OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

30t6p3b.gif

Mavs/Blazers game 2 starts at 630, I got class from 6-745.

Thursday is game 3, and it's my girls birthday that day.

Playoff scheduling fail.
Last year, I had a presentation when the Suns played Portland 1st round.  Didn't show up to class.. ended up failing the class.
happy.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by JDiddy

30t6p3b.gif

Mavs/Blazers game 2 starts at 630, I got class from 6-745.

Thursday is game 3, and it's my girls birthday that day.

Playoff scheduling fail.
Last year, I had a presentation when the Suns played Portland 1st round.  Didn't show up to class.. ended up failing the class.
happy.gif
tired.gif

indifferent.gif
 @ you. You could've at least did the presentation, told your teacher you had something important to do and left. 
laugh.gif

One thing I can say is that I'm not choosing an important class/meeting/job over a Grizz game. I may have to next Wednesday for Game 5. 

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
I was vacilating between the bulls and lakers and the heat and Lakers. Now I'm picking Heat lakers. The Blueprint to beat the Bulls has been exposed, they always have 1 or t2 people on the court that can't shoot a lick on the court at all time, if the Heat put Lebron and Wade on Rose they can neutralize him in the same way the Pacers just did.

I'll take heat in 6, and heat in 6 to beat the lakers

roll.gif
roll.gif

he put up 36 points what the hell are you talking about?

SoHi 23 wrote:
I'm not convinced Bulls can beat Magic yet.
  them bums having trouble with the hawks. if you want to talk about blue prints to beat teams the hawks have one VS the magic
Them not giving up some of the guys they had to give up reminds me of Cleveland not wanting to trade Hickson. 
laugh.gif

ya this is dumb

airmaxpenny1 wrote:  
why do you even waste your time typing about the bulls? its straight my child hood was ruined because MJ and the bulls use to $### all over my wack !#% knicks year after year bitterness. let it go. its not are fault with a team with so called great history you only have 2 champships, went to the playoffs twice in the last 10 years, has some of the biggest chokers and overrated players of all time on its all time roster and along with the clippers have been the laughing stock of the NBA for the last 10 years.

and its funny if you had got Drose like you knick fans screamed up and down you would for that draft you would be head first hanging on to his waist line screaming "THATS MY MVP"

"and its funny if you had got Drose like you knick fans screamed up and down you would for that draft you would be head first hanging on to his waist line screaming "THATS MY MVP""

Same can be said for pretty much every player.

How is that dumb? You have nothing else to say other than that? 
Cleveland didn't want to give up Hickson because he had potential and they didn't want to make any changes to the team since they were playing great. Instead..they go after Jamison who was a fail. 

In ya'll case, Chicago wanted to bring in offensive perimeter help but didn't want to trade a few bench players to get that guy. Taj Gibson barely played (if any) in this series and ya'll were holding on to him like he was gold. I could see why you want to keep Asik (for the same reason Orlando should've kept Gortat). 

Trading Taj and Korver or Brewer was not going to hurt the team as much as you may think. The team has enough defenders to spare Brewer. I mean they were trying to trade him straight up for OJ. 

Wait, so Grizzlies are gonna re-sign Gasol too? Do they have the money?

And yes, the Grizz have the money to re-sign Marc. They really don't need the money since he's a restricted FA. Next season, the Grizz will be at about $52-55M (assuming Zbo's contract is frontloaded) with Conley, OJ, Rudy, Zbo, Sam, TA, OJ, DA, Vasquez and Henry all signed. Marc will probably get about $8-10M a yr so that'll push them to $60-65M which is still less than what they have on paper this season ($70M). That will give them enough room to re-sign Shane (if they want to) or bring in a vet PG. Not to mention, OJ could still be traded.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

airmaxpenny1 wrote:  
why do you even waste your time typing about the bulls? its straight my child hood was ruined because MJ and the bulls use to $### all over my wack !#% knicks year after year bitterness. let it go. its not are fault with a team with so called great history you only have 2 champships, went to the playoffs twice in the last 2 years, has some of the biggest chokers and overrated players of all time on its all time roster and along with the clippers have been the laughing stock of the NBA for the last 10 years.

and its funny if you had got Drose like you knick fans screamed up and down you would for that draft you would be head first hanging on to his waist line screaming "THATS MY MVP"

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
I was vacilating between the bulls and lakers and the heat and Lakers. Now I'm picking Heat lakers. The Blueprint to beat the Bulls has been exposed, they always have 1 or t2 people on the court that can't shoot a lick on the court at all time, if the Heat put Lebron and Wade on Rose they can neutralize him in the same way the Pacers just did.

I'll take heat in 6, and heat in 6 to beat the lakers

roll.gif
roll.gif

he put up 36 points what the hell are you talking about?

Pacers provide clues for how to solve Bulls

If you’re like me, you’re a bit surprised about how much trouble the Pacers have given Chicago so far in their first-round series — especially in the way Indiana hung tough in Game 2 on Monday even though one of its top weapons, point guard Darren Collison, missed the entire second half with a sprained ankle.

One emerging narrative after two narrow Chicago victories suggests that the Pacers may have found something of a blueprint to thwart the Bulls. There might be something to at least pick at here. In Game 1, Indiana scored efficiently against the Bulls’ league-best defense but couldn’t stop Chicago’s middling offense. In Game 2, Indiana reversed things; the Pacers held Chicago to 98 points per 100 possessions, a rate that would have led the league this season, but they could not solve the Bulls’ defense.

The Pacers are clearly doing some things right. That shouldn’t be a total surprise, given the way their personnel matches up against the Bulls. A better team with similar personnel might be able to put together a couple of complete performances and really threaten the Bulls, right?

First, let’s take a look at what Indiana brings to this matchup:

• A long shooting guard who can check Derrick Rose. 

That would be the 6-foot-8 Paul George, who did good work hounding Rose into 11-of-25 shooting and six turnovers Monday. It seems strange to congratulate George when Rose went off for 36 points, but Chicago had to work hard to get Rose those points. George’s length took away much of Rose’s bread-and-butter action, including traditional pick-and-rolls with big screeners and those sets that see the Chicago point guard curl up from the baseline, take a screen or two and get the ball on the move at the top of the key. George went under all of those screens, forced Rose to take jumpers and used his long arms to disrupt passing lanes while they were available.

Rose had to score in other ways — by cutting backdoor after an offensive rebound, curling harder than usual on those baseline plays (so that he got the ball inside the foul line in one case), pushing the tempo and running slow late-game pick-and-rolls with Luol Deng to force a Pacers switch.

This is the Bulls’ punishment for starting Keith Bogans (and strangely playing him nearly the entire third quarter in Game 2). Bogans is not an offensive threat, a textbook “hider

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

How is that dumb? You have nothing else to say other than that? 
Cleveland didn't want to give up Hickson because he had potential and they didn't want to make any changes to the team since they were playing great. Instead..they go after Jamison who was a fail. 

In ya'll case, Chicago wanted to bring in offensive perimeter help but didn't want to trade a few bench players to get that guy. Taj Gibson barely played (if any) in this series and ya'll were holding on to him like he was gold. I could see why you want to keep Asik (for the same reason Orlando should've kept Gortat). 

Trading Taj and Korver or Brewer was not going to hurt the team as much as you may think. The team has enough defenders to spare Brewer. I mean they were trying to trade him straight up for OJ. 
   the cavs could of gave up wack @++ JJ hickson to get Amare. who is a all star and top PF in the NBA

why give up your depth at the big man postion to just get back Oj mayo or lee? why give up your elite 3 point threat to get back one of those guys?

the bulls didnt give up depth on bench to get a role player back. the cavs didnt give up wack @++ JJ hickson to get Amare back. you cant compare the 2

Bet the bank!

@NBAonESPN Referee Danny Crawford assigned to Blazers-Mavs Game 2. Mavs are 2-16 w/ Crawford in playoffs.

If it means getting Bogans off the court, then yea you do it. 
laugh.gif
 I wouldn't expect you to be too fond of OJ anyway though.
All I'm saying is you have Boozer, Noah and Thomas who are seeing the majority of the minutes in the playoffs. You will need Asik in the later rounds. Giving up Brewer and Taj wouldn't have hurt your team. You do have Bogans who is a pretty good defender and Deng. 
Maybe Korver, but it depends on how well the guy you got back shot the ball getting wide open looks off of Rose's penetration.
But, if Chicago gets a guy in the off-season to fill that void without giving up those guys then more power to them. 

Spoiler [+]
I'm not sure the NBA has ever had a player like Jason Collins, which is an amazing statement considering he has a twin brother.

But in this season in particular, Collins' uniqueness is staggering. Against 29 of the league's 30 teams, he has virtually no value. But against one particular opponent, he is solid gold.

Collins doesn't score or rebound, and he can't move all that well defensively. But he can do one thing better than anyone else in the league -- defend behemoth athletic centers. It's why he frustrated Shaquille O'Neal so much during his time with the Nets. And it's why the Atlanta Hawks have defended Orlando so ably in the teams' five meetings this season.

Atlanta won Game 1 on Saturday 103-93, beating the Magic for the fourth time in those five contests, and there were a lot of reasons for that. But paramount among them was the fact that Orlando scored only 19 points in the 18 minutes Collins was on the court compared to 74 in the 30 minutes he was off it.

This may not be immediately apparent, since Howard destroyed the likes of Josh Powell and Zaza Pachulia when Collins was off the floor en route to a career-high 46 points. Against Collins, however, he only scored 12 of them, and had six of his eight turnovers. Against the others, he had 34 points in 26 minutes while rarely turning the ball over or missing a shot. So Howard had a playoff career high "on" Collins, but most of the damage came against Atlanta's other centers.

This is the biggest difference between this year's series between the Hawks and Orlando and last year's meeting, when an out-of-shape Collins picked up multiple fouls within seconds every time he took the court, and the Magic steamrolled Atlanta in the most one-sided best-of-seven series in league history.

This year, he's the most important player in the series besides Howard, even though he finished Game 1 with one point and nary a rebound. Sure, there were one or two fleeting moments of tangential offensive value -- he threw a Russ Grimm-like lead block on Howard to enable a Kirk Hinrich baseline drive for a layup, and flopped into Howard's fifth foul while cutting through the lane early in the fourth quarter -- but basically Collins took a zero on offense, like he always does. He just has so much defensive value against this particular opponent that he's still Atlanta's most important player in the series.

For Orlando to win, the rest of the matchups have to go better. Howard won't score as much in Game 2, presumably, but the Magic's other players won't be quite as pathetic either. Orlando got 41 minutes from offensive-minded power forwards Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson and got ZERO points from them; that can't happen in Game 2, and won't. Neither will Jason Richardson's no-show (four points in 41 minutes), part of a disturbing recent trend.

But the biggest reason to expect Orlando to bounce back Tuesday is that there's no way Atlanta shoots as well in Game 2. In the regular season, the Hawks struggled to score against Orlando just as much as the Magic struggled to score against Atlanta. But on Saturday, Atlanta blistered the Magic's defense for 51.4 percent shooting, and nearly all of it came on mid-range jumpers. That's a difficult performance to sustain, and based on the full-season shooting percentages of players like Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford, they won't.

Also, in a late-developing story, Josh Smith sprained his left elbow at some point in Game 1, which could further derail the Atlanta attack. Of course, Hawks fans may spin this as a positive if it makes him more reluctant to shoot long jumpers with 18 on the shot clock.

So, in other words, expect Collins to continue having a huge impact … but don't necessarily expect the same result on the scoreboard.

I talked about the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds Monday, but Tuesday let's look at the other series involving No. 3 and No. 4 seeds:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dallas vs. Portland

If Nate McMillan was going to complain about something in Game 1, it should have been his misplaced loyalty to Brandon Roy. Roy played the entire fourth quarter despite accomplishing nothing of note; he finished 1-of-7 with two points in 26 minutes. While he assisted on three fourth-quarter baskets, his presence on the court was part of a larger problem: Portland's lack of shooters makes it an easy team to guard.

This was my one reservation when I picked Portland at the start of the series, and it played out in the opener. The Blazers shot 2-for-16 on 3s, and gave the Mavs freedom to sag on defense by leaving their only good 3-point shooter, Wesley Matthews, nailed to the bench for most of the night. Matthews led the team in 3-point makes and percentage; his 40.6 percent marksmanship made him the only player in Portland's top eight to exceed the league average in 3-point percentage.

On the other side, the Mavs benefited from a ri-Dirk-ulous closing run -- Dirk Nowitzki scored 11 points in a 2:13 stretch of the fourth quarter to effectively decide the game. Otherwise, however, the Mavs failed to overwhelm. They're unlikely to shoot 10-for-19 on 3s again, and even with that performance from long range, they failed to light up the scoreboard.

Dallas tried to speed things up with its ****** guard attack, even going with a Kidd-Barea-Terry look at one point, but they need more spark from Jason Terry and J.J. Barea than they got in Game 1. Rudy Fernandez, in particular, proved surprisingly effective guarding Barea when each side removed its starting point guard. On that front, the Mavs might also try turning up the defensive ball pressure when Andre Miller checks out, since Fernandez is hardly a natural at the point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston vs. New York

The Knicks took a lot of heat for playing through Carmelo Anthony at the end of the game, and justifiably so. Plus, it's indefensible for a mediocre long-range shooter like Anthony to take eight of his 18 shots from 3-point range. But I can understand the desire to go to him for the last shot -- Anthony has a well-documented track record of being absolutely deadly in these situations. Also, this may not have mattered had two crucial calls not gone against New York in the preceding seconds.

What nobody is talking about, however, are the shocking rebounding stats. Boston got 15 offensive boards out of 36 misses (41.7 percent), essentially winning them the game on the offensive glass. What makes that so shocking is that the Celtics were far and away the league's worst offensive rebounding team in the regular season, often barely bothering to contest boards and instead running back on D. Boston got only 21.1 percent of its own misses in the regular season, compared to the league average of 26.4 percent; in Game 1, the Celtics doubled that rate.

Of course, this is more easily accomplished against the Knicks than some other clubs. New York was just 27th in protecting the defensive boards, gaining possession on only 71.9 percent of opponent misses. Obviously, New York has to control the defensive glass better in Game 2.

The other big question is what can the Knicks do without Chauncey Billups? This is whether the lack of depth in the wake of the Anthony trade really hurts them, and leaves New York heavily dependent on rookie Landry Fields. Toney Douglas will be fine -- an upgrade defensively but a downgrade offensively -- but the Knicks are short a backcourt player if Fields no-shows like he did in Game 1 (no points, 1 rebounds in 19 minutes). He'll likely need to play 35 to 40 minutes in Game 2, because the alternatives are the offensively inert Anthony Carter or the defensively flammable Bill Walker.

Oklahoma City vs. Denver

My focus in Game 2 will be on the guards. Raymond Felton and Ty Lawson both are playing on ankles that they sprained in the days before Game 1, but each should be in better shape by tipoff Wednesday night after having two days off. Additionally, we may see more of the two in combination than we did Sunday, especially if they show they can battle Russell Westbrook (31 points) more effectively.

As much as Kevin Durant killed them, Nuggets coach George Karl said at Monday's practice that he felt Westbrook's big game was as much of a factor. Several of Durant's shots were difficult looks, and the Nuggets just had to shrug their shoulders and say "Well done," but Denver felt it could have made Westbrook work harder if its guards were more confident in their ankles and guarded him closer, and that they need a bit more help from the big men on the pick-and-roll so Westbrook didn't have quite so much space to shoot a jumper when the guard goes under the screen.

The other wrinkle we may see is the Nuggets using more size against Westbrook. Ideally, Karl would like to use Arron Afflalo on Westbrook, but his hamstring is likely to keep him out for Game 2 and probably far beyond. Instead, we may see Wilson Chandler guarding Westbrook while Danilo Gallinari or Kenyon Martin checks Durant.

Whatever the alignment, Karl seemed confident of tone thing -- "I don't think Westbrook and Durant will get [72] points in four games," he said in a low voice, indicating that if the Thunder were going to beat them in this series, they would still need to find new ways to do it. He's probably correct in that assessment, but the Thunder won't get only nine points from the other three starters either.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Bet the bank!

@NBAonESPN Referee Danny Crawford assigned to Blazers-Mavs Game 2. Mavs are 2-16 w/ Crawford in playoffs.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I just might......

airmaxpenny1 wrote:  
why do you even waste your time typing about the bulls? its straight my child hood was ruined because MJ and the bulls use to $### all over my wack !#% knicks year after year bitterness. let it go. its not are fault with a team with so called great history you only have 2 champships, went to the playoffs twice in the last 10 years, has some of the biggest chokers and overrated players of all time on its all time roster and along with the clippers have been the laughing stock of the NBA for the last 10 years.

You know I was going to respond to this, but I was just more taken back by the fact that you could write more than 3 sentences while only $%%!*%@ up the spelling of one word (bolded above).  I'm proud of you Mike
pimp.gif

And you got butthurt cause I basically said Heat/Celtswould beat the Bulls in a playoff series. What does that have to do with my sorry #%@ Knicks? Those are two independent things.  Someone is a lil' butthurt
laugh.gif

Bet the bank!

http://www.dallasnews.com...nny-Crawford-is-4799.ece

We're doomed. We're gonna lose by 30 tonight.
30t6p3b.gif

Danny Crawford is the devil.

Also, congratulations to LO, dude deserved it.
pimp.gif

like i said in the other thread this is just the nba trying to repair some of the damage the refs image has been taking this playoffs. they throwing you a bone.

the mavs will win. people will lay off the whole nba is rigged schtick. the nba is happy

refs did the blazers dirty in game 1 tho

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Bet the bank!

http://www.dallasnews.com...nny-Crawford-is-4799.ece

We're doomed. We're gonna lose by 30 tonight.
30t6p3b.gif

Danny Crawford is the devil.

Also, congratulations to LO, dude deserved it.
pimp.gif

like i said in the other thread this is just the nba trying to repair some of the damage the refs image has been taking this playoffs. they throwing you a bone.

the mavs will win. people will lay off the whole nba is rigged schtick. the nba is happy

refs did the blazers dirty in game 1 tho
Hmmmm Vegas has the Mavs at -3.5................ I really don't know who to take
30t6p3b.gif
Ahh this indecision is killing me
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom