NTers 25+: Do you guys still have trouble splitting the bill with your friends?

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

maybe it's a regional thing, then... or maybe i just don't go to the same restaurants as you guys.

here, the servers almost always ask "how are we going to handle the checks" or "is this one check or separate"?
yea, they usually just split them here.

if they don't my friends aren't cheap so either way it's cool.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

maybe it's a regional thing, then... or maybe i just don't go to the same restaurants as you guys.

here, the servers almost always ask "how are we going to handle the checks" or "is this one check or separate"?
yea, they usually just split them here.

if they don't my friends aren't cheap so either way it's cool.

Originally Posted by Furrell

Originally Posted by CarolinaPack04

And what's wrong with that? Pay for what you ate, drink and leave some for a tip. Why should you have to cover other people especially those who go ham on the menu?
because if you ordered an 18$ plate and a soda...a 20 doesnt cover that. That means your leavin everyone else to pay for YOUR tip/tax. 
You clearly missed what I wrote. After that. Leave enough for the tip, etc. Don't just drop a 20 but I'm not covering other people. It has nothing to do with being cheap as some NTers who don't like to read would say.
i do this too...if its a 12$ meal and a coke i throw in 20...heck even if we go get wings and they order all this food ill throw in 20 and only eat like 8 wings 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Usually one person or the couple picks up the check....of course it's then reciprocated the next time everyone goes out.  I got good friends and no one minds doing this. 

When we were younger it was a #%%@#+* headache
laugh.gif

Truth right here....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Usually one person or the couple picks up the check....of course it's then reciprocated the next time everyone goes out.  I got good friends and no one minds doing this. 

When we were younger it was a #%%@#+* headache
laugh.gif

Truth right here....

Originally Posted by CarolinaPack04

And what's wrong with that? Pay for what you ate, drink and leave some for a tip. Why should you have to cover other people especially those who go ham on the menu?
because if you ordered an 18$ plate and a soda...a 20 doesnt cover that. That means your leavin everyone else to pay for YOUR tip/tax. 
You clearly missed what I wrote. After that. Leave enough for the tip, etc. Don't just drop a 20 but I'm not covering other people. It has nothing to do with being cheap as some NTers who don't like to read would say.
i do this too...if its a 12$ meal and a coke i throw in 20...heck even if we go get wings and they order all this food ill throw in 20 and only eat like 8 wings 

i think we can all relate to this thread lol.

I was once invited by a close friend to join him and his lady friend. At first i was like no thanks, i would prefer to be doing my own thing than be a third wheel.. but than he hit me with she's with her cousin. In that case
happy.gif
. Especially being that i was already in Manhattan, i figured why not.. Little did i know, the reason they went out to eat was to celebrate the " cousins " birthday .. it immediately turned into a blind date as soon as we stepped foot in the spot. I felt out of place and uncomfortable, i didn't even know this chick and i'm basically taking her out to celebrate her birthday.. such an awkward moment. We ate, had drinks.. shared a few laughs. But at the end of the day, it wasn't worth it.. i didn't smash, had a so/so time, after splitting the bill with my boy, which came to about 260 not including gratuity.. i still ended up spending more than he did.. close to $180.. Lesson learned, never again :ohwell:

I was once invited by a close friend to join him and his lady friend. At first i was like no thanks, i would prefer to be doing my own thing than be a third wheel.. but than he hit me with she's with her cousin. In that case
happy.gif
. Especially being that i was already in Manhattan, i figured why not.. Little did i know, the reason they went out to eat was to celebrate the " cousins " birthday .. it immediately turned into a blind date as soon as we stepped foot in the spot. I felt out of place and uncomfortable, i didn't even know this chick and i'm basically taking her out to celebrate her birthday.. such an awkward moment. We ate, had drinks.. shared a few laughs. But at the end of the day, it wasn't worth it.. i didn't smash, had a so/so time, after splitting the bill with my boy, which came to about 260 not including gratuity.. i still ended up spending more than he did.. close to $180.. Lesson learned, never again :ohwell:

we usually just split it all up equally unless one or two people clearly like go nuts. or sometimes one person will just get it, and next time the other.

we usually just split it all up equally unless one or two people clearly like go nuts. or sometimes one person will just get it, and next time the other.

Originally Posted by Koudie From BroOklyn

happy.gif
L

happy.gif
L

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?
short answer: NO

In my experience, cheap/dumb people will continue to be cheap/dumb people.

For the most part, when I go out with my friends nowadays, we just go even split pot and that seems to work out ok.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I've been out to dinner where I wasn't really feelin anything on the menu so I just ordered a sandwich, a couple of beers, and ended up dropping $50.  No big deal.  It all comes around.  The only exception to this rule is if people show up late and dont eat, or if they dont drink any booze at all since booze can easily add up to more than 50% of the entire bill.

Yes, I noticed that too.  I have a pretty good circle of friends (about 10-15 people) that I go out with and we are all pretty good with adding a little extra $$$ to cover gratuity and tax, buying each other rounds of beers etc...  
But there are a couple of times where we would go out with a much bigger crowd (birthdays) and all of a sudden we would come up short.  I think some people just do not want to add for tax and gratuity.  

30t6p3b.gif
at some people who doesn't understand this concept = if you're entree is $20 you dont just hand $20 and call it a day.  its $20+tax+gratuity+what ever extra ^#%$ you ate.  Then stands up and dueces out.  
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Does there come an age when everyone knows what to do when eating out and calculates correctly?
short answer: NO

In my experience, cheap/dumb people will continue to be cheap/dumb people.

For the most part, when I go out with my friends nowadays, we just go even split pot and that seems to work out ok.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  I've been out to dinner where I wasn't really feelin anything on the menu so I just ordered a sandwich, a couple of beers, and ended up dropping $50.  No big deal.  It all comes around.  The only exception to this rule is if people show up late and dont eat, or if they dont drink any booze at all since booze can easily add up to more than 50% of the entire bill.

Yes, I noticed that too.  I have a pretty good circle of friends (about 10-15 people) that I go out with and we are all pretty good with adding a little extra $$$ to cover gratuity and tax, buying each other rounds of beers etc...  
But there are a couple of times where we would go out with a much bigger crowd (birthdays) and all of a sudden we would come up short.  I think some people just do not want to add for tax and gratuity.  

30t6p3b.gif
at some people who doesn't understand this concept = if you're entree is $20 you dont just hand $20 and call it a day.  its $20+tax+gratuity+what ever extra ^#%$ you ate.  Then stands up and dueces out.  
mad.gif

happy.gif
L
Lx2

happy.gif
L
Lx2

man no!!

i decided the other day i need to stop messing with these cheap %%% cats when the bill is under $50 im not trying to split #!!@ im 25 get me next time we grown %%% men. Problem is that im the only one that can every cover the group smh dudes act like last meal or drink or whatever never happened. Im talking about a close group 3-4 people you always go out with, if its company i dont know i would be sure to get my own check or just round up my meal + tip the the nearest $10. But to be honest if your like me you avoid the big group situations like someone said above it will never change someone will always short the bill or not pay the tip.

yes im angry
mad.gif

man no!!

i decided the other day i need to stop messing with these cheap %%% cats when the bill is under $50 im not trying to split #!!@ im 25 get me next time we grown %%% men. Problem is that im the only one that can every cover the group smh dudes act like last meal or drink or whatever never happened. Im talking about a close group 3-4 people you always go out with, if its company i dont know i would be sure to get my own check or just round up my meal + tip the the nearest $10. But to be honest if your like me you avoid the big group situations like someone said above it will never change someone will always short the bill or not pay the tip.

yes im angry
mad.gif

We usually just get separate bills and if not we know who's buying the first round.  Going out has gotten expensive since I got back from college and I still don't have a "real" job.

Back
Top Bottom