NTs reading comprehension FTL

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Slavery and attempted genocide are different... no matter what you want to believe.
They are definitely two very different events.

Unfortunately, people feel the need to compare the two, as if one "deserves" more attention than the other.

That's what I never understood about all of this. Why the comparisons? Who cares who suffered more? That doesn't make one more important than the other. They are both black eyes on the face of humanity and events that we really need to learn from rather than used divisively.

No one looks out for the greater good. They just want to get ahead and pull each other back. At the end of the day, you aren't getting a prize in the mail because one is deemed more tragic than the other.

indifferent.gif
......Righhhhhht

The hypocrisy in highlighting "Other" countries mistakes while ignoring our own while growing up is the reason America is in the state it's in.
This isn't about which even gets more attention this is about certain events methodically and deliberately being left out of the curriculum in schools.

Slavery and attempted genocide are different... no matter what you want to believe.
What is that supposed to mean?

You can't disguise your comments. You don't believe the Africans' plight should be as documented as the Holocaust, yet instead of offering acoherent rebuttal (which you can't, because there isn't), you provide a veiled statement because you fear the backlash it might cause.

Regardless of the ideologies behind slavery and genocide, numbers don't lie. The fact that it doesn't receive AT LEAST as much attention as theHolocaust points to two things:

• This is so because those deaths were for the benefit of America apparently.
  • The subordinate position of blacks in the eyes of many.

I remember in high school there was 1 paragraph on the Middle Passage but a whole chapter on the holocaust.
I'm not saying.....but I'm just saying..

ya dig?

and I cosign with kix4kix

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

Always wondered this too.

Holocaust is drilled into our heads from elementary school. Nothing else is that emphasized, not even slavery.
Because it didn't happen in the U.S. Slavery was the biggest f up in U.S. history so it's natural for the ppl that "run" theU.S. to wanna forget that and draw more attn to something that has nothing to do w/ the U.S. Go to Germany and see how many ppl wanna talk about the Holocaust.

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

holocaust is over-exaggerated like whoa
indifferent.gif

I've just about had it with NT today.

Message board raids, belittling the holocaust....I don't know about y'all anymore....

between this and the replies in the oscar grant threads.. im logging out for the day. NT is on one today.

Originally Posted by TheBachellor

What is that supposed to mean?

You can't disguise your comments. You don't believe the Africans' plight should be as documented as the Holocaust, yet instead of offering a coherent rebuttal (which you can't, because there isn't), you provide a veiled statement because you fear the backlash it might cause.

Regardless of the ideologies behind slavery and genocide, numbers don't lie. The fact that it doesn't receive AT LEAST as much attention as the Holocaust points to two things:

• This is so because those deaths were for the benefit of America apparently.
  • The subordinate position of blacks in the eyes of many.

WHAT?

I said that SLAVERY and GENOCIDE are DIFFERENT. There was nothing veiled. I said that in meaning that you cannot compare different things.

Please. Do not put words in my mouth.

Where did I say slavery shouldn't be addressed in a curiculum?

Unfortunately, people feel the need to compare the two, as if one "deserves" more attention than the other.

That's what I never understood about all of this. Why the comparisons? Who cares who suffered more? That doesn't make one more important than the other. They are both black eyes on the face of humanity and events that we really need to learn from rather than used divisively.

No one looks out for the greater good. They just want to get ahead and pull each other back. At the end of the day, you aren't getting a prize in the mail because one is deemed more tragic than the other.
What are you talking about? This is more than just "who suffered more".

This has far-reaching social and racial implications that (unless you're extremely naive), you're willing to forget in order to up your post count andmake yourself seem educated on the issue.

Wrong.

It's not that all.

It's the fact that our educational system, for the most part, treats one event with far greater emphasis than the other. For me and everyone else I havespoken to about this, the holocaust is taught and taught, and drilled into our heads while slavery is covered quickly as a brief"phase" in American history. I've had more Holocaust lessons than WW2 lessons
indifferent.gif

That's why I taught myself about history through my own research. It's far too biased. On this issue, there is no doubt that for whatever reason, theHolocaust and Jewish (the holocaust wasn't even entirely a Jewish thing but it is taught that way) struggle are treated like they are the most importantworld event that has ever taken place. While other tragedies are quickly skipped over or barely (if even ever - like the south American dictatorships funded bythe U.S) ever taught.

I think all in all, who cares?
educate yourselves and don't rely on others to do that for you or your children

Whenever slavery gets mentioned, it's always "that was so long ago", "get over it", "lazy blacks still expecting their 40 acres and a mule", but whenever the Holocaust gets mentioned, nothing even remotely negative is politically correct or incorrect, it's just plain "wrong and insensitive", even though far more people were killed during slavery.

/rant
@$*% it, this is true sometimes.
ohwell.gif

This has far-reaching social and racial implications that (unless you're extremely naive), you're willing to forget in order to up your post count and make yourself seem educated on the issue.

If this is something that you feel so strongly about, why waste your time on NT? You seem like you are at least somewhat educated on the subject. Make somechange. Present this to someone in the educational system in the area you live.

No... probably content with throwing out accusations and attacking people on a message board.

Got it.

This has far-reaching social and racial implications that (unless you're extremely naive), you're willing to forget in order to up your post count and make yourself seem educated on the issue.
I'm not denying the absolute fact that slavery as a whole has been downplayed in American educational systems. It's been blatant to thepoint of inaccuracy.

But what is this really about? If you're really trying to get the truth out there and willing to educate people regarding slavery, then do so. I wouldsupport than in whole.

But to first preface it by saying, "Qait, why should we feel sorry for the people that went through the holocaust when there was slavery?" isn'texactly the way to go about that.

I'm hardly naive about the racial implications.

If this is something that you feel so strongly about, why waste your time on NT? You seem like you are at least somewhat educated on the subject. Make some change. Present this to someone in the educational system in the area you live.

No... probably content with throwing out accusations and attacking people on a message board.

Got it.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

If you think that's going to change anything.

If this is something that you feel so strongly about, why waste your time on NT? You seem like you are at least somewhat educated on the subject. Make some change. Present this to someone in the educational system in the area you live.

Got it.
The "if you don't like it get out" argument is so childish and nonsensical that I can't realistically see anyone using it with astraight-face anymore.

[Backwoods Bob] I "DAMN NEGROES RUNNIN AROUND COMPLAINING ABOUT SLAVERY.... HOW BOUT YOU GO BACK TO AFRICA!?"[/Backwoods Bob]
laugh.gif
smh.gif

History has a tendency of repeating itself.

Why never forget the holocaust? SO IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN.

Leave your inferiority complex at home for this one. Historical tragedies don't need to be measured by what one perceives as getting more or less attentionby your schooling.

Go visit the holocaust museum in DC or a Death Camp in Germany. Let me know if you still think it doesn't merit the sort of attention it gets. I was luckyenough to do both. I've also heard a holocaust survivor speak about her experience in the camps. It is terror.

How are you about to disrespect the deaths of millions (of people who were jews, cripples, mentally disabled, physically disabled, religious figures, etc. . .) by down playing it's significance?

And because I disagree with you, I must be racist. Much better arguement.
I wasn't implying that you're racist. I'm simply pointing out how absurd your argument is. You would never agree with that statement correct? Yet yours follows the same premise.

So.... we are content with criticising something, but refuse to even ATTEMPT to change it?

laugh.gif

What's wrong with having a discussion on a forum ? I doubt a letter from someone is going to change over 50 years of bias in the giant mess that is knownas the U.S educational system.

I'm sure everyone's ancestors are proud that we're all crying and debating who had the bigger misfortune and who deserves the largest pity parade.

On another note, I never realized how much people HATE jewish people. If you guys think that they're doing something so wrong maybe you really should beout their protesting. I hate to say it but if there were to be another Vietnam War we would be screwed because all of you people would be sitting behind yourcomputers too stuck up to actually go outside, join up with people and voice your opinion.

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

Leave your inferiority complex at home for this one. Historical tragedies don't need to be measured by what one perceives as getting more or less attention by your schooling.

Go visit the holocaust museum in DC or a Death Camp in Germany. Let me know if you still think it doesn't merit the sort of attention it gets. I was lucky enough to do both. I've also heard a holocaust survivor speak about her experience in the camps. It is terror.

How are you about to disrespect the deaths of millions (of people who were jews, cripples, mentally disabled, physically disabled, religious figures, etc. . . ) by down playing it's significance?
You're completely missing the point of this post.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Leave your inferiority complex at home for this one. Historical tragedies don't need to be measured by what one perceives as getting more or less attention by your schooling.

Go visit the holocaust museum in DC or a Death Camp in Germany. Let me know if you still think it doesn't merit the sort of attention it gets. I was lucky enough to do both. I've also heard a holocaust survivor speak about her experience in the camps. It is terror.

How are you about to disrespect the deaths of millions (of people who were jews, cripples, mentally disabled, physically disabled, religious figures, etc. . . ) by down playing it's significance?
That;s what I'm asking

Why does the U.S "disrespect" the deaths of millions in other tragedies ?

I used to believe this bull !@$* they used to feed me about why we study the holocaust so much

then as I got older I started to learn about things like Darfur, Riwanda

I guess black people don't count though...

IMO we do study the holocaust too much...but as I said in my other post...one reason is that it comes up when discussing WWII...but I do think there areother reasons as well.

Back
Top Bottom