OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

what are the chances of still seeing residue/outline if you strip it?

i was thinking bout buying this earlier for $6.99
laugh.gif

6091_1_sbol.JPG

6034_1_sbol.JPG
yo if you dont want, let me know where i can score that.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/dodgers-sign-pitcher-from-tryout-camp.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Sign Pitcher From Tryout Camp[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [March 4 at 5:31pm CST]

The Dodgers have signed righthanded reliever Ricardo "Ricky" Rivas to a minor league contract, according to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick. Rivas was the only player out of 85 to receive a deal out after participating in a tryout camp at Camelback Ranch-Glendale.

The26-year-old Rivas spent last season with the El Paso Diablos ofthe independent American Association, where he posted a 4.82 ERA with a5.5 K/9 and a 3.4 BB/9 in 37.1 innings. A 48th round pick of thePirates in 2004, Rivas didn't sign and instead headed to Oklahoma Statebefore jumping into the indy ranks.

laugh.gif
how often does this happen?

They had to trade Bell, plus since we have a young third baseman that is going to be a cornerstone of the organization for the next 5-6 years it made Bell expendable....

wait.......

Casey Blake is going to be 37 this year....

a06d6511959442f1a81840ca31622fb4.jpg

Billingsley - Historically great first half pitcher.  Can he put it together for a whole season and avoid a collapse?  Thats another question.

There is no question that he was awful the second half of 2009, but I don't get this statement.  Especially since he started the first half of 2008 season 9-8 w/ a 3.25 ERA and finished with a 7-2 w/ 2.99 ERA in the second half.  He had one bad season, a season where he had a scorching first half that earned him an All Star nod.  He burned out, he's been called out because of his conditioning.

Padilla - Was exceptional for you guys down the stretch last year.  But this is the same Padilla that has a history of mid 4s ERA and a below average WHIP. Will he be the pitcher he was at the end of last year, or the pitcher he has been his whole career?
If he is somewhere in the middle, wouldn't he be a good option at #4.

For some perspective, let's look at the early NL Favorite Philadelphia Phillies:

Roy Halladay- A true Ace.

Cole Hamels- Had as many issues, if not more than Billingsley did last year.

Joe Blanton- Innings eater, that gets tagged often

JA Happ- Still very young and raw.

Jamie Moyer- Did you know the first batter he ever faced was Ty Cobb?

What I'm saying is people are overblowing it, especially the media.  Pitching is scarce all over MLB.  Mostly every rotation has questions.

I understand your point IM. Every team has question marks. I just PERSONALLY feel that watching the Dodgers in the past two playoffs, my NUMBER ONE goal of the offseason would be to address the starting pitching. You guys didnt do that. You havent had a true ace on your staff for the past two seasons, and you got bounced out of the playoffs.

Same thing goes with the Giants. If we have the same stellar pitching again this coming year, and we miss the playoffs again, I am going to be pissed. We are wasting a great pitching staff. And thats how I felt watching the Dodgers the past two seasons. You have one of the best lineups in baseball, and you supplement that with pitching that wont win come playoff time. At some point, your hitting might not be as strong as its been the past two years. For your guys sake, I would hate to see your great lineup go to waste. (Just like I dont want to see our great pitching go to waste, similar to how we let the best hitter of this generation go to waste without giving him help).

you would think with all that cash that he would fly private. must be trying to look poor. dude does dress well though, i will give him that.

You make a valid point about the Dodgers not having a "true ace." Assuming we're talking about a guy who's one of the 10 best pitchers in baseball. The thing is that those guys are hard to come by, and impossible to come buy when your owners are getting a divorce.

The thing that gets me is that the names in the rotation don't matter when you consider the numbers they put up. Kershaw had the 8th best ERA in all of baseball and his stats after the beginning of May are absolutely absurd. Wolf is a big loss, but he had a career year and if he were to have been brought back I would have expected a regression.

So yeah, the Dodgers have question marks in the rotation, but so does pretty much every team in baseball. The other thing is, there question marks are a lot smaller than a lot of teams.

I also think you're giving the offense far too much credit. The Dodgers tied the Giants for 611 runs allowed last year which was first in the majors. They scored 780 which was 11th. The pitching was very good all season long, it's just that a lot of the guys weren't big media names so they call them question marks.

My guess is that the Dodgers pitching gets a little worse and the offense gets a little better. We'll see if any of the other teams in the NL West can catch up.

I understand your point IM. Every team has question marks. I just PERSONALLY feel that watching the Dodgers in the past two playoffs, my NUMBER ONE goal of the offseason would be to address the starting pitching. You guys didnt do that. You havent had a true ace on your staff for the past two seasons, and you got bounced out of the playoffs.
The problem is that it is difficult to address starting pitching when there is none available.  I wish Wolf the best, but I don't think he can duplicate what he did last year for the next three seasons.  A three year contract for a pitcher with a deep injury history is not a smart move, the Brewers didn't learn from overpaying Jeff Suppan.

It would've been dumb to give up the farm to get Roy Halladay, considering that he only had one year left on his deal and he wanted to remain on the East Coast or with a team that has ST in Florida.  They also had to give up Cliff Lee.  Roy Halladay is a better pitcher than Cliff Lee, but will he duplicate the dominance Lee had in his short stint as a Phillie.

There were rumors that we were players for Lee at the deadline, and more rumors that the Blue Jays wanted to bring us into the trade discussion.  However, at that point would it would've been absurd for the Phillies to give us the possible piece that gets us over the hump, that hump being the Phillies.

We don't have a "true ace" right now, but you have to like the potential of the 1-2 punch we might have if Kershaw builds on last season and Billingsley duplicates the year he had from the second half of 2008 to the All Star break in 2009 .

Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Tim Lincecum don't grow on trees, you can only hope you have someone to develop (Kershaw, Billingsley).

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/dodgers-remain-interested-in-braden-looper.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Remain Interested In Braden Looper[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 5 at 8:36am CST]

The Dodgers remain interested in free agent pitcher Braden Looper, but they're not willing to offer him more than a minor league deal, according to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick. They would like to add the 35-year-old righty to the group of starters competing for the final spot in the team's rotation.

Agent Alan Hendricks tells Gurnick that Looper is staying in shape, waiting for an offer he likes. A few months ago Looper said he'd like to play for the Cubs. Since then, he has told the Nationals he's going in a different direction.

Loopermade at least 30 starts for the third consecutive season last year,logging 194.2 innings. He struck out 4.6 K/9 with 3.0 BB/9 for a 5.22ERA.

lineup for today's ST opener
Furcal SS
Kemp CF
Ethier RF
 Ramirez DH
Loney 1B
Blake 3B
DeWitt 2B
 Martin C
Johnson LF
 Padilla RHP

I want the Dodgers to draft this kid:

blash_47.jpg

Jabari Blash, of, Miami-Dade (Fla.) JC
Looking for a raw, five-tool talent? Jabari Blash is your man. TheVirgin Islands product didn't even start for Miami-Dade JC when theseason began but had 10 homers in his first 99 at-bats. Blash is apremium athlete whose best tool is his 70 arm, and at 6-foot-5, 210pounds, he's a tool shed with untapped above-average ability across theboard. He's green, having played little in his homeland and havingmissed the 2008 season as an academic casualty at Alcorn State, buthe's making up for lost time and the lack of position-player talentthis year could push him into the top five rounds.
He was a 9th round pick this past year by the Rangers but didn't sign.

Get on it Ned. Virgin Islands FTW
pimp.gif

I know i'm in enemy territory, but as a giants fan, what are the chances of me getting shot or stabbed at Dodger stadium if i go when the giants play the dodgers? Should i complete my will before i go?

Thanks! lol

Originally Posted by DJ iD4

I know i'm in enemy territory, but as a giants fan, what are the chances of me getting shot or stabbed at Dodger stadium if i go when the giants play the dodgers? Should i complete my will before i go?

Thanks! lol

you'll get a bunch of crap from drunk cholos and a few things thrown at you possibly.   just keep a low profile though,  go and cheer for your team but don't start running your mouth if the giants do good or win because theirs a ton of dodger fans.

also if you sit in the good seats you won't have to worry about this as much

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Thanks! lol

you'll get a bunch of crap from drunk cholos and a few things thrown at you possibly.   just keep a low profile though,  go and cheer for your team but don't start running your mouth if the giants do good or win because theirs a ton of dodger fans.

Thanks!  Yeah i'm looking at maybe $100 tickets for the games. The price is worth not losing a limb due to it being ripped out in a brawl!

Thanks! lol

If I were you, I would not sit in the bleachers.  If you have decent to good seats, you will be heckled the entire game, but unless you fire back, you wont be in danger of being hurt.  I went to game three of a three game series a couple years ago in Dodger stadium, that the Giants ended up sweeping.  I wore my Bonds jersey, and aside from hearing steroid accusations, San Francisco = Gay smacktalk, and normal/typical hate for a fan of an opposing team, there really were no issues.  Just be humble and cheer....and avoid talking smack back to the Dodger fans, regardless of how the game is going.
And dont get bleacher seats.  You should be all good.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

Thanks! lol

Thanks!  Yeah i'm looking at maybe $100 tickets for the games. The price is worth not losing a limb due to it being ripped out in a brawl!

Yeah dude, don't do the bleachers, top deck, reserve or anything like that. 

Get the baller seats, and you will be good.   You don't have to worry about the "Gangstas" and their baby mamma's yanking your eyes out.

[h5] http://www.truebluela.com/2010/3/5/1359415/the-mccourt-divorce-brings-a-hefty#[/h5]
[h5]honestly, the more I hear about this the more pissed off I get [/h5]
To listen to these people’s divorce is really annoying

Im still hoping this causes them to sell the team… I’ll call Eli Broad, someone call Mark Cuban
smile.gif

by lakersdodgersyankees4life on Mar 5, 2010 9:45 PM PST reply actions   0 recs
http://
[h5] [/h5]
Whenpeople suggest Broad as a Dodger owner, I don’t know whether to laughor cry. I can’t for the life of me determine what makes people think hewould care about the team in the field.

by JonWeisman on Mar 5, 2010 10:33 PM PST via mobile up reply actions   0 recs
[h5] The money that he put into downtown LA [/h5]
Andthe amount he has spent doing programs that help the poorer LAcitizens. He was rumored to be interested when they were for sale in 04and I believe his name came up last Oct, shortly after the divorcestuff came out.

Think of it from his perspective. He buys a young talented team thatis already in contention, has a fairly solid staff and a good MiLBsystem. He can sign the young stars to long term deals and work out adeal with the Angels(his name evades me right now) for the TV rights.They could have a baseball dynasty with not one, but two competitveteams, in seperate leagues to control most if So Cal.

Given that he has always been a sports fan, specifically theDodgers, I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to own the team and field acompetitive one…

by lakersdodgersyankees4life on Mar 5, 2010 11:51 PM PST via mobile up reply actions   0 recs
[h5] Sorry for the double post [/h5]
ButI should mention that I feel he will be different than FOX, Disney(forthe Angels) or the McCourts. The reason is simple… He had cold hardcash that he has showed he is willing to put into the city of LAbecause of La Live… The 3 owners I mentioned were either bigcorporations that owned a team to say they own the team and/or to makemoney(remember, fox got the TV deals, while Disney was able to pair theDucks and Angels) or had everything borrowed on credit… Neither is away to run a proffessional team and I do not believe Broad would haveeither of these problems

by lakersdodgersyankees4life on Mar 5, 2010 11:56 PM PST via mobile up reply actions   0 recs
http:// [h5] [/h5]
L.A.Live is not some altruistic endeavor, and the Dodgers are not the sameas disadvantaged schoolchildren. Broad has done some great things forthe city, but there is nothing to indicate that a winning sports teamwould be something he’d prioritize. Add in the fact that he is prone torethink major commitments … I think his white knighthood would wear offfast.

If all it took to be a good baseball owner was cash, past businesssuccess and some big donations, a lot of teams would be happier thanthey are now. But it’s not like that formula correlates with baseballsuccess.

just something I saw that I thought was an interesting exchange at TBLA.

Todays game is on FSN @ noon, I think.

Yo Pmac you're still on twitter? Hit up Cuban - I've heard he responds back to fans.

smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom