Official: 02/05/09 Los Angeles Lakers @ Boston Celtics 5PM PST on TNT

Originally Posted by kash55

Didn't see the game, but have seen multiple shots of the last shot by Ray Allen. That was not a foul. Not even close.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Chelu

Is it me only or do the Celtics move on almost every screen they set for their outside shooters. Perkins and Davis were sliding, backing and even tripping defenders but there were no calls. The officials also give Pierce some of the most ridiculous calls. Once Pierce moves towards a defender he starts grimacing like he's constipated and the whistle blow as soon as his jersey wrinkles. Meanwhile, Pau gets smacked arms and head on a two dunks, Kobe gets face guarded and leaned into his vertical space causing at least two short shots and there's no call. Even defending players without the ball, the Celtics get away with a lot of pushing and grabbing.

I'm 39 years old so I actually watched Kevin McHale clothesline Kurt Rambis and Danny Ainge bite Tree Rollins. I think the game should be played very physical in nature, but if the officials let one team with the physical style play that way, then the other team should be able to play equally physical. The Lakers still need to focus on defense more and start spending some more time with free throws. The Celtics need to stop thinking a bad *** atttitude and bullying is going to win them games. One thing is sure the Lakers are getting more confident playing against the Celtics regardless of what happened in last year's Finals. The bullies just got hit and it looks like they bleed too.
Agreed 100% of everything you said.

KG gets away with the most ridiculous high screens ever. There's a youtube vid... lemme try and find it.

edit:

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Didn't see the game, but have seen multiple shots of the last shot by Ray Allen. That was not a foul. Not even close.
laugh.gif
2cp3nrt.gif

There was NO foul on the shot. As you can see Ray Allen's feet, he slipped, lost his footing and was not able to get off a clean shot.

Closed Cased.

on tv looked like a lot of contact but that replay shows that ray just flopped it and pau got a piece of it.

I won't say that the Celtics get away with a lot of illegal screens or anything.

But there was one in the first quarter when Perkins stepped into Fisher (lowering his shoulder a little, too) along the baseline, freeing up Ray for three.

They probably don't get away with any more than any other team that screens for shooters, i.e. the Pistons. Players don't screen perfectly all thetime, and refs aren't gonna keep calling that.

Originally Posted by Chelu

Is it me only or do the Celtics move on almost every screen they set for their outside shooters. Perkins and Davis were sliding, backing and even tripping defenders but there were no calls. The officials also give Pierce some of the most ridiculous calls. Once Pierce moves towards a defender he starts grimacing like he's constipated and the whistle blow as soon as his jersey wrinkles. Meanwhile, Pau gets smacked arms and head on a two dunks, Kobe gets face guarded and leaned into his vertical space causing at least two short shots and there's no call. Even defending players without the ball, the Celtics get away with a lot of pushing and grabbing.

I'm 39 years old so I actually watched Kevin McHale clothesline Kurt Rambis and Danny Ainge bite Tree Rollins. I think the game should be played very physical in nature, but if the officials let one team with the physical style play that way, then the other team should be able to play equally physical. The Lakers still need to focus on defense more and start spending some more time with free throws. The Celtics need to stop thinking a bad *** atttitude and bullying is going to win them games. One thing is sure the Lakers are getting more confident playing against the Celtics regardless of what happened in last year's Finals. The bullies just got hit and it looks like they bleed too.
agreed. but after last years finals, I've come to expect it. They let the celtics play more physically than any other team in the league.Contrarily, PP probably gets some of the most ridiculous foul calls in his favor late in games.

Yeah, they move on a lot of their screens.

I was also surprised the ref's didn't call a foul or two on Pierce. Pierce was great on D, but he stepped into Kobe after the shot at least a fewtimes. One foul call changes the way he plays D which frees up Kobe to follow through on those jumpers.

Either way, Kobe and the coaching staff have to make an adjustment. Run a pick-and-roll or something.

Good win for the Lakers.

laugh.gif
2cp3nrt.gif

There was NO foul on the shot. As you can see Ray Allen's feet, he slipped, lost his footing and was not able to get off a clean shot.

Closed Cased.
You are absolutely right; there was no foul on the shot. BUT, you don't think Derek Fisher bodying Ray Allen as he is dribbling constitutes afoul? How about wrapping his arm in between Allen's arm and his body? If you don't think that's a foul, that is one thing. But saying things like"Not even close" or "Closed Cased" leaves no room for nuances and undermines your "case." The reason Derek Fisher can get awaywith plays like that is because he's a veteran and knows how far he can push it. He disrupts Allen on the dribble, then backs off and when Ray forces up anoff balance shot. Conveniently, that gif doesn't show that part of the sequence, but this does:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nba/clip137131#clip137131
I'm not saying that it should have been called because it's very difficult to see as it's happening live. But you lost your legitimacy by makingignorant statements like those above.

No doubt, but we all know that everyone would be calling for the officials head is he calls that a foul.
Ticky-Tack calls usually never get called to end the game.

Also, if EVERY single foul/traveling/3 second violation was called during an NBA game, we would be facing 4 hour games.

Sorry I can't embed it but follow that link and listen to the self pity trash they are spewing in Boston.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

No doubt, but we all know that everyone would be calling for the officials head is he calls that a foul.

Also, if EVERY single foul/traveling/3 second violation was called during an NBA game, we would be facing 4 hour games.
I completely agree. It would be pretty lame to end such a good game on a last second foul call. But the fact is that it was at least very close tobeing a foul, despite what kash55 says.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

I completely agree. It would be pretty lame to end such a good game on a last second foul call. But the fact is that it was at least very close to being a foul, despite what kash55 says.
laugh.gif

Get over it. It wasn't a foul. I hope the Chowduh heads keep telling themselves that as Cleveland takes them out in the Eastern Final.

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

^ How about those illegal screens by KG, Davis and Perkins that weren't called all night.
That may be so, but referencing irrelevant plays bears no weight on the particular discussion at hand.

You are absolutely right; there was no foul on the shot. BUT, you don't think Derek Fisher bodying Ray Allen as he is dribbling constitutes a foul? How about wrapping his arm in between Allen's arm and his body? If you don't think that's a foul, that is one thing. But saying things like "Not even close" or "Closed Cased" leaves no room for nuances and undermines your "case." The reason Derek Fisher can get away with plays like that is because he's a veteran and knows how far he can push it. He disrupts Allen on the dribble, then backs off and when Ray forces up an off balance shot. Conveniently, that gif doesn't show that part of the sequence, but this does:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nba/clip137131#clip137131http://watch.tsn.ca/nba/clip137131#clip137131
I'm not saying that it should have been called because it's very difficult to see as it's happening live. But you lost your legitimacy by making ignorant statements like those above.
Well put, I think. But taking it further, fans have to realize that not every foul is enough of a foul to get called.

I realize "a foul is a foul," but it's not that simple - even though you can argue it should be. Small ones like bumps and arm-bars usuallydon't get called at any point in the game, let alone the end. If the refs call every small foul, there'd be too many stoppages of play to keep theinterest.

You can go back to any pivotal play in NBA history and pick out a foul or something like that, especially if its in your favor.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

You are absolutely right; there was no foul on the shot. BUT, you don't think Derek Fisher bodying Ray Allen as he is dribbling constitutes a foul? How about wrapping his arm in between Allen's arm and his body? If you don't think that's a foul, that is one thing. But saying things like "Not even close" or "Closed Cased" leaves no room for nuances and undermines your "case." The reason Derek Fisher can get away with plays like that is because he's a veteran and knows how far he can push it. He disrupts Allen on the dribble, then backs off and when Ray forces up an off balance shot. Conveniently, that gif doesn't show that part of the sequence, but this does:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nba/clip137131#clip137131http://watch.tsn.ca/nba/clip137131#clip137131http://watch.tsn.ca/nba/clip137131#clip137131
I'm not saying that it should have been called because it's very difficult to see as it's happening live. But you lost your legitimacy by making ignorant statements like those above.
Well put, I think. But taking it further, fans have to realize that not every foul is enough of a foul to get called.

I realize "a foul is a foul," but it's not that simple - even though you can argue it should be. Small ones like bumps and arm-bars usually don't get called at any point in the game, let alone the end. If the refs call every small foul, there'd be too many stoppages of play to keep the interest.

You can go back to any pivotal play in NBA history and pick out a foul or something like that, especially if its in your favor.
Ask the Jazz, they will agree with you.

one thing i noticed and absolutely loved was that the lakers were grabbing and holding dudes as they ran by on occasion.
or they would bump into them if they were trying to make cuts into the lane.
im nto saying i condone these things but these are some of the things the celtics get away with and im glad the lakers are taking advantage of their own styleof basketball.

Originally Posted by KB8isCLUTCH

one thing i noticed and absolutely loved was that the lakers were grabbing and holding dudes as they ran by on occasion.
or they would bump into them if they were trying to make cuts into the lane.
im nto saying i condone these things but these are some of the things the celtics get away with and im glad the lakers are taking advantage of their own style of basketball.

yeah, even Josh Powell was getting it in with the other Powell

Back
Top Bottom