:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

• One rumor that won't go away has the Suns and Thunder talking about a draft-day swap that would give Oklahoma City the 14th pick and land the Suns the Thunder's 25th pick and, more importantly for the Suns, the return of their first-round pick in 2010. The Suns traded that pick to the Thunder several years ago as part of the Kurt Thomas trade. The trade is unprotected next year, and with the Suns flirting with rebuilding, they don't want to lose it.
Why would the Thunder do that?
laugh.gif
I'd tell the Suns to kick rocks and keep that sure-fire Lottery pick next year... You're almostguaranteed to get a better player at 14 next year than you are this year...

A lot of people were questioning if Russell Westbrook could run the point in OKC....
evans doesnt have the court vision of RW or the open court speed RW does. Evans is in the same boat as OJ mayo and Dwade you can have them runpoint somes times but there not full time PG. add to the fact evans couldnt guard many PG in the leauge he is to slow

I've already said it, but Randolph will end up being a top 2 player from this class.
no he wont

he whole point is for MEmphis to try and get the most out of any team who wants Rubio. I don't know when NBA teams had to start trading fair and realistic nowindays. This is when the leverage should come in and if they don't use it right they have failed IMO. That's why I just have a gut feeling Memphis just may take Rubio regardless of the situation
this fool still thinking with his homer #+% heart and not with common sense

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

A lot of people were questioning if Russell Westbrook could run the point in OKC....
evans doesnt have the court vision of RW or the open court speed RW does. Evans is in the same boat as OJ mayo and Dwade you can have them run point somes times but there not full time PG. add to the fact evans couldnt guard many PG in the leauge he is to slow

Tyreke Evans is fast, he's just doesn't have elite quickness.

[h2]Top ten T-Willisms[/h2]
admm_tiny.jpg
by Mike Rutherford on Mar 26, 2009 10:52 AM EDT in Basketball
comment.v1599.png
24 comments

The Courier posted some gems on the side of its "Cards now driven by T-Willpower" feature this morning, so I figured now is as good a time as any to count down the top ten moments in T-Will talk.

We'll begin with something prescient at No. 10.

10. On Louisville's midseason winning streak: "I've realized that if we just keep winning games, eventually we'll win the national championship"

9. Explaining how he followed an 0-for-4 first half with an 8-for-16 second half against Massachusetts as a freshman: "Before, I was thinking about the scouting report and how they are a great shot-blocking team, and I was just trying to get the ball up there. But then I was like, 'Terrence,' -- I call myself Terrence; I don't call myself T-Will -- I was like, 'Terrence, you jump too high to be nervous about somebody else.' "

8. On the importance of then-senior David Padgett: "David Padgett is the t-shirt of this team. You wouldn't go outside without your t-shirt on, and we don't go out on the court without David Padgett."

7. Celebrating the return of Juan Palacios and David Padgett from injuries last season: "You go out into a game in which you know you've got Tello and David playing, your swagger's a lot different. You walk different, you talk different, you talk to a girl different. … You know they're going to back you up. They're going to say, 'Yeah, he's a great guy.' "

6. Explaining why he didn't declare for the NBA draft after his junior season: "There are too many sharks in the water in this year's draft. Next year there's a lot of fish and seaweed. Hopefully, I can be one of those sharks next year."

5. Finding the silver lining in a groin strain: "It's a good thing, because I really like massages and now I'm getting massages all the time."

4. On trying to lead newcomers: "Talking to these freshman is like talking to a pond - just because the water moves doesn't mean it's listening."

3. On breaking out of a shooting slump with a big game from beyond the arc: "No I'm not surprised at how I shot today. If it's two in the afternoon and it's dark outside, then I'd be surprised."

2. On how much the team feeds off of David Padgett: "How much do people eat off plates? We feed off him a lot because he's our point-center, our point-forward, our point-shooting guard. He's everything because he rebounds the ball, he passes the ball, he leads us. He could lead us out of the closet, lead us to the ocean. He's just our everything."

1. On coach Rick Pitino's powers of persuasion: "He's the type of man where, if a dog couldn't talk -- which a dog can't talk -- he would make a dog think it can talk. That dog would keep barking for a long time thinking it was talking."

Let's enjoy every second we have left with this kid because they'll never be another Cardinal like him.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2009/3/26/811165/top-ten-t-willisms

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

• One rumor that won't go away has the Suns and Thunder talking about a draft-day swap that would give Oklahoma City the 14th pick and land the Suns the Thunder's 25th pick and, more importantly for the Suns, the return of their first-round pick in 2010. The Suns traded that pick to the Thunder several years ago as part of the Kurt Thomas trade. The trade is unprotected next year, and with the Suns flirting with rebuilding, they don't want to lose it.
Why would the Thunder do that?
laugh.gif
I'd tell the Suns to kick rocks and keep that sure-fire Lottery pick next year... You're almost guaranteed to get a better player at 14 next year than you are this year...
As much as I would like to see what the Thunder can do with another high pick next year, for comedy's sake, it might be good to give it backto the Suns. I'd love to see who they sell next. Nate, Rondo, Deng, Rudy, Sergio, etc etc etc.
roll.gif

Common sense means choose the 2nd best talent in the draft regardless of what's being said by "reports". To let another team get theopportunity (like OKC) to draft Rubio then trade him away for assets is ******ed. You got to get over the fact of who's giving the information about theGrizzlies, and pay attention to the situation at hand.

So, what you want Memphis to do? Draft Thabeet at two and not be able to do #*#@ else in the draft? Yes, the reports say that Rubio won't play here, butthose same reports also say that it has to deal with the guard situation moreso than the destination. Get ya head out your @$#$ and realize both sides of thestory . There's a chance that Memphis takes Rubio, trade the pick or even take Thabeet. It's stupid to limit your options to only one or two instead ofhaving a broad amount of options. THINK
laugh.gif

Did Rubio work out for anyone besides the Kings? Or were other GM's invited?
Naw, just the Kings. Sacramento didn't even want to release video of his workout like they did for other prospects. That goes to show you thatthey're blowing smoke about choosing other players over Rubio if he's available at 4. Rubio met with all of the top 4 teams though, but only worked outfor Sacramento.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Common sense means choose the 2nd best talent in the draft regardless of what's being said by "reports". To let another team get the opportunity (like OKC) to draft Rubio then trade him away for assets is ******ed. You got to get over the fact of who's giving the information about the Grizzlies, and pay attention to the situation at hand.

So, what you want Memphis to do? Draft Thabeet at two and not be able to do #*#@ else in the draft? Yes, the reports say that Rubio won't play here, but those same reports also say that it has to deal with the guard situation moreso than the destination. Get ya head out your @$#$ and realize both sides of the story . There's a chance that Memphis takes Rubio, trade the pick or even take Thabeet. It's stupid to limit your options to only one or two instead of having a broad amount of options. THINK
laugh.gif

It's not stupid to eliminate the option of drafting Rubio when EVERY indication is he won't sign and play there...

If they draft him and trade him, what leverage do they have? None, because everybody knows he doesn't want to be there...

Either trade the pick before you make it, or draft someone else... Drafting Rubio shouldn't even be a consideration...

bhz's homerism is really starting to get annoying....
yes, its common sense you pick rubio cuz hes just that damn good, but if the kid dont want to play there, he doesnt.
and you think these "reports" are being leaked out just for fun?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

[h2]Top ten T-Willisms[/h2]
admm_tiny.jpg
by Mike Rutherford on Mar 26, 2009 10:52 AM EDT in Basketball
comment.v1599.png
24 comments

The Courier posted some gems on the side of its "Cards now driven by T-Willpower" feature this morning, so I figured now is as good a time as any to count down the top ten moments in T-Will talk.

We'll begin with something prescient at No. 10.

10. On Louisville's midseason winning streak: "I've realized that if we just keep winning games, eventually we'll win the national championship"

9. Explaining how he followed an 0-for-4 first half with an 8-for-16 second half against Massachusetts as a freshman: "Before, I was thinking about the scouting report and how they are a great shot-blocking team, and I was just trying to get the ball up there. But then I was like, 'Terrence,' -- I call myself Terrence; I don't call myself T-Will -- I was like, 'Terrence, you jump too high to be nervous about somebody else.' "

8. On the importance of then-senior David Padgett: "David Padgett is the t-shirt of this team. You wouldn't go outside without your t-shirt on, and we don't go out on the court without David Padgett."

7. Celebrating the return of Juan Palacios and David Padgett from injuries last season: "You go out into a game in which you know you've got Tello and David playing, your swagger's a lot different. You walk different, you talk different, you talk to a girl different. … You know they're going to back you up. They're going to say, 'Yeah, he's a great guy.' "

6. Explaining why he didn't declare for the NBA draft after his junior season: "There are too many sharks in the water in this year's draft. Next year there's a lot of fish and seaweed. Hopefully, I can be one of those sharks next year."

5. Finding the silver lining in a groin strain: "It's a good thing, because I really like massages and now I'm getting massages all the time."

4. On trying to lead newcomers: "Talking to these freshman is like talking to a pond - just because the water moves doesn't mean it's listening."

3. On breaking out of a shooting slump with a big game from beyond the arc: "No I'm not surprised at how I shot today. If it's two in the afternoon and it's dark outside, then I'd be surprised."

2. On how much the team feeds off of David Padgett: "How much do people eat off plates? We feed off him a lot because he's our point-center, our point-forward, our point-shooting guard. He's everything because he rebounds the ball, he passes the ball, he leads us. He could lead us out of the closet, lead us to the ocean. He's just our everything."

1. On coach Rick Pitino's powers of persuasion: "He's the type of man where, if a dog couldn't talk -- which a dog can't talk -- he would make a dog think it can talk. That dog would keep barking for a long time thinking it was talking."

Let's enjoy every second we have left with this kid because they'll never be another Cardinal like him.
http://www.cardchronicle.com/2009/3/26/811165/top-ten-t-willisms

pimp.gif

Again...doesn't explain why the pundits were seeing red-flags regarding his personality. He's going to be in the lottery, and rightfully so. Idon't get why people are so down on this guy. Since when is being eccentric considered a negative?

So, basically Fegan and Rubio's camp is going behind the Grizzlies back telling these sources that they don't want to play for Memphis?

Because everytime Chris Wallace came into contact with them, the story was completely different. I won't believe the reports until it actually happens.Wallace clearly said yesterday that he's discussed that with Fegan and that he wasn't opposed to the idea of Rubio coming to Memphis. He clearly statedit. That's why I don't see why everybody believing uncited sources over an actual quote and hearing it from the man's mouth himself. He said itlike about two weeks ago I believe, probably after that.

The reason why I don't take reports from sources seriously because they downplay the Grizz on just about anything that goes down when it comes to rumorsand drafting. At the end of the day, they want Memphis to get the shortend of the stick and Memphis fans have been witnesses of it several times. That'swhy I'm against the notion of Rubio not wanting to come here and play. It really has nothing to do with homerism, just the facts. If its true on draftnight, then like I said I'll admit to being wrong. I'm confident in the type of moves the team make.

Another thing I would like to point out is why would Memphis be so ready to make a move if they drafted Rubio and he didn't want to play right away?Memphis is two years away from competing unless they do some major overhauling so if Rubio wanted to go back overseas and play, let him do that. When he comesback at the age of 20, Memphis will still hold his rights. Memphis does have Conley still as their PG, so they can go along with their off-season plans ifRubio decides to go back overseas. Memphis shouldn't be bullied into making a deal even if they did take Rubio.

Either scenario, Memphis will can be embarrassed. They take Thabeet and he becomes a bust. Take Rubio and he could back overseas. Best scenario would be totrade the pick before the draft, but it seems unlikely that will happen at this point.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Common sense means choose the 2nd best talent in the draft regardless of what's being said by "reports". To let another team get the opportunity (like OKC) to draft Rubio then trade him away for assets is ******ed. You got to get over the fact of who's giving the information about the Grizzlies, and pay attention to the situation at hand.

So, what you want Memphis to do? Draft Thabeet at two and not be able to do #*#@ else in the draft? Yes, the reports say that Rubio won't play here, but those same reports also say that it has to deal with the guard situation moreso than the destination. Get ya head out your @$#$ and realize both sides of the story . There's a chance that Memphis takes Rubio, trade the pick or even take Thabeet. It's stupid to limit your options to only one or two instead of having a broad amount of options. THINK
laugh.gif
It's not stupid to eliminate the option of drafting Rubio when EVERY indication is he won't sign and play there...

If they draft him and trade him, what leverage do they have? None, because everybody knows he doesn't want to be there...

Either trade the pick before you make it, or draft someone else... Drafting Rubio shouldn't even be a consideration...

This

and to think if you draft rubio and get a trade like this

LOVE + #6 (and maybe #18) for the #2 + #27 + Darrell Arthur
is down right stupid

if you draft rubio and everyone knows he doesnt want to be there and memphis will listen to trade offers why is anyone going to offer the farm for him? thisant the NFL draft where your looking at a vaule board to get close to even vaule

6+ 18 or 28 gets you the 2 2nd pick or love alone gets you the 2nd pick

laugh.gif
Bro, use your head... Even if Fegan told Chris Wallace that Rubio didn't want to be in Memphis, would the Grizzlies FO come out and tell everybodythat? Be serious... Of course the Grizzlies GM is going to say he feels Rubio would be fine playing in Memphis... If he says Fegan told him Rubio didn'twant to be there, he KILLS the trade value of that pick altogether, and dumps the value right in Oklahoma City's laps... I think Wallace knows andunderstands this, so he's saying and doing all the right thing in public... That's good business, that's what good general managers do...

But taking ANYTHING a general manager or team owner is saying right now at face value is ******ED... And you're not ******ed... You should no better...These league sources and reporters don't just make things up, regardless of how much sports fans that dislike ESPN want to believe it...

If Rubio were fine with Memphis, these whispers wouldn't be as loud and widespread as they are...

if you draft rubio and everyone knows he doesnt want to be there and memphis will listen to trade offers why is anyone going to offer the farm for him? this ant the NFL draft where your looking at a vaule board to get close to even vaule
I agree with your statement, but if a team is EXTREMELY high on him knowing his value to become a potential star then why not make a deal forhim? That goes back to me saying Memphis can just hold on to Rubio and make the situation worse for him and his agent. That would be wrong on the Grizz part,but its also wrong on their part for causing all of this.

Would you REALLY miss the chance of being the 2nd pick and making the 2nd highest salary in the draft regardless of what the team is to go back overseas andmake 400k for a few more years knowing that you have a huge buyout situation on your hands as well?

Like I said, we will be dumb for picking Rubio because he doesn't want to play for us, we will be dumb for not picking him because he will be the besttalent available at #2. Either way, we are going to be blasted. Might as well suck it up and do what is best to make this team better.
laugh.gif

The New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies are pushing hard on aQuentinRichardson(notes)-Darko Milicic trade, and an agreement could come thisweek, league sources said.

The two teams have revived discussions from the February trade deadline on the deal. Richardson has an expiring $9.3 million contract and would be anotherathletic wing player to go with O.J. Mayo(notes) and Rudy Gay(notes).

Milicic, a 7-foot forward-center, is in the final year of his contract and could give the Knicks some rebounding and presence near the rim.

As the Minnesota Timberwolves prepare tomake a push for Memphis' pick at No. 2, it's become clear that they won't package the fifth and sixth picks to get there. The Wolves have made itclear to teams that are trying to pry their 18th pick that it isn't available. They want to use that in combination with one of the two higher picks tomake a deal with Memphis. … The Utah Jazzare enamored with University of Pittsburgh tough guy Sam Young at No. 20, who is a perfect fit for head coach Jerry Sloan. … Golden State has long beenenamored with Brandon Jennings at No. 7, but league sources say the Warriors are considering Wake Forest forward James Johnson there as well. Few teams wouldhave Johnson that high on their draft boards. … Chicago Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich(notes) is telling friends thathe thinks he'll be dealt to the Portland TrailBlazers, who have interest in pairing him with Brandon Roy(notes) in the backcourt. …New Jersey Nets ownership finally told RodThorn that he doesn't have to trade Vince Carter(notes) in a salary dump. Theythus pulled back on a possible trade with the SanAntonio Spurs which would've brought them a package including Bruce Bowen(notes), Fabricio Oberto(notes)and RogerMason(notes) Jr. Nets sources say that if owner Bruce Ratner is goingto bail on the Brooklyn arena and sell his team to cut his losses, ownership groups who would potentially purchase the team would rather he doesn't gut it.… Rival executives say that ClevelandCavaliers GM Danny Ferry would prefer to do a deal for Carter, which was discussed again recently, but feels pressure to make the monumental movefor Phoenix Suns center ShaquilleO'Neal(notes). … Oberto, who was traded to the Detroit Pistons in a three-way deal with theMilwaukee Bucks and will be bought out bythe Pistons in a salary-cap move, will likely return to San Antonio as a free agent. … There's no chance Bowen returns to the Spurs if the Bucks buy himout as well. His relationship with Gregg Popovich deteriorated with his dwindling role a year ago, and that partnership is over. … League sources say the Netshave narrowed their choices at No. 11 to North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough and Duke's Gerald Henderson.

Like I said, we will be dumb for picking Rubio because he doesn't want to play for us, we will be dumb for not picking him because he will be the best talent available at #2. Either way, we are going to be blasted. Might as well suck it up and do what is best to make this team better.
laugh.gif
Nobody is going to blast Memphis for passing on Rubio...

We've seen too many teams be held hostage by these Euro players in the past to look at teams in a negative light for not taking the chance, ESPECIALLYgiven the whispers that have been out there from day one regarding Rubio's feelings on Memphis...

At #2, you can't afford to take that chance... They'd get hammered harder if they drafted Rubio and he stayed in Europe than if they passed on him andhe became a star...

I'd be sad to see Q go, kinda. He's been good by me in his time in NY.
But we need more size.

Back
Top Bottom