NTers who lease their whips? Vol: new whip every 3 years

Actually not having a car payment and investing can go along way to obtaining wealth:

From dave ramsey:

Here’s a new plan. What if you bought a cheap $2,000 car just to get around for 10 months? Then you take that $475—the average car payment—save it every month, and pay for a new car (with cash!), instead of giving it to the bank.

After 10 months of doing that, you’ll have $4,750 to use for that new ride. Add that to the $1,500–2,000 you can get for your old beater, and you have well over $6,000. That’s a major upgrade in car in just 10 months—without owing the bank a dime!

But the fun doesn’t end there. If you keep consistently putting the same amount of money away, 10 months later you would have another $4,750 to put toward a car. You could probably sell that $6,000 vehicle for about the same price you paid 10 months before—meaning you now have $11,000 to pay for a car, just 20 months after this whole process started.

The bottom line with this exercise is simply this—what could you do with that $475 if you weren’t paying for the car every month? Anything you wanted!

Think about it this way: If you were to invest that $475 (remember, this is the average car payment in the U.S.) into a good mutual fund with a 12% rate of return, you would have over $100,000 in 10 years! At 20 years, you would have made $470,000. And at 30 years? That mutual fund would be worth $1.6 million!

The numbers will make your head spin, but it really just comes down to simple math. The less money you are spending on your car every month, the more money you have to put into other more important things: your kids’ college fund, your retirement, and paying off any other debt you might have.

If you’ll just follow this simple plan, your life could be dramatically different 10 years from now. You can live without a car payment!

Last edited:
Actually not having a car payment and investing can go along way to obtaining wealth:

From dave ramsey:

Think about it this way: If you were to invest that $475 (remember, this is the average car payment in the U.S.) into a good mutual fund with a 12% rate of return, you would have over $100,000 in 10 years! At 20 years, you would have made $470,000. And at 30 years? That mutual fund would be worth $1.6 million!

The numbers will make your head spin, but it really just comes down to simple math. The less money you are spending on your car every month, the more money you have to put into other more important things: your kids’ college fund, your retirement, and paying off any other debt you might have.

If you’ll just follow this simple plan, your life could be dramatically different 10 years from now. You can live without a car payment!

The power of compounding is huge in your younger years. If you can get to like $100K early on in your life and earn at least 5% on that 100k, that is $5K a year in just dividends. Many high paying dividend stocks are paying like 4-5%.

and imagine if you can make a car payment of $475 as well as invest $475 then what? Lol not everyone wants to be millionaires and billionaires out there, money isn't everything to some people.

The power of compounding is huge in your younger years. If you can get to like $100K early on in your life and earn at least 5% on that 100k, that is $5K a year in just dividends. Many high paying dividend stocks are paying like 4-5%.

That the thing. You want compounding interest what einstein called the 8th wonder of the world to work for you not against you.

and imagine if you can make a car payment of $475 as well as invest $475 then what? Lol not everyone wants to be millionaires and billionaires out there, money isn't everything to some people.

Well considering most people in this country are broke living paycheck to paycheck I think they could use extra money that doesnt go to the bank as a car payment.

EDIT: and this is the crappy post I use as my 5000th :smh:

Last edited:

Well considering most people in this country are broke living paycheck to paycheck I think they could use extra money that doesnt go to the bank as a car payment.

No one ever said a person living paycheck to paycheck should be leasing or financing a car. If you live paycheck to paycheck, you're about that buy a hooptie + liability life.

You're a pharmacist right? Do you just have 1 car and did you purchase in full?

Naw bruh we want to lease whips we can't afford to buy to impress the shorties ...

Yambs>>>>>>

**** it if we have to go back home to sleep on dirty mattress and sit on milk crates .. At least we have a new whip and no worries in regards to repair cost. LoL

Seriously .. This all depends on the individuals situation ... Lets not sell the idea of buy or leasing is better than the other because it has many variables.

Last edited:
No one ever said a person living paycheck to paycheck should be leasing or financing a car. If you live paycheck to paycheck, you're about that buy a hooptie + liability life.

You're a pharmacist right? Do you just have 1 car and did you purchase in full?

No Im a Radiologist.

I have a Mercedes that I bought certified preowned put over 50% down when I bought it in late 2012 and its paid off now. My last car was a 2003 that I drove for many years without a payment. Had the transmission blow but didnt have a payment so I could pay for the 7k repair. Then drove it for another 3 years. Would still be driving it but someone hit me. My wife has a car that was bought used and is fully paid off. Its a 2004 occasionally needs a small repair I think in the last 5 years only one major repair was needed.

Actually in the market for a new car now. Well new as in a year or two old most likely. Lookin at a Range well that what the wife wants anyway

Last edited:
Naw bruh we want to lease whips we can't afford to buy to impress the shorties ...

Yambs>>>>>>

**** it if we have to go back home to sleep on dirty mattress and sit on milk crates .. At least we have a new whip and no worries in regards to repair cost. LoL

Seriously .. This all depends on the individuals situation ... Lets not sell the idea of buy or leasing is better than the other because it has many variables.

Says it has many variables ... then proceeds to say ppl lease whips they can't afford for yambs. :lol: :lol:

No Im a Radiologist.

I have a Mercedes that I bought certified preowned put over 50% down when I bought it in late 2012 and its paid off now. My last car was a 2003 that I drove for many years as without a payment. Had the transmission blow but didnt have a payment so I could pay for the 7k repair. Then drove it for another 3 years. Would still be driving it but someone hit me. My wife has a car that was bought used and is fully paid off.

Dope, another person in the med field. Appreciate getting a perspective from someone who can clearly afford to live a certain lifestyle but chooses not to for whatever reason they see fit.

It's cute when one of you anti leasing dudes agree that nobody should be claiming one is better than the other.

But in the same post you're making comments like "drive something you can't afford", "keeping up with the jones".

If you going to agree to disagree why y'all still taking shots?

Last edited:
Says it has many variables ... then proceeds to say ppl lease whips they can't afford for yambs. :lol: :lol:
Dope, another person in the med field. Appreciate getting a perspective from someone who can clearly afford to live a certain lifestyle but chooses not to for whatever reason they see fit.
Trolling must be ur specialty .. Come on dude ... Be realistic ... Dudes in here want to be like dipset trying to buy 30k with a 13 annual income. I was poking fun at those that rather have nice thing rather than wealth ... You my friend wanted to be funny and totally ignore when I said seriously ... Smh ...

4.8 x 3 = 14.4...you buy a car for 5, throw in an extra .4 for tags, you still sitting on 9k to invest/blow/etc...and if you were smart, you can get a reliable car for 5 racks.

Saying that you are going to have to do a major repair job on a car thats five years old means you don't know how to buy cars (which is the situation I was in, but never again). Dealerships give a 10 year 100k mile warranty, they wouldn't do that if they knew you were going to need major repairs after five years, it wouldn't make any sense for them to sell you a car for 20k, knowing in five years they are going to have to pay 2k+ for your new engine. If have any type of car experience, you really shouldn't be buying a car you have to shell 1k a year for repairs.

Long story short, there is no successful economic argument you can make for leasing a car, if you like new and shiny, you like new and shiny call it what it is.

Everything in life has "to many variables." Whether I choose to eat fast food over going to the grocery store has a lot of  variables, but most would agree, as a general rule, that it's better to go to the grocery store and cook at home than it would to eat fast food three nights a week. But, just like fast food over grocery store, sometimes a brother want a cheap burger, I'm not going to try to justify it, I'm going to say "Yeah it's a bad idea, but I don't care, I want a Mcdouble."

Trolling must be ur specialty .. Come on dude ... Be realistic ... Dudes in here want to be like dipset trying to buy 30k with a 13 annual income. I was poking fun at those that rather have nice thing rather than wealth ... You my friend wanted to be funny and totally ignore when I said seriously ... Smh ...

I agree with you and if the subject was "What do you think about leasing a 30K car with 13K income" my responses would be different. I was under the assumption the OP wanted opinions from dudes who lease their car and can afford to do this. How am I'm trolling when I'm trying to stay on topic and you're bringing up hypothetical scenarios? :smh:

I think I need to move over to the are your opinions unpopular thread that I keep seeing on the first page.

Leasing for capital is different than leasing for personal use. There is no arguing that if a dude has all the facts and he wants to lease, he should lease, he should do with is money whatever he feels, I think it's dumb, not my money, not my problem.

Dudes grandfather been leasing for twenty years? Some questions need to be asked about how he conducts his business, is he rich or is he wealthy? If he walked away from his job right now, today, would he be able to keep up his lifestyle for the next ten years? I imagine at year 8-9, after leasing his car for all those years, spending without having income come in, pockets would get pretty tight...then what? He has to start over after ten, no car, so he already starts at a disadvantage.

Wealth isn't about having a bunch of money, thats the misconception, plenty of folks have money. Wealth is about security, knowing, even with nothing coming in, you can still live a comfortable lifestyle.  I'd rather pull in 50k a year, living off 30k, holding 600k in assets, than pull in 100k, live off 60k, and hold 300k in assets, in the second situation, money catch up quick (I personally plan on bringing in more and having a higher net worth and live off around 30k myself, but thats just me). 

Look at you making assumptions and being a dumbass.

My grandfather retired 20 years ago, he owns his home, and land, and has a number of other investments. He also helped finance my cousins start-up thats pretty successful. So there's no "job" to quit. Now sit your clown *** down making assumptions trying to prove your point.

Last edited:
You notice the question marks? (There's one right there, usually indicates a question, but those not in the intelligencia may not recognize such strange symbols as such markers.) retired from what? How did he build his fortune (These are question I would like to know as possible financial avanues, I entertain all suggestions) ? Lets say he retired at 64, meaning he began building his wealth over 50 years ago(@30) , leasing wasn't really an option by then, so he didn't build his wealth while leasing, my original point. I can only assume he was a bit more frugal in his youth, not spending his money on the suprefolous such as leasing a car. Now, you can make up whatever story you want at this point; but, one would suspect, that your grandfather didn't build wealth while leasing (the topic of my original discourse) and your grandfather having wealth, then began leasing, which are two different state of affairs, as the former is concerned with accumulation and the latter with consumption.

Of course, your grandfather could have been among the first on the leasing trend in the twilight of his career, in which case he would be the exception as opposed to the rule.

Haha a little exposition for the pretentious lol. I pray I never suffer from scribes fever lol.

As a finance person... I don't think paying $25k for a vehicle straight cash homey makes sense, especially if you have good credit and can get a stupid low interest rate...

I contend that you can take that $25k... And use the stock market to your advantage...

Hell, you can drop it in a mutual fund and pull it out every year, set it in an account and auto withdraw...

I completely disagree with buying a car cash, especially one over 20k if you can get a nice interest rate

It's one thing to have the "opportunity cost" of the cash on hand, but it's another thing to speculate success in an investment as volatile as the stock market. Not to mention, the time it takes you see any sort of substantial capital gain in equities would essentially null this strategy all together. Not unless you know something other people don't and make a killing in the options market :lol:

Buying a car cash has it's advantages and disadvantages. The advantage would be to avoid the interest rate and pay a flat price for the car. It's NEVER good when you're paying interest, because that's just compounded cash that you didn't need to spend day 1.

Obviously the advantage of going into a financed interest payment would be to keep the "opportunity cost" of money on hand and using it to grow, but that's highly speculative. Also, you have to consider that the you may not be done with the payments of the car until an extended period of time and during that time, your car is deprecating in value.

At the end of the day, it would be in your best interest to pay as little for the car as possible without having to facing 'extra payments'. Some would believe you ca achieve this by buying outright.

This is one of most accurate statements I have seen post in here, well done sir

As a finance guy myself, he his absolute correct

It is called the Time Value of Money (TVM)-- in lay terms, "a dollar today is worth more that a dollar tomorrow" and also Opportunity Cost-- what alternate investment your giving up buy using the capital in another manner

So as Fontaine said, if you could take $25K and invest it at a rate higher than your interest plus inflation then it would not be beneficial for you to buy it out right cash because your leaving money on table and so alternatively if you can not properly invest that cash in that manner then it could be beneficial for you to buy it out right cash if you feel more comfortable doing that.

Since most persons fall into this second category, most are not thinking about investing that cash and realizing the gains.

You got the lingo and idea right, but again--it's all speculative thinking. At the end of the day you're taking on a risk and not entering in arbitrage.

Last edited:
:lol: :lol: y'all dudes talking bout interest rates like you're paying 10% or something. I hope none of y'all paying over 3% in this economy. I got 1.99 so no way I'm dropping a rack of cash on a car. And why do ppl mention stocks like you're guaranteed a return.

:lol: :lol: y'all dudes talking bout interest rates like you're paying 10% or something. I hope none of y'all paying over 3% in this economy. I got 1.99 so no way I'm dropping a rack of cash on a car. And why do ppl mention stocks like you're guaranteed a return.

Funny they dont have to disclose interest rates in Leases so most people dont know what their rate is

QFT

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, what kind of car are you driving? Most luxury car i've looked into won't go below 3%. Usually Honda, Toyota and Nissan give out those .9% interest rates.

Last edited:
QFT

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, what kind of car are you driving? Most luxury car i've looked into won't go below 3%. Usually Honda, Toyota and Nissan give out those .9% interest rates.

actually I have a Mercedes and my interest rate was 1.75

QFT

BMW 1.9%

I think we need to ask this question...

Seriously...

What's wrong with trying to stunt?

If your bills are paid... And you're not starving for anything...

What's wrong with stuntin'?

Back
Top Bottom