NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Ryda421, thanks for that bit of info. I'll have to check out Dillions next time I'm near Hollywood.

Had some Stone Lucky Bastard the other day.

Damn good double IPA.

good call on both pickups. that duvel glass is one of my favorites. the etched 'D' in the bottom of the glass keeps a nice steady head.

thanks, looking forward to un-ds it this week. the tulip glass is probably my favorite to drink brew out of, just captures the head of the beer so well :pimp:

it's funny the employee I talked to mentioned they just got lucky bastard in today and showed me this one too, 9% ABV alone makes this a must cop, and it's limited!! :x

Last edited:
Ryda421, thanks for that bit of info. I'll have to check out Dillions next time I'm near Hollywood.

Damn good double IPA.

for sure man, it's always cool talking to craft beer people.

not to be a snob or anything but did you say the lucky bastard was an IPA? because from what i heard it's categorized as an american strong ale. actually, after reading the info about lucky bastard, it's pretty cool how it was made. it's a combination of double bastard, arrogant bastard and oaked arrogant bastard. and did you try the 2012 double bastard? man that stuff is good. the thing that i really liked about it was the fact it's 11.2% abv (2011 was 10.5%abv) and it definitely didn't taste like 11.2%

also have you tried the enjoy by?

man, that's the best imperial IPA or IPA for that reason, that i have ever tried. i suggest any people from ohio or colorado to check if their store has them but probably not. i remember the califronia and new jersey batch sold out in hours here in CA. and what is crazier was the line which was at pasadena company store. we were in line for 2 hours only to get turned away at the door and be told there was no more.

if any of you guys are interested in chocolate stouts, Stone recently made a mint chocolate stout.

it's pretty good but too much can make you feel sick in the stomach. this happened to me when i drank 40 oz. of it :lol:

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye out for that one. Came home last night from a long day at work and wifey had made me a burger and picked up a 22oz CBC Audacity of Hops. I definitely recommend it if you can get your hands on it.

One of my favorites, best part is I can go straight to the source.......:nthat:

Comparison Ford, I was up in Burlington, VT last month and was able to enjoy the greatness that is Heady Topper. Hopefully they start shipping to MA soon.

Last edited:
Ryda421, you're right. For some reason I thought it had said double IPA on the label of the LB.

I've sampled both batches of Enjoyby on tap, couldn't get any bottles of the first batch. Apparently, the second time around different hops were used for dry hopping. I liked the first version a little better.

I haven't tried any of this years Double Bastard yet, but it is one of my favorite seasonal beers so I'll be having some soon enough. I wasn't a big fan of the Mint Chocolate Stout though, it had too much of an overpowering roasted malt flavor for my liking.

I'm going to try to make my way to Stone for Friday's specialty fill: Suitable for Cave Aging - An Imperial Smoked Porter Tribute to Danny Williams aged in Bourbon Barrels

Grabbed a 12pack of Fat Tire for 12.99 this evening... Way too good of price to pass up... Need to grab some Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin and Dogfish Head Midas Touch and 120min IPA

Ryda421, you're right. For some reason I thought it had said double IPA on the label of the LB.

I've sampled both batches of Enjoyby on tap, couldn't get any bottles of the first batch. Apparently, the second time around different hops were used for dry hopping. I liked the first version a little better.

I haven't tried any of this years Double Bastard yet, but it is one of my favorite seasonal beers so I'll be having some soon enough. I wasn't a big fan of the Mint Chocolate Stout though, it had too much of an overpowering roasted malt flavor for my liking.

I'm going to try to make my way to Stone for Friday's specialty fill: Suitable for Cave Aging - An Imperial Smoked Porter Tribute to Danny Williams aged in Bourbon Barrels

same. i also tried both however the first batch i only tasted from the bottle hand the second batch was tasted from the tap. for some reason the tap one (second batch) tasted more fresh. it almost tasted like sparklingly water :lol: also, i thought it was the same recipe, but who knows, i'm probably wrong.

yeah, you should definitely try the double bastard, i got dumb and bought the 3 liter, :lol: that thing doesn't even fit in my fridge. yeah the mint chocolate is too over powering, perhaps an 8 oz taster and i'm good.

cool. yeah i'm still debating whether or not to go. last time i tasted the suitable for cave aging was at the open house and although it was a strong stout, it tasted a little too much like liquor. but who knows, i was pretty drunk by the time i got to that beer :lol: one beer which was really good was the ruination with habanero peppers, that's probably one of the best chili beers which i have tasted. the second would be the rogue with chipotle.

do you plan on trying the perfect crime? it's a black smoked saison. i tried the saison du buff and it was nothing special. maybe the smoked one will be better

Last edited:
Sam Adams Winter collection is out. Walmart has been getting cheaper on some of the craft beers.. Impressive Prices for the most part...I didn't pick up one just yet. The weather is too nice here to be stuck with the dark stuff.

I said it before. But the more I drink, the more I want some of the same stuff. I'm getting into a groove.. Any time Hoegaarden is $14/12 pack or less, I jump on board...

I also picked up some Paulaner Oktoberfest in a six pack. I am almost beyond words with this beer. It is slowly becoming one of my all time favorites.. The malt character alone has me loving this one. With almost zero hop presence, it's a different type of enjoyment for me. There are a lot of beers out there but this one just does it for me.. Perfect.
----

Home brew news.. This is about as clear of a beer we can get at this point given our own time restrictions wanting to drink it ASAP, and brewing habits/equipment.. From brewing to drinking, this photo shows about 5 weeks time on the beer.

Cascade Blonde Ale

Color is there. It just needs a bit more time to truly age this one into a great clarity....

Last edited:
Nice looking brew you got there, Wally.

Ryda,

The 3 liter growlers are awesome, but not very practical. 
laugh.gif
 I've thought about the fridge issues but they're a bit too pricey for me either way.

I haven't had an Imperial Porter in a while so I'm kind of looking forward to trying the Suitable for Cave Aging. I grabbed a liter of the Ruination with habanero the day after the grand opening, definitely enjoyed it. I could feel the heat of the peppers lingering in the back of my throat (o_0). Did you try the Sublimely Self Righteous w/ espresso? I loved the aroma and flavor. Smells like fresh hops. I'm looking forward to that pour a week from this Friday, too.

I'll definitely be trying the Black Smoked Saison just to try it, not sure what to expect. Saison Du Buff was a really enjoyable beer. I'm not too familiar with Saisons but I did like that collaboration more so than some of the others.

You familiar with Stuffed Sandwich? 

Last edited:
Nice looking brew you got there, Wally.

Ryda,

The 3 liter growlers are awesome, but not very practical. :lol:  I've thought about the fridge issues but they're a bit too pricey for me either way.

I haven't had an Imperial Porter in a while so I'm kind of looking forward to trying the Suitable for Cave Aging. I grabbed a liter of the Ruination with habanero the day after the grand opening, definitely enjoyed it. I could feel the heat of the peppers lingering in the back of my throat (o_0). Did you try the Sublimely Self Righteous w/ espresso? I loved the aroma and flavor. Smells like fresh hops. I'm looking forward to that pour a week from this Friday, too.

I'll definitely be trying the Black Smoked Saison just to try it, not sure what to expect. Saison Du Buff was a really enjoyable beer. I'm not too familiar with Saisons but I did like that collaboration more so than some of the others.

You familiar with Stuffed Sandwich? 

haha yeah i thought about it but i figured hey what the hell, might as well get one. i like it because of the refill. even though i may have to drink some of it warm due to the fridge issue :lol:

yeah i get you. you might as well try it out. if you don't mind me asking, how many growlers do you have from stone? exactly, that was the first chilli/pepper beer which you feel that burn after you drink it :lol: and me being latino, spiciness is something i always love. yup, i tried the sublimely with espresso, i tasted the beans in it, kind of gave it a coffee taste to me. out of all the double dry hopped series, which one have you tried? i tried the ruination, stone ipa, and sublimely. you can definitely tell the difference, they all tasted more hoppy and more 'crisp' taste. very good stuff.

same, i want to try the black smoked saison, that was the first time trying a saison. i'm not saying saison du buff is a complete embarrassment, but i just expect more. it's a good summer ale, but not really sure for fall/winter. i tried both saison du buff from the bottle and the 500 ml series which is aged in red wine barrels. and they kind of tasted the same. if i had a choice, i'd rather drink the cali-belgique. the cali-belgique aged in red wine barrel was really good. it had a bubble gum flavor to it which was really nice. have you tried it? out of all the collaborations which i have tried, i think the TBA (bear republic and fat head) was the top at least for now.

never heard of stuffed sandwich, but i looked it up and it looks pretty cool. very nice beer menu and the food looks/sounds interesting as well. have you been there ?

Last edited:
for sure man, it's always cool talking to craft beer people.
not to be a snob or anything but did you say the lucky bastard was an IPA? because from what i heard it's categorized as an american strong ale. actually, after reading the info about lucky bastard, it's pretty cool how it was made. it's a combination of double bastard, arrogant bastard and oaked arrogant bastard. and did you try the 2012 double bastard? man that stuff is good. the thing that i really liked about it was the fact it's 11.2% abv (2011 was 10.5%abv) and it definitely didn't taste like 11.2%
also have you tried the enjoy by?

man, that's the best imperial IPA or IPA for that reason, that i have ever tried. i suggest any people from ohio or colorado to check if their store has them but probably not. i remember the califronia and new jersey batch sold out in hours here in CA. and what is crazier was the line which was at pasadena company store. we were in line for 2 hours only to get turned away at the door and be told there was no more.
if any of you guys are interested in chocolate stouts, Stone recently made a mint chocolate stout.

it's pretty good but too much can make you feel sick in the stomach. this happened to me when i drank 40 oz. of it :lol:

I was able to get my hands on the Enjoy by Nov 9 ipa and man it was delicious. I was also at Oceanside for the mint chocolate stout growler fill. Thought it was going to be more limited but I've gotten 12 bottles at total wine. Looking forward to the Ruination w/ habanero peppers fill

Ryda,

I only have a 2 liter growler but a couple of friends have 2 liter growlers too and another has a 1 liter. I haven't tried any of the double dry hopped brews yet. I've kind of been gravitating toward the less hoppy beers as of late, but I'll hopefully get around to trying them when they reappear.

Stuffed Sandwich is pretty much the place where my interest in micro brews began, many many years ago,
laugh.gif
 and are pretty well known in the craft beer community.  They've been in business since the late 70's I think, and have always been about obtaining rare/craft beers from all around the world. The owners are very knowledgeable and have some pretty cool stories to tell. It's worth checking out sometime. They have a different theme on tap every month, every Sept. is Stone on tap, for example. This month is IPA's/Imperial IPA's as you might have seen on their website. I have to warn you though, take your own glass or be prepared to buy one when you arrive (they have a big selection) or you'll be served in a paper cup. They don't "wash dishes".
laugh.gif
 I know sounds weird but consider yourself forewarned. Also, they aren't allowed to sell alcohol without the purchase of food so go with an appetite. I would recommend the pastrami and italian sub sandwich.

einstok white ale>blue moon, i've been hooked on the newcastle werewolf though

I was able to get my hands on the Enjoy by Nov 9 ipa and man it was delicious. I was also at Oceanside for the mint chocolate stout growler fill. Thought it was going to be more limited but I've gotten 12 bottles at total wine. Looking forward to the Ruination w/ habanero peppers fill

yup. enjoy is very good. wish i could have gotten at least 2 growler fills of it, hopefully they make more. yeah same man :lol: i thought everyone was going to go crazy for the mint chocolate, ended up getting like 6 bottles of it lol i will perhaps be in oceanside this weekend want to try and get some black saison or other specialty fills. also, want to check out breakwater, have you been there?

Ryda,
I only have a 2 liter growler but a couple of friends have 2 liter growlers too and another has a 1 liter. I haven't tried any of the double dry hopped brews yet. I've kind of been gravitating toward the less hoppy beers as of late, but I'll hopefully get around to trying them when they reappear.

Stuffed Sandwich is pretty much the place where my interest in micro brews began, many many years ago,:lol:  and are pretty well known in the craft beer community. They've been in business since the late 70's I think, and have always been about obtaining rare/craft beers from all around the world. The owners are very knowledgeable and have some pretty cool stories to tell. It's worth checking out sometime. They have a different theme on tap every month, every Sept. is Stone on tap, for example. This month is IPA's/Imperial IPA's as you might have seen on their website. I have to warn you though, take your own glass or be prepared to buy one when you arrive (they have a big selection) or you'll be served in a paper cup. They don't "wash dishes".:lol:  I know sounds weird but consider yourself forewarned. Also, they aren't allowed to sell alcohol without the purchase of food so go with an appetite. I would recommend the pastrami and italian sub sandwich.

cool. i thought you would have more. my dumbass has 8 2 liter growlers because i have them sitting in my gf's cellar. in case you don't check out the facebook for the pasadena store on friday the 23rd of november they will have double dry hopped arrogant bastard, can't wait to try that out.

thanks on that info man. will definitely check it out. living here in hollywood, there are hardly any good craft beer spots. and i don't want to be drinking and driving and go too far out of my way. do you live in that san gabriel valley area? if so, you're lucky. and good looks on the heads with the cups and how they operate, i would have shown up empty handed :lol: i like little 'hidden' gems like this don't really care if they tell you that you must show up with your own box haha still cool to find out about these spots. will check back in, when i go

thanks again

Last edited:
^ need to try that white xmas from sam. anyone try their whitewater IPA? blend of the white ale and latitude ipa i think. really good.

Back
Top Bottom