OFFICIAL 2010-11 NHL SEASON THREAD ... Regular season has ended. Visit Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

stamkos killin it
sick.gif
this dude stamkos is outta control

More angles on the Staal hit:

I was skeptical at first, but after reviewing this, I think it's a pretty clear example of a blindside hit to the head: Staal approaches Stajan from the side (a diagonal at best), and his shoulder definitely connects with Stajan's head a few seconds after the pass. Wouldn't be shocked to see M. Staal out for a few games.

LA or a team like Boston needs to try and make a move for Iginla.

When there were rumors this summer of the Devils possibly going after Price to be the eventual replacement for Marty, I was all behind it.

30t6p3b.gif

I remember back in the day when I really watched alot of Hockey, I used to think Alexei Kovalev was gonna be an all time great.

weird to see him still playing but glad he picked up his 1000th point

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
he's one of the most inconsistent and frustrating players I've ever watched. Him, Straka and Lang in Pittsburgh
pimp.gif

eek.gif
@ that Staal hit....clean IMO. Just read there will be no suspension. From the first time I saw it, I never once thought he'd be getting some games....

Caps have looked like #!* for the past couple of games. Boudreau is pissed at the team. Another thing...Ovechkin's play is being criticized. He looks like he's not playing too hard, and for him to have a "C" on his jersey, he needs to step it up. Unless there is an injury, I dunno i've ever seen him look this bad.

Originally Posted by True Blues

I was skeptical at first, but after reviewing this, I think it's a pretty clear example of a blindside hit to the head: Staal approaches Stajan from the side (a diagonal at best), and his shoulder definitely connects with Stajan's head a few seconds after the pass. Wouldn't be shocked to see M. Staal out for a few games.
Completely disagree... When contact was made it was completely north-south. Stajan was admiring the pass with his head down and he paid for it big time.

Originally Posted by Physicx

^didnt see it but was he just standing in front of the net waiting for a redirection? good ol smitty
laugh.gif

Yup.  
laugh.gif

Justin Williams threw a wrister at the net and Smyth was there waiting, but he brought that stick up too high apparently. 
grin.gif

Toronto apparently going after Richards hard even though they don't seem to have anything Dallas would want back
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Toronto apparently going after Richards hard even though they don't seem to have anything Dallas would want back
laugh.gif
Burkie has been getting killed by the Toronto media lately, he's got to be feeling some pressure to make a splash. But you're right, outside of Kaberle and Schenn, the Leafs have no trade pieces.

Aside: I met Burke in late September. He's surprisingly friendly.

Originally Posted by True Blues

Aside: I met Burke in late September. He's surprisingly friendly.
ive heard. he seems like it though i still hate him

and we suck. wow. i hope cogs is alright though

That was a clean hit, IMO. Hockey 101: DO NOT SKATE THROUGH THE NEUTRAL ZONE WITH YOUR HEAD ZONE.

And I dont really like Stajan.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

voteforavery.png

indifferent.gif

Giroux and Bob getting votes
pimp.gif
 well deserved. What is crazy is Meszaros should be in it he has been the Flyers best Dman, imo. better than Pronger and Timo. straight up beast. 

and Stamkos
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[h2]http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...ting-2011-NHL-All-Star-Game-vo?urn=nhl-288694[/h2]
[h2]The 9 most interesting 2011 NHL All-Star Game voting trends[/h2]
By Greg Wyshynski

The NHL today released the initial fan vote totals for the2011 NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh, and there were some surprising (and someexpected) trends. Here are nine that caught our attention:

1. Carey Price(notes)

The story of the early voting, without question. Hewas considered by many to be a "snub" when the ballots were released, asthe Montreal Canadiens goalie was in the midst of a fantastic start (12-7, 2.05GAA, .932 save percentage, 4 shutouts). Not helping matters: His former teammateand competitive rival Jaroslav Halak(notes) was on the ballot for the St. Louis Blues while Price was not. 

In the early voting, Price's name was written in 71,199times to lead all goaltenders. Halak was fourth at 47,483.

This huge total is a combination of Canadiens fans onceagain doing some ballot box stuffing (check out some of the write-in totalsfor Habs players, as wellas vote totals for those on the ballot). But it's also recognition that agoalie who clearly should be an all-star is getting the public support tobecome one. 

2. Meanwhile, There'sa Sergei Surge

Flyers fans have been as proactive as any fan base in thevoting, writing in Claude Giroux(notes) to the No. 11 spot among forwards and ChrisPronger(notes) to No. 3 among defensemen, about 2,700 votes behind Nicklas Lidstrom(notes)for the Detroit Red Wings. But getting Sergei Bobrovsky(notes) into the No. 2 slotamong goalies as a rookie write-in is impressive. His 58,101 votes are morethan 11,000 more than Tim Thomas(notes) of the Boston Bruins (47,646) in third-place,who was on the ballot.

With rookie slots open for goalies, he should make the gameregardless; but it's impressive nonetheless.
http://
3. The Write Stuff (Non-Goalies)

Speaking of write-ins, here are the top vote-getters fornon-goalies. Semin was perhaps the most well-publicized snub on the NHL'sballot.
[table][tr][td]
*Claude Giroux (F)
[/td] [td]
Philadelphia
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
*Kris Letang (D)
[/td] [td]
Pittsburgh
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
*Tomas Plekanec (F)
[/td] [td]
Montreal
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
*P.K. Subban (D)
[/td] [td]
Montreal
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
*Alexander Semin (F)
[/td] [td]
Washington
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
*Patrick Sharp (F)
[/td] [td]
Chicago
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
4. I'll Be Taking MyApathy To South Beach

The Florida Panthers have three players on the ballot: TomasVokoun(notes), David Booth(notes) and Bryan McCabe(notes). Combined, they have 9,722 All-Star Gamevotes; which means more people have written in Chris Stewart(notes) of theColorado Avalanche (9,762) than have voted for a Panther on the ballot.

5. Could OvechkinFall Out Of The Top 3?

Your top forwards in the early all-star voting:
[table][tr][td]
Forwards
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Sidney Crosby
[/td] [td]
Pittsburgh
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Alex Ovechkin
[/td] [td]
Washington
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Jonathan Toews
[/td] [td]
Chicago
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Steven Stamkos
[/td] [td]
Tampa Bay
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

The more Steven Stamkos(notes) chaseshistory, the more support he'll receive. As of right now, Alex Ovechkin(notes) has thefourth-highest vote total behind Crosby, Duncan Keith(notes) and Lidstrom.

However, should this be a surprise? Ovechkin famouslyfinished sixth among Eastern Conference forwards in 2009, prompting CoachBruce Boudreau to say, "It's dumb ... It's not right the best player in thegame is not a starter."

Ovechkin can still start under the new All-Star Game ruleseven if he doesn't make the Top 3.

6. Ilya Kovalchuk(notes)
Even if Ovechkin tumbles down the vote rankings, he's stillnot Ilya Kovalchuk (7,669 votes). The New Jersey Devils star, suffering througha season from hell, is ranked No. 58 among forwards, right behind a write-incampaign for Jussi Jokinen(notes) (8,013) and ahead of that perennial all-star R.J. Umberger(notes)(7,470).

7. Sean Avery(notes) >BizNasty

Inour 2011 NHL All-Star Game election guide, we noted that the Sean Averycampaign orchestrated by a few New York Rangers blogs had a chance to take off.So far, so good: The pest has earned 17,494 write-in votes, which blows awaythe 9,591 garnered by PaulBissonnette of the Phoenix Coyotes, who had a much more publicizedfan campaign behind him. Firsta boosted cell phone, now this.

8. CarolinaHome-Cookin'

The 2011 NHL All-Star Game is in Raleigh, and some of thetotals show the fans are jacked. Eric Staal(notes) (38,141), Chad LaRose(notes) (15,214,write-in) and rookie Jeff Skinner(notes) (16,652, write-in) are among the Canes pollingwell; Cam Ward(notes) has more votes at the moment than Roberto Luongo(notes). (Update: There's a fan movement afoot for Skinner.)

9. Finally, the Worst2,500 Votes Ever Cast

Will the person or persons responsible for giving New YorkIslanders defenseman Mark Streit(notes), who has missed the entire season, his 2,500 voteplease report to the principal's office ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...ting-2011-NHL-All-Star-Game-vo?urn=nhl-288694

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

What a great career for Pat Burns, may he rest in peace. 

Originally Posted by Solemate96

I like this LA Kings team. I know they're going through a little slump but Brown, Simmonds, Doughty, Kopitar. They're some of my favorite players outside of the Boston Bruins organization. 
Too bad they don't get enough recognition by the "main stream" media. 

Them along with Jack Johnson, and Jon Quick are the core of this team.
pimp.gif

What's the atmosphere for hockey in Los Angeles?

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Staples Center draws great crowds, but as far as an atmosphere outside of the arena?  It ends in the parking lot as you drive away.  No one talks hockey in L.A.  
Hockey takes a backseat to almost everything in L.A.... Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, Sunset Blvd., Tanning etc.. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

We have one of the greatest and most knowledgeable fans in the league, but you wouldn't be able to tell one bit in this city, unless you are in the arena. 

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Staples Center draws great crowds, but as far as an atmosphere outside of the arena?  It ends in the parking lot as you drive away.  No one talks hockey in L.A.  
Hockey takes a backseat to almost everything in L.A.... Lakers, Dodgers, USC, UCLA, Sunset Blvd., Tanning etc.. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

We have one of the greatest and most knowledgeable fans in the league, but you wouldn't be able to tell one bit in this city, unless you are in the arena. 

Which is why I never became a Kings fan, there is absolutely zero energy here when it comes to the sport. It also desn't hurt that my first experience with the NHL happened at the old United Center.

Sharks beat our @ss tonight
mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom