:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

At this point, I would rather Memphis take Evans > Thabeet at no.2 if we kept the pick. Evans has a better chance at becoming a great player moreso thanThabeet. Evans would help bring in the fans, his size would be great to play alongside either Conley or OJ in a 3 guard rotation, can be a great perimeterdefender and get to the rim at will.

Rubio, Evans or trade. Memphis needs a PF, not a center which they can get via trade or free agency.

ok so coverage starts at 7 et right?

when will they start making picks? 8? 7 30?

i dont get home until 8 et and i dont really wanna miss much. ill leave work early if i have to

Fat boy Zach,camby or the caveman ant worth the 5th pick. hell the 18 pick would be a reach

My satalliete is out, so ya'll going to have to keep me updated
tired.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Physicx

ok so coverage starts at 7 et right?

when will they start making picks? 8? 7 30?

i dont get home until 8 et and i dont really wanna miss much. ill leave work early if i have to
I want to say 8 EST, but I don't want to make any dumb predictions

laugh.gif
if OKC takes Rubio...... Unless they're looking to trade.... but still
laugh.gif
if they kept him, Westbrook is gonna be pisssssssed

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Fat boy Zach,camby or the caveman ant worth the 5th pick. hell the 18 pick would be a reach
roll.gif
You reached your limit on a WEDNESDAY where nothing wasgoing on? Go outside Mike...

Originally Posted by Jason23Richardson

The Memphis Grizzlies' twin towers with Thabeet would be pretty damn awesome later on.

Mayo
Gay
Darrell Arthur
Marc Gasol
Thabeet

if only Mayo could play the 1 effectively.

Rubio
Mayo
Gay
Loser
Marc Gasol

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
damn that front line would be way too slow..

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

roll.gif
You reached your limit on a WEDNESDAY where nothing was going on? Go outside Mike...

roll.gif
i think the USA game thread got me but i was like what the hell whenthe message came up

Originally Posted by chr1scross

Originally Posted by Jason23Richardson

The Memphis Grizzlies' twin towers with Thabeet would be pretty damn awesome later on.

Mayo
Gay
Darrell Arthur
Marc Gasol
Thabeet

if only Mayo could play the 1 effectively.

Rubio
Mayo
Gay
Loser
Marc Gasol

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
damn that front line would be way too slow..

laugh.gif
Was that suppose to be a starting lineup?
roll.gif

Even if Memphis were trying to bring in an all-star PF like Boozer, I still wouldn't be open to Thabeet. The first reaction from Memphis fans if Thabeetname is called at no.2 will definitely be boo's.

I was just saying to myself how I have to pace myself for tomorrow night.

Not trying to hit the limit cuz I have a big feeling there will be lots of trades and crazy $++# going down tomorrow.
laugh.gif

POSTED: June 24 -- 9:11 p.m. ET

Chris Broussard: A league source tells me there's a 50-50 chance of the Shaq-to-Cleveland trade going down either tonight or tomorrow."It could be a three-team deal, but it doesn't have to be," says the source.

I'm also told that Chris Kaman and Tyson Chandler are being shopped and could have new homes tomorrow.

[h3]News Update[/h3]
POSTED: June 24 -- 9 p.m. ET

The NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers will likely unload at least one of their three draft picks.

They have the 29th pick in the first round and the 42nd and 59th picks in the second round of Thursday's draft.

General manager Mitch Kupchak said Wednesday that there was a "better than even likelihood" the team would get rid of its first-round pick.

For the full story, click here.

POSTED: June 24 -- 8:21 p.m. ET

19272.jpg

Rubio​

Ric Bucher: Latest talk out of Sacramento is that the Kings are no longer interested in taking Ricky Rubio, or at best are inhot debate about whether to take him or Tyreke Evans or Jonny Flynn.

A source, however, says that there's one huge missing piece in the picture: GM Geoff Petrie has stayed quiet as the debate has raged over what to do andhe continues to have the biggest voice on the basketball staff.

Several league sources questioned why the Kings are debating their choice. Sacramento's climate and geography apparently remind Rubio of his Spanishhome, the team desperately needs a point guard and he has the potential star appeal that the franchise historically has had a hard time attracting.

For all those reasons, several GMs and scouts believe the talk of not taking Rubio is merely a smoke screen to keep Minnesota or the Knicks or any otherteam interested in him from making deals to jump ahead of the Kings in order to get Rubio. So which is it? There's no knowing until Petrie speaks up. Whichhe hasn't yet -- but certainly must before Thursday night.

[h3]News Updates[/h3]
POSTED: June 24 -- 7:20 p.m. ET

165.jpg

Crawford​

The Atlanta Hawks and Golden State Warriors are closing in on a trade that would find a new homefor Jamal Crawford. NBA front-office sources say that theWarriors and Hawks will soon complete a deal sending Crawford to Atlanta for Acie Law and Speedy Claxton.

• The Portland Trail Blazers acquired the 22nd pick inThursday's NBA draft from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange forthe 24th and 56th picks in this year's draft, and worst of Portland's second round picks in 2010. The trade has been agreed to in principle by the twoteams. It should be finalized by the league office later today.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban posted twice on Twitter: "We think we can get our guy at 24" and "You never know when 2nd rd picks can come inhandy."

• Minnesota's trade with the Washington Wizards wascompleted Wednesday, but several other proposed trades by the Timberwolves haven't had the same luck.

Memphis has refused multiple trade offers from Minnesota because the Timberwolves aren't prepared to part with both the No. 5 and 6 picks or to toss inKevin Love in another scenario with just the No. 6 pick,a source with knowledge of the Grizzlies' situation told ESPN.com.

POSTED: June 24 -- 6:58 p.m. ET

614.jpg

O'Neal​

Chad Ford: The scuttlebutt this evening was that the Cavs and Suns were closing in on the now-famous Shaquille O'Neal for Ben Wallacetrade. The two teams have discussed the trade, off and on, since February and several league sources thought the deal was nearing completion tonight.

However, a Suns source poured some cold water on the red-hot rumor, saying that the deal was not done nor was it expected to be completed tonight. Said thesource, "It's one of the things we're talking about now. We have a lot of irons in the fire."

To get a good feel for where the talks stand between the two teams, check out Marc Stein's column thismorning.

POSTED: June 24 -- 5:53 p.m. ET

Chris Broussard: I'm told that Toronto really likes Jonny Flynn and that the Raptorswill strongly consider taking him if he's there at No. 9. According to sources, there is some sentiment within the Raptors organization that they need moreof a risk-taker than Jose Calderon at PG, especially if they re-sign Shawn Marion. Flynn, projected to go anywhere from No. 4 to No. 11, would love to gothere.

Brandon Jennings,who may drop out of the lottery, had a tremendous workout with New Jersey on Tuesday. Coach Lawrence Frank felt he ran the pick-and-roll better than any playerthe Nets worked out.

The Nets believe that in three to four years, Jennings could be either the first- or second-best player in the entire draft class. But they believe he'stwo to three years away from being an everyday starter, so they won't pick him.

Golden State likes Jennings at No. 7, but coach Don Nelson told Jennings he'd be a backup to Monta Ellis. Nelson's going to move Stephen Jackson to2-guard. Jennings is hoping to go somewhere and play right away. Milwaukee's a strong possibility at No. 10. If he falls, Phoenix could nab him at No. 14or Philadelphia at No. 15.

• At No. 11, the Nets have four players on their board: Flynn, Terrence Williams, Gerald Henderson and Tyler Hansbrough. Hansbrough isthe fourth choice. They think he'll be a solid pro for 10 years, though probably just a spot starter. They love Williams' versatility and upside.

• I'm told OKC will take Hasheem Thabeet at No. 3 if he's there, though there are concerns that he'll struggle on a team for which he's the No. 1 postoption. I'm also told that if Thabeet's not there, the Thunder will take James Harden. GM Sam Presti lovesRicky Rubio, but he knowsRussell Westbrook will be angered to the point of wanting out if OKC drafts another PG.

POSTED: June 24 -- 5:23 p.m. ET

Chad Ford: Good news, Knicks fans. Timberwolves GM David Kahn may allow the Knicks to have their guy after all.

As we've reported, the Wolves are willing to talk about moving the No. 5 and No. 18 picks for either the No. 2 or No. 3 pick in the draft.

But if they can't get that done, they have a number of other options. We've mentioned Ricky Rubio, James Harden, Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry aspossibilities. Add Jonny Flynn to that list as well. Sources say the Wolves are strongly considering Flynn with one of their two lottery picks ... if Rubio isoff the board.

If they take Flynn, chances are they'll pass on Curry, giving the Knicks a shot at drafting their target.

• With a proposed Hawks-Warriors deal inching toward completion, it's time to take a second to analyze how this affects the draft.

The Warriors have the seventh pick in the draft and have been strongly considering both Curry and Jordan Hill. This deal gives them a young point guard inAcie Law, which makes one think the Warriors will go big at No. 7. If Hill is off the board, they also like Wake Forest's James Johnson.

The Hawks have the 19th pick and we've pegged them with a point guard as well. With Mike Bibby hitting free agency, we thought it was a no-brainer thatthey'd go with a point. Now that Crawford is in the mix, it looks like the Hawks could turn their attention to the frontcourt. Two players that they'vebeen looking at are Tyler Hansbrough and B.J. Mullens.

• As we just reported, the Portland Trail Blazers agreed to trade the 24th, 56th and worst of their second-round picks in 2010 to the Dallas Mavericks onWednesday for the 22nd pick in the draft. The trade has been agreed to in principle and should be finalized in the league office later Wednesday.

Why would the Blazers move up two spots in the draft? The word around the league was the Kings had zeroed in on Omri Casspi with the 23rd pick. Casspi couldbe a good pick for the Blazers to either keep overseas or bring over this year to provide more toughness in the frontcourt.

Other potential targets for the Blazers could be Florida's Nick Calathes, Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, Georgetown's DaJuan Summers and VCU'sEric Maynor.

For the Mavericks, they pick up a couple of extra picks to move two spots in the draft.

• A number of reports have surfaced about a potential Bobcats-Sixers trade that would send Samuel Dalembert and the No. 17 pick to Charlotte for NazrMohammed, Vladimir Radmanovic and the No. 12 pick.

While I was able to confirm that the Bobcats indeed made the pitch, the Sixers just as quickly shot it down.

I'm also told that Chris Kaman and Tyson Chandler are being shopped and could have new homes tomorrow.
One or the other Mark... Please... One or the other... *crosses fingers*

You'd have to think both teams are looking to flat out cut payroll, so I'd think Stackhouse's *%@%#%% contract would be enough for either...

If any team takes Rubio before the Kings, I hope its OKC. I like them.

I dislike the Grizz because they gave the Lakers Gasol for free.

Let them take Thabeet. Hahahaha.

looks like phoenix is going to blow the team up. steve kerr appreciated
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

[h1]Another lottery pick?[/h1]
Posted by mike baldwin

on June 24, 2009 at 12:32 am

By Mike Baldwin
ESPN reported late Tuesday night that the Thunder and Phoenix are rumored to be discussing a trade that would give Oklahoma City two lottery picks Thursday night in the draft.

Ready for the punch line. The Suns want their unprotected pick back that Sam Presti stole from them just a few months on the job from the Kurt Thomas trade two years ago.

According to the report, OKC would get Phoenix's No. 14 pick while the Suns would get the Thunder's No. 25 pick late in the first round. It went on to say Presti has an eye on using the pick on Ohio State center B.J. Mullens.

Is it a good deal? It depends.

Phoenix might dismantle. The pick Phoenix would get back could be extremely valuable in the 2010 draft, which figures to be much more loaded with star prospects. What if the Suns tear things apart and have a top 10 pick next season?

If the deal is made, who does Presti select with the final lottery pick?

Mullens would be a project. He was a major disappointment last season as a freshman with the Buckeyes. But many scouts feel he has a lot of upside, although it might be two or three years before you could fairly evaluate someone like Mullens.

But what if Presti ends up using the pick to take someone like Pitt's beast DeJuan Blair, who might contribute immediately, giving the Thunder some much needed inside muscle?

For now, it's only a rumor. But if Presti does get Phoenix's pick it's a sign he's confident the team is closer to putting all the pieces together, even if he has to wait a year or two to let someone like Mullens develop.

like Dirk said a few pages back that would be dumb for OKC because the suns will be horrible next year and the draft pick will be higher

laugh.gif
Why would Presti do that trade?

Let Phoenix dismantle, and reap the benefits next season in a stronger draft... Even if Phoenix trades Shaq and calls it a day, they aren't a playoff teamnext year... Oklahoma City isn't a playoff team next year either, I don't think, so why go for the quick fix right now?

laugh.gif
Tonight, Heisley was interviewed on the news. He pretty much saidthat if anything, Fegan's posturing made him more inclined to pick Rubio than to steer away from him.
laugh.gif

Also.....

From the NY times:
Rubio limited his predraft workouts to the Sacramento Kings, holders of the fourth pick. There have been concerns that Rubio and the agent Dan Fegan, who also represents the international players Yi Jianlian and Anderson Varejao, have made it known that Memphis and Oklahoma City are unfavorable landing spots. Rubio said Wednesday that was not necessarily the case.

When asked what would happen if he were drafted by Memphis, Rubio quickly responded: "Then I will play with my friend Marc Gasol. If Memphis takes me, Memphis takes me. But we will see what happens tomorrow."
So, if Memphis doesn't take him at least we know its not all that BS about him not wanting to come here. Like I said, Memphis just need totake Rubio because its obvious that the situation at hand is not that big of a deal people are making it out to be. If Memphis chooses him and he all of asudden says "I want to be traded", that will make him look bad by what he said in the interview. I still don't think he would ask to be traded ifMemphis chose him though. Yes, my homerism is in full affect.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom