NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Was hype to grab this 2017 vintage bottle of Banana Hammock from a local DE brewery, Crooked Hammock, this morning. This is a 15% belgian quad with bananas and chocolate. They probably only had about 10 of these vintage bottles between two locations and most of the employees ended up snatching them. Also got a 4pk of this years release to compare

Attachments

• 69A3F3B6-86A4-4B10-8D70-0E0B317856F3.jpeg
    69A3F3B6-86A4-4B10-8D70-0E0B317856F3.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 67
Here’s a logistics question for you guys. Why do you guys think the craft brew scene has blown up in the past 5 years. Was it because people finally listened to their taste buds and realized these domestic watered down beers are horrible (bud, coors, pbr)? Was it the engineering behind these craft beers that brought out taste all while keeping alcoholic content? I’m not against it. Beer is at its peak. Best time for it. I just wanna know what cause this bloom

Hazy IPAs

IPAs have always been the mainstay of craft beer. West coast style dominated. Hazy IPAs brought the already IPA lovers as well as those who thought the WC style as too bitter

Instagram also played a huge part as almost any 4 pack/16 oz cab brewery will tell you. Contributes to hype as well as trading.

it was really lighting in a bottle for breweries like Treehouse, Trillium, Tired Hands, Other Half.

Here’s a logistics question for you guys. Why do you guys think the craft brew scene has blown up in the past 5 years. Was it because people finally listened to their taste buds and realized these domestic watered down beers are horrible (bud, coors, pbr)? Was it the engineering behind these craft beers that brought out taste all while keeping alcoholic content? I’m not against it. Beer is at its peak. Best time for it. I just wanna know what cause this bloom
Kind of a perfect storm, if you ask me. Hazy IPAs and pastry stouts were a thing before IG and other social media platforms were so prevalent (Heady Topper and Hunahpu's), but they were still in their infancy. Nowadays you're bombarded with hype and new advancements from other breweries, so not only are they able to constantly put themselves out there but they also have a huge following of beer nerds that do a lot of the leg-work for them. It's just been a snowball of "bigger and better" in this day and age, and with the addition of all of these weird fruited Berliners and slurpee sours a whole new avenue has been carved for hypebeast beer nerds. They've successfully used social media to constantly keep their following tuned in while exploiting the FOMO element.

There's always gonna be a place for lagers, saisons, Belgians, and more "traditional" beers, but these hype breweries know exactly what they're doing and they're milking it to the best of their ability. We'll see how long these styles stay in fashion before the next big thing comes along.

I’m actually not seeing a whole lot of new drinkers who are 30+. If they aren’t drinking craft by now, they never will. I know some macro for life guys. So we’re now seeing this new wave of drinkers who saw their parents drink the unique and good stuff.
Then there’s FOMO. Pokémon for adults is how I view it. People are always searching for the new big great thing.
Hype. Limited quantities. People inherently like when they have something others don’t have.
Beer that doesn’t taste like beer. Think of beers like grapefruit sculpin who sort of started the whole adjunct Phase. Now everything is pineapple smooth or juicy this or juicy that.

I think lastly, the beer itself can be really good. Many of it is worth the hype. Now a days, you don’t have to go far or even really trade.

right now there are a lot of fads and you have to keep the hyperactive ‘kids’ entertained. The new wave is beyond fickle. There is very little brand loyalty.

For what it’s worth, re: macro life guys

I’m a craft and macro for life guy. Both serve its purpose. Craft beers for when I know I’m only going to have a few. Macro lagers if I know I’ll be drinking for an extended period of time.

My friends know that I’m a Miller for life guy but probably couldn’t tell you my favorite IPA :lol:

Other Half 4th Anniversary

The original is one of the first OH beers I’ve ever had. It still stands the test of time. Despite being a triple, it’s incredibly well balanced. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Tasting like juicy fruit bubble gum with a malty/piney finish thats also crisp. Love this beer

260077CA-21E8-4074-841B-628CEA24158C.jpeg

Tried Julius and Green this weekend since ive read most people prefer one or the other

I think im definitely a Green guy

Green>Julius>Alter Ego>Doppelganger>Sap>Haze>Bright is my breakdown of the colored cans

Didn't include Eureka because it's not a fair comparison (still love that beer anyways, extremely underrated session IMO) and I haven't had enough Hurricane or Super Typhoon to include them.

Love Super Typhoon. Green is the best IPA on the planet next to Space Diamonds but that’s obvious personal preference. Doubleganger is awesome as well.

speaking of underrated, Lights On is criminally underrated

got someone grabbing Gggreennn today for me so excited to finally try that. He’s got some other (former) whales too he’s throwing in

anybody have Triple Shot yet? I tend to prefer Treehouses “pastry stouts” over any other breweries because the sweetness is subtle

Love Super Typhoon. Green is the best IPA on the planet next to Space Diamonds but that’s obvious personal preference. Doubleganger is awesome as well.

speaking of underrated, Lights On is criminally underrated

got someone grabbing Gggreennn today for me so excited to finally try that. He’s got some other (former) whales too he’s throwing in

anybody have Triple Shot yet? I tend to prefer Treehouses “pastry stouts” over any other breweries because the sweetness is subtle
+1 to Lights On. That and Eureka are probably my favorite low ABV beers that aren't sour. Incredible taste and mouthfeel all things considered.

I've only had one bottle of Triple Shot, but I remembered enjoying it a lot. Shipped it down to Fort Worth to split with my friends at my friend's place in 100+ degree weather and it got unanimous praise, if that's any indication of its quality. :lol:

Speaking of, same friend in Texas is about to be a father for the first time next month. We took a trip to Amsterdam back in November and had the opportunity to share some Cantillon bottles which he absolutely loved. Gonna see if some friends wanna pitch in and send him some Fou Foune and Lou Pepe bottles after his wife delivers.

8E525238-1EFD-4A15-984B-9C9C91094BB5.jpeg

Triple Shot. Really digging this, I’ve always liked Treehouses the best for some reason. Combines balance, flavor and drink ability all in one.

Back
Top Bottom