NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

sipping on one of my winter favs

Good Stuff :nthat:

:pimp: This.

Can someone for the love of god tell me what there is to dark beers? I mean, does it make you feel any different? Or do you just feel cool drinking nasty stuff. All the hipsters are recently about it so I'm just like ehh.

Good Stuff
nthat.gif
pimp.gif
This.

Can someone for the love of god tell me what there is to dark beers? I mean, does it make you feel any different? Or do you just feel cool drinking nasty stuff. All the hipsters are recently about it so I'm just like ehh.
Your opinions are flawed for the following reasons:

1.  You make the assumption that all "dark beers" taste the same.  There's stouts, porters, black IPAs, etc etc.  Stouts and black IPAs are dark beers, but they're at complete opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to taste.

2.  You make the assumption that all "dark beers" are inherently nasty.  Founders Breakfast Stout is a dark beer, but its praise is pretty much unanimous.  It tastes like chocolatey coffee.  That's nasty to you?

3.  You make the assumption that people drink these beers to be cool or different.  Believe it or not, some people like the taste of roasted malts, some people like bourbon-barrel aged stouts, some people like the complexity that a lot of these beers offer.  

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Please
:pimp: This.

Please educate yourself before making ignorant posts like this one. Just because it's darker doesn't mean it's bolder or mor flavorful. I've had white stouts that pour like budlight but taste like chocolate and coffee. Or clear beer that is extremely bitter. Keep drinking your shock top with an orange slice in it while my girlfriend and I enjoy our Black Tuesday.

Wow. Great pickups here lately. I think I may be glad nothing too too amazing is sold where I live. Beer budget would be through the roof.

yeahitsRUST, did another side by side with a draft LC ipa and a 3 week old canned.. I actually blind picked the can. I feel let down... Although I guess that's a compliment to them as well... Clarity wise, the last time around I think I may have taken a photo or compared them when the beer still had some minor chill haze.. They were nearly identical this time around. I spotted a hint more hop character in the can. Who knows if its a batch to batch difference, or its me. I think growlers may be out of the equation here.

---
That chile pepper beer sounds crazy. It's available around my way but I dont know if I would venture into spending that much on something that will hurt... I have had SKaa Brewery's Mole Stout. Nice hints of chile in the aftertaste.

Has anyone tried Stone's Southern Charred or Deschutes Abyss?

I had some Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale on draft on Monday... As a strong ale, I kind of look for some deeper flavors or some sweetness.. Nothing really stood out here in that regard. A touch on the bitter side, and when it did warm up, the hop character got much better tasting along with the other malts... Not sure if I would try again.

I'm thinking of trying some Stone Double Bastard strong ale to compare.

----
When you guys are in a store, what makes you want to try a random beer? What sticks out?
Loaded question.. Sometimes I go by style. If I feel like an IPA, i may look towards any new release IPAs or those I haven't tried.. Sometimes it may be a reputation thing.. If I know I like a Weihenstephaner hefeweizen, I may want to try their other beers too... More often than not, review scores online are the most helpful.. I may give a fringe 70 rated beer a much better chance than one that is 60, especially with so many in the 90s, why spend money on experimentation?

Here is my latest. Love living in Michigan when it comes to beer.

Goose Island Lolita

Jolly Pumpkin Weizen Bam

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere

Arbor Brewing Flamboyant Wild Red Ale

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff being posted.  I've been getting my hands on some piff recently myself.  Here's today's pickups:

Props to da shoefreak for the Pliny and the Black Tuesday. Props to da god at the beer distributor for the free Goose Island glass. Oh..and that 16 oz. growler?  That's the new Bourbon County.

Last edited:
this beer is amazing

21st Amendment x Elysian "He Said" Pumpkin Ale 8.2%

One is a Tripel and one is a Baltic Porter

Last edited:
Figuring that I should drink the Pliny as fresh as possible, I decided not to waste any time.  Pours a clear, golden-amber color with a soapy head that dissipates slowly.  Aroma is mostly citrus with hints of pine and a touch of the malt backbone.  Flavor is similar.  Upon first sip it's easy to understand why this is considered a world-class beer. Just a really citrusy, fresh, clean tasting IPA.  Alcohol presence is virtually nonexistent.  While I know that this beer is constantly compared to Heady Topper and vice-versa, I don't think it's so easy to pick a clear winner.  It really all depends on what types of hops you enjoy.  Personally, I enjoy Heady more than this only because I like the floral taste that are common among east coast IPAs.  However, this is the pinnacle of west coast IPAs and I can see why it garners such a reputation.  10/10

Okay...time for another.  This time around I'm gonna give this year's Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout its day in court.

I remember the first time I had this beer last year I thought it was awful.  Then a few days later I started craving another bottle. By the time I was on the last bottle in the 4-pack I was sold.  Pours pitch black with a tan/mocha head that dissipates virtually instantaneously.  Aroma is vanilla, coconut, bourbon, roasted malts, toffee, caramel, and a little chocolate.  As far as taste goes, I don't know if my palette has grown to tolerate this beer more, but this year's version seems a lot more mellow than the 2012 version.  Luckily this isn't a bad thing.  For a 15% beer, this really isn't that "hot" of a beer.  The flavors blend together so nicely. Just a really enjoyable sipper.  Can't wait until this comes out in bottles, and I definitely can't wait until they release all of the different variations.  Will be buying all of them.  I hate to keep giving such high scores, but when you're dealing with world-class beers it's hard to deny how good they really are.  10/10

I saved $8 but Total Wine still kicked my butt today. I did some early Thanksgiving festivity shopping. I'm thankful I have family who likes trying new things. Weather was terrible this afternoon with cloudy, rainy, windy, and cold conditions. I got suckered in by their winter seasonal selection... Nothing rare or probably too highly rated here. I know the scores of maybe 4 here. I've tried just one or two within the past month.. We'll be trying one- a few an evening split between a number of us, comparing none to the other. I'm going away from my comfort zone here..

Full list in spoiler
From top left to right and down
Leinekugels snowdrift Vanilla porter
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Skaa Euphoria Pale Ale
Alaskian Winter Ale
Abita Christmas Ale
Odell Isolation Ale
Blue Moon Abbey Ale
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Goose Island Sixth Day
Widmer Brrr
Redhook Winter Hook
Shiner Holiday Cheer
Rogue yellow snop IPA
Anchor christmas
Boulder Never Summer Ale
Tommy Kocker Cocoa Porter
Gouden Carolus (most expensive of the bunch)
New Belgium Accumulation IPA
Deschutes JubeAle
Big Sky Powder Hound
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
Samuel Smith Winter Welcome
Full Sail Winter Ale
Again, most stuff is run of the mill. But since I haven't tried but one or two, and don't really know the review scores of 90% of them, this is gonna be one nice simple sampling. Plus it appears all of these are this years seasonals, meaning they are just months or weeks old.

To offset all those random purchases, I went with a few knowns.

Tonight
Marble Oatmeal Stout
5.8% ABV
90 BA Score

Very solid oatmeal stout. No true sweetness qualities to the taste. Mouthfeel is a touch on the light side, with the flaked oatmeal coming through just a bit. Some real bitter chocolate and coffee flavors (could be the hops here too). It reminds me of all of the other great ones... Samuel Smith's, ipswitchs' , sierra nevadas' etc... Since it's local, I just may be more prone to not trying many of the others since they are so similar. 92/100.. I still haven't found a stout that I truly "hate". It's a hard to mess up genre..

I've been meaning to try Odell's Mychenary Double IPA (96 BA score) for months now.. I finally bit the bullet. I'll get one tasting in tonight.

Also spotted a bomber of Stone's Double Bastard, which I've never tried. And went with an additional six pack purchase of Deschutes Hop Trip.. What an aromatically pleasant yet not too hoppy pale ale. I highly recommend hop trip as a session beer for the holidays. Couldn't pass up some somewhat new La Cumbre IPA for $7.50/4 pack...

Many reviews to follow from here on out for the next 3 weeks

Last edited:
Wally - it's 8:55 pst and I'm already in my pajamas but Total Wine is a 5 minute drive from my house and they close at 10. Your post has inspired me to get up and go shopping.

-J-

Drinking a Troegs Mad Elf right now. Will take a pic on the second beer, but just picked up. Didn't realize when I was getting it how strong a beer it is, I was just like "Why is this $16 for a six pack?" when I was at the register. When I got home and looked it's 11% abv. :lol: It's actually pretty good. Really strong cherry notes that seem a little overpowering on the first couple of sips but after that it tastes great. Wally, we still gotta work out that beer trade, soon, I didn't forget, just got caught up in my odd work schedule.

I have no idea what most of you guys talk about in here means. IPA's, Stouts, etc. I'm lost as hell. I just got into a few beers a few years ago and stick to what's recommended. Blue Moons, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat are the basics that I know and like.

Back
Top Bottom