OFFICIAL 2009-2010 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS SEASON THREAD - (10-6) - Ravens @ Patriots - Wild Card

Schobel owns the Pats, so his performance wasnt suprising.

FOXBORO - Patriots [team stats] star linebacker Jerod Mayo left last night's game in the first quarter with a right knee injury, a potentially devastating blow to the Patriots.

The reigning AP defensive rookie of the year looked to sustain the injury when engaged with a blocker, tumbling to the turf and spending several moments there. Doctors flexed Mayo's knee, then took him into the locker room. Officially, he was listed as "questionable." In his place, Gary Guyton moved to the middle.

Following the Pats' 25-24 win over the Bills, coach Bill Belichick said he had no update.

"I wish I did," he said.

Teammates described Mayo as being in "good spirits" at halftime. Mayo told one teammate, "It's nothing serious."

efc1644cd50def43e23036a8b4230b40c92a920e.pjpg

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

FOXBORO - Patriots [team stats] star linebacker Jerod Mayo left last night's game in the first quarter with a right knee injury, a potentially devastating blow to the Patriots.

The reigning AP defensive rookie of the year looked to sustain the injury when engaged with a blocker, tumbling to the turf and spending several moments there. Doctors flexed Mayo's knee, then took him into the locker room. Officially, he was listed as "questionable." In his place, Gary Guyton moved to the middle.

Following the Pats' 25-24 win over the Bills, coach Bill Belichick said he had no update.

"I wish I did," he said.

Teammates described Mayo as being in "good spirits" at halftime. Mayo told one teammate, "It's nothing serious."

apparently randy moss called a WR meeting this morning on the team's day off to watch film...they all attended
pimp.gif

[h1]Brady called his shot[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2009 12:33 PM ET
Though he didn't point to the center field wall at Gillette Stadium in the waning moments of Monday night's thrilling win over the Bills, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady impersonated Babe Ruth for a much smaller audience.

Per Peter King of SI.com, Brady entered the huddle with 5:32 remaining and his team trailing by 11 points, and he delivered an unequivocal message to the rest of the offense.

"Get your hats on,'' Brady said. "We're gonna score before the two-minute warning, get the ball back, then we're gonna score again and win this thing!''

(In an unrelated note, Matt Hasselbeck just shifted in his chair.)

"He knew," receiver Randy Moss said after the game, according to King. "When you got a guy like that, speaking like that, leading you like that, there ain't nothing for the other 10 of us to do but shut up and go out and make plays.'
corny but
pimp.gif
nonetheless

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

"I wish I did," he said.

praying-dog-boy.jpg

DeadsetAce wrote:
apparently randy moss called a WR meeting this morning on the team's day off to watch film...they all attended
pimp.gif

my man
pimp.gif
DeadsetAce wrote:

[h1]Brady called his shot[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2009 12:33 PM ET
Though he didn't point to the center field wall at Gillette Stadium in the waning moments of Monday night's thrilling win over the Bills, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady impersonated Babe Ruth for a much smaller audience.

Per Peter King of SI.com, Brady entered the huddle with 5:32 remaining and his team trailing by 11 points, and he delivered an unequivocal message to the rest of the offense.

"Get your hats on,'' Brady said. "We're gonna score before the two-minute warning, get the ball back, then we're gonna score again and win this thing!''

(In an unrelated note, Matt Hasselbeck just shifted in his chair.)

"He knew," receiver Randy Moss said after the game, according to King. "When you got a guy like that, speaking like that, leading you like that, there ain't nothing for the other 10 of us to do but shut up and go out and make plays.'

corny but
pimp.gif
nonetheless

that's epic stuff right there.
pimp.gif

local radio is saying four to six weeks for mayo....but then come back and confirm mayo claiming its not serious. i confuse
laugh.gif

[h1]Mayo has sprained MCLhttp://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/09/mayo_has_sprain.html[/h1]
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/09/mayo_has_sprain.htmlLink|Comments (0) Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff September 15, 2009 08:50 PM

According to two sources with direct knowledge of Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo's injury, Mayo sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee on Monday night against the Buffalo Bills.

One source said that Mayo was expected to be out 6 to 8 weeks with the Grade 3 MCL sprain, but the other source said that the timetable is "not that bad" and Mayo is expected to be back quicker than that.

Mayo suffered the injury following a 16-yard run by Buffalo running back Fred Jackson during the first quarter of the Patriots' 25-24 win over the Bills. That was only the sixth defensive play of the game for the Patriots, excluding plays nullified by penalties.

The second-year linebacker and 2008 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year was able to walk off the field under his own power and was examined on the sidelines before heading back to the locker room. He did not return.

Today Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the injury to Mayo, one of the team's two defensive captains, along with Vince Wilfork, and its defensive playcaller, was not considered season-ending.

"I don't think that is what it is," said Belichick.

Now, we know.

dagger.

Shaun Ellis back next week too, Brady going to be feeling the heat all day especially with that weak %+@ o-line.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Shaun Ellis back next week too, Brady going to be feeling the heat all day especially with that weak %+@ o-line.
time for welker to get his slant swerve on....

Originally Posted by janoy

^ I think he wants to go to a team where he has a chance to start.
he could probably start at OLB for us if we move thomas inside

[h1]Report: Pats thinking about going after Derrick Brooks[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2009 11:20 AM ET
When news emerged that Pats linebacker Jerod Mayo has a Grade 3 MCL sprain, which could knock him out of action for up to two months, many presumed that the Patriots would dial up Junior Seau or Tedy Bruschi.

But they might be going in a different direction in their search for an aging linebacker.

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, citing an unnamed source with knowledge of the team's thinking, reports that linebacker Derrick Brooks could be joining the team.

"They're kicking it around," the source told Rapoport.

Rapoport suggests that Adalius Thomas could be shifted to the inside, with Brooks then playing on the outside.

The loss of Mayo hurts a defense that has gotten dramatically younger and less experienced with the departures of Rodney Harrison, Seau, Bruschi, and Richard Seymour. Mayo was expected to be the leader of the unit -- they'll now need leadership to emerge from others.

Brooks, a fixture in Tampa since the days of the Creamsicles, was linked to the Bears earlier this week, and in the offseason he flirted with the Saints. By signing with the Pats, he'd get a chance to face his old team next month in England.

Just like last season, injuries will really shape up who comes out on top in this division. Too bad Mayo got injured.

Oops, didn't see J Rain's post.

eek.gif
at Brooks though. I wonder how much he has left in the tank.

Originally Posted by JD617

eek.gif
i THINK he can still play. but the bigger thing is he knows our defensive style, apparently. plus, when mayo comes back...you put mayo and thomasinside, brooks on the outside with woods or hopefully burgess by then...and we're not too shabby with our 3-4 defense. but yeah, this is all IF he canstill play
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

eek.gif
i THINK he can still play. but the bigger thing is he knows our defensive style, apparently. plus, when mayo comes back...you put mayo and thomas inside, brooks on the outside with woods or hopefully burgess by then...and we're not too shabby with our 3-4 defense. but yeah, this is all IF he can still play
laugh.gif

im most worried about week 2 against the jets and week 3 (the ATLiens).....if we can survive him being out until week 8 (a bye) he can come back extra freshfor week 9 miami.
a good game to get his feet wet

baltimore and tennessee also is cause for concern

what games worry u guys the most if we dont have Soda Mustard?

^ basically anyone with a strong running game or anyone that runs a lot of screens

i think we can get by as long as our offense gets back on track. the defense isn't gonna be crazy strong even with mayo. so regardless of his status, theoffense needs to win these games, while the defense keeps us in them.

that said, wilfork and ty were on the radio yesterday. they both seemed a little offended people dont have much faith in the defense. they both stated that thedefense WILL get it together and will be a top 10 defense by year end...hope hes right
laugh.gif

DERRICK BROOK RUMORS SQUASHED...he has signed on to work as an analyst on ESPN
Damn
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I'm still hoping Seau comes along for the ride and gets his first ring with us...time is ticking
ohwell.gif

Not as a replacement for Mayo, but a nice role player...comes in for a couple snaps a game or something

Did he official retire or what? He didn't play at all last year...

i think i heard seau will be making his decision of whether or not to return in october...so we very well might see him.

Kerry Rhodes, of New York Jets, wants to 'embarrass' New England Patriots

The New York Jets' defenders are talking big for their Week 2 matchup against the New England Patriots. Earlier this week, defensive tackle Kris Jenkins called this game the Jets' "Super Bowl" and on Wednesday, free safety Kerry Rhodes said he wanted to "embarrass" the Patriots.
The Patriots (1-0) have owned the Jets (1-0) since Bill Belichick became their coach in 2000, going 13-6, including one playoff game, against New York. Tom Brady and Co. have won the past eight games played against the Jets at the Meadowlands.

Rhodes wants to change that -- and make a statement doing it.

"You go out from the first quarter on, from the first play on, and try to embarrass them," Rhodes said, according to the New York Daily News. "Not just go out there and try to win, try to embarrass them. Try to make them feel bad when they leave here. We don't want to just beat them. We want to send a message to them, 'We're not backing down from you and we expect to win this game, and it's not going to be luck, it's not going to be a mistake.' "

Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Baltimore defensive coordinator, brought the attacking Ravens defense and its propensity for trash-talking to New York. The Jets surprised the Houston Texans in Week 1, romping to a 24-7 victory. The Jets' defense didn't allow a point, as Houston's lone score came on a defensive touchdown.

Brady, returning from a knee injury that cost him almost the entire 2008 season, was hit only six times by the Buffalo Bills in Week 1's comeback victory. Rhodes said Brady will be hit far more often by the Jets' defense, which hit Texans quarterback Matt Schaub eight times in Week 1.

"We will hit him more than six times. I promise you that," Rhodes said, according to the Daily News.

Rhodes insisted the Jets "won't play dirty" but that Brady will be vulnerable.

"I'm sure if somebody is around his leg, or he feels pressure below, he's not going to step into his throw," Rhodes said, according to the Daily News.

"Any quarterback can be rattled," Rhodes said, according to the newspaper. "He's one of the best, don't get me wrong. That's evident. Any quarterback, Peyton Manning, even if you get in his face, if you rattle the quarterback, you get pressure on the quarterback, any quarterback it is, he's not going to be the same. Nobody. That's not to say he's not going to come back and make a play after."

Brady, in remarks to reporters on Wednesday, said he wasn't rattled by the Jets' tough talk and that in the end, "talk is cheap."

"I think we follow the lead of our head coach," Brady said. "I think because we feel a certain way, we don't necessarily need to tell everybody about it. I mean, we're confident. We have as much confidence as most teams in the league.

"No matter what you say on a Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, it doesn't matter much. I think our execution is what's most important and that's what we choose to focus on."

345lurs.gif

Back
Top Bottom