OFFICIAL 2009 BOSTON RED SOX SEASON THREAD - (95-67) - Red Sox vs Angels - ALDS - Series 0-0

Lester looking real good. Throwing some gas.

Green is horrible today. Horrible baserunning.
sick.gif

yeah lester really needs to get back on track for us to stay in the race this year. yesterday was nice. good to see the bats come around a bit too.

Damn I typed a long response and then I wasnt logged in FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. But anyways We need to do something with Ortiz, either get out of the slump orpick up a bat before the deadline.

Only 1 game back and the Yankees are playing out of their minds right now and we arent playing all that great. They cant keep this pace up for the rest of theseason. But once again its looking like Sox/Yanks ALCS [Marv Albert]YESSSSSSSSSSSSS[Marv Albert]. But theres a lot of baseball left so we'll see.

yeah we need a sox-yanks ALCS...it's been a while. if it happens this year, i'll be living in NY so it'll be interesting
laugh.gif

O boy that should be an experience. Me and a bunch of my people thinkin about gettin tickets to a Sox/Yanks game at Yankee stadium and Im thinkin bout goinSoxed out but well see how I feel about that when we actually go.

LOL. But no lie my mother got the limited edition Red Sox Volvo that came out last year. They made only one for every win in the 2007 regular season in honorof the Championship. And yes the one she got is certified as a win against the Yankees. It was either that one or one against the A's and that just wasntas good as one dedicated to a win against the Yankees.

man my freakin friend IM's me..."oh btw dude, beckett has a no hitter going...". literally 30 seconds later, single to right. i was like youmoron, never mention it while it's in process!
laugh.gif

good to win tho and tie things up atop the AL East

man this dude youk and his anger management issues...wife beater for sure, word to wilfredo cordero
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Lol where that come from? Is there somethin on ESPN right now?
laugh.gif
yeah i saw him flip out after getting stepped on. no wonder manny *$%%* slapped him

Julio Lugo again proves a pitcher's worst friend

B
rad Penny's pitching line - 5 innings, five earned runs - doesn't begin to tell the story of last night's 5-1 loss to the Texas Rangers.

This wasn't Penny's best start of the season, but it wasn't as bad as it seemed, either. Every one of the runs could, indirectly, just as easily have been charged to shortstop Julio Lugo [stats].

In a scoreless game in the fifth with two on and two out, Penny got Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus to hit a grounder to short. Looking like he was running in hip-deep water, Lugo seemingly took forever to get to the ball, only to have it get by him and onto the outfield grass for a run-scoring single.

An incredulous Penny, bent over at the waist on the mound, couldn't hide his frustration, though in his postgame interview later, he covered for his infielder far better than Lugo had covered him.

"That wasn't a great pitch," Penny said. "You don't want to be in a 3-and-2 count, where they start the runners. You can't get in that situation; it just kills you as a starting pitcher."

It was a valiant effort by Penny to try to protect his teammate. But how could the right-hander have been upset at himself for inducing a grounder that should have been fielded by his infielder?

Penny then compounded things by falling behind Ian Kinsler before leaving a pitch out of over the middle of the plate that the Rangers second baseman lined into the Monster seats for a 4-0 lead. With any justice - or with a shortstop with more range - Penny could have been out of the inning without any runs scoring.

It was more of the same in the sixth.

With two outs, Marlon Byrd hit a grounder to the left side of the second base bag. Again, Lugo threw himself on it awkwardly and again, the ball got through the infield.

Once more, Penny failed to make the necessary pitches afterward, yielding a run-scoring double to Chris Davis. But he would have been out of the inning had Lugo made the play on Byrd's grounder in the first place.

Sox manager Terry Francona, ever the diplomat, was asked if he thought Lugo had a shot at the balls hit on the ground.

"Did I think he had a shot?" Francona asked. "Yeah, I think every ball that's hit, we have a shot. But I think that's how we think."

Francona would be wise to lower his expectations with Lugo in the lineup. The next base hit Lugo takes away will be the first. Seldom has an infielder thrown himself on the ground more and come up with fewer plays.

As the Red Sox [team stats] start crossing the days off their office calendar in anticipation of Jed Lowrie's return in July, expect to see less and less of Lugo. Nick Green, who played well in the last two road series, may not be a great defender, but he has more range and is more sure-handed.

If the Sox are to resist the urge to acquire a more dependable shortstop for the next month, the best approach would be to give Green the majority of playing time. Beyond the games that are being lost and the plays that aren't being made, there's the workload and the mental health of the pitching staff to consider.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1177139

Ouch. He's completely right though. Lugo is basically useless.

laugh.gif

good article. pretty much on point. lugo needs to go fast...

big series coming up...2 of 3 would be niiice given the pitching matchups

Big series..... see if the Yanks can actually win a game vs the Red Sox at some point this year
laugh.gif

This should be fun.

The AL East battle between the Red Sox and the Yankees should be awesome.

Lets get 2/3 here.

probable pitching matchups:

A.J. Burnett, RHP (4-2, 4.69) @ Josh Beckett, RHP (6-2, 4.09)

Chien-Ming Wang, RHP (0-3, 14.46) @ Tim Wakefield, RHP (7-3, 4.50)

CC Sabathia, LHP (5-3, 3.56) @ Brad Penny, RHP (5-2, 5.85)

I'm pretty confident in the Sox tonight. I'm picking them in Streak for the Cash.

if beckett can pitch like he's been doing recently, we'll be in good shape. if ortiz can breakout in this series, it'd be nice. perfect time forhim to snap out

Back
Top Bottom