:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Anyone listening to Colin Cowherd show on ESPN radio? This dude keeps harping on Rubio, calling him a UFO.
laugh.gif

Says he's gonna be the next Luke Ridnour.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

If Darko ends up w. the Knicks, I'm getting a jersey....I became a fan of his after his rant on that ref
laugh.gif

By far one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a NBA Game.

jennings dropping that low? jesus..if thats the case, one of those teams is definitely getting a steal.

and to me watching rubio and evans play, tyreke got some sick handles to help him as a point guard..they both 6'5..one just plays more like a shootingguard but he can still run the point imo

Word my bad I read it wrong. Still, I think the Grizz are better off keeping Darko for another year and let his contract come off the books.

The thing with Memphis and Rubio is, if Memphis drafts Rubio, everybody is thinking ok, who are they going to trade him to. That's the thing though. Whyact like you don't want the dude the whole way, reports floating how he doesn't want to play there, you draft him, and what do you expect to get backin return all of a sudden? What are teams gonna give up that benefits them? Obviously a player and a lotto pick. Thing is though you look from 4 on out, and itdoesn't look like any team can package anything worthwhile to move up.

Sac with Thompson and 4 for 2 can get it done but that's a steep price IMO.

Anything after the 4 pick, Memphis is going to end up with a player they don't really need. SF - SG - PG is locked up and that's what this draftbasically is in the lottery.

We'll see, man. But I think that's why there's all this Rubio to OKC talk now. It's just smoke I think to create a buzz that Rubio could begone at 3.

pr0phecy718 wrote:
Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

If Darko ends up w. the Knicks, I'm getting a jersey....I became a fan of his after his rant on that ref
laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/v/SguBaDSLFd0&hl=en&fs=1By far one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a NBA Game.

eek.gif
laugh.gif
what the hell

roll.gif
I love that vid also...

yall have to see the one where Darko rips into this Euro ref....I mean "ether" doesn't even do justice for what he was saying...dude OD'd onhis comments towards the ref...and his daughters
laugh.gif

��

Originally Posted by SCuse7

^
laugh.gif

Timberwolves are going to be loaded by the end of this draft if they play it right. I don't see why they would even think about dealing love+5 or 6 for the two or three spot. If they hold on to love and make their 4 first round picks they'll have so much depth.

If you take Curry then I think you take Evans. I still think Evans will eventually play the 1 again like he was doing at Memphis. Then to bring Curry in to shoot as you got guys like Evans/Brewer driving. If they want to take Flynn at 5/6 they gotta go a different route then Curry I think. Or I like Jordan Hill and Curry. Then try to get Teague later.

No need to trade love if they'll have

Brewer
Love
Smith
Jefferson
Plus 4 1st rounders

eek.gif

Thunder
T-WOlves
Portland doing it right

the more that I think about it the less it makes sense for Rubio to go to the Wolves ... dukes is a running pg with no consistent J .. while with Jefferson,Minny is a half court team .. Thabeet and Curry makes a lot more sense

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

wow
roll.gif
dudes on the bench not making eye contact
I love Greg Buckner's reaction...he's thinking "Did this %%!@# do what I think he just did?!?!"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

the more that I think about it the less it makes sense for Rubio to go to the Wolves ... dukes is a running pg with no consistent J .. while with Jefferson, Minny is a half court team .. Thabeet and Curry makes a lot more sense

Been thinking the same thing. Curry is growing on me.

Originally Posted by StephonUrkel

hold up rubio is now 6'5!?!? dude might end up bein like 6'8 haha last summer he was 6'3

and rudolph put on 20 lbs and is still grwoing...
pimp.gif

He's 6'5", because in Europe they measure without your shoes on. In shoes he's been 6'5".

hes 18 tho... with the proper diet/sleeping habits hell be at leas 6'6... i had no idea... that clarifies sum things

smh...the Knicks need Curry...and now the Wolves are going to grab him. I just saw that the Knicks are trying to trade up to the 3 pick. Possibly still keepingthe 8 as well

POSTED: June 24 -- 1:59 p.m. ET

Andy Katz: Minnesota and Memphis haven't talked about a trade for the No. 2 pick yet, according to a source with direct knowledge ofthe situation.

Memphis owner Michael Heisley and GM Chris Wallace are scheduled to meet Wednesday night to discuss their options.

As for the Timberwolves, they want to get to No. 2 to draft Ricky Rubio, but are trying to figure out who would drop to them at No. 5 if they stay put.

If Memphis keeps the No. 2 pick and takes Hasheem Thabeet, Oklahoma City picks James Harden at No. 3 and Sacramento takes Stephen Curry or Jonny Flynn atNo. 4 ... then Rubio would be there at No. 5.

The other Wolves scenario where they'd at least get Thabeet could occur if Memphis picked Tyreke Evans at No. 2, Oklahoma City picked Rubio at No. 3 andSacramento picked Flynn or Curry at No. 4. In that instance, Thabeet would fall to No. 5.

As much as Minnesota wants Thabeet and Rubio, the source said it may be too difficult to pull it off.

POSTED: June 24 -- 12:43 p.m. ET

Chris Broussard: Rajon Rondo is definitely on the market. I'm told he's very hard for Doc Rivers to coach, and that while Rondogets along OK with his teammates, he's far from a great teammate. The fear in Boston is that if Rondo's this difficult to handle on a rookie-scalesalary, he's going to be a monster once he gets big money.

One GM told me, "They won a championship with this guy and he's coming off a tremendous playoff performance ... and they're looking to tradehim. That tells you how bad things are."

POSTED: June 24 -- 12:17 p.m. ET

Marc Stein: The Celtics scoffed with vigor Tuesday night when we presented them with a Rajon Rondo/Brian Scalabrine-for-Rudy Gay/MikeConley scenario.

It certainly does make more sense that the Celts wouldn't surrender Rondo without getting the second overall pick back in the swap, but it's clearlygetting harder and harder for them to convince folks that Rondo isn't in play.

POSTED: June 24 -- 11:55 a.m. ET

Marc Stein: The Grizzlies aren't just entertaining the idea of parting with the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday's draft. They'vealso engaged in advanced discussions with the Knicks that should put former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic in New York by week's end ... unless Memphiswinds up needing Milicic's expiring contract in another draft-related trade.

Sources say that the proposed swap would send Milicic to the Knicks for swingman Quentin Richardson and cash. Milicic is scheduled to earn $7.5 million nextseason in the final year of a three-year deal he received from the Griz in 2007; Richardson has a player option for next season at $8.7 million.

If the teams go through with the trade, Milicic would join his fourth team since Detroit infamously gambled on him in 2003 with the pick immediately afterLeBron James ... and right before Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. But it's believed that Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni hasn't been ableto kick his long-standing interest in seeing what he can get out of the perpetually, uh, casual 24-year-old. Despite his unquestioned standing as one of thebiggest draft busts in league history, Milicic would have to be considered an intriguing one-year rental for the go-go-go Knicks given his length, mobility,passing skills and age.

Wouldn't he?

Read Stein'sentire trade-chatter column here

POSTED: June 24 -- 11:11 a.m. ET

19221.jpg

Harden​

Andy Katz: Wednesday got off to a hurried start for Minnesota, which diverted the travel plans of Arizona State's James Harden.

NBA officials confirmed that Harden was supposed to be at Wednesday's media session in New York but had an unscheduled workout thrust onto his schedulelate Tuesday night.

According to a source close to Harden, Harden flew to Minneapolis for an interview and light shooting workout with the Timberwolves on Wednesday.

The source said Harden was told by Washington that he would have been the Wizards' pick at No. 5 prior to Tuesday's trade that shipped the fifthpick to Minnesota for Randy Foye and Mike Miller, with three Wizards -- Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov -- also heading to Minnesota.

The source said Harden would go to either Oklahoma City at No. 3 or Minnesota at No. 5 or 6, pending further moves by the Wolves.

Harden is expected to get to New York late Wednesday night.

POSTED: June 24 -- 1:18 a.m. ET

Chad Ford: The NBA trading frenzy that normally coincides with draft week got off to a hot start Tuesday with two huge trades. The Buckstraded Richard Jefferson to the Spurs for cap relief,and the Wolves agreed to trade Randy Foye and Mike Miller to the Wizards for the No. 5 pick and a bunch ofplayers with undesirable contracts.

How do the deals affect the draft?

For the Bucks, probably little. This deal gave them some flexibility to re-sign one of their restricted free agents -- either Charlie Villanueva or Ramon Sessions. From what I can gather, the emphasis will be onVillanueva.

Why? The draft has something to do with it. The Bucks have several point guard prospects they like at No. 10. The only big guy they've looked at hard isDeJuan Blair, but that's too high for Blair to go.

I think they'll take Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday or Jeff Teague at No. 10 and go into the summer with a solid rebuilding base of talented young playersincluding Andrew Bogut, Joe Alexander and Villanueva. It isn't a championshipcontender, but it's a start.

For the Spurs, not at all. They don't have a first-round pick anyway.

But the Wolves now are the power players in the draft, with picks 5, 6, 18, 28, 45 and 47. The question is, what will they do next?

Sources say they want two lottery picks, so a trade of 5 and 6 for the second or third pick is unlikely. But they might be willing to package 5 and 18. Thatmight not be enough for Memphis (No. 2), but it could be for Oklahoma City (No. 3). The Thunder might be content to go to No. 5 and get either James Harden orStephen Curry, and then, at No. 18, get another player they covet, Ohio State's B.J. Mullens.

See our latest mockdraft for more on the Wolves' options.

The Wizards are out of the draft now, but what they did was pretty savvy. I thought it would be tough to get two veterans who could come and reallycontribute for them, but Miller and Foye really fill out their backcourt. If they can get one more big man, they will be serious contenders in the East.

• The Pistons also made a small deal Tuesday, moving AmirJohnson to the Bucks for Fabricio Oberto.Since Oberto's contract is only partially guaranteed next year, the Pistons can waive him and get about $1.7 million further under the salary cap thissummer.

That could put them roughly $23 million under the cap going into free agency. Over the past few months, we've assumed Carlos Boozer is their primary target, but that might not be thecase. A league source told me Tuesday that the Pistons' free-agent strategy likely would preclude a run at Boozer.

The Pistons want to add several players to the roster and want to keep salaries at or less than $10 million per year. With Boozer likely demanding a deal inthe $15 million to $16 million a year range, his contract demands are out of their league. Add in concerns about Boozer's injury history, and I don'tthink the Pistons will make a play for him.

Instead, you can look for them to make a run at BenGordon, try to re-sign Antonio McDyess andfind one or two other players they can sign for smaller salaries.

That stance in Detroit could put Boozer in a tough position. If he opts out of his contract with the Jazz, he's going to struggle to find any team farenough under the cap to offer him what he wants. And with the Jazz interested in keeping Paul Millsap, Boozer could be out of luck in Utah, too.

3026.jpg

Rondo​

• The Rajon Rondo trade talk is still alive despiteDanny Ainge's attempts at spin control. In speakingto the media Tuesday, Ainge was pretty adamant that if the Celtics trade Rondo, it will be to make their team better and not because of any problems withRondo.

I'm not sure I totally buy that. Rondo was the best player for the Celtics in the playoffs, a triple-double machine and the bridge between their presentand their future. How would trading Rondo away make the Celtics better?

I'm more persuaded by what several league sources told me about Doc Rivers' relationship with Rondo. They say Rivers has told them Rondo is "impossible to coach" and "stubborn."The worry is that if the Celtics give him a big contract extension next year, he'll be even more unmanageable in the future. So the Celtics are trying totrade him now, while his trade value is high, to avoid a very difficult decision a year from now.

Given that, a couple of potential trade scenarios come to mind. These are not rumors, just hypotheticals.

What about San Antonio's Tony Parker, Roger Mason and Matt Bonner for Ray Allen and Rondo? The Celtics would get another youngchampionship point guard and the Spurs would get a new backcourt capable of winning a title, as we've seen.

Or, what about Memphis' Mike Conley and the No. 2pick for Rondo? Conley isn't Rondo, but he's young and improving, and the Celtics could get their man -- Tyreke Evans -- with the second pick.

• One day after a second workout with the Knicks, Jrue Holiday flew to Toronto for his second workout with the Raptors on Tuesday. Unlike in his firstworkout, against Jonny Flynn, he was by himself. Holiday wowed the Raptors in the first workout and getting him back for a second one in Toronto is a goodsign.

The Raptors seem to have narrowed it down to DeMar DeRozan, Gerald Henderson and Holiday. We're sticking with DeRozan in our mock draft, but well-placedsources in Toronto say Holiday has a lot of fans in Toronto right now.

The Raptors had James Johnson in for a second workout as well. Johnson's stock has been all over the board, and he could be a target. The Raptors mighthave a need at small forward if they're unable to re-sign free agent Shawn Marion this summer.

• One rumor that won't go away has the Suns and Thunder talking about a draft-day swap that would give Oklahoma City the 14th pick and land the Suns theThunder's 25th pick and, more importantly for the Suns, the return of their first-round pick in 2010. The Suns traded that pick to the Thunder severalyears ago as part of the Kurt Thomas trade. The trade isunprotected next year, and with the Suns flirting with rebuilding, they don't want to lose it.

Sources say the Thunder have an eye for Ohio State center B.J. Mullens and likely will take him if he's available at No. 14.

For more Draft Buzz entries, clickhere.

I'd take Rondo in Dallas if all they were looking for was the opportunity to get out from under Ray's contract along with it...

Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse for Rondo and Allen...

I always figured Ray and Rondo had beef. Them dudes always be snapping at each other during the game

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

laugh.gif

By far one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a NBA Game.
i can't breathe
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom