NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

AB InBev is on an absolute roll right now. A great, big mediocre roll.
Other than Goose Island (strictly for Bourbon County because regular Goose Island stuff is blah) and some Elysian stuff, the breweries they have bought are nothing to write home about.
Edit: Sorry. Not "bought". Partnered with.

Last edited:
@StillIn729...totally agree. And @JBug88, also agreed. The weird one is their purchase of London's Camden Town Brewery a couple days ago...no rhyme or reason.

However, the sad/funny/annoying thing comes from an article in the Denver Post in February...

Todd Usry, the brewmaster and general manager of Denver-based Breckenridge Brewery, which fits the production volume and brewpub profile for acquisition, said the company has not been approached to sell out and has no intentions to do so.

“The big thing to me is, the craft beer industry was built on individuals and their stories,” Usry said.

When craft breweries sell out, “I think there is some serious authenticity that is lost, and that the brand loses,” he said. “We’re not corporate. We are entrepreneurial and individual.”

Secret Santa in a beer group brought these up from Florida. Jai Alai is one of the few "regular" IPAs that I love (Sculpin & Two Hearted), and the BCBS means I get to drink one this year without screwing up my vertical. Excited for the Funky Buddha & Cigar Ciry :-D

What do you mean my "regular" ipas?

Finally had a Pliny the Elder last week. It was on tap at a local bar.

ROCKING!

Just found out that Pliny the Younger will be in Philly in February. CANNOT WAIT!

Popped open a Peppermint Victory at Sea about an hour ago.

Took three sips and down the drain it went.  Absolute garbage.  Upsetting considering that I think Victory at Sea is a fantastic beer.

Took three sips and down the drain it went.  Absolute garbage.  Upsetting considering that I think Victory at Sea is a fantastic beer.

Really?? Man i've got a bomber in the fridge of it and I was really looking forward to it.

Drinking yuengling black and tan. Tastes like a cross between an amber ale and Guinness. Not bad but I wanted something a little stronger from the porter side.

Last edited:

Really?? Man i've got a bomber in the fridge of it and I was really looking forward to it.
It's funny...when I saw it was only in bombers I thought to myself "damn, I wish this was in 6-packs."

When I tasted it I thought to myself "damn, I'm glad this came in bombers."

Imagine someone squeezed toothpaste into your glass of Victory at Sea.  Horrible beer.

^When I first saw it, I thought it might taste like those little Andes chocolates, but now I guess I'll stay away from it.

Almost bought a bomber of this yesterday and the guy working talked me out of it, glad he did.

Just had a regular Victory at Sea for the first time tonight instead and it was :pimp:

Shoutout this thread for all the recommendations, I've been trying some really delicious stuff lately from BCBS, VAS, and FBS to Grapefruit Sculpin :pimp:

Speaking of victory at sea, I was at victory at sea day this Sunday. I did a handful of breweries prior and sorta remember the variants. The banana foster and peanut butter were delicious. The maple bourbon was pretty awesome too. I had a few more pours after but don't remember what they tasted like at all. One of them was the Oreo which is a shame.

For people that missed out on Bourbon County last month, it seems as if the second shipments have hit. At least in L.A. they have.

My annual Christmas shopping tradition, get to the mall at 8am, hit Rock Bottom at 11am then go spend a **** ton of money

Spider Gang Imperial Stout...solid

Do you guys purposely pair a particular style of beer with food?

I usually just order whatever beer I feel like at the time to start the meal, then look at the food menu and decide what I want regardless of what beer I ordered

I don't totally buy into the whole beer and food pairing industry. I hear IPAs go well with spicy foods. Sweeter, more chocolate laden type stouts do well with desserts.. Beyond that, I just dont really see the connection. I actually either DRINK or EAT separately. So the pairings never worked for me.. Although it seems like food trucks and brewery/restrreaunts have a good thing going when they do $65/person 5 course beer dinners. Constantly sold out.
----------------
swaynomics930, never done a beer club monthly type things. Is that what you're talking about? Like a fruit a month or apple a month type clubs? I think you're paying a premium for them picking something out for you. So unless you're busy or new to the craft beer side of things, I think you can find better locally.

-----
Someone asked about banana beer. I think Well's from UK has one that is imported. It's pretty much everywhere. Kind of sweet. Not to my liking.. You should really hit up hefeweizens. They have a banana and bubble gum type flavor that comes through from the yeast/malt combo.
-----------------
Doesn't Breckenridge do a Vanilla snowdrift porter? That may be the only one I have drank more than 2 of in the last 3 years. I havent touched the horseshoe Lucky IPA or any other regulars.. Boulder Brewing has a better lineup IMHO.

----------
Comparison Ford, sucks about Peppermint VaS. I found their regular VaS surprisingly flavorful but clean and not too sweet.

---
Ever since I gave up Ballast Point, my wallet has been feeling a bit heavier. Or should I say my fridge shelf. There are some great bang for your buck beers out there

I don't totally buy into the whole beer and food pairing industry. I hear IPAs go well with spicy foods. Sweeter, more chocolate laden type stouts do well with desserts.. Beyond that, I just dont really see the connection. I actually either DRINK or EAT separately. So the pairings never worked for me.. Although it seems like food trucks and brewery/restrreaunts have a good thing going when they do $65/person 5 course beer dinners. Constantly sold out.
-----------------
Doesn't Breckenridge do a Vanilla snowdrift porter? That may be the only one I have drank more than 2 of in the last 3 years. I havent touched the horseshoe Lucky IPA or any other regulars.. Boulder Brewing has a better lineup IMHO.

I've been to a couple beer dinners. They're fun and it's interesting to see how hop profiles, malt bills, etc. play off different foods and stuff.

But when I go out to eat and I have a beer...I don't think about how it pairs at all.

Breckenridge does a Vanilla Porter. It's just OK. Their beers are just middle of the road...it's just a bummer to see such a long-time heavyweight go down to InBev, no matter how bad their beers generally are.

And IMO, Boulder's beers are about as pedestrian. Just boring to me...and I work not far from their brewery/taproom and have only been in once.

Back
Top Bottom