***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

Both pitchers threw great games. Forget about these losses. But..

Gregg needs to be optioned to wherever.

The Central looks serious right now.

Pirates surprising everybody.....Cards doing pretty good.....Cubs and their high expectations.....Reds putting in a little work themselves.

Only 2 teams not doing much are the Astros and the Loosers.

Lets see if this keeps up tho

Q3qmP9kr.jpg

Pineiro, Cards cruise past Mets

Righty retires 13 straight at one point in eight-inning effort

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- A man, a plan and a ballpark all came together on Wednesday night, and it was a beautiful thing.

Joel Pineiro, a recent convert to the classic Dave Duncan strategy of pounding the strike zone with sinking fastballs, took that philosophy to its logical extreme. With help from a fine defensive effort and a forgiving stadium, Pineiro pitched eight-plus innings of effective, efficient ball in a 5-2 Cardinals win over the Mets. Pineiro didn't strike out a single batter, but he didn't need to. Instead, he collected 16 groundouts en route to his third win in as many starts in 2009.

Last season, Pineiro didn't pick up his third win until July 8. But last season, Pineiro wasn't living and dying with the sinker. He's committed to it, and thus far it's working splendidly.

"I'm going to trust it all year," Pineiro said. "It's going to be the pitch that I go to every time in situations where I need a double play. I'm going to pitch to contact every time. The first three to four pitches, if you get them to put the ball in play, your pitch count is going to be low. So I'll keep on riding that as long as I can."

Pineiro needed 91 pitches to get 24 outs despite facing one of the National League's most dangerous and patient lineups. He didn't overwhelm the Mets. He just frustrated them.

"He worked both sides of the plate and threw a lot of strikes," said David Wright, who may have hit the two hardest balls of the night against Pineiro. "He kept his pitch count down. We couldn't afford to get deep in the count because he was throwing so many strikes and getting ahead of us. He made some good pitches."

Meanwhile, the Cardinals jumped on Mets starter John Maine early, scoring on Albert Pujols' sacrifice fly in the first inning. New York tied the game in the third, but the Cards took the lead for good on a Pujols RBI single in the bottom of that same inning. Chris Duncan, Joe Thurston and Skip Schumaker also drove in runs for St. Louis, which has scored at least five runs in each of its past seven games.

Pineiro had to work in the first few innings, but cruised as the game went on. He retired 13 straight batters from the fourth to the eighth inning. Pineiro improved to 8-2 with a 3.61 ERA in 16 career appearances at the current Busch Stadium.

"The more you're out there after the third, fourth inning, everything starts feeling more comfortable," he said. "[Catcher Yadier Molina] just kept setting corners and [calling] that sinker where I wanted. He called a good game. I didn't shake him off once."

Pineiro even contributed with the bat. He walked and scored a run in the third inning and singled in the sixth.

But that was secondary to his contributions on the mound. Pineiro has followed a fine spring with two very good starts sandwiching one so-so outing, and that's a much-improved rate compared to 2008. On the year, he's posting career bests in groundout-flyout ratio, as well as pitches per inning. If he's able to keep those numbers going, he will have a very good year.

"He did a good job throwing strikes, keeping the ball down and getting a lot of groundballs," Molina said. "If he does that every time, he's going to be OK. I think he's keeping the ball down better."

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last season Pinero was a pretty much guarantee loss everytime he took the mound, this season has started quite differently. I still am suspectabout this guy, but it would appera that he has finally found his groove with the ball club and is making wiser decisions on the mound. Now can anyone tell mewhat the hell Ludwick is eating for breakfast? This guy has been a monster and with a questionable offense, he is a breathe of fresh air. My older cousin OLDSCHOOL is one of the biggest Mets fans I know, when our clubs face off no words are spoken by him
laugh.gif

Oh I almost forgot, how great is it to see the brewers in the cellar?
laugh.gif

01f15e467760bdf89ffd6bc08881b0143a0fbc6.x-png

Yea, ludwick has been doing really good this year.....But he isnt the only one.

Thursten came out of nowhere and his defense is actually top tier so far this season.

Molina is hitting really good and playing great defense as usual.

Ankiel is really up and down right now, seems like a very streaky player, much like glaus.

Pujols.......Not hitting much, but is still getting on base and getting RBI`s when he does get a hit.

Khalil Green is doing pretty good also.....looks alot better than the last few SS we`ve had in stl in awhile.

I can keep going for awhile............All in all...........We look like a playoff team thus far even with Carp being hurt.............which will hopefully beok ( once again )

I feel that the pirates will loose that edge they have right now, teams will start figuring them out and they will start to sink. I believe the Cubs will beout only competition this year in the central at the end of the season.

I agree with about everything you said pacmagic2002. I really like Rasmus in the lineup. He gets on base alot and has a ton of speed. I think we have a verybalanced lineup this year. Also the pitching is pretty good. Haven't really liked how Wellemeyer has looked so far but then again he has only pitched twicei think.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

How did Cueto throw 108 pitches in 7 innings when he only gave up 4 hits, only struck out three and walked zero?

That is our lineup. One of my favorite things about these guys.

Gone are the days of at bats lasting 3 total pitches. Or innings of 10 pitches.

Sori the only free swinger we got, the rest battle like hell for every pitch. In the long run, that should help us out. I say, should.

Bradley.........I'm lookin right at you right now man. 1 - 23.
tired.gif

It's good to see another Cardinals fan staying regular in here besides pacmagic & myself. Welcome aboard allenp24, hopefully you become a regular for many seasons to come. You need a Cardinals avatar my man
pimp.gif

CP1708 wrote:

Sori the only free swinger we got, the rest battle like hell for every pitch. In the long run, that should help us out. I say, should.

Bradley.........I'm lookin right at you right now man. 1 - 23.
tired.gif

Well, when Derrek Lee gets in his funks he tends to wave at anything. The fat Aramis used to chase junk, but our skinny Aramis has been prettypatient the past couple of years.

Day by day I grow tired of this fool. He's the only "mistake" Hendry has made in his tenure (I am sure this will open a floodgate of remarks -lol).

Quite the game last night with the cat on the field and the ball snagged in Bartman territory in the same inning. Today its a gorgeous day in Chicago - probwill be 65 by game time.

Go Cubs!

sweeeeeeppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd sweep of the season....even tho they almost came back.

Albert "beast" Pujols
3-3....2 dingers and 1 BB
smokin.gif

The REAL 08 ROY has shown up in this series
pimp.gif

And this one belongs to the Reds! 7-3 road trip
pimp.gif

2c635fd2497d7b0065f4bf72f650e91d5e1fcb5.gif
tsiwgfFU.jpg
[h3]Pujols unloads to lead Cards to sweep[/h3]
Slugger contributes pair of blasts in matinee blowout of Mets

04/23/09 4:42 PM ET

Box >

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols homered twice to lead an offensive onslaught as the Cardinals throttled the Mets, 12-8, on Thursday to complete a three-game series sweep. St. Louis has won seven successive home games.

Pujols hit a solo homer in the first inning to get the Cardinals on the board. He singled and stole a base in the fourth, igniting a three-run rally that gave the Cardinals the lead for good. He added a two-run shot in the fifth as the Cardinals turned the game into a blowout.

Rick Ankiel also got in on the fun for the Redbirds. Ankiel laced the RBI double that scored Pujols in the fourth, and he cranked a solo homer, his first of the year, an inning later.

Kyle Lohse pitched five effective -- but somewhat inefficient -- innings for St. Louis. Lohse allowed two runs, one earned, on eight hits. Defense was about the only blemish on the day for the Cards, as they committed two errors.

The Cardinals improved to 11-5 on the year, equaling their best 16-game start under Tony La Russa. The last time the Cards had a better start to the season was 1982, when they opened 13-3.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Now that's how you do it
pimp.gif
, Pujols was straightbeastin'
eek.gif

We need all the wins we can get since we probably will get swept by the cubs
smh.gif

damn....i wonder how the cubs will look this weekend.

i already know they will win when wellecrapper pitches....but wainwright and whoever else will be pitching might have a chance

That was a sick catch by Ankiel that ball was trailing away.

Mets have serious issues.

Originally Posted by CP1708

2 outta 3 at home to the Reds.
pimp.gif

THAT is the Harang I remember.
Harang has been OUTSTANDING this year.
pimp.gif

RHP Aaron Harang beat up a Gatorade container and threw a bat in the dugout Saturday in Minute Maid Park after he came out of the game. The frustrations finally are getting to him. He said it was because the first six Houston hits were ground ball singles that found the holes in the infield, but some of it probably had to do with his offensive support -- or the lack of it. Despite a 2.60 ERA, Harang is 1-2 in this three starts because his teammates have scored a total of three runs in his outings. And two came in his win, a 2-0 three-hitter over the Pirates.

Ankiel looks like a damn idiot with that mustache, a true representation of the St. Louis fans, especially the ones on this board.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

2c635fd2497d7b0065f4bf72f650e91d5e1fcb5.gif
tsiwgfFU.jpg
[h3]Pujols unloads to lead Cards to sweep[/h3]
Slugger contributes pair of blasts in matinee blowout of Mets

04/23/09 4:42 PM ET

Box >

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols homered twice to lead an offensive onslaught as the Cardinals throttled the Mets, 12-8, on Thursday to complete a three-game series sweep. St. Louis has won seven successive home games.

Pujols hit a solo homer in the first inning to get the Cardinals on the board. He singled and stole a base in the fourth, igniting a three-run rally that gave the Cardinals the lead for good. He added a two-run shot in the fifth as the Cardinals turned the game into a blowout.

Rick Ankiel also got in on the fun for the Redbirds. Ankiel laced the RBI double that scored Pujols in the fourth, and he cranked a solo homer, his first of the year, an inning later.

Kyle Lohse pitched five effective -- but somewhat inefficient -- innings for St. Louis. Lohse allowed two runs, one earned, on eight hits. Defense was about the only blemish on the day for the Cards, as they committed two errors.

The Cardinals improved to 11-5 on the year, equaling their best 16-game start under Tony La Russa. The last time the Cards had a better start to the season was 1982, when they opened 13-3.

Now that's how you do it
pimp.gif
, Pujols was straight beastin'
eek.gif

We need all the wins we can get since we probably will get swept by the cubs
smh.gif

C`Mon man..........why you gotta say we`re gonna get swept??? lol

I dont think we are gonna get swept, its not like they were blowing us out this last series............all the games ended up being close. We did win onegame....lost 8-7 then lost the lost 7-5 in extra innings on a bad pitch. Its just been a few close games that didnt go our way.

Now we MAY get swept if Wainwright doesnt win the first game because game 2...........we got mitchell boggs starting...........game 3 we got wellecrapper.

Back
Top Bottom