OFFICIAL 2009 BOSTON RED SOX SEASON THREAD - (95-67) - Red Sox vs Angels - ALDS - Series 0-0

Good weekend all around. We are gaining ground almost daily now on the other Wild card teams. And we can put Tampa to bed this week. Like you said great outingby Byrd hopefully he can give us a few more good ones to close out the season and if Wagner can pitch that well everytime out we will be good. The onlythingthat needs to click with the pitching again is Beckett. And I have no doubt he will bounce back.

And Gonzolez was a great late season pick up. Better feilding than anyone we had all season and now hes hitting better than the other guys too. Its not oftenyou can get a guy off waivers that late and he becomes a solid contributor every night. Things are lookin good. Everyone who thought we were dead better watchout. Like I said, in the playoffs everyone starts 0-0.

yeah no doubt man, we just gotta keep at it. beckett needs to bounce back and we're set.

i heard wakefield's back acted up again, so he's a big ? right now. but dice k should be back soon.

Twins score 3 in the bottom of the 8th and beat Texas 5-3 and Detroit Also scored 3 in the bottom of the 8th to comeback and beat the Rays.
Good Day. Good Day.

And I did kinda think Wake was gonna go back down now that we got Byrd. Cuz his motion to field balls was terrible in the game he pitched. He just didnt lookgood coming off the mound for ground balls at all. And Dice K coming back will be a big plus.

dice K today in AA portland: 2 innings, 5 runs
sick.gif

looks like the doughboy is headed to SF...he'll do well out there i think:

Sources: Penny, Giants near deal
Comment Email Print Share
By Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

Right-hander Brad Penny cleared waivers Monday and will sign with the San Francisco Giants, sources said.

lastname
Penny

Penny, 31, is 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA this season, and 101-83 in his career. He will make a prorated minimum salary with the Giants, and is expected to join theirrotation, effectively replacing Joe Martinez.

By signing with the Giants, Penny is set up to pitch against the Dodgers, his former team. The teams are next scheduled to meet for a three-game seriesstarting Sept. 11.

Penny left the team amid bad feelings on both sides at the end of last season.

three @ the trop...

Jon Lester, LHP (10-7, 3.60) @ Andy Sonnanstine, RHP (6-7, 6.61)
Josh Beckett, RHP (14-5, 3.80) @ Matt Garza, RHP (7-9, 3.95)
Clay Buchholz, RHP (3-3, 4.38) @ David Price, LHP (7-6, 4.63)

i actually like how these pitching matchups line up for this one. assuming beckett gets back on track, we SHOULD be able to grab 2 of 3, if not all of em

Originally Posted by WickedNikes

btw...jon papelbon tonight
pimp.gif

props.jpg
laugh.gif

Massive props indeed. He came through big last night. I cant deny that even with how shaky he has been he still gets the job done. Hes only blown 3 saves. Butthat 8th inning was something else. I had to kick my father out of the room. Because I couldnt handle all the "OOO #@+% HERE COME THE RAYS" aftereverytime their bats contacted the ball, even on foul balls. I just had to be like go watch this in another room...........seriously.

[h3]Dice-K, Lowrie eyeing imminent returns[/h3]Right-hander, infielder could be back for Boston next week [img]http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2009/09/01/mlbf_6266367_th_13.jpg[/img]

[img]http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/media/play_btn.png[/img]

Red Sox Report: Lowrie profile

Duration: 00:05:09

The story of Boston Red Sox infielder Jed Lowrie's baseball journey from the Pacific Northwest to the Atlantic Northeast

[h5]Video Tags[/h5]Boston Red Sox, , Red Sox Report

[h5]Related Video[/h5]

• Papelbon gets out of a jam

• Ellsbury's RBI triple

• Ellsbury's sliding grab

• Youkilis' solo shot

By�Ian Browne�/�MLB.com

09/01/09 7:37 PM ET

ST. PETERSBURG -- While the Red Sox have most of their pieces in place for the stretch run, shortstop Jed Lowrie and right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka are still sharpening up and fine-tuning in Minor League rehab assignments.

Matsuzaka is in great shape physically, but still has some work to do from a pitching standpoint, as evidenced when he gave up five runs in a 49-pitch first inning of a Double-A start on Sunday.

"The first inning wasn't too good," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "The second inning was actually really good, which was nice, but the first inning was kind of a fiasco. The good news is he feels real healthy."

Dice-K threw a side session at Class A Lowell on Tuesday and with the Minor League season coming to an end, will make what is expected to be his final rehab start on Friday at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Matsuzaka could make his first start back with the Red Sox on Sept. 9 against the Orioles.

Francona wasn't too concerned about Sunday's rocky outing.

"He said he was trying some things. [Maybe he should] try something different," quipped Francona. "Again, it worked in the second inning, but he only had one inning
and we weren't comfortable letting him go out any more. Hopefully, he'll have a good side and he'll pitch better the next time out. That's some of the reason for having him face better competition as opposed to Gulf Coast. If you're making some mistakes, you'll pay for it a little bit."

Then there is Lowrie, who has never gotten into any kind of rhythm thanks to left wrist woes.

At the moment, Lowrie, who had surgery in April, is climbing both mental and physical hurdles. He is expected to play at Pawtucket until the International League season comes to an end on Sept. 7.

"When he check swung a couple of times, he's felt kind of like a little bit of a zinger I guess is the best way to put it," said Francona. "And then he has some numbness. That's why we sent him out originally to the doctor ... it's all been kind of to reassure him that this is going to happen, or it can happen, and he's not going to hurt himself.

"It's hard though, he's swinging the bat. If you know you're going to check swing and you're going to go numb ... there's some hurdles physically and mentally and he's just not over them yet. It's kind of obvious when he swings the bat, he's got some bat speed and everything. He certainly doesn't have the strength that he'll have after a good winter just because he hasn't been able to do a lot of things."

The urgency for the Red Sox to get Lowrie back lessened a bit after the club acquired Alex Gonzalez in a trade with the Reds on Aug. 14.

Who Beckett? Hell the way hes been going and since we are playing Tampa I think it should be around 5. But im hoping he gets it together and stops pitchinglike the guy in your avy (who coincidentally likes to blast guys in the face with a white substance)

Hey, it's better than Beckett who's been getting blasted on from every direction for the last month or so.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Hey, it's better than Beckett who's been getting blasted on from every direction for the last month or so.
laugh.gif

True. But its just as bad as AJs last couple starts where all hes doing is taking up the ...................

Nevermind I dont like where this is going. But nah im sure both of them will get it together. Even though im really hoping only Beckett does.

4 bad outings in a row for Beckett.
sick.gif

We need another gem from Buchholz tonight.

Back
Top Bottom