Offical 2008 NFL draft Thread. 12PT/3ET on ESPN/NFLNetwork

He's also playing in a pass happyy west coast offense. He will be lined up inside vs safeties and will turn short receptions into long gains

DeSean » Teddy G

Originally Posted by meb03

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Dj is slow and not much of a deep threat, he was good in college

DeSean will have 500 yrds receiving and at least 3 kick/punt return tds

Desean is a poor mans Ted Ginn.

You're right about that... sort of... MIA paid top 10 money for Ginn... DeSean was on sale.

pimp.gif
T,C Ostrander getting picked up as a FA by the Saints... now justsomeone pick up Evan Moore.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Nah, I think it's too early to evaluate who's better right now.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Ginn (only several OSU games), but from what I've seen from DeSean, I really think he'll do very well in the NFL. And the Eagles got an absolute steal and most people think so as well. Unless if you're bigmike
laugh.gif

Yea 165 pound receivers are always steals

Top Undrafted Prospects
[table][tr][td]1. Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland
2. Wesley Woodyard, OLB, Kentucky
3. Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech
4. Ali Highsmith, OLB, L.S.U.
5. Gary Guyton, OLB, Georgia Tech
6. Drew Radovich, OG, USC
7. Curtis Johnson, OLB, Clark Atlanta
8. Jamar Adams, S, Michigan
9. Tommy Blake, DE, T.C.U.
10. Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian St.
11. Eric Young, OG, Tennessee
12. David Roach, S, T.C.U.
13. Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
14. William Robinson, OT, San Diego St.
15. Jolonn Dunbar, ILB, Boston College
16. D.J. Hall, WR, Alabama
17. Michael Grant, CB, Arkansas
18. Louis Holmes, DE, Arizona
19. Wallace Gilberry, DE, Alabama
20. Anthony Alridge, RB, Houston
21. Curtis Gatewood, OLB, Vanderbilt
22. Pedro Sosa, OG, Rutgers
23. Darius Reynaud, WR, West Virginia
24. Robert Felton, OG, Arkansas
25. Dorien Bryant, WR, Purdue[/td] [td]26. Franklin Dunbar, OT, Middle Tenn. St.
27. Martail Burnett, DE, Utah
28. J Leman, ILB, Illinois
29. Steve Octavien, OLB, Nebraska
30. Kelly Poppinga, OLB, B.Y.U.
31. Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee
32. Keilen @%%#!, DE, West Virginia
33. Maurice Purify, WR, Nebraska
34. Titus Brown, DE, Mississippi St.
35. Chad Simpson, RB, Morgan St.
36. Ben Moffitt, ILB, South Florida
37. Dennis Keyes, S, UCLA
38. Marcus Griffin, S, Texas
39. Mike Dragosavich, P, North Dakota St.
40. Kyle Wright, QB, Miami (FL)
41. Lamar Myles, OLB, Louisville
42. Calvin Dawson, RB, Louisiana-Monroe
43. Paul Smith, QB, Tulsa
44. Todd Blythe, WR, Iowa St.
45. Marcus Dixon, DE, Hampton
46. Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri
47. Ryan Grice-Mullen, WR, Hawaii
48. Lance Leggett, WR, Miami (FL)
49. Steven Hauschka, K, North Carolina St.
50. Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia[/td] [/tr][/table]
smh.gif
at underclassmen goin undrafted, sickening

i don't get the nfl. they were all on wesley woodyard's nuts a the combine, and he goes undrafted? and wow at all the hawaii receivers not gettingdrafted. I think USC is turning into NFL U, sorry canes fans
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by meb03

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Ginn (only several OSU games), but from what I've seen from DeSean, I really think he'll do very well in the NFL. And the Eagles got an absolute steal and most people think so as well. Unless if you're bigmike
laugh.gif

Yea 165 pound receivers are always steals
for the record he's listed closer to 170. and steve smith is 5'9 185. i don't think that's unrealistic that he can bulk up to thatrange

laugh.gif
every draft expert this weekend was saying the same comments i have said about Desean the WHOLE YEAR it ant hating its the truth. he is no steal hewas picked where he should have been in the 2nd round.

I have always said he can become a good NFL WR but he played WAY to soft at times and in big games he was MIA. he can play slot in the NFL but lets see whathappens the 1st time he goes over the middle and gets the hell knocked out of him will he go over the middle again because in college he showed he wouldnt.

BTW Jackson is a better Pure WR then ginn was in college. but i would take ginn over jackson cause you never saw ginn get steamed rolled at the line likejackson has he also has a bigger frame then jackson.

for the record he's listed closer to 170. and steve smith is 5'9 185. i don't think that's unrealistic that he can bulk up to that range
[marc jackson]YOU BETTER THEN THAT[marc jackson]

jackson is not even CLOSE to been the phycial WR steve smith is or well he ever be

laugh.gif
i didn't mean to compare desean to steve smith at all, and it should be very obvious. i'm just usin him as an example that even tho he's smallhe can be successful. way to put words in my mouth
laugh.gif

but...i do agree he needs to be more physical, but time will tell i guess.

Realtalk....I think D Jax is going to need to work on getting off the LOS in order to succeed. But I do think D Jax will have a chip on his shoulder and heshould be bustin his $$! to get bigger and better

bowman.jpg

6'4 220

60...1181...12 TD
67...1006...8 TD

Ok not the fastest and not the best hands, but..

His workouts, combine and SR game musta been worse than even reported. The marijuana reports didn't help either
eyes.gif

Get my Season Tickets for the Houston Texas dis year! Can't wait to see the impact our rook's will have on the team... I just hope we solved our CBsituation with Dunta hurt and not expected back till mid-season with Jacques Reeves and this Antwuan Molden guy!

smokin.gif
jack aint gone have a problem gettin off the line in the league..Just a matter if he will play the same after taking a few hits..

I think he could ball out in philly, and i dont even %%%% wit Mcnabb bum ***..

tired.gif
at the Titans.. why would they draft rb again that high?

do the broncos think eddie royal is bout to be in the 2 spot?
grin.gif
stokleyaint leaving the slot

it looks like the chiefs had a hell of a draft.. we'll see what happens tho..

Couple san diego state boys gone get some money..
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

all i know is im much more worried about the NFC east after this draft ... if the skins receivers are anything close to what they are supposed to be, and freddavis ... damn ... but they still have jason campbell throwing to them lololol (brennan starting?)... And people keep talking about Desean gettin off the lineand adding bulk lalalala, bottom line is, hes the quickest punt returner ive seen since peter warrick and games can be won and lost on a few punt returns ...Giants wont win the super bowl again so i dont really care about them (yes im still salty) ... cowboys had two BIG needs coming into the draft and filled bothwith quality 1st rd picks ... by far the best conference again next year

Top Undrafted Prospects
[table][tr][td]1. Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland
2. Wesley Woodyard, OLB, Kentucky
3. Darrell Robertson, DE, Georgia Tech
4. Ali Highsmith, OLB, L.S.U.
5. Gary Guyton, OLB, Georgia Tech
6. Drew Radovich, OG, USC
7. Curtis Johnson, OLB, Clark Atlanta
8. Jamar Adams, S, Michigan
9. Tommy Blake, DE, T.C.U.
10. Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian St.
11. Eric Young, OG, Tennessee
12. David Roach, S, T.C.U.
13. Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
14. William Robinson, OT, San Diego St.
15. Jolonn Dunbar, ILB, Boston College
16. D.J. Hall, WR, Alabama
17. Michael Grant, CB, Arkansas
18. Louis Holmes, DE, Arizona
19. Wallace Gilberry, DE, Alabama
20. Anthony Alridge, RB, Houston
21. Curtis Gatewood, OLB, Vanderbilt
22. Pedro Sosa, OG, Rutgers
23. Darius Reynaud, WR, West Virginia
24. Robert Felton, OG, Arkansas
25. Dorien Bryant, WR, Purdue[/td] [td]26. Franklin Dunbar, OT, Middle Tenn. St.
27. Martail Burnett, DE, Utah
28. J Leman, ILB, Illinois
29. Steve Octavien, OLB, Nebraska
30. Kelly Poppinga, OLB, B.Y.U.
31. Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee
32. Keilen @%%#!, DE, West Virginia
33. Maurice Purify, WR, Nebraska
34. Titus Brown, DE, Mississippi St.
35. Chad Simpson, RB, Morgan St.
36. Ben Moffitt, ILB, South Florida
37. Dennis Keyes, S, UCLA
38. Marcus Griffin, S, Texas
39. Mike Dragosavich, P, North Dakota St.
40. Kyle Wright, QB, Miami (FL)
41. Lamar Myles, OLB, Louisville
42. Calvin Dawson, RB, Louisiana-Monroe
43. Paul Smith, QB, Tulsa
44. Todd Blythe, WR, Iowa St.
45. Marcus Dixon, DE, Hampton
46. Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri
47. Ryan Grice-Mullen, WR, Hawaii
48. Lance Leggett, WR, Miami (FL)
49. Steven Hauschka, K, North Carolina St.
50. Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia[/td] [/tr][/table]
smh.gif
at underclassmen goin undrafted, sickening
Hell yeah. on another note Dorian Bryant did NOT get drafted. Considering how you called him Steve Smith lite my dude gone have to work that muchharder to get another look.

Dirk where u get all your cowboy news from?
bloggingtheboys.com is pretty good. Grizz is usually really on top of things as far as personnel moves and such...

DeSean Jackson in the slot is going to be a TERROR. Forget press coverage. You get that dude matched against a LB or S, and he's gonna get LOOSE.

Hey Bears, meet your competition
Bennett, Steltz and Bowman have chance to play for Bears

David Haugh | On the Bears
April 28, 2008

38246737-27191650.jpg

Of the 10 unfamiliar names the Bears added to their roster Sunday on the second day of the NFL draft, a day chock full of contradictions at Halas Hall, worryabout learning only these three by September:

Earl Bennett, Craig Steltz and Zack Bowman.

Their arrivals immediately put three veterans on notice for possible departures: wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, safety Adam Archuleta and cornerback RickyManning Jr. Those vets join Cedric Benson as the Bears who inched closer to becoming ex-Bears during the draft without lifting a finger.

David Haugh David Haugh E-mail | Recent columns
Related Links

o
Whaddya think of the Bears' draft overall? Poll

Two character risks taken Sunday, defensive tackle Marcus Harrison of Arkansas and tight end Kellen Davis of Michigan State, also could cause some rostershuffling. But sketchy pasts that the Bears rationalized make any projections about those two murky.

Uncharacteristic injury gambles on five of the 10 players taken on Day 2 tempered enthusiasm about their futures and added pressure on top picks Chris Williamsand Matt Forte to make this the stellar draft class it could be.

Of Sunday's batch of new Bears, Bennett, Steltz and Bowman represent the best bets to make a quick impact.

Wide receiver Bennett, the all-time Southeastern Conference receptions leader from Vanderbilt, will force newcomer Lloyd to wow the Bears in training campenough to justify keeping six wide receivers. It seems like a stretch to see where Lloyd fits in now that Bennett has joined roster locks such as Marty Booker,Mark Bradley, Devin Hester and newly re-signed Rashied Davis.

Safety Steltz, an interchangeable Cover-2 safety who general manager Jerry Angelo believes can start, could supplant Archuleta on the depth chart if he fullyrecovers from a broken shoulder blade. Lovie Smith already committed to reinvesting hope in Mike Brown. Locks Brandon McGowan, Kevin Payne and Danieal Manninggive the Bears five safeties in better stead with the team than Archuleta. Barring injury, can they afford to keep a sixth?

Bears defensive coordinator Bob Babich raved just as much about Bowman, a cornerback with first-round talent limited by two knee injuries. But Babich stoppedshort of predicting he would start. Babich does expect Bowman to make an impact on special teams and provide depth at one of the outside corner spots.

With Manning Jr. coming off a down year in which the coaching staff lost confidence in him, if Bowman looks good enough to be a No. 2 corner, the Bears couldslide Trumaine McBride into Manning Jr.'s spot at nickel back.

With Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher, McBride, Bowman and special-teams standout Corey Graham giving the Bears five solid cornerbacks, Manning Jr. eventuallycould be the odd man out.

Speaking of odd, it was unusual to see the Bears take two players who dropped into lower rounds due to legal problems given what Angelo had identified as anemphasis on character.

Angelo volunteered at the NFL combine in February that his personal research had convinced him to start placing a higher priority on past bad behavior as apredictor of future problems. Then the Bears contradicted that thinking by taking two guys, Harrison and Davis, who are on a first-name basis with their localprobation officers.

Of all the mixed signals the Bears sent before this draft, this was the biggest. Their justification: Players passed over due to troubled pasts will feel morebeholden to the team that gives them a chance and toe the line - in theory.

"We're in business to win football games, [but] we're not going to prostitute character," Angelo said. "We don't put winning infront of character. We did eons of work on these kids. We missed [in 2004] on Tank [Johnson]. We made a mistake, but I'm not going to let [that] interrupthow we do business."

Angelo also gambled on players with injury histories more than one would expect from a GM with a reputation for avoiding high-risk prospects. He allowedfirst-round potential to trump other concerns that caused their draft-day descents.

If Harrison, Steltz or Bowman become injury-prone or has his development delayed due to injuries, the Bears cannot say they weren't warned. Steltz, forexample, hasn't delivered a hit since suffering a hairline fracture of his shoulder blade in the BCS Championship Game and is not yet 100 percent.

Steltz and Harrison were selected even though USC quarterback John David Booty, the quarterback the Bears wanted who eventually went the Vikings, was stillavailable.

"You really could take this whole class and find something medically wrong with them, and I look around [the league] at the other guys getting drafted andit's the same," Angelo said. "There are just more medical [issues] now."

Punctuating the trend, the Bears spent their final two picks on players with medical concerns that put any superlatives uttered about them in perspective.

Right tackle Kirk Barton of Ohio State required arthroscopic surgery on a previously reconstructed knee after a Senior Bowl injury. He also has had plantarfasciitis. The final pick, Arkansas wide receiver Marcus Monk, caught a school-record 27 touchdown passes but missed the first seven games with a knee injurythat required two surgeries to correct.

No, the Bears didn't draft a quarterback and took Steltz over Booty. But if necessary, they can always sign a veteran to provide insurance, andSunday's decision will have zero impact on the upcoming season.

Remember, this need-based draft was all about improving the roster enough to contend for the NFC North title again in 2008. Not in 2009.

At least the Bears stayed true to that philosophy Sunday, even as they strayed from a couple of other principles that typically guide them through the draft.

Back
Top Bottom