:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

Originally Posted by Al3xis

The Portland TrailBlazers agreed to trade the 24th, 56th and worst of their second round picks in 2010 to the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday for the 22nd pick in Thursday's NBA draft, according to a league source.

The trade has been agreed to in principle by the two teams. It should be finalized by the league office later today.

ummmm what the hell?

The Portland TrailBlazers agreed to trade the 24th, 56th and worst of their second round picks in 2010 to the Dallas Mavericks on Wednesday for the 22nd pick in Thursday's NBA draft, according to a league source.

The trade has been agreed to in principle by the two teams. It should be finalized by the league office later today.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by Al3xis

ummmm what the hell?

It must be somebody they're guarenteed to get at two spots higher than they're going after to do something like that.
laugh.gif
They traded a pick two picks lower, 09' 2nd rounder and 10' 2nd rounderto move up two spots in a mediocre draft?

So we move down two spots, grab the 56th, and a terrible 2nd rounder next year?

What the hell?

We have NO shot at Terrence Williams now..
smh.gif

Sam Young, wishful thinking.

POSTED: June 24 -- 5:08 p.m. ET

19087.jpg

Curry​

Andy Katz: Brandon Jennings said he's not going to the New York Knicks at No. 8. Does he know that for sure? No. But he is confident that the Knicks will get Davidson's Stephen Curry.

"That's who they want,'' Jennings said. "They'll make it happen."

• Curry said he'd be comfortable going to Sacramento at No. 4, where he worked out last Sunday, because he sees the Kings as a team ready to turn things around.

Curry's affection for the Knicks, and the reciprocal feelings, are real.

"They told me that if I was on the board that I would be their No. 1 guy,'' Curry said. "That doesn't mean it's guaranteed. I went to other workouts and made it tougher on them

56th is just a throw in, and the 10 2nd rounder, ehh. Portland stay stockpiling picks anyway, so no biggie. They must be worried about whoever picks at 23swooping on their player

Take it for what it's worth...

Kirk Hinrich has reportedly told friends he is going to be traded to the Blazers, according to Yahoo! Sports.
Hinrich would be a nice upgrade at point guard for the Blazers and clear the way for Derrick Rose to get all the Bulls' point guard minutes.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Take it for what it's worth...

Kirk Hinrich has reportedly told friends he is going to be traded to the Blazers, according to Yahoo! Sports.
Hinrich would be a nice upgrade at point guard for the Blazers and clear the way for Derrick Rose to get all the Bulls' point guard minutes.

Who is Portland reportedly giving up for him?

Via Cuban Twitter.

"we traded the Mavs #22 pick for Blazers #24 and 2 second rd picks. 1 This year, 1 next. We think we can get our guy at 24 #fb

you never know when 2nd rd picks can come in handy..#fb"

Oh God, who are you targeting that we can move down for Cuban...
sick.gif
smh.gif

What I don't get is that we could just BUY another pick virtually if the Knicks can, Cuban being cheap? I don't think that's the reason, I justdon't get it...
tired.gif

Blazers got like 14 second round picks, they can't possibly use all of them, so this is just a move to unload a couple and advance a spot or two. Nonissue deal.

Hinrich might be alright out there though. Who they given up for him?

Jun 24, 2009 5:24 PM EST

The Portland Trail Blazers acquired the 22nd pick in Thursday's NBA draft from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for the 24th and 56th picks in thisyear's draft, as well as the worst of their second round picks in 2010.

Portland was motivated to jump ahead of Sacramento, who owns the 23rd overall pick and likes Omri Casspi.

Omri? Really?

Well I guess the rest of their foreign prospects have worked out.. :?

laugh.gif

They don't know what the hell they're doing, they just lucked out on the Roy deal and the fact that they buy 8 extra picks every year.

Passing on Paul and Durant sure has worked out for them. But it's always the same, "someday, we'll be a problem, someday someday someday etc etcetc etc".

Someday never comes.
pimp.gif

I was hoping Casspi would fall to 27, but if Memphis ends up with Q-Rich there won't really be no need for a backup SF.
They don't know what the hell they're doing, they just lucked out on the Roy deal and the fact that they buy 8 extra picks every year.

Passing on Paul and Durant sure has worked out for them. But it's always the same, "someday, we'll be a problem, someday someday someday etc etc etc etc".
laugh.gif

I really can't get a finger on who Dallas likes... Usually I got dudes that can give me that kinda information, but nobody really can tell this year...

But if you can trade down and still get your guy, go on ahead, even though two second rounders do nothing for me...

Oklahoma City the Wild Card

With the top two picks likely falling into place in the form of Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet, all eyes are now on Oklahoma City, to see whether they would take Ricky Rubio or James Harden.

Oklahoma City has already reportedly offered Minnesota to trade the #5 and #6 picks for the #3 selection, where Ricky Rubio is sure to be available for the Timberwolves. Oklahoma City appears to be sending out signals that Rubio is the player they covet at #3, although this could very well be a smokescreen to force Minnesota to trade up if they indeed covet Rubio as much as people think.

Another rumor that is making the rounds is that Oklahoma City may be working on a deal with the New York Knicks that would involve drafting Rubio and then shipping him to the Knicks in July in a sign and trade for David Lee. The tricky part would be coming to terms with Lee on an appropriate contract figure before the pick is made, since technically they are not allowed to negotiate, and Lee likely does not yet know what his true value on the open market.

Still, considering his restricted status, and the fact that there are precious few teams with substantial cap space this summer, Oklahoma City could be a very attractive destination for Lee if his agent can reach a handshake agreement with their front office.

In this scenario, the Knicks would likely select Mike D'Antoni's favorite, Jordan Hill, with the #8 pick. More on that later.

5:25 Update

Thabeet a Lock at Two?

Virtually every team we're speaking to right now has Hasheem Thabeet slated to be picked second by the Grizzlies. Memphis' entire front-office met with owner Michael Heisley yesterday at his house to go through all the various possibilities for tomorrow night's draft, and came to the conclusion that barring a trade, they will select Thabeet with the #2 pick.

We asked Thabeet about his decision to decline his workout in Memphis at the Media session in New York today. After a long and awkward pause, here is what he had to say:

"I didn't…I haven't…I mean I couldn't reschedule because the schedule was kinda you know...I couldn't work out early like I was supposed to like everyone else because I had hyper-extended my shoulder working out. Later on when I was scheduled to go to Memphis I found out my visa had expired so I had to get to New York as soon as possible to get it done on Monday morning or I would be deported. So I had to get out here as soon as possible."

In regards to not wanting to play in Memphis:

"That's not accurate at all. To me this is a blessing to be in this position wherever I am to play basketball; wherever I end up I'll be happy. I'm just happy to be in this position. Whoever drafts me, I'll be happy to go there."

Link

POSTED: June 24 -- 5:53 p.m. ET

Chris Broussard: I'm told that Toronto really likes Jonny Flynn and that the Raptors will strongly consider taking him if he's there at No. 9.According to sources, there is some sentiment within the Raptors organization that they need more of a risk-taker than Jose Calderon at PG, especially if theyre-sign Shawn Marion. Flynn, projected to go anywhere from No. 4 to No. 11, would love to go there.

• Brandon Jennings, who may drop out of the lottery, had a tremendous workout with New Jersey on Tuesday. Coach Lawrence Frank felt he ran the pick-and-rollbetter than any player the Nets worked out.

The Nets believe that in three to four years, Jennings could be either the first- or second-best player in the entire draft class. But they believe he'stwo to three years away from being an everyday starter, so they won't pick him.

Golden State likes Jennings at No. 7, but coach Don Nelson told Jennings he'd be a backup to Monta Ellis. Nelson's going to move Stephen Jackson to2-guard. Jennings is hoping to go somewhere and play right away. Milwaukee's a strong possibility at No. 10. If he falls, Phoenix could nab him at No. 14or Philadelphia at No. 15.

• At No. 11, the Nets have four players on their board: Flynn, Terrence Williams, Gerald Henderson and Tyler Hansbrough. Hansbrough is the fourth choice. Theythink he'll be a solid pro for 10 years, though probably just a spot starter. They love Williams' versatility and upside.

• I'm told OKC will take Hasheem Thabeet at No. 3 if he's there, though there are concerns that he'll struggle on a team for which he's the No.1 post option. I'm also told that if Thabeet's not there, the Thunder will take James Harden. GM Sam Presti loves Ricky Rubio, but he knows RussellWestbrook will be angered to the point of wanting out if OKC drafts another PG.

POSTED: June 24 -- 5:23 p.m. ET

Chad Ford: Good news, Knicks fans. Timberwolves GM David Kahn may allow the Knicks to have their guy after all.

As we've reported, the Wolves are willing to talk about moving the No. 5 and No. 18 picks for either the No. 2 or No. 3 pick in the draft.

But if they can't get that done, they have a number of other options. We've mentioned Ricky Rubio, James Harden, Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry aspossibilities. Add Jonny Flynn to that list as well. Sources say the Wolves are strongly considering Flynn with one of their two lottery picks ... if Rubio isoff the board.

If they take Flynn, chances are they'll pass on Curry, giving the Knicks a shot at drafting their target.

• With a proposed Hawks-Warriors deal inching toward completion, it's time to take a second to analyze how this affects the draft.

The Warriors have the seventh pick in the draft and have been strongly considering both Curry and Jordan Hill. This deal gives them a young point guard in AcieLaw, which makes one think the Warriors will go big at No. 7. If Hill is off the board, they also like Wake Forest's James Johnson.

The Hawks have the 19th pick and we've pegged them with a point guard as well. With Mike Bibby hitting free agency, we thought it was a no-brainer thatthey'd go with a point. Now that Crawford is in the mix, it looks like the Hawks could turn their attention to the frontcourt. Two players that they'vebeen looking at are Tyler Hansbrough and B.J. Mullens.

• As we just reported, the Portland Trail Blazers agreed to trade the 24th, 56th and worst of their second-round picks in 2010 to the Dallas Mavericks onWednesday for the 22nd pick in the draft. The trade has been agreed to in principle and should be finalized in the league office later Wednesday.

Why would the Blazers move up two spots in the draft? The word around the league was the Kings had zeroed in on Omri Casspi with the 23rd pick. Casspi could bea good pick for the Blazers to either keep overseas or bring over this year to provide more toughness in the frontcourt.

Other potential targets for the Blazers could be Florida's Nick Calathes, Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, Georgetown's DaJuan Summers and VCU's EricMaynor.

For the Mavericks, they pick up a couple of extra picks to move two spots in the draft.

• A number of reports have surfaced about a potential Bobcats-Sixers trade that would send Samuel Dalembert and the No. 17 pick to Charlotte for Nazr Mohammed,Vladimir Radmanovic and the No. 12 pick.

While I was able to confirm that the Bobcats indeed made the pitch, the Sixers just as quickly shot it down.

POSTED: June 24 -- 5:08 p.m. ET

Curry
Andy Katz: Brandon Jennings said he's not going to the New York Knicks at No. 8. Does he know that for sure? No. But he is confident that the Knicks willget Davidson's Stephen Curry.

"That's who they want,'' Jennings said. "They'll make it happen."

• Curry said he'd be comfortable going to Sacramento at No. 4, where he worked out Sunday, because he sees the Kings as a team ready to turn things around.

Curry's affection for the Knicks, and the reciprocal feelings, are real.

"They told me that if I was on the board that I would be their No. 1 guy,'' Curry said. "That doesn't mean it's guaranteed. I went toother workouts and made it tougher on them."

Oklahoma City appears to be sending out signals that Rubio is the player they covet at #3, although this could very well be a smokescreen to force Minnesota to trade up if they indeed covet Rubio as much as people think
You gotta love the strategy and games played during draft week.
laugh.gif

Unless Minnesota gets duped, that is.
ohwell.gif

I can see Flynn going to Minn., Imagine the core of Flynn,Harden,Brewer,Love, Jefferson.....with Foye and Miller off the bench.

Definite smoke screen by OKC.

Doesn't matter anyway, as Rubio is more then likely gone at 4 if he's there, so, if Minny wants him, they're gonna have trade up. Because it'ssounding like Thabeet at 2, OKC should take the 5 and 18.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

I can see Flynn going to Minn., Imagine the core of Flynn,Harden,Brewer,Love, Jefferson.....with Foye and Miller off the bench.
??

Back
Top Bottom