OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Damn 562, that's wack

the Times had a good article about the McCourts.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Couple who run the Dodgers separate[/h1] [h2]Frank McCourt is owner and wife Jamie is chief executive. The rift raises questions about team's future.[/h2]

[table][tr][td]
49861112.jpg

Jamie and Frank McCourt, who bought the Dodgers in 2004, confirmed their separation in a statement released by the Dodgers on Wednesday night. (Los Angeles Times)
[/td] [/tr][/table]

By Helene Elliott and Bill Shaikin
October 15, 2009 | 1:58 a.m.

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and his wife Jamie, the team's chief executive, have separated, raising questions about the potential effect of their rift on the ownership of the franchise as the Dodgers prepare to start the National League Championship Series against the Philadelphia Phillies today at Dodger Stadium.

"This is a personal matter and they request that their privacy be respected. They will be making no public statements," they said in a release issued by the club late Wednesday.

The timing of the announcement could become a distraction as the Dodgers -- after winning their first back-to-back division championships in 31 years -- take on the defending World Series champion Phillies.

The announcement explained the long-visible tension between the McCourts, who formally closed the purchase of the Dodgers from News Corp. in January 2004 for about $430 million. They were not seen together often this season and sat in separate rows of the owner's box last week during the team's division series sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals.

The statement did not say whether there would be a divorce between Boston-born Frank McCourt and Baltimore-raised Jamie McCourt, who met at Georgetown University, married in 1979 and have four adult sons. A divorce between San Diego Padres owner John Moores and his wife, Becky, led Moores to sell that franchise earlier this year as part of dividing their assets.

Marshall Grossman, the attorney for Frank McCourt, said the couple has not filed for divorce. Grossman also said Frank McCourt is the sole owner of the franchise and is registered as such with Major League Baseball.

"Frank McCourt is the owner of the team. He has always been the owner of the team," Grossman said. "There should be no change at all with respect to anything the public is used to."

Grossman said Jamie McCourt remained the Dodgers' chief executive officer for now but could not say whether that would continue.

"That is up to the Dodgers organization," Grossman said.

The attorney representing Jamie McCourt, Dennis Wasser, could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday night.

She is the highest-ranking female executive in Major League Baseball.

Grossman said there was "not a chance" that the team would be put up for sale. "Speculation about a potential sale of the team is rubbish. Frank McCourt is the sole owner. He has absolutely no intention of selling this team now or ever."

He did not expect a legal battle over the team.

"This is not going to be another San Diego-like debacle," Grossman said, referring to Moores' sale of the Padres.

Ron Rale, a partner at Trope & Trope, a family law firm that handles many high-profile divorces for wealthy Angelenos, said the effect of the McCourts' split on the ownership of the team will likely turn on whether the couple signed a prenup or a similar document.

Such an arrangement could spell out a precise distribution of the marital property, Rale said, but without one, the determination could fall to a judge.

"There's a lot of public interest in the Dodgers, obviously. It's our baseball team, but the rules don't really change. Under California law, courts have a duty to effectuate a 50-50 division of the net community estate," Rale said.

He said that the couple could decide to continue as partners in the team, but that would be a rare choice for former spouses.

"Typically, they don't want to be partners in life anymore and they certainly don't want to be partners in business," he said.

Alternatively, one of the McCourts could try to buy the other out.

"And if they don't have the ability to do that, that's when a sale could happen," he said.

Major League Baseball President Bob DuPuy declined to discuss the situation last week, deferring comment to the Dodgers. DuPuy was not immediately available for comment late Wednesday.

Charles Steinberg, the executive vice president hired amid great fanfare two years ago and recently granted permission to seek other employment, was said to be allied with Jamie McCourt and lost influence as she did, according to two sources granted anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation.

In its annual report on baseball's finances, Forbes earlier this year estimated the Dodgers' value at $722 million, behind the New York Yankees ($1.5 billion), the New York Mets ($912 million) and the Boston Red Sox ($833 million).

The Chicago Cubs rank fifth at $700 million, followed by the Angels at $509 million.

The McCourts also purchased four homes in the Los Angeles area, two in Holmby Hills and two in Malibu, although Los Angeles County property records list Jamie McCourt as the sole owner of all four properties.

The Holmby Hills residence, a 20,000-square-foot villa that had been listed at $29 million, was purchased in April 2004.

Six months later an adjacent French country fixer of 8,385 square feet for $6.5 million was purchased, according to Multiple Listing Service records.

In August 2007, the John Launter-designed Segel Residence in Malibu was bought for $27,250,272 from actors Courteney Cox and David Arquette, and a beachfront bungalow next door in early 2008 for $18,975,000.

The fallout of their separation and uncertainty over the future could immediately affect General Manager Ned Colletti, who has yet to finalize a long-term contract extension.

Without one, he could return for the option year provided in his current contract, with no assurances beyond then and an unsettled ownership situation.

Months after the McCourts assumed ownership of the team, they danced together on the field after the Dodgers clinched the 2004 National League West championship. When the Dodgers hired Joe Torre as manager two years ago, the couple walked arm-in-arm from the dugout to the news conference.

When the Dodgers clinched the NL West this year, Frank McCourt joined the clubhouse celebration but Jamie was nowhere to be seen near him.

Frank McCourt is designated as the franchise "control person" with MLB. It is uncertain whether Jamie McCourt would agree to a settlement that would result in her leaving the club.

It also is uncertain whether either one is seeking financial partners in an effort to buy out the other.

Neither party had started seeking outside backers as of late last week, said a prominent sports investment banker, speaking on condition of anonymity because he has worked for the McCourts.

One highly placed baseball source, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation, said major league officials do not believe either spouse could afford to buy out the other and still maintain a financial reserve sufficient to run the club without taking on financial partners.

If the McCourts cannot resolve the issue, they could sell the club and split the proceeds.

After Becky Moores filed for divorce last year, the Padres slashed their payroll for this season.

The team was sold to former Arizona Diamondbacks chief executive Jeff Moorad, who imported his own club president from the team and fired 13 front-office employees in July.

The Dodgers' uncertainties could extend beyond Colletti to the rest of the baseball operations staff. His assistants are believed to be working under contracts that expire Dec. 31.

Executives on other clubs generally work under contracts that expire in October, so any vacancies elsewhere might be filled by the time the Dodgers resolve their ownership situation.

Manager Joe Torre is under contract for next season. It is uncertain whether all of his coaches would be guaranteed to return.

From a player personnel standpoint, the Dodgers could weather an uncertain winter with minimal disruption.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Times staff writers Robert J. Lopez, Lauren Beale and Harriet Ryan contributed to this report.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Jamie McCourt plans to stick with the Dodgers[/h1]
By Ramona Shelburne, Staff Writer

Updated: 10/15/2009 02:41:26 PM PDT

Los Angeles Dodgers chief executive Jamie McCourt poses for a photo in Herzeliya, near Tel Aviv, Israel, Monday, July 13, 2009. McCourt, in Israel for the 18th Maccabiah Games, said Monday that Dodgers star slugger Manny Ramirez has "paid the penalty" for his steroid use and it was not for her to judge his actions. (The Associated Press)

Golfer Tiger Woods stands with owner (R) Frank McCourt of the Los Angeles Dodgers and wife Jamie McCourt who is the vice chairman and president of the Dodgers as they take on the Philadelphia Phillies in Game Three of the National League Championship Series during the 2008 MLB playoffs on October 12, 2008 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
The lawyer for Dodgers' chief executive officer Jamie McCourt said Thursday that his client has no plans of surrendering her ownership involvement with the Dodgers or her position with the club.
Jamie McCourt, who confirmed her separation from Dodgers owner Frank McCourt on Wednesday, is the highest ranking woman in Major League Baseball.

Her lawyer, Dennis M. Wasser, said that his client had chosen to publicly respond because Frank McCourt's lawyer, Marshall Grossman, had made public statements about the situation late Wednesday night.

"We are disappointed that Mr. McCourt's attorney has chosen to express legal positions in the press, in violation of the parties' specific agreement not to make any public statements about this private matter," Wasser said.

"Jamie McCourt had desired to just focus on the Dodgers' success in postseason play. However Jamie and her attorneys now feel she must briefly respond."

Wasser said that he disagreed with Grossman's statement that Frank McCourt is the sole owner of the Dodgers and that, "We are confident that if the ownership issue must be adjudicated, the Dodgers will be determined to be community property owned 50 percent by each of the McCourts." That determination would be at the heart of any dispute of community property, should the couple divorce.

California law holds that a divorce asset be divided 50-50 between the two parties, which is problematic with a Major League Baseball franchise that must, by league rule, have only one controlling owner.

A similar situation led to the sale of the San Diego Padres in February, when owner John Moores sold the team as part of a divorce settlement with his wife Becky.

This is gonna get ugly

I have a hunch that they're gonna "reconcile" and keep %%%$+@* other people for a while.

The Dodgers are making a lot of money, and with the stadium renovations they could make a lot more in the near future.

It's clear that neither party wants to give up their half, but neither party has the money to buy the other out. Sounds like some counseling could be a inorder
laugh.gif

Say what you want about the McCourts, but they're committed to Dodger Stadium. Who knows how a new owner would feel about renovating a 50 year old stadium.

love that hat, but have no idea what my hat size is right now... i just got my first high fade..haha

ruff game tonight.. i was so worn out after it emotionally.. great game by everyone...execpt sherrill. 2 walks and a homer? really?

bummed.

Sorry to hear that BN. Its been crazy here in Rancho too. There been robbery's and home invasions. I been wondering why the ghetto bird been flying aroundover the summer. This recession . . .

Hey, does anybody know,
whats the design of parking lot when you look at he stadium from overhead? There's the stadium and then you see the trees in a line, like if the stadiumwas growing hair?
Whats is it suppose to look like or if they are trying to design it a certain way? I might have missed the renovation pics.

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts[/h1]
[h1]Dodger Thoughts[/h1] [h2]Jon Weisman's outlet for dealing psychologically with the Los Angeles Dodgers and baseball[/h2]

« Previous Post | Dodger Thoughts Home | Next Post »

October 16, 2009
[h1]Will Ohman becomes a free agent[/h1]
October 16, 2009 | 8:35 pm

An actual real-life transaction sneaked into the Dodger playoff whirlwind. Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers paid $200,000 to decline Will Ohman's $2.2 million option for 2010, making him a free agent.

Ohman was troubled almost the entire season by injuries that might have been a result of his rushed Spring Training.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

I have a hunch that they're gonna "reconcile" and keep %%%$+@* other people for a while.

The Dodgers are making a lot of money, and with the stadium renovations they could make a lot more in the near future.

It's clear that neither party wants to give up their half, but neither party has the money to buy the other out. Sounds like some counseling could be a in order
laugh.gif

Say what you want about the McCourts, but they're committed to Dodger Stadium. Who knows how a new owner would feel about renovating a 50 year old stadium.

Nah, I think things are bout to get ugly.

If the reason why they are separating ever comes to light, lets say someone had an affair or something of that nature things bout to get real sour
sick.gif

If TMZ gets wind of the story, there's no way they'll be able to be screwing/dating other people while they're still "happilyreconciled/married." Those mofos are EVERYWHERE!

The Dodgers are worth close to $800 million. When they finish the stadium renovations by 2012, the franchise will be worth closer to a Bil.

Considering neither has the money to buy the other out, and if they split it they'll have to sell it and they'll both be !!$@@+.

I know it'll get ugly, but they have more incentives to keep it together than most would.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

PS- Sorry Brox, I don't got your back no more,
smh.gif
. There is nothing I can say to defend this dude anymore.
Just cause, I've been sayin'

pimp.gif

It doesn't look good guys, we might have to get an off-season thread up soon.

Randy Wolf kept us in the game no matter how bad the umps calls were - we still had the lead.

A lot of weird blunders all around from Joe, but Dodgers had the game where they wanted in the 9th inning.

Like I been sayin' Broxton is easily rattled, the whole world saw it today, something I been saying for a couple years now.

Matt Stairs just did a number on Broxton without having to swing the bat, that was the most embarrassing part.

It's sad that the season is going to end the way it is going to end.

Hopefully this shows Colletti to be more aggressive when it comes to getting a front of the line Pitcher. We could've easily matched the offer thePhillies gave the Indians for Lee. Unfortunately, Ned &Co. were going to wait until the deadline and wait for a team to get desperate. When the Philliespounced on Lee a few days before the deadline it caught everyone by surprise. The pressure was on to get Halladay, but that never materialized since JPRicciardi was never really serious about trading him, and it deservingly cost him his job.

I received numerous texts last night about "Lee should've been in an LA uniform"
smh.gif

Is Sherrill the Closer next year? He did give away Game 1.

Is Broxton the Closer? He gave away Game 4.

I hate to talk like the off season is here, but I have a sinking feeling that it is.

The Broxton comment, well, I'm not going to bash him either. I just can't defend him anymore. I know why Dodger fans don't like him. Hisnumbers say otherwise. This was his opportunity for redemption and he failed. Same game (Game 4 of the NLCS) and same team (Phillies) and he blew a crucialsave on the biggest stage we have been in.....TWICE.

it was a fun season guys, even if we win game 5 .. i just dont see us beating cliff lee in game 6 ..
hopefully manny stays and frank picks up a true number 1 pitcher in the offseason.

Dodgers can only imagine where they would be with Lee Oct. 19, 2009

By Danny Knobler
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Danny your opinion

[font=Arial, Helvetica]PHILADELPHIA -- Pennants can turn on big home runs, big errors, big calls by umpires and managers (Hiroki Kuroda? Really?), and any number of other things that so fascinate us in the cool of October.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But pennants also turn on what fascinates us in the heat of July.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Cliff Lee fascinated us then, when he was the ace starter the Phillies traded for -- and also one of the many ace starters the Dodgers didn't trade for. Cliff Lee also fascinates us now, when he might be the single biggest reason the Phillies are two victories away from a repeat trip to the World Series -- and one of the biggest reasons the Dodgers are two losses away from their 21st consecutive year without a World Series.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]It's not just that Lee was great again Sunday night, with eight scoreless innings in the Phils' 11-0 Game 3 victory against the Dodgers. It's not just that Lee is playing the part Cole Hamels did for the Phillies last year -- only playing it better through three starts so far (0.74 ERA).
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]It's that when the Phillies got Lee from the Indians on July 29, the Dodgers were trying to get him, too. And if there were a team that needed a pitcher like Lee more than the Phillies did, it was the Dodgers.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"And that's why we tried," general manager Ned Colletti said.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]The way Colletti tells it, the Dodgers tried very hard. Colletti didn't come right out and say he thought the Dodgers had offered more for Lee than the Phillies did, but he was willing to say they offered a lot.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"We offered four guys," he said. "We were choking on the third guy, and we went to the fourth [too]."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I can't tell you if the Dodgers' offer was better. I can tell you if there's one thing that would drastically change how we look at this National League Championship Series, it would be a rewrite of history that puts Lee in Dodgers blue instead of Phillies red.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Imagine the Phillies without Lee.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"Ruben's pretty smart," Phils shortstop Jimmy Rollins said, referring to GM Ruben Amaro. "He'd have found somebody else."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Fine, but imagine Lee on the Dodgers' side of this NLCS.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"That side?" Rollins asked. "We just would have had to beat him."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Well, there is that. As tough and as confident as this Phillies team is, maybe it finds a way to win, anywa

[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]Maybe Ryan Howard, who is already dominating this NLCS the way he dominated the Phillies' first-round victory against the Rockies, triples off Lee the way he tripled off Kuroda in the first inning Sunday. Maybe Jayson Werth still hits his first-inning home run, and maybe Lee is the one exiting in the second inning with the Phillies on the way to an early 6-0 lead.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Maybe, but don't you think the Dodgers would take their chances with Lee on their side?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]I'll guarantee one thing: If Lee is starting for the Dodgers, you wouldn't hear them talking about him the way they talked about Kuroda before Game 3 on Sunday.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"No idea," one Dodgers person after another answered when asked how Kuroda would do. "No idea."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]One game doesn't make a series, and even with the loss to Lee, the Dodgers trail this NLCS only two games to one. They could still make it into a long series, maybe even a seven-game series, which would give them another chance to see Lee up close -- in a Game 6 or 7 this weekend.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]But those of us who like to look ahead can already start to wonder what Game 1 of the World Series will be like if it matches Lee with CC Sabathia, his one-time teammate with the Indians.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Meanwhile, those of you who care about the Dodgers can start to wonder what will happen next to that team's starting rotation.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Think of what has happened already.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Their Game 2 starter in last year's playoffs (Chad Billingsley) is now a mop-up man, called on Sunday when it was already 6-0. Their Game 1 starter in this year's playoffs (Randy Wolf) became the Game 4 starter in this series.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Their Game 1 starter in this series (Clayton Kershaw) is a 21-year-old kid so talented that scouts sometimes compare him to Sandy Koufax, but still so erratic that one of those scouts also compared him to Tommy Lasorda -- and not for his future as a manager.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"That's the thing," the scout said. "You don't know if he's going to be Koufax, or Lasorda."
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And then there's Kuroda, who couldn't pitch in the first round because of a bulging disk in his neck. Manager Joe Torre and pitching coach Rick Honeycutt flew in to watch Kuroda in an Arizona Fall League game last Tuesday, then declared him fit enough to face the Phillies.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]He didn't need to be that fit, since Torre could stand to watch him for only 39 miserable pitches.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"He just came into the game, and the ball didn't behave," Torre said, insisting there was no reason to second-guess the decision to start Kuroda.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]And what did Torre think of Lee?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"What I always think of Cliff Lee," he said. "He's pretty special."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]He has been special for the Phillies, from the day they got him from the Indians to Sunday night, when he and the Phillies hitters helped send Torre's Dodgers to the franchise's worst postseason defeat since Game 1 of the 1959 World Series.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"A loss is a loss," catcher Russell Martin said. "It's not like we're heartbroken or anything."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]No reason to be heartbroken Sunday night. If the Dodgers had their hearts broken over Cliff Lee, it was back in July, when they wanted him so badly and couldn't get him.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]"Cliff Lee was great tonight," Colletti said. "But Cliff Lee wasn't the only reason we lost this game."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]No, but if the Dodgers lose two more games and lose the National League pennant, you have to believe they'll be wondering if Cliff Lee is a big part of the reason why.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]For more from Danny Knobler, check him out on Twitter: @DKnobler[/font]

& you're right Ironman, Dodgers showed no matter how good their pitching staff as whole has been throughout the regular season.

When crunch time comes and the post-season only comes down to 3-4 solid arms, you need an ace at the top that your team can follow.

I hope Padilla, Wolf and Garland (50/50 on it) come back.

I wish Billingsley would stay away from any "frozen rocks" during his down time, Kuroda is getting older
embarassed.gif
, and Kershaw would be another year seasoned.

If there's something we can look forward to its that bum Schmidts contract coming off the books ... I know it'll be a high risk move, but depending onthe contract Brandon Webb would be available and is very familiar with the NL West ... but I don't want a Schmidt Vol. 2.

I know guys like Harden, Marquis and such are available as well ... FA should be a year for pitchers.

Sorry for the little off-season talk, if there's a game I believe we can win ... its with Cartel Curl on the mound on Wednesday
pimp.gif

Kuo has more of a closer's mentality than anyone, son is fearless. But you can't rely on his arm for an entire season. He's better off inmiddle relief. If you lose him, oh well.

I'm disappointed but I like the next 2 matchups. We can touch Hamels in that ballpark. We need to get it back to L.A., then go for it. But I didn't think we would beat the Cards, and I didn't think we could beat the Phils. Really tough to win a WS with the staff we have and the slumping bats. We have the worst starting pitching and offense of the 4 teams left. This team still has some magic left though so we'll see.

PUT AWAY THE JACK DANIELS, MEN! NOT YET!

I'm sorry but after tonight, there's no way anyone can stand up or defend Broxton anymore. Broxton is a set-up guy, if that, not a closer. He justdoesn't seem to have closer's mentality, dude was still shook from Matt Stair's bomb last year and walks him in 4 pitches and then hits the nextbatter. No more excuses for Broxton, it's 2 years in a row now in the post-season that he just simply blew it. I haven't lost faith in the team as awhole, but I definitely have no faith in Brox anymore. Even if he does get another chance this post-season, his confidence is shot and I don't expect muchfrom him anymore.
smh.gif

im sure when it came down to it, mccourt realized he couldnt sell cliff lee dreadlocks and decided not to trade for him.

lets be real here, this team missed out on a number of players this year. im guessing its not colletti's fault.

Back
Top Bottom