OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

If he's not going to sell the team, he needs to take on another partner, or sell ownership shares.

I'm assuming he has no backup plans.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Is there any Fan-owned MLB franchise? A la Green Bay Packers?

I think Green Bay was able to achieve that, because they have like a population of 50,000 
laugh.gif

Nonetheless, it has to be one of the coolest things in sports IMO, to be a fan of a team that's owned by the fans.
pimp.gif

Also, RIP to Willie Davis
frown.gif

Updated: March 9, 2010, 6:06 PM ET

[h2]Former Dodger Davis dies
[/h2]
BURBANK, Calif. -- Willie Davis, a speedy center fielder whocollected two World Series rings, three Gold Gloves and was a two-timeAll-Star during his 14 seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has died. He was 69.
Davis was found dead Tuesday in his Burbank home, said Burbank police Sgt. Robert Quesada.

Policetold the Los Angeles Times that a neighbor found Davis' body. A causeof death was not immediately released, but police said they did notbelieve foul play was involved.

"He was beloved by generations ofDodger fans and remains one of the most talented players ever to wearthe Dodger uniform. Having spent time with him over the past six years,I know how proud he was to have been a Dodger. He will surely be missedand our sincere thoughts are with his children during this difficulttime," Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said in a statement.

Davis'teammates included Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Johnny Roseboro, JuniorGilliam and Maury Wills. He won his World Series rings in 1963 and 1965.

The Dodgers lost the 1966 series 4-0 to the Baltimore Orioles.In Game 2 of that series, in the last game of Koufax's pitching career,Davis committed a Fall Classic-record three errors in one inning whenhe lost one fly ball in the sun, dropped the next one, then overthrewthird base.

During the 1965 World Series, Davis stole three basesin one inning, including one where he had to crawl into second baseafter stumbling and falling.

Davis left the Dodgers in 1973 and went on to play for the Montreal Expos, Texas Rangers, St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres and California Angels.

He retired after the 1979 season with a career .279 average and 398 stolen bases.

Daviswas born in Mineral Springs, Ark., in 1940 and moved to Los Angeleswith his family when he was still a boy. He attended Roosevelt HighSchool where he was a world class sprinter.

He was recruited bythe Dodgers and signed with them when he graduated in 1958, McCourtsaid. Two years later, he was in the majors. In 1961, he replaced DukeSnider in center field.

Davis still holds six team records. He isthe franchise leader in hits (2,091), extra-base hits (585), at-bats(7,495), runs (1,004), triples (110) and total bases (3,094).

He set a team record in 1969 with a 31-game hitting streak. He had more than 20 stolen bases in 11 consecutive seasons.

Davis,known to Dodgers fans as "Three-Dog," appeared in a few televisionshows, including "The Flying Nun" and "Mister Ed," usually as himself.

RIP to Willie Davis.

I don't think after all that is being revealed that the McCourt ownership will be in place for too long.  They are a walking PR nightmare.  Any love they gained from the fans from making to NLCS runs is now out the window.

They have failed numerous times to put up the capital to make the moves that it takes to get over the hump.  Pillaging the farm system is not the answer.  Trading away Carlos Santana for Casey Blake is absurd, just because you don't want to pick up the tab on Blake's remaining salary.  Trading away Tony Abreu for 6 starts of Jon Garland is absurd just because you can't pick up the tab on Garland's remaining salary.  Falling out of the Cliff Lee sweepstakes because you want the Indians to pick up the remaining $2 million in Lee's 2009 salary...
smh.gif

You can't continue running the Dodgers as if you are the Oakland A's.  Sure our TV deal is terrible, and it is only terrible because in order for the McCourts to gain ownership Fox kept all the leverage in TV rights.

This ownership venture has been terrible.  The people to blame are the other owners that approved this sale, and Bud Selig.  At least privately Selig has expressed his regret of handing over the Chavez Ravine keys to the McCourts.

I just can't wait for it to end, it is only a matter of time.  Will it be too late?  Will Kemp, Ethier, Broxton, Billingsley, Loney, etc. be gone by then?  The much touted core will have to be paid soon, and I don't think McBroke will be able to afford these guys especially once Jamie gets her piece.

It sucks because we are so close.

The Taxes thing bugs me, not because the McCourts are doing it, but because every rich @%%+!@% does it.  I'm mad at the IRS and US Government for bending over the middle class (25% of your income if you make over $33k
smh.gif
) consistently.  Yet, there are so many loopholes that only the wealthy can weasel their way through.

On top of that one of the good loopholes that we have (Claiming other people's kids
laugh.gif
), the government wants to crack down on since it is a problem....
laugh.gif
  Hypocrisy, the McCourts LEGALLY raked in $108 million in income without being taxed.....LEGALLY!  Yet Uncle Sam is mad that someone is making $1500-2500
smh.gif

for those who like the retro/satin jackets, mitchell & ness has 50% off today so it comes out to $100
5411_413_ALADGH_W.jpg

I can't wait until M&N finally does the jersey I really want.  I will scoop it up instantly.

An away 1988 World Series Orel Hershiser jersey.  I don't know if they will ever make one.

We all know about the Kirk Gibson HR, and it is tempting to get that jersey for $125, but I know if it wasn't for Orel Hershiser we don't win the 1988 Series.  Hell, we don't even get past the Mets in the NLCS (Cy Young, NLCS and WS MVP
smokin.gif
)

Looks like Blake DeWitt will be named the starting second baseman soon....
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
 go to dodger stadium and you see a bunch of  nitchell and mess jerseys everywhere
from fernando to strawberry to piazza
and they all have a "hook up" that can get you any jersey for $80

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

laugh.gif
 go to dodger stadium and you see a bunch of  nitchell and mess jerseys everywhere

mitchell and ness made a strawberry dodgers jersey?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
one of my friends has a fake fernando.  hes in denial that its a bootleg and a crappy bootleg at that.

i don't even argue with my friends or people i know when it comes to that stuff no more, if they think the stuff they got is real and if they think the players actually wear that low quality swapmeet indoor garbage they got from their "hookup" for $80 is real then good for them

whats sad is that he paid about $120 for it,  if you do your homework on whats legit and whats not, you can find legit authentics for far less then that

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
one of my friends has a fake fernando.  hes in denial that its a bootleg and a crappy bootleg at that.

i don't even argue with my friends or people i know when it comes to that stuff no more, if they think the stuff they got is real and if they think the players actually wear that low quality swapmeet indoor garbage they got from their "hookup" for $80 is real then good for them

whats sad is that he paid about $120 for it,  if you do your homework on whats legit and whats not, you can find legit authentics for far less then that

roll.gif

I gave my boy a home Authentic coolbase I bought during the big offseason sale for Christmas. On the other side of the tree I see his uncle gave him a "fernando" M&N jersey, all I could say was "aww allrite" . My dude isn't frugal he's got money so why his uncle gave him something like that was
grin.gif
but i'm not calling out names either.

But yeah, it's because of this nonsense that I don't rock my Valenzuela jersey anymore.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

laugh.gif

Nah, I was referring to bootleg ones you see at the stadium. But I have a hook up who can get it for you for $70
laugh.gif

I wouldn't rock a Fernando either
laugh.gif

there are way too many fakes during any game at Dodger Stadium. They are an eyesore.

Some of the manny's don't even have the right font on the letters or numbers yet people still rock it. I will post it up later when I'm on a comp. But it's the same manny jersey worn by all the cholos. It's their uniform.

^haha my brother just got one for his Bday I was like.....uhhh.....yeah that's nice lol

I'm with you though ironman on the rich-man's tax free living.

The reason I ask PMAC about the loan thing is from my understanding they've been able to write off all their bad investments which has essentially totaled $108M.

It is LEGALLY right because it is their investments, which is the loophole for all these rich idiots that don't know how to invest properly.

We need a tax reform bad, but will their be change? !%%+, I doubt it because all this %%!@ is corrupt. Yes, I'm irked.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

laugh.gif

Nah, I was referring to bootleg ones you see at the stadium. But I have a hook up who can get it for you for $70
laugh.gif

i got a hookup to get dodger authentics for $25   its called aj wright
laugh.gif

on ebay theres a seller, his ebay name is ptfsports    he has a bunch of mlb authentic overstock and it usually sells for dirt cheap. his stuff is legit though and i can vouch for that,  i've gotten alot of my mets stuff from there, but i won a grey road dodgers authentic,  the older style they wore from 1999-2006 for $20.50.   its funny how i can get legit stuff from him for $20-30 but the swapmeets want $80-100 for the bootlegs they sell.

now kemp bats outta order and gets a triple
roll.gif

bright nikes wrote:
MrJ when you going back to Vegas?
im either going the weekend before memorial day weekend (graduation
pimp.gif
) or the june 12th weekend, depends on what days i/my gf can get off

Cedric it's because they think eBay= authentic
laugh.gif
. I hate to laugh at someones ignorance but hey just don't know that eBay is littered with fakes

"this %*+$ is legit holmes, I got it on eBay dag!"

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom