NTers 25+: Do you guys still have trouble splitting the bill with your friends?

My crew fights over who gets to pay the bill. Everybody throwing stacks at the waitress & whichever one she takes is the person who paid.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by fresh2deff

Ill just throw a 20 in the pot and bounce

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This is what I mean. Getting an $18 plate and a Sprite and throwing in a 20
30t6p3b.gif
And what's wrong with that? Pay for what you ate, drink and leave some for a tip. Why should you have to cover other people especially those who go ham on the menu?

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
And what's wrong with that? Pay for what you ate, drink and leave some for a tip. Why should you have to cover other people especially those who go ham on the menu?

Depends.  I'm not gonna pay extra for people who decided to pig out.

Last weekend I went out with a group of friends and their associates and my meal/drinks were 34.00 total.  I put $40.00 in the pot and watched in amazement how the people who pigged out were the main ones bickering about who's being cheap etc. 

Depends.  I'm not gonna pay extra for people who decided to pig out.

Last weekend I went out with a group of friends and their associates and my meal/drinks were 34.00 total.  I put $40.00 in the pot and watched in amazement how the people who pigged out were the main ones bickering about who's being cheap etc. 

Originally Posted by MZBLUE2U

Me and my friends usually take turns paying for each other every time we go somewhere...even if it's just somewhere for drinks one of us always takes the bill...except even my one friend who never has any money goes...then we usually split the bill including hers...feels good to know we can do that for each other tho...

Yeah I do this with like 3 of my homeboys. We'll go get wings. He'll cover me. Hit the bar that night I get his cover and first round and don't think twice about it. But I'm more so speaking on any group of 6+ at a spot especially the 15+ birthday dinners

Yeah that happened to me once me and my dude went to this mexican spot with his friends and "they people" (about 12) everybody was having a great time til the check came...gratuity was included and was about $30....all hell broke loose...nobody wanted to pay...it was pandemonium...the manager was taking bout calling the police...luckily I had some cash on me ...I got the waiter paid for me and my dude and tipped her and we left they %#@ there...mind you these were all people 25 +...never again...

Originally Posted by MZBLUE2U

Me and my friends usually take turns paying for each other every time we go somewhere...even if it's just somewhere for drinks one of us always takes the bill...except even my one friend who never has any money goes...then we usually split the bill including hers...feels good to know we can do that for each other tho...

Yeah I do this with like 3 of my homeboys. We'll go get wings. He'll cover me. Hit the bar that night I get his cover and first round and don't think twice about it. But I'm more so speaking on any group of 6+ at a spot especially the 15+ birthday dinners

Yeah that happened to me once me and my dude went to this mexican spot with his friends and "they people" (about 12) everybody was having a great time til the check came...gratuity was included and was about $30....all hell broke loose...nobody wanted to pay...it was pandemonium...the manager was taking bout calling the police...luckily I had some cash on me ...I got the waiter paid for me and my dude and tipped her and we left they %#@ there...mind you these were all people 25 +...never again...

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

You guys know you can just ask a head of time to split the checks so you just pay what you want to pay. Its basically part of your tip.

You do know that many restaurants don't split checks?

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

You guys know you can just ask a head of time to split the checks so you just pay what you want to pay. Its basically part of your tip.

You do know that many restaurants don't split checks?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?
short answer: NO

In my experience, cheap/dumb people will continue to be cheap/dumb people.

For the most part, when I go out with my friends nowadays, we just go even split pot and that seems to work out ok.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I've been out to dinner where I wasn't really feelin anything on the menu so I just ordered a sandwich, a couple of beers, and ended up dropping $50.  No big deal.  It all comes around.  The only exception to this rule is if people show up late and dont eat, or if they dont drink any booze at all since booze can easily add up to more than 50% of the entire bill.
LOL But why do those people have to be either cheap or dumb. I will ALWAYS lose in that situation because
A. I don't/won't eat a lot or pig out
B. I don't drink

So I should just be "mature" about it and have no issues with spending DOUBLE of what I ordered? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

well if i had a friend who didnt drink like you, i wouldnt expect them to pay as much as everyone else since booze can be such a large part of the bill.  most of my friends are like me though (borderline alcoholics) so its not really an issue.  we have one friend (coincidentally he is the cheap/dumb one) so we just calculate his cost off the top and then split the remaining balance.

I guess the split bill works with me and my friends for a couple of different reasons.

1.  everyone kinda sorta eats and drinks the same (if anything i eat and drink the most cause im fat and love booze)
2.  im fairly outspoken and will call my friends out if they even considered pulling a cheap move or shorting the pot.
3.  ive built of a fair amount of good grace when it comes to the "paying for stuff" dept.  my friends know that i cant stand people (especially friends) tryin to juke each other by shorting the pot or being cheap.  furthermore, i more than most of my friends go above and beyond paying my share when it comes to food/booze/entertainment in group settings.  I spend a small fortune every year having everyone over at my place for UFC PPV's, NFL/NBA Playoffs, World Cup, etc... etc...  Everytime I do, the wife and I go all out and will put out a full spread of food plus open up my liquor cabinet.  Hell, for my 30th bday last year which happened to coincide with UFC 100, I spent over $500 just for the food alone.  We probably killed another $500 worth of liquor out of my cabinet (couple bottles of JW blue, a JW gold, a JW green, some Jameson, and some Hendricks).

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?
short answer: NO

In my experience, cheap/dumb people will continue to be cheap/dumb people.

For the most part, when I go out with my friends nowadays, we just go even split pot and that seems to work out ok.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I've been out to dinner where I wasn't really feelin anything on the menu so I just ordered a sandwich, a couple of beers, and ended up dropping $50.  No big deal.  It all comes around.  The only exception to this rule is if people show up late and dont eat, or if they dont drink any booze at all since booze can easily add up to more than 50% of the entire bill.
LOL But why do those people have to be either cheap or dumb. I will ALWAYS lose in that situation because
A. I don't/won't eat a lot or pig out
B. I don't drink

So I should just be "mature" about it and have no issues with spending DOUBLE of what I ordered? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

well if i had a friend who didnt drink like you, i wouldnt expect them to pay as much as everyone else since booze can be such a large part of the bill.  most of my friends are like me though (borderline alcoholics) so its not really an issue.  we have one friend (coincidentally he is the cheap/dumb one) so we just calculate his cost off the top and then split the remaining balance.

I guess the split bill works with me and my friends for a couple of different reasons.

1.  everyone kinda sorta eats and drinks the same (if anything i eat and drink the most cause im fat and love booze)
2.  im fairly outspoken and will call my friends out if they even considered pulling a cheap move or shorting the pot.
3.  ive built of a fair amount of good grace when it comes to the "paying for stuff" dept.  my friends know that i cant stand people (especially friends) tryin to juke each other by shorting the pot or being cheap.  furthermore, i more than most of my friends go above and beyond paying my share when it comes to food/booze/entertainment in group settings.  I spend a small fortune every year having everyone over at my place for UFC PPV's, NFL/NBA Playoffs, World Cup, etc... etc...  Everytime I do, the wife and I go all out and will put out a full spread of food plus open up my liquor cabinet.  Hell, for my 30th bday last year which happened to coincide with UFC 100, I spent over $500 just for the food alone.  We probably killed another $500 worth of liquor out of my cabinet (couple bottles of JW blue, a JW gold, a JW green, some Jameson, and some Hendricks).

Originally Posted by Furrell

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
because if you ordered an 18$ plate and a soda...a 20 doesnt cover that. That means your leavin everyone else to pay for YOUR tip/tax. 

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
because if you ordered an 18$ plate and a soda...a 20 doesnt cover that. That means your leavin everyone else to pay for YOUR tip/tax. 

I HATE going out to eat in large groups. There's always that person or two who order and wanna pay their exact 19.99 meal, not considering tax+gratuity. I don't eat much either, and some people OD on appetizers and expect others to pay for it even if they didn't eat any

Originally Posted by CarolinaPack04

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
You clearly missed what I wrote. After that. Leave enough for the tip, etc. Don't just drop a 20 but I'm not covering other people. It has nothing to do with being cheap as some NTers who don't like to read would say.

I HATE going out to eat in large groups. There's always that person or two who order and wanna pay their exact 19.99 meal, not considering tax+gratuity. I don't eat much either, and some people OD on appetizers and expect others to pay for it even if they didn't eat any

Originally Posted by CarolinaPack04

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
You clearly missed what I wrote. After that. Leave enough for the tip, etc. Don't just drop a 20 but I'm not covering other people. It has nothing to do with being cheap as some NTers who don't like to read would say.

Oh. One of those
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
$18 plate plus $4 drink + tip and tx >>> $20

Back
Top Bottom