..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Originally Posted by tylerdub

yes she did. Did you see us?

Why does espn talk about the stupid curse everytime the cubs are on.

Because ESPN is trash.

That's all you need to know. I am so sick of ESPN and their coverage. I am pretty sure we are all aware of the curse by now.
ohwell.gif

Nice prime time win by the Cubs, and the Birds keep pace by nipping theBrewers.
Barton is one fast dude, turned a routine single into an easy double. Tony, let this man loose on the base paths!

Hopefully we can take back first tomorrow.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by aRog27

Nice prime time win by the Cubs.
Wow.....it's almost unbelievable to hear that from a Cardinals' fan.

laugh.gif
I dislike the Cubs just as much as the next STL native, but anyonecan acknowledge that they are playing some pretty good ball. However, look for my demeanor to change when the Cubbies come to town.
aRog27, I guess I'm just a little giddy because LOST is back this week.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

speaking of Cards fans, is Pujols gonna make it through the whole season? I heard hes gonna need tommy johns surgery.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

speaking of Cards fans, is Pujols gonna make it through the whole season? I heard hes gonna need tommy johns surgery.

As far as I know he will be fine. I haven't heard anything about Tommy John for Pujols in the paper or on the radio.

w7aerKLH.jpg

Cards claim wacky win in Milwaukee

Schumaker sends Redbirds past Brewers in series opener

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Cardinals squeezed just enough from their offensive chances to eke out a 4-3 win over the Brewers at Miller Park on Monday night.
Skip Schumaker's first hit of the night came in his fifth at-bat, and it was a big one. Schumaker doubled to right-center field in the top of the ninth, scoring Brian Barton for the go-ahead run. Barton had led off the inning with a double against Derrick Turnbow, and he took third on Cesar Izturis' sacrifice bunt.

The run gave the win to Ryan Franklin, who allowed a single tally in the eighth but escaped a situation that could have gotten much worse. Jason Isringhausen picked up his seventh save in eight chances.

Adam Wainwright tossed seven excellent innings for the Redbirds, but he received a no-decision. Wainwright allowed two runs on four hits while striking out six and walking four. He has pitched at least seven innings in each of his four starts this year.

In a bizarre exchange, the Cardinals took an eighth-inning lead, then gave it back, thanks in large part to mirror-image plays. Right fielder Corey Hart's misplay on a ball hit by Ryan Ludwick set up Ludwick to score the go-ahead run in the top of the inning.

Then, in the bottom half, Ludwick misplayed a ball hit by Hart that brought the tying run home. Ludwick appeared to lose the ball in the lights, and so he was not charged with an error. It is likely, though, that the run would have scored on a sacrifice fly even if Ludwick had fielded it cleanly.

St. Louis improved to 13-7 on the year. The Cardinals trail the first-place Cubs by one-half game in the National League Central.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

A win is a win
pimp.gif
, The Cubs are looking good right now sothere is no room for error.

2iu6hkj.jpg

Cubs Score 5 in the 8th, Put Mets Away
Cubs Win 7-1
CHICAGO -- Ronny Cedeno wasn't supposed to start, but he came through with a clutch, two-out, two-run single. Felix Pie has spent the last weekwatching more video of his swing than the actual games, and he delivered a three-run homer. And Kosuke Fukudome did exactly what he's been doing since Day1, keeping an inning alive with a single after a 10-pitch at-bat.
All of that came in the eighth inning Monday night, a confidence booster for the Cubs, as they posted a 7-1 win over the New York Mets.

Aramis Ramirez hit a two-run homer, and Pie added his three-run shot to back Carlos Zambrano and power the Cubs, now 13-6 to open the season for the firsttime since 1985. Think about it: In April 2007, the Cubs won 10 games.

"These kids are playing ball," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "The confidence has slowly been building. We just have to go out and play.It's good to see. We still have a ways to go. We're pleased with the progress, and we just have to keep going."

Zambrano (3-1) scattered five hits, walked two and struck out four over seven innings. He was grooving his sinker at the right time, inducing four doubleplays.

"When my sinker is going good, which is my best pitch, I throw it in any situation, like ground ball or strikeout," Zambrano said. "It'sgood to have a good sinker. That was basically what I did today was use my sinker."

Ramirez homered in the fourth, driving in Derrek Lee, who had singled. The Cubs third baseman launched the first pitch from John Maine (1-2) into thebleachers in left-center. Maine struck out six and gave up five hits over six innings.

The Mets closed to 2-1 in the sixth, when Endy Chavez doubled, advanced on a sacrifice and scored as Jose Reyes hit into a double play.

Then came the Chicago eighth. Reyes couldn't get his glove on Lee's grounder to start the inning for an error, and Ramirez was hit by a pitch byAaron Heilman. Fukudome outlasted Heilman in a 10-pitch at-bat and singled to load the bases. The Japanese outfielder leads the Major Leagues, seeing 4.58pitches per plate appearance.

"It came from my lack of ability to connect on a ball that could've been hit for a base hit," Fukudome said through interpreter Ryuji Araki."That's why I fouled a lot of the pitches."

It seems like the rest of the Cubs are more patient this year, too. Maybe they're copying him?

"Perhaps it just seems that way," Fukudome said.

Mark DeRosa then struck out, and Geovany Soto popped up. Cedeno, starting in place of Ryan Theriot, whose back locked up before the game, had another goodat-bat, which ended with a two-run single to center for a 4-1 lead.

"I saw DeRosa and Soto swing too hard in that situation, so I tried to keep my swing more short," Cedeno said. "This guy [Heilman] has goodstuff. I said, 'I'll take it to the middle,' and that's what I did, was take it to the middle."

Heilman exited, and Pie greeted Jorge Sosa with his first home run. The young outfielder pumped his fist as he ran the bases. He hasn't started sinceApril 15, as the Cubs try to improve his swing.

"It's a good feeling -- something in my life I'll never forget," Pie said.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

w7aerKLH.jpg

Cards claim wacky win in Milwaukee

Schumaker sends Redbirds past Brewers in series opener

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Cardinals squeezed just enough from their offensive chances to eke out a 4-3 win over the Brewers at Miller Park on Monday night.
Skip Schumaker's first hit of the night came in his fifth at-bat, and it was a big one. Schumaker doubled to right-center field in the top of the ninth, scoring Brian Barton for the go-ahead run. Barton had led off the inning with a double against Derrick Turnbow, and he took third on Cesar Izturis' sacrifice bunt.

The run gave the win to Ryan Franklin, who allowed a single tally in the eighth but escaped a situation that could have gotten much worse. Jason Isringhausen picked up his seventh save in eight chances.

Adam Wainwright tossed seven excellent innings for the Redbirds, but he received a no-decision. Wainwright allowed two runs on four hits while striking out six and walking four. He has pitched at least seven innings in each of his four starts this year.

In a bizarre exchange, the Cardinals took an eighth-inning lead, then gave it back, thanks in large part to mirror-image plays. Right fielder Corey Hart's misplay on a ball hit by Ryan Ludwick set up Ludwick to score the go-ahead run in the top of the inning.

Then, in the bottom half, Ludwick misplayed a ball hit by Hart that brought the tying run home. Ludwick appeared to lose the ball in the lights, and so he was not charged with an error. It is likely, though, that the run would have scored on a sacrifice fly even if Ludwick had fielded it cleanly.

St. Louis improved to 13-7 on the year. The Cardinals trail the first-place Cubs by one-half game in the National League Central.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
A win is a win
pimp.gif
, The Cubs are looking good right now so there is no room for error.

Dude, are you ok?

What's with all the honesty out of these Cards' fans ? It's kinda nice to here non-negative comments about the Cubbies.

I'm waiting for StL. to collapse, but I have a feeling that their gonna be in it for a long while.

Havent posted here in YEARS

Cards fan by the way........Anything interesting been going on?

What is wrong with these Cardinal fans? Giving the cubs compliments? I detect some "cheering for the opposite team in order to jinx them" like thatmovie Celtic Pride.. lol...

stevie_wonder.jpg

Even Stevie Wonder can see that the Cubs are ballin' right now.

Being a fan of the Cardinals shouldn't make one oblivious to the Cubs' performance.

Hot like frying pans baby !!

"It came from my lack of ability to connect on a ball that could've been hit for a base hit," Fukudome said through interpreter Ryuji Araki. "That's why I fouled a lot of the pitches."

It seems like the rest of the Cubs are more patient this year, too. Maybe they're copying him?

"Perhaps it just seems that way," Fukudome said.

Mark DeRosa then struck out, and Geovany Soto popped up. Cedeno, starting in place of Ryan Theriot, whose back locked up before the game, had another good at-bat, which ended with a two-run single to center for a 4-1 lead.

"I saw DeRosa and Soto swing too hard in that situation, so I tried to keep my swing more short," Cedeno said. "This guy [Heilman] has good stuff. I said, 'I'll take it to the middle,' and that's what I did, was take it to the middle."

Heilman exited, and Pie greeted Jorge Sosa with his first home run. The young outfielder pumped his fist as he ran the bases. He hasn't started since April 15, as the Cubs try to improve his swing.

LOL at Fukudome, even when he has an awesome at bat with a great result he just says he should've done better.

Interesting observation by Cedeno. Its good to see that he is finally starting to get the game. That was a pretty crafty hitting adjustment he decided on byobserving the other batters.

I would love to see Pie as our everyday centerfielder, he is so talented. You very rarely see him give a team extra outs in center, he is fast. If the cubscoaches get his swing working properly it would be awesome. I do like Reed Johnson too though, tough decision for Sweet Lou to make. I guess its a good problemto have.

Why do we only play the Mets 6 times this year, and only get 2 at home? The schedule these days are weird. We goona play Pittsburgh 53 times this year and weget the Mets for only 6?
smh.gif

HUGE comeback by the cardinals.......I remember when gagne was a GUARANTEED save every time.......This is crazy
Im content with a close game win or lose, at least it wasnt a blowout

Gagne shouldn't be called Game Over. Any new ideas for a new name for him?

GRAND SLAM CEDENO!!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
Holy #$#@!!!

Wow......Ronnie with a Grand Salami !!!!

[color= rgb(255, 51, 51)]He is on fiyahhhhhhh[/color]

Wow.
eek.gif

What is goin on here? Great little run we have goin, but Colorado tomorrow, and they damn tough. Big early season matchup.

Can't blame Gagne today, on the double play if Weeks has a good throw the ball game is over and he gets the save. Gabe Kapler is that dude.

Back
Top Bottom