Official 10' NFL Offseason Thread: CIN sign T.O. 1yr/2m

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Former bball player - Arizona Forward Houston TE Fendi Onobun's pro day numbers: 6'6" 252 lbs 4.48 & 4.50 plus 11 ft broad jump Wow

I'm not surprised
pimp.gif

It's all a game...scouts/GM's for certain teams talking down Dez Bryant are all doing so in an attempt that other teams will pass so he'll fall in their laps. Yeah, he's got some red-flags...but they are not arrests and things of that nature. All of the things that he's been chided for can probably be corrected if he has some good veteran players around him at the WR spot. They'll stay on his !$$ to ensure they get the best out of him.

Well damn...

@mortreport: Did report on NFL Live today that OK.State coaches have had Larry Fitzgerald & Randy Moss (yes!) talk to Dez about pitfalls.
Guess that dinner with Jerry is paying dividends already

Spoiler [+]
jones1.jpg

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

Well damn...

@mortreport: Did report on NFL Live today that OK.State coaches have had Larry Fitzgerald & Randy Moss (yes!) talk to Dez about pitfalls.
Guess that dinner with Jerry is paying dividends already

Spoiler [+]
jones1.jpg

If the cowboys get Dez
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dez Bryant: "Whoever passes up on me, it's over with"
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 31, 2010 1:47 PM ET

Former Oklahoma State Dez Bryant's Pro Day left him open to some criticism, and the wide receiver has heard enough.

"I'm not the type of person that will try to confront somebody but now I feel like it's gone too far. It's gone too far," Bryant said to The Associated Press.  "I haven't did anything wrong to nobody."

Bryant has a point.  Most of the character concerns attached to him have been vague.  Teams want to know how important football is to him, not if he needed a small army to help him wake up for class. 

"Whoever passes up on me, it's over with. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did," he added. "That man had issues and teams were passing up on him, and when he got on that field, he killed them. He murdered them. Look at him today: One of the best players in the NFL."

Detractors may see these comments and say Bryant a loose cannon.  I like his confidence. 

We praise Peyton Manning for telling the Colts he'd kick their $#% for the next 15 years if they passed on him. Bryant essentially just told the league the same thing.

Teams will take a receiver with edge over one that's unsure of his ability.  A draft-day fall is only going to motivate Bryant.

Bryant also took umbrage with our report about his missing cleats.  He said he had six pairs with him, just not his favorite one. And that it may not have made a difference.

"What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."

pimp.gif

From rotoworld.

Texas S Earl Thomas reportedly ran a 4.35 forty at the Longhorns' Pro Day on Wednesday.
Thomas ran in the 4.44-4.53 range in Indy, so this is an improvement. ESPN's Todd McShay noted that Thomas "so far has had the biggest day" of any Longhorn. Thomas seems unlikely to fall out of the top-20 picks this April.

pimp.gif

hmmm i wouldnt mind thomas at the 20th pick......

from most mock drafts and what ive read the Texans looking at

CJ Spiller
Ryan Matthews (anyone got some opinions on this kid? )
Joe Haden (
pimp.gif
)
i hope we dont go DT
smh.gif
smh.gif

[h1]Dez Bryant: "Whoever passes up on me, it's over with"[/h1]
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 31, 2010 1:47 PM ET

Former Oklahoma State Dez Bryant's Pro Day left him open to some criticism, and the wide receiver has heard enough.

"I'm not the type of person that will try to confront somebody but now I feel like it's gone too far. It's gone too far," Bryant said to The Associated Press.  "I haven't did anything wrong to nobody."

Bryant has a point.  Most of the character concerns attached to him have been vague.  Teams want to know how important football is to him, not if he needed a small army to help him wake up for class. 

"Whoever passes up on me, it's over with. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did," he added. "That man had issues and teams were passing up on him, and when he got on that field, he killed them. He murdered them. Look at him today: One of the best players in the NFL."

Detractors may see these comments and say Bryant a loose cannon.  I like his confidence. 

We praise Peyton Manning for telling the Colts he'd kick their +*$ for the next 15 years if they passed on him. Bryant essentially just told the league the same thing.

Teams will take a receiver with edge over one that's unsure of his ability.  A draft-day fall is only going to motivate Bryant.

Bryant also took umbrage with our report about his missing cleats.  He said he had six pairs with him, just not his favorite one. And that it may not have made a difference.

"What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."

jesus christ jerry please dont throw your draft away on dez bryant ... let people sleep on golden tate and grab him for less ... PLEASE!

I really wonder if he gets it...? His issues aren't like Randy's issues were..

[h1]Todd McShay backlash builds[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 12:56 PM ET

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay.  As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail.  "People in the league respect Kiper.  He is not a true scout but he does work at it.  A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few.  When he was younger he used to burn some bridges.  He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

"McShay does not have any good connections," the source opined.  "Higher-ups in the league think he is an arrogant !+++!%*.  A know-it-all.  And he really knows nothing.  Whatever he says about a quarterback, take it to the bank, it will be the opposite.  Remember, last August he stated that Jevan Snead was better than Colt McCoy and would get drafted in the top five.  He has yet to publicly retract that statement.

"One of the reasons the kid came out was because of what McShay said.  The family thought McShay knew and everyone else was wrong. . . .  He has problems with game management, accuracy and leadership among other things, but pretty boy Todd thought he was great because of one good game (the Cotton Bowl) a year ago.  McShay is a pretty face who comes across like he knows what he is talking about.  He does have good presence, but knows nothing."

A common name we've heard when it comes to McShay is Andre Woodson.  McShay championed Woodson during the 2007 season.  Woodson ended up being a sixth-round pick, and he's now out of the league. 

The teams knew that Woodson wasn't as good as McShay was saying.  The problem is that the player and his family don't have access to what the teams are thinking.  The player and his family see and hear the stuff that gets played on television, and they tend to believe it when ESPN attaches to the talking head the phony, official-sounding title of "director of college scouting."

But not all draft experts fall into that category.

"The best guy in the amateur scouting/draftnik business in Mike Mayock," the source said.  "Mike does more film work then any of those other guys put together.  He is the only one who has access to the NFL dub center where all the college tapes go before they get distributed to the teams.  He watches hours and hours of tape.  You might not always agree with his evaluations but he works hard at it and you have to respect that."

The source ended with a prediction regarding Clausen's prospects. 

"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said.  "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft.  His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous.  If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching.  Offense was not the problem.  I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented.  He has a strong arm and is very accurate.  Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

In our view, McShay does present well on television, where the requirement isn't to know what you're talking about but to seem like you know what you're talking about.  But we've heard from more than a few people who work as NFL scouts that McShay doesn't know what he's talking about.  Right or wrong, those voices will only get louder in their criticism as McShay gets more air time -- and as he becomes more pointed with criticisms of players that NFL scouts regard as erroneous.

laugh.gif

and I may be way late on this but NFL network had a Steve Smith sound byte thing on this mornin, hilarious. "you might be taller me than but my paper longer than yours"
roll.gif
. And I'm pretty sure he was looking into the crowd saying that.

[h1]2010 NFL Preseason Schedule[/h1]
  • 3/31/2010 2:55 PM ET By FanHouse Newswire

The 2010 NFL preseason schedule was released in full on Wednesday afternoon. As always, each team will participate in four exhibition contests prior to the start of the regular season.

The lone exceptions are the participants in the annual Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio -- this year, that contest will pit Cincinnati and Dallas on Sunday, Aug. 8. Those two teams will play five preseason games. Carolina and Baltimore will kickoff the first full week of preseason games, Aug. 12 in Baltimore.

The entire preseason schedule can be found below. The regular-season schedule is expected to be released around April 13.

Hall of Fame Game
    Aug. 8 -- Cincinnati vs. Dallas in Canton, Ohio (NBC)

Preseason Week 1
    Aug. 12 -- Carolina Panthers at Baltimore Ravens (ESPN)
    Aug. 16 -- New York Giants at New York Jets (ESPN)
    TBD -- Buffalo Bills at Washington ********
    TBD -- Chicago Bears at San Deigo Chargers
    TBD -- Cleveland Browns at Green Bay Packers
    TBD -- Denver Broncos at Cincinnati Bengals
    TBD -- Detroit Lions at Pittsburgh Steelers
    TBD -- Houston Texans at Arizona Cardinals
    TBD -- Jacksonville Jaguars at Philadelphia Eagles
    TBD -- Kansas City Chiefs at Atlanta Falcons
    TBD -- Minnesota Vikings at St. Louis Rams
    TBD -- New Orleans Saints at New England Patriots
    TBD -- Oakland Raiders at Dallas Cowboys
    TBD -- San Francisco 49ers at Indianapolis Colts
    TBD -- Tennessee Titans at Seattle Seahawks
    TBD -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Miami Dolphins

Preseason Week 2
    Aug. 19 -- New England Patriots at Atlanta Falcons (FOX)
    Aug. 20 -- Philadelphia Eagles at Cincinnati Bengals (FOX)
    Aug. 22 -- Minnesota Vikings at San Francisco 49ers (NBC)
    Aug. 23 -- Arizona Cardinals at Tennessee Titans (ESPN)
    TBD -- Baltimore Ravens at Washington ********
    TBD -- Dallas Cowboys at San Diego Chargers
    TBD -- Detroit Lions at Denver Broncos
    TBD -- Green Bay Packers at Seattle Seahawks
    TBD -- Houston Texans at New Orleans Saints
    TBD -- Indianapolis Colts at Buffalo Bills (in Toronto)
    TBD -- Kansas City Chiefs at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    TBD -- Miami Dolphins at Jacksonville Jaguars
    TBD -- New York Jets at Carolina Panthers
    TBD -- Oakland Raiders at Chicago Bears
    TBD -- Pittsburgh Steelers at New York Giants
    TBD -- St. Louis Rams at Cleveland Browns

Preseason Week 3
    Aug. 26 -- Indianapolis Colts at Green Bay Packers (ESPN)
    Aug. 27 -- San Diego Chargers at New Orleans Saints (CBS)
    Aug. 28 -- Dallas Cowboys at Houston Texans (CBS)
    Aug. 29 -- Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos (FOX)
    TBD -- Arizona Cardinals at Chicago Bears
    TBD -- Atlanta Falcons at Miami Dolphins
    TBD -- Cincinnati Bengals at Buffalo Bills
    TBD -- Cleveland Browns at Detroit Lions
    TBD -- Jacksonville Jaguars at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    TBD -- New York Giants at Baltimore Ravens
    TBD -- Philadelphia Eagles at Kansas City Chiefs
    TBD -- St. Louis Rams at New England Patriots
    TBD -- San Francisco 49ers at Oakland Raiders
    TBD -- Seattle Seahawks at Minnesota Vikings
    TBD -- Tennessee Titans at Carolina Panthers
    TBD -- Washington ******** at New York Jets

Preseason Week 4
    TBD -- Atlanta Falcons at Jacksonville Jaguars
    TBD -- Baltimore Ravens at St. Louis Rams
    TBD -- Buffalo Bills at Detroit Lions
    TBD -- Carolina Panthers at Pittsburgh Steelers
    TBD -- Chicago Bears at Cleveland Browns
    TBD -- Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts
    TBD -- Denver Broncos at Minnesota Vikings
    TBD -- Green Bay Packers at Kansas City Chiefs
    TBD -- Miami Dolphins at Dallas Cowboys
    TBD -- New England Patriots at New York Giants
    TBD -- New Orleans Saints at Tennessee Titans
    TBD -- New York Jets at Philadelphia Eagles
    TBD -- San Diego Chargers at San Francisco 49ers
    TBD -- Seattle Seahawks at Oakland Raiders
    TBD -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Houston Texans
    TBD -- Washington ******** at Arizona Cardinals

Bills, Ravens, Jets, Cardinals...and I really hope we have no National TV games this season (at least no Night games) not after last season
laugh.gif

That's awesome people finally calling out that douche bag McShay.  I hope they start boycotting ESPN over it too.  Clausen should deny interviews, attack ESPN on NFL network, whatever he can think of.  Somebody needs to start speakin on ESPN's ways, NFL draft is the best time. 

[h1]Dez Bryant would be wise to quit talking until after the draft[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 4:22 PM ET

Rosenthal posted an item earlier today regarding receiver Dez Bryant's recent comments to the Associated Press.  Rosenthal seemed to like Bryant's bravado.

I don't.

Bryant could very well end up being a phenomenal NFL player.  But if he flames out, the warning signs were present.

It started with the decision to lie to NCAA investigators regarding his relationship with Deion Sanders.  And it was magnified by the report -- not rumor, as the AP now tries to describe it -- from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports regarding multiple instances of tardiness for various activities, including games.

Bryant put his credibility firmly on the line when he responded to the report by claiming he's never been late for anything.  Any team that is able to confirm Cole's report with a phone call to an Oklahoma State assistant coach, teammate, or roommate should think seriously about taking Bryant off the board, because it will mean that Bryant cannot be trusted, ever.

More recently, Bryant blew his chance at a buzz-building Pro Day by not bringing his best cleats to the event.  And while he scoffs at our report that he forgot to bring cleats at all by pointing out he brought six pairs but didn't bring the best ones, does he really think that his explanation makes the situation any better? 

Bryant forgot to bring the shoes he wanted to wear.  The fact that he brought a bunch of other shoes makes him look even more scatterbrained and disorganized.

His response?  "What do this got to do with me playing football?  Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football?  I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."

Technically, it doesn't have anything to do with playing football.  But the kind of character flaw that makes a guy tell a lie whenever he thinks the truth would hurt his interests and the kind of knuckleheadedness that makes a guy show up late (allegedly) or forget to bring his best shoes for the biggest 40-yard dash of his life will manifest itself in other ways.

Plaxico Burress was constantly late for stuff.  And he eventually blew a hole through his leg and landed in jail for 20 months.

Burress wasn't a criminal.  But he did something criminally stupid.  And Bryant is supplying the football-following world with evidence to reinforce the time-honored maxim that stupid is as stupid does.

Plenty of stupid guys can play football very well.  But stupid guys can also do things that keep them from being available to play football.  And it can happen because they slept too late or because they carried a loaded gun into a Manhattan night club or because of one of many other potential reasons in between.

So whoever decides to take a chance on Bryant will have to account for the possibility that he might do something to affect his ability to play football -- and they'll need to be able and willing to spend the money and time necessary to protect Bryant from himself.

Our advice to Bryant?  Quit trying to explain these events.  It's only making the situation yet. 

Better yet, don't say anything at all until after you're drafted

[h1]
[h1]No charges to be filed against Joey Porter[/h1]
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 31, 2010 4:36 PM ET

Joey Porter will not faces charges stemming from his arrest on March 27, the district attorney in Bakersfield, California said Wednesday.  Porter was arrested for DUI and assaulting a police officer.

Porter was arrested early Saturday by the California Highway Patrol after he pulled up behind another motorist they had stopped. He was accused of slapping an officer's hand and exiting his car in a "confrontational manner."

It's unclear why the district attorney's office is not pursuing the charges.  The California Highway Patriot officer that busted Porter has since come under investigation for brutality.
[/h1]

Back
Top Bottom