldnt say Im a snob, but I definitely wont buy "bad" beer. I'll drink it if its available to me for free at a party, function, etc but no way will I purchase sub-par beer with my own hard earned money.

Pretty much my way of thinking too. I never preach to people or act like a jerk if people are drinking what I don't care for. I also never refuse a free beer unless I am driving my babies around.

And IPAs are def tough to get used to, I think a lot of folks are only pretending to like it at first because they think they're supposed to. After a while though it does taste like a refreshing mango drink to me. Wouldn't be my preference for beer but I do enjoy a good one.

I've been drinking REDDs Apple Ale lately. That's my favorite right now. Also love that Miller Fortune..

Not by first choice but it kind of happens

Went by a local place. Chama river brewing for lunch. Great beef tenderloin blue cheese Cobb salad. No photos.
Had their big head red Ipa. 7.2% Abv and 120 ibu. Very deep red caramel flavor and some solid pine hop flavor. Almost more of a red Ipa or brown/black Ipa. The malts were up front and center. Finished lunch with a sleeping dog stout. 6% Abv. Very creamy feeling. Solid burnt malt taste. As good as any basic stout that I've had.

Went by a local place called il vicino. Here's a quick photo of their Vienna lager
maybe my favorite of the day. Very crisp like a lager should be. But at 6.8% Abv, the sweetness was remarkable. 15 ibu. Amazing stuff. It had a tripel like sweetness... I like this non hopped style of beer.

Finished up at that place with a Southern hemisphere pale ale.. The hops reminded me directly of a La Cumbre type IPA beer... I've been following their Dank lineup and they have been using some New Zealand hop and even some South African hops..... I may regret it but anything at this point in time with Southern Hemisphere hops may be the way to go for that nice tropical fruit flavor

Last edited:
Beer is honestly one of those things when you step up it's hard to go back even when it's cheap or free. It's easy to become a "snob" because it really comes down to taste.
see i drink all types of beer though, i buy coors light, blue moon, widmer, stella, corona... then on wed with the homies we go to our little brew pub and drink all the other stuff you cant buy at the store... sundays we go to total wine grab some 22ozers and do "tastings" while eating sunday dinner while our families are playing...

I'm known as the guy who likes "weird" beers. I think snobbery goes both ways.:smh: My family/circle is slowly changing their tune though. I've been judged more by outsiders than I myself have dished back out. I guess you could call me a recipient of snobby behavior

Last edited:
I'm known as the guy who likes "weird" beers. I think snobbery goes both ways.:smh: My family/circle is slowly changing their tune though. I've been judged more by outsiders than I myself have dished back out. I guess you could call me a recipient of snobby behavior

Same here :smh:

Anytime I go to my boy's place to catch a game, I always pick up a six-pack of something decent to good. The boy's GF always asks why I keep bringing weird beers.

My dad recently called me a beer snob :lol: :lol:

I replied that I take it as a compliment :nthat:

His fridge was full of cans of MGD, but after months of coercion persuasion he drinks mostly Franziskaner and other german hefe's now and appreciates the quality of good beer.

It's just ignorant & unnecessary to buy low quality - cheap tasting brews 24/7, not when higher quality is virtually the same price.

My BA and untappd usernames: OktoberFiesta.. I'll try to add you guys... I spent more time reviewing and cataloging stuff here than any other place.

What's funny is, a brewery or bar can track their page and realize they over served a patron. Or realize a whole group went from one place to another, to another. If people want to read my posts thats fine, but to give them a catalog of easy to report incriminating evidence..... I dont know? Maybe im thinking about it from a alcoholic perspective lol

Grabbed some Ruthless Rye for the week ahead. Damn cold in my throat makes drinking not very fun. Probably have a glass of bourbon instead tonite

Back
Top Bottom