OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Another thing you're not considering....maybe Russ' parents/teachers shielded him from what happened. I don't think it's naive at all. My girl teaches 1st grade and I asked her opinion on it....she told me that with catastrophies (sp?) such as the OKC bombings, they usually don't discuss it in their class unless the student brings it up themselves. Remember...these kids in 1st grade are 6/7 years old. It's a hard subject to explain to a young child.

I was 15 at the time of the bombings and I do remember it happening, but for the life of me I can't remember the coverage it got in the months/days/years after the tragedy happened. I honestly couldn't tell you how much it was discussed at my HS.  Shoot, before I read some of the comments in this thread I didn't even remember what year the OKC bombings happened. No disrespect, but it's not ingrained in my mind like 9/11.

I can understand where he's coming from.

Back to b-ball....

Brendan Haywood's foul shooting
eek.gif

Wow....did yall know he shot 73% from the FT line w. the Wizards? He worked extensively w. Dave Hopla...dude is AMAZING as far as helping guys with their FT routine/technique....JapanAir or Nowitness, do you know if Haywood is still working with him? If not, I'm surprised the Mavs haven't brought him along to help out (or a sports psychologist). Dude is over-thinking BIG TIME.

Originally Posted by CP1708

If my state was bombed, rest assured I wouldn't know about it, nor care. Hell, I think the rest of country prolly call in sick that day, pretend the whole day never happened.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Why did Comcast have to run internet to this guys village...

Another thing you're not considering....maybe Russ' parents/teachers shielded him from what happened. I don't think it's naive at all. My girl teaches 1st grade and I asked her opinion on it....she told me that with catastrophies (sp?) such as the OKC bombings, they usually don't discuss it in their class unless the student brings it up themselves. Remember...these kids in 1st grade are 6/7 years old. It's a hard subject to explain to a young child.

I was 15 at the time of the bombings and I do remember it happening, but for the life of me I can't remember the coverage it got in the months/days/years after the tragedy happened. I honestly couldn't tell you how much it was discussed at my HS.  Shoot, before I read some of the comments in this thread I didn't even remember what year the OKC bombings happened. No disrespect, but it's not ingrained in my mind like 9/11

My roommates were 8 when Columbine occurred and they said they werent told much about it during school.  Their teachers shielded them from it.  I dont blame Russ at all for not knowing about the bombings.

I didnt even know the year it happened either.  I just dont view it as one of those "memorable" moments of my life and Russ is younger than I am.

Originally Posted by toine2983

Originally Posted by h3at23

What the hell was melo doing? 
laugh.gif

Can fault Melo for that last play.

He made the correct play passing out of the double team, Jeffries just fumbled the ball.

Naw, I was talking about him not going after West in the back court for intentional foul. Passing to Jeffries I understood.

First Take right now... Skip is saying Melo's performance last night is better than Lebron's 48 Game 5 against the Pistons

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by toine2983

What the hell was melo doing? 
laugh.gif

Can fault Melo for that last play.

He made the correct play passing out of the double team, Jeffries just fumbled the ball.

Naw, I was talking about him not going after West in the back court for intentional foul. Passing to Jeffries I understood.

People are so caught up in the 42 points he scored but fail to realize that he had a MAJOR brain fart in the last 4 seconds....how does that happen?  Not taking anything away from Melo because he did put the whole damn team on his back, but it's inexcusable not to know the type of situation you're in that can possibly lead to being ahead or a tie...

My roommates were 8 when Columbine occurred and they said they werent told much about it during school.  Their teachers shielded them from it.  I dont blame Russ at all for not knowing about the bombings.

I didnt even know the year it happened either.  I just dont view it as one of those "memorable" moments of my life and Russ is younger than I am.

I agree....

and there are a lot of parents who do shield their young kids from a lot that's going on in the world and I don't think that's a bad thing. 

^ He said he was too tired to run West down. Or something to that effect.

I can admit I'm trying very hard not to place the blame on him for that non-foul. The Knick fan in me is not allowing it this morning
laugh.gif
I'm trying to rationalize it with him just carrying a squad with Walker, JJ, Mason, Turiaf, Landry, TD, Carter and the Williams' and bringing them so close to victory. As wrong as I know I am and that way of thinking is today.

You're absolutely right, though. You know you have no timeouts thanks to D'Antoni maybe overusing them, you gotta leave yourself more time to get down the court.

It was a really hard loss to take last night.

Originally Posted by Proshares

^ He said he was too tired to run West down. Or something to that effect.

I can admit I'm trying very hard not to place the blame on him for that non-foul. The Knick fan in me is not allowing it this morning
laugh.gif
I'm trying to rationalize it with him just carrying a squad with Walker, JJ, Mason, Turiaf, Landry, TD, Carter and the Williams' and bringing them so close to victory. As wrong as I know I am and that way of thinking is today.

You're absolutely right, though. You know you have no timeouts thanks to D'Antoni maybe overusing them, you gotta leave yourself more time to get down the court.

It was a really hard loss to take last night.

Nah...I gotcha.  If I was a Knicks fan I can see how last night's loss was a heartbreaker.

But going back to the last 4 seconds (I'm trying to remember off-hand), it was an inbounds pass to West, right?  If Melo was that tired he should have gone closer to the post and had someone else switch out and try to chase him down for the foul.  I honestly don't think Melo knew the situation at hand.  Giving yourself at least 3 seconds to work with is more than enough time to get off a legit shot.  The 42 points are great, but that was a major blunder in the closing seconds.  

I find it interesting people haven't criticized Rose and Melo for passing the ball late in crunch time so far in the playoffs like they did LeBron in the regular season.

*shrugs*

Originally Posted by PMatic

I find it interesting people haven't criticized Rose and Melo for passing the ball late in crunch time so far in the playoffs like they did LeBron in the regular season.

*shrugs*

[h1]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...arowski_carmelo_anthony_knicks_celtics_042011[/h1]
[h1]Anthony falls short of stardom with loss[/h1]

"When Anthony had a chance to close out the game, he made the safest possible play to ultimately deflect criticism, the one that deep down he knew would free him of blame when it predictably crumbled."

Nope, they're criticizing.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

*shrugs*

[h1]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...arowski_carmelo_anthony_knicks_celtics_042011[/h1]
[h1]Anthony falls short of stardom with loss[/h1]

"When Anthony had a chance to close out the game, he made the safest possible play to ultimately deflect criticism, the one that deep down he knew would free him of blame when it predictably crumbled."
Nope, they're criticizing.

To the degree that LeBron was criticized then.
laugh.gif

*shrugs*

Edit:  Not only did I screw up the quote, but I got beat to the same article
laugh.gif

Then again, Woj hates the Knicks and Melo... but still, I've seen people on here saying Melo should have taken that last shot, but they were also the same people who probably criticized him for trying to be the hero in game 1.

For the record, he made the right play even if he's supposed to be a superstar and a leader for the team. Same when Lebron "passed up" the game winning shots for his teammates. It would have been insane if he split the defenders and went to the hoop for the win, but if he got stripped or lost the ball... he would be killed in the media this morning.

Originally Posted by DubA169

lebron was passes out of single coverage. that's why

For wide open shots for other teammates.If you're gonna dish the criticism, you better take it when it applies to your favorite player or team. The RIGHT basketball play needs to be made (such as the play last night with Melo), not the hero one. It's ridiculous how people still don't get this concept. You got teammates in this sport, use them.

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

lebron was passes out of single coverage. that's why

For wide open shots for other teammates. If you're gonna dish the criticism, you better take it when it applies to your favorite player or team. The RIGHT basketball play needs to be made (such as the play last night with Melo), not the hero one. It's ridiculous how people still don't get this concept. You got teammates in this sport, use them.

Psst....stop w. the logic. 

We'd much rather see a superstar force a shot and go for the glory than defer to a wide-open teammate. 

you asked what the difference was. there you go.

either way it doesn't matter melo is still getting criticized for passing the ball. so it happens to all "stars" not just the golden child

i agree though giving wade the ball to closeout games is definitely the smart basketball move

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

any thoughts on this:

[h6]Anthony (New York)[/h6]

Zach Randolph has been great, but why would Memphis lock him up for so much money right now? Their only potential competitor on the open market would've been the Nets, and they may stand pat so they could make a move for Dwight Howard. I don't see once free agency begins, especially under a new CBA, anyone approaching anything near that offer.
[h6]Chad Ford
  (1:21 PM)
[/h6]

Classic Grizzlies. Even when they are doing the right things on the court, they're sabotaging their future off the court. It makes no sense for a couple of reasons. 1. A new collective bargaining agreement will almost certainly lower the amount they could've offered Zach saving them money and/or years. 2. The only team with cap space that was a threat for Randolph was the Nets and I'm told they have zero interest. 3. The Grizzlies are forking out a fortune right now (Rudy Gay, Mike Conley, Randolph ... Marc Gasol on the way) for a team that's an 8th seed in the West. Gotta love Michael Heisley.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/38021

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

i agree though giving wade the ball to closeout games is definitely the smart basketball move

<Still don't get it, huh? The open player should get the shot no matter who it is.
they should but that rarely happens. They are open for a reason.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

First Take right now... Skip is saying Melo's performance last night is better than Lebron's 48 Game 5 against the Pistons

laugh.gif
The moment he said the "best forward defender in the league: Paul Pierce" I just got up and left the room
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Edit: This is a more nice post to what Chad had to say 
laugh.gif

I also thought that the Grizzlies probably could have ended up re-signing Zach for a little less, but I look at it from a risk vs. reward perspective. Ford is basically saying that the franchise should sit on its butts while the new CBA is negotiated, let Zebo eventually test the open market, and then hope that it worked out to where Memphis was able to later re-sign him in order to save a few bucks. 

Chad, this isn't exactly a role player that we're talking about. While I love Rudy, I think that Zbo is proving that he, in fact, is the cornerstone of this franchise and any thought that the Grizzlies should have let him dangle out there in order to save a few dollars is a risk that is just not worth taking. Would Dallas dangle Dirk out in the free agent market? Aldridge in Portland? etc. Also, his comments make it sound like the Grizzlies are an 8-seed that don't even deserve to be in the playoffs when in fact, there isn't a team in league right now that wants anything to do with them. On top of this, all this is without Gay.

The Grizzlies have been clicking on all cylinders for the past two months now so if Heisley wants to spend a little extra dough to make sure that we're able to get the band back together next year, then so be it.

Back
Top Bottom