:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

Nowitness41Dirk wrote:
What are the Celtics looking for in exchange for Rondo?
$$$ I bet.

Rondo wants big deal, and KG on the books for a ton of money the next couple years. They are in a bad spot with the age and money on this current roster. They have to be looking for deals that will go away after a year or two, or at worst low dollar serviceable players.

I think the Celtics want depth on the wing and some length at the 4/5. They can grab a PG in free agency, someone like Kidd.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Kings appear to favor Evans over Rubio[/h1] [h2][/h2]
By Sam Amick
[email protected]

Published: Wednesday, Jun. 24, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 6C
Last Modified: Wednesday, Jun. 24, 2009 - 8:55 am

The shovel came flying Paul Westphal's way from the start, with his official hiring as Kings coach June 12 followed by the request to help with the rebuilding project and the reality that the NBA draft was just 13 days away.

And Westphal, who longed to be an NBA coach again after nine years, has enjoyed every minute.

"It hasn't been too hard to fill my days since this hurricane hit," Westphal said by phone with a laugh. "It's a 24-hour-a-day job, but it's been great. I'm really enjoying it. The organization was advertised as being first class, from the Maloofs on down, and I've been really happy with what I've been finding out about the people I'm working with."

As for the next colleague he'll be welcoming? The research continues.

With Thursday's draft drawing near and the Kings' workout schedule having been completed with Ricky Rubio's visit Monday, the deliberating about the team's No. 4 pick continued internally. And while their list of top candidates is believed to include Rubio, Memphis' Tyreke Evans, Syracuse's Jonny Flynn and Davidson's Stephen Curry, it appears Evans is heading the group entering the final days.

Although the 6-foot-7 guard is not the true point guard the Kings had hoped for, his physicality, ability to get to the rim and dynamic scoring ways have enticed the team. He raised his stock in recent workouts, dominating in Minnesota before doing the same in Sacramento. Rubio, meanwhile, may be passed over even if he is available when the Kings' first pick arrives.

"I think we'll get a player that can help us," said Westphal, who has been taking part in the team's workouts. "Beyond that, these guys are so young that you have to hedge everything with, 'If he develops … .' After you do all the research...you can't look into somebody's heart and see how they're going to react when they get some money in their pocket and how they're going to react to being in the spotlight."

But the Kings, of course, won't fully know their options until the Clippers, Memphis and Oklahoma City select before them. And the Grizzlies, specifically, have some deliberating of their own to do before they're on the clock.

After Washington and Minnesota reportedly agreed in principle on a deal netting the Timberwolves the No. 5 pick in addition to their No. 6, league sources said the T-wolves - who also have the No. 18 and No. 28 picks - might look to put together a package for Memphis that could bring them the No. 2 and, ultimately, Rubio. The Grizzlies might not comply and could cloud the picture by selecting Evans, the local star. New York also remains high on Rubio and has had extensive discussions about moving up to get him.

Sacramento, meanwhile, has been Rubio's preference if he didn't join the Clippers. They are set on taking forward Blake Griffin. Memphis boasts talented young guards Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo, and has a history of lukewarm relationships with some of its Spanish players. Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook manned the point well last season.

The Kings were seen as ideal for Rubio in several ways - from the struggles of starter Beno Udrih last season to the California location. Yet the feeling may not be mutual, with Westphal saying that Monday's workout would not sway the decision.

"We wanted to get a feel for just interacting with him, watching him up close," Westphal said. "(But) is there anything that's going to tip the scale as to whether we draft Ricky Rubio or not from that workout? Absolutely not.

"It was nice for us to be able to spend some time with him, and it was impossible to do anything that would either help or hurt himself, really, in one hour of shooting around in the gym."

eyes.gif
@ the Kings if they take Tyreke over Rubio.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Knicks buy #28 from Minnesota.

Minnesota trades Love for the #2 and trades the Knicks #6 and #18 or 28 + David Lee.
pimp.gif

I'll take that. : lol
david lee can't be traded until july, and i believe nate and dlee are signing 1 year deals to the knicks.
the 6th pick is interesting, but no thanks. love+6th pick for maybe jared jefferies and ill bite
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
(maybe you can throw in a little something to makecontracts work as well
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
)

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

[h1]Kings appear to favor Evans over Rubio[/h1]
By Sam Amick
[email protected]

The shovel came flying Paul Westphal's way from the start, with his official hiring as Kings coach June 12 followed by the request to help with the rebuilding project and the reality that the NBA draft was just 13 days away.

And Westphal, who longed to be an NBA coach again after nine years, has enjoyed every minute.

"It hasn't been too hard to fill my days since this hurricane hit," Westphal said by phone with a laugh. "It's a 24-hour-a-day job, but it's been great. I'm really enjoying it. The organization was advertised as being first class, from the Maloofs on down, and I've been really happy with what I've been finding out about the people I'm working with."

With Thursday's draft drawing near and the Kings' workout schedule having been completed with Ricky Rubio's visit Monday, the deliberating about the team's No. 4 pick continued internally. And while their list of top candidates is believed to include Rubio, Memphis' Tyreke Evans, Syracuse's Jonny Flynn and Davidson's Stephen Curry, it appears Evans is heading the group entering the final days.

Although the 6-foot-7 guard is not the true point guard the Kings had hoped for, his physicality, ability to get to the rim and dynamic scoring ways have enticed the team. He raised his stock in recent workouts, dominating in Minnesota before doing the same in Sacramento. Rubio, meanwhile, may be passed over even if he is available when the Kings' first pick arrives.

"I think we'll get a player that can help us," said Westphal, who has been taking part in the team's workouts. "Beyond that, these guys are so young that you have to hedge everything with, 'If he develops … .' After you do all the research...you can't look into somebody's heart and see how they're going to react when they get some money in their pocket and how they're going to react to being in the spotlight."

But the Kings, of course, won't fully know their options until the Clippers, Memphis and Oklahoma City select before them. And the Grizzlies, specifically, have some deliberating of their own to do before they're on the clock.

After Washington and Minnesota reportedly agreed in principle on a deal netting the Timberwolves the No. 5 pick in addition to their No. 6, league sources said the T-wolves - who also have the No. 18 and No. 28 picks - might look to put together a package for Memphis that could bring them the No. 2 and, ultimately, Rubio. The Grizzlies might not comply and could cloud the picture by selecting Evans, the local star. New York also remains high on Rubio and has had extensive discussions about moving up to get him.

Sacramento, meanwhile, has been Rubio's preference if he didn't join the Clippers. They are set on taking forward Blake Griffin. Memphis boasts talented young guards Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo, and has a history of lukewarm relationships with some of its Spanish players. Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook manned the point well last season.

The Kings were seen as ideal for Rubio in several ways - from the struggles of starter Beno Udrih last season to the California location. Yet the feeling may not be mutual, with Westphal saying that Monday's workout would not sway the decision.

"We wanted to get a feel for just interacting with him, watching him up close," Westphal said. "(But) is there anything that's going to tip the scale as to whether we draft Ricky Rubio or not from that workout? Absolutely not.

"It was nice for us to be able to spend some time with him, and it was impossible to do anything that would either help or hurt himself, really, in one hour of shooting around in the gym."
eyes.gif
Does anybody, ANYBODY, really believe that Tyreke Evans can play point guard in the pros?
laugh.gif

hold up rubio is now 6'5!?!? dude might end up bein like 6'8 haha last summer he was 6'3

and rudolph put on 20 lbs and is still grwoing...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Does anybody, ANYBODY, really believe that Tyreke Evans can play point guard in the pros?
laugh.gif

i think he can... the traditional PG days of the NBA are over

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

laugh.gif

Explain.

(He cant play the 1 in the NBA btw)

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif

Explain.

(He cant play the 1 in the NBA btw)
It depends on what system he's in. I don't think he can play PG in a halfcourt offense. He dominants the ball and distributes well enoughto play PG half of the time. I just don't see him being a PURE point though. He did a good job in Memphis running the point because of the type of offensethey ran.

hold up rubio is now 6'5!?!? dude might end up bein like 6'8 haha last summer he was 6'3
I would
roll.gif
if he could even become 6'6 or 6'7 whichis very possible. That's what makes him so scary.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

[h1]Kings appear to favor Evans over Rubio[/h1]
By Sam Amick
[email protected]

eyes.gif
laugh.gif

A lot of people were questioning if Russell Westbrook could run the point in OKC....he had his ups/downs, but the kid's future is as bright (at the 1) asanybody in the league...as far as Evans, he dominated workouts against other PG's in this years draft class. He's got a tremendous upside. The factthat he's a potential nightmare matchup-wise is intriguing. He's got a great shooter at the 2 in Kevin Martin, so there won't be a huge burden onEvans to shoot the lights out from the PG spot. Dude will be able to physically overmatch most PG's currently starting in the NBA in due time. He'sgoing to surprise a lot of people next year. Believe that.

Sacramento could be bluffing in hopes that Minnesota becomes complacent and figures that Sacramento won't take Rubio so Minnesota doesn't have to moveup, then low and behold the Kings snatch Rubio and the T-Wolves are shammed.

Originally Posted by Durden7

laugh.gif

Explain. (He cant play the 1 in the NBA btw)

^^and you know this how?
1. Derrick Rose... is he a true point guard?
2. Russ Westbrook... true point guard?
3. Rondo... true?
dude is a teenager if he is thought the ins and outs of running an offense he can do it
the NBA is a one-on-one league... if you can get past someone and hit a jumper youre good.
after watching that doc "gunnin for the #1 spot" i like Evans(pause) so i may be bias.

He's got a great shooter at the 2 in Kevin Martin, so there won't be a huge burden on Evans to shoot the lights out from the PG spot. Dude will be ableto physically overmatch most PG's currently starting in the NBA in due time. AGREED
HE WILL BE ABLE TO LOOK OVER DEFENSES AND MAKE PASSES IN THE HALF COURT. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A EUROPEAN GUARD THAT WAS ABLE TO DOMINATE OR CONTROL THE BALLFOR MOST OF THE GAME AND REALLY SUCCEED (GINOBILI MAYBE). WE CANNOT UNDERESTIMATE THE FACT THAT THE POINT GUARD IS A VERY PHYSICAL POSITION RUBIO MAY NOT BEABLE TO HANDLE FOR 82 GAMES AT ANY TIME IN HIS CAREER. AT WORST (AT WORST) TYREKE EVANS WILL BE ANOTHER SMUSH PARKER, AT WORST.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

A lot of people were questioning if Russell Westbrook could run the point in OKC....he had his ups/downs, but the kid's future is as bright (at the 1) as anybody in the league...as far as Evans, he dominated workouts against other PG's in this years draft class. He's got a tremendous upside. The fact that he's a potential nightmare matchup-wise is intriguing. He's got a great shooter at the 2 in Kevin Martin, so there won't be a huge burden on Evans to shoot the lights out from the PG spot. Dude will be able to physically overmatch most PG's currently starting in the NBA in due time. He's going to surprise a lot of people next year. Believe that.

Don't get me wrong I wanted the Raps to draft him at 9 but I just don't see him having the court vision creativity to be a full time point guard and Idon't think he is a paticularly good decsion maker, at least with Russel Wesbrook he is going to get to the rim way more than Tyreke will, and is a betterfinisher. I don't see what advantage strength and size gives you at the PG position, I don't think NBA are going to turn there entire ofense inside outto exploit that.

YES...do it sam!!!!!!!!!
i love it..... lee, green, durant, westbrook!!!
Greg (Minneapolis)
Can the Wolves move up for Rubio without giving up both 5
Chad Ford
I don't think they can. They just don't have the assets to do it. What they can try to do, in July, is offer David Lee in a sign-and-trade to theThunder (if they draft Rubio) .. that might be enough to convince the Thunder to let him go. But it's highly unlikely Rubio will be wearing a Knicks hat ondraft night. Sorry

or this
I don't think so. The question is ... can they move up without giving 5 and 6. I think that's possible. A combo of 5, 18 and maybe the willingness totake back a bad contract could sway either Memphis or Oklahoma City ...

laugh.gif
@ that proposed Darko + 2 to NYK for Quentin and the 8 pick.

No way that happens. Why would Memphis trade a big expiring and the 2 to move back 6 slots? Especially considering QRich has a 8M player option next year?

Like I was saying right after the Foye deal went down, I think the most likely scenario is Minny trading 5 + 18 to OKC for 3. I'd be surprised if Memphisdrafted Rubio period. Just way too many reports out there saying they're gonna pass on the dude. I think they're really set on Thabeet, and at 5,they're stuck with a player they don't really need. Harden, one of these PG's, Jordan Hill, etc.

OKC does it because there's no way Sac takes Harden at 4. So they pick up 18 in the process and still get their guy.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

A lot of people were questioning if Russell Westbrook could run the point in OKC....he had his ups/downs, but the kid's future is as bright (at the 1) as anybody in the league...as far as Evans, he dominated workouts against other PG's in this years draft class. He's got a tremendous upside. The fact that he's a potential nightmare matchup-wise is intriguing. He's got a great shooter at the 2 in Kevin Martin, so there won't be a huge burden on Evans to shoot the lights out from the PG spot. Dude will be able to physically overmatch most PG's currently starting in the NBA in due time. He's going to surprise a lot of people next year. Believe that.

Don't get me wrong I wanted the Raps to draft him at 9 but I just don't see him having the court vision creativity to be a full time point guard and I don't think he is a paticularly good decsion maker, at least with Russel Wesbrook he is going to get to the rim way more than Tyreke will, and is a better finisher. I don't see what advantage strength and size gives you at the PG position, I don't think NBA are going to turn there entire ofense inside out to exploit that.

If you have a 6'5" 225 pound PG who can post-up at will, you're going to make an impact. Dudes in the NBA DO NOT LIKE contact...especially from aPG who is backing down a defender. He's physically imposing to the point where I can envision guys at the 1 NOT wanting to d him up. Also, he'sridiculously quick in the open floor. If he's in a 1/2 court set, his first step and length is going to allow him to get to the rack when he wants. HeCOULD turn out to be the best PG taken in round 1 when the dust settles. He's no Reece Gaines...this dude is legit.

laugh.gif
@ that proposed Darko + 2 to NYK for Quentin and the 8 pick.
I thought the deal was Darko for Q-Rich? That's what they've been discussing not 2 + Darko for Q-Rich + 8. That doesn't even makesense.

They've also engaged in advanced discussions with the Knicks that should put former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic in New York by week's end ... unless Memphis winds up needing Milicic's expiring contract in another draft-related trade.

Sources say that the proposed swap would send Milicic to the Knicks for swingman Quentin Richardson and cash. Milicic is scheduled to earn $7.5 million next season in the final year of a three-year deal he received from the Griz in 2007; Richardson has a player option for next season at $8.7 million.
I think you got it mixed up when they said former no.2 pick
laugh.gif

I'm all for the trade because it assures Memphis of depth at the SG/SF position and 3-point shooting. Darko isn't needed with Haddadi.

franchise3, I really want to make a bet that Memphis drafts Rubio, but this draft is so unpredictable I just might lose.
laugh.gif

Anyone listening to Colin Cowherd show on ESPN radio? This dude keeps harping on Rubio, calling him a UFO.
laugh.gif

Says he's gonna be the next Luke Ridnour.

If Darko ends up w. the Knicks, I'm getting a jersey....I became a fan of his after his rant on that ref
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom