**Official 2010 NY knicks pre-season thread** 10/6 vs T-wolves (PARIS) 2PM MSG/NBA TV

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Again what are they gaining from saying NY then to somewhere else? Publicity of him wanting to be traded?

any pub is good pub to them. who was talking about chris paul before a week ago? dude hasn't played in how long? now his name has been everywhere for half a week. you think a rumor that says chris paul wants to be traded and portland is the number one team gets anywhere near the same amount of media attention?

spurning the advances of new york never hurts with the general public either."CP realized he couldn't win in NYC and picked winning (orlando) over money and fame" or "picked loyalty over money and fame and decided to not force a trade to NYC he will just stay with the hornets."

i saw them feed the media BS sources for an entire month, this is the only thing these amateurs know how to do at the moment.
So LRMR has Paul doing this for publicity? To increase Paul's fame by saying he didn't pursue fame and money by going to NY and some good press?

That's what they want?

To be clear NY media been talking about Paul coming here. It just increased when it was known he wanted out of NO before the season started. The possibility of getting Paul was brought up in articles in the scenario we didn't get LeBron.

yes that's what i think they want. He hasn't been visible in a long time. Even the people on ESPN have been calling deron williams the best point guard for a while. out of sight out of mind.

this isn't some well established company, it's lebron's boy from back in the day with some power. why should i treat them as some reputable company after the entire month of BS sources they fed to people and how badly they handled his decision?

yes that's what i think they want. He hasn't been visible in a long time. Even the people on ESPN have been calling deron williams the best point guard for a while. out of sight out of mind.

this isn't some well established company, it's lebron's boy from back in the day with some power. why should i treat them as some reputable company after the entire month of BS sources they fed to people and how badly they handled his decision?

Knicks atop the wish list one day and the next day they are not. Chris Broussard is reporting this....smh. I have learned to not the trust Chris Broussards sources anymore and still believe the Knicks have good as a chance as anyone to land Paul.

Knicks atop the wish list one day and the next day they are not. Chris Broussard is reporting this....smh. I have learned to not the trust Chris Broussards sources anymore and still believe the Knicks have good as a chance as anyone to land Paul.

You guys know that NO doesn't have to trade him. He has 2 years left. He has no pull. All NO has to do is look at how LA handled Kobe a couple of years ago.

DubA, I seriously don't see how saying NY is a landing spot for CP3 benefits him any more than the simple fact that CP wants to be traded. And to my knowledge, He hasn't said anything publicly because he'd get fined by the league. It's his "people" doing all the talking.

I'd love to have CP3 in NYC running the pick and roll with Stat, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

You guys know that NO doesn't have to trade him. He has 2 years left. He has no pull. All NO has to do is look at how LA handled Kobe a couple of years ago.

DubA, I seriously don't see how saying NY is a landing spot for CP3 benefits him any more than the simple fact that CP wants to be traded. And to my knowledge, He hasn't said anything publicly because he'd get fined by the league. It's his "people" doing all the talking.

I'd love to have CP3 in NYC running the pick and roll with Stat, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Q: What the Knicks and everyone else should have realized is that nobody cares about their history or playing in MSG. The only thing athletes care about is playing somewhere warm and having enough space to put their 10,000 sq ft mansion and huge swimming pool for their entourage. Nobody cares about New York City any more. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Orlando and of course Miami are much more attractive destinations for modern athletes.
-- David, San Francisco

SG: This goes back to Colin Cowherd's Notre Dame Corollary: Everyone older than 35 is amazed that Notre Dame's football team isn't good, but really, if you're a high school recruit, it's not like you would ever know that Notre Dame was good. You grew up hearing about Miami, Florida and USC ... so those are the schools for which you would want to play. The Knicks have been relevant twice in the past 30 years: the Bernard era (1983-84) and the Ewing era (1989, 1992-1995, 1999). They haven't won a title since 1973. If you're LeBron James -- only 25 years old, remember nothing before Jordan's Bulls -- what's special for him about the Knicks other than the bright lights and that ubiquitous Jay-Z song? Nothing. Sad but true.

What do you guys think?
I can't lie. I sort of agree with this. NYC hasn't done JACK $%!@ in terms of bball for a minute now. Even back when they were beasting, the Knicks always ended up on the short end of the stick. I'm not a Knicks fan, but I've repeatedly said that I'd LOVE to see winning ball return to NYC. A lot of young kids growing up are looking at the Knicks like the Clippers. As in, they want NO PARTS of playing here. Add in the fact that the media acts ridiculous half the time and the fans act brain-dead the other half, it would certainly be no surprise to learn that LA, Florida, and even Texas have moved ahead of NYC as far as desirable destinations go.
smh.gif

Also, with an incompetent owner like Dolan running the team, why exactly would a free agent or hotshot rookie be dying to come here??

And Master Zik, your recent posts are appreciated.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Q: What the Knicks and everyone else should have realized is that nobody cares about their history or playing in MSG. The only thing athletes care about is playing somewhere warm and having enough space to put their 10,000 sq ft mansion and huge swimming pool for their entourage. Nobody cares about New York City any more. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Orlando and of course Miami are much more attractive destinations for modern athletes.
-- David, San Francisco

SG: This goes back to Colin Cowherd's Notre Dame Corollary: Everyone older than 35 is amazed that Notre Dame's football team isn't good, but really, if you're a high school recruit, it's not like you would ever know that Notre Dame was good. You grew up hearing about Miami, Florida and USC ... so those are the schools for which you would want to play. The Knicks have been relevant twice in the past 30 years: the Bernard era (1983-84) and the Ewing era (1989, 1992-1995, 1999). They haven't won a title since 1973. If you're LeBron James -- only 25 years old, remember nothing before Jordan's Bulls -- what's special for him about the Knicks other than the bright lights and that ubiquitous Jay-Z song? Nothing. Sad but true.

What do you guys think?
I can't lie. I sort of agree with this. NYC hasn't done JACK $%!@ in terms of bball for a minute now. Even back when they were beasting, the Knicks always ended up on the short end of the stick. I'm not a Knicks fan, but I've repeatedly said that I'd LOVE to see winning ball return to NYC. A lot of young kids growing up are looking at the Knicks like the Clippers. As in, they want NO PARTS of playing here. Add in the fact that the media acts ridiculous half the time and the fans act brain-dead the other half, it would certainly be no surprise to learn that LA, Florida, and even Texas have moved ahead of NYC as far as desirable destinations go.
smh.gif

Also, with an incompetent owner like Dolan running the team, why exactly would a free agent or hotshot rookie be dying to come here??

And Master Zik, your recent posts are appreciated.

^No disagreement with your points regarding Dolan but you gotta throw that notion that no free agent wants to come here when Amare has come here and showed that he wanted to play here. This goes to what I say with earlier with Knicks fans being used to such negativity in the past that they are not appreciating that things are changing and players want to come here and we actually are in a position to acquire them.

^No disagreement with your points regarding Dolan but you gotta throw that notion that no free agent wants to come here when Amare has come here and showed that he wanted to play here. This goes to what I say with earlier with Knicks fans being used to such negativity in the past that they are not appreciating that things are changing and players want to come here and we actually are in a position to acquire them.

FF23, you're absolutely right. Amare signing here is a step in the right direction.

But let's not fool ourselves. He came with the notion that the Knicks would be signing, if not LBJ, then some other max free agent. On top of that, his relationship with Damphony and familiarity with the offense surely made his decision a bit easier to make.

Someone said it in some other thread. No matter how many good moves the Knicks make, in the back of your mind you get the feeling that they (Dolan mainly) will @+## things up somehow.

FF23, you're absolutely right. Amare signing here is a step in the right direction.

But let's not fool ourselves. He came with the notion that the Knicks would be signing, if not LBJ, then some other max free agent. On top of that, his relationship with Damphony and familiarity with the offense surely made his decision a bit easier to make.

Someone said it in some other thread. No matter how many good moves the Knicks make, in the back of your mind you get the feeling that they (Dolan mainly) will @+## things up somehow.

July 23, 2010, 9:17 pm
Paul Hasn’t Yet Done the Full LeBron
By HOWARD BECK

Chris Paul’s rumored desire to leave New Orleans has drawn instant parallels to LeBron James’s leap from Cleveland to Miami. The comparisons are natural.

Both players have been frustrated as solo acts. James moved to Miami to find All-Star help. Paul is reportedly seeking a trade because he wants to team with an established star. James and Paul share a close friendship, as well as some advisers.

However, Paul has not hired James’s marketing firm — at least, not yet.

Multiple news outlets, including The New York Times, have reported that Paul is working with LRMR, the company founded by James and his friend Maverick Carter. Paul was taken aback by the reports, according to a league official who spoke with him on Friday.

Although he is considering LRMR, Paul said he had not yet made a decision, according to the official, who asked to remain anonymous to protect their relationship.

Paul cut ties with his longtime agency, Octagon, earlier this month. He has hired one significant member of James’s circle: Leon Rose, an agent with C.A.A. Rose is close to William Wesley, a confidant to several N.B.A. players, including James.

That Paul would be sensitive to comparisons is understandable. James has been universally criticized for the way he handled his free agency and for choosing to announce his decision on a one-hour television special called “The Decision.

July 23, 2010, 9:17 pm
Paul Hasn’t Yet Done the Full LeBron
By HOWARD BECK

Chris Paul’s rumored desire to leave New Orleans has drawn instant parallels to LeBron James’s leap from Cleveland to Miami. The comparisons are natural.

Both players have been frustrated as solo acts. James moved to Miami to find All-Star help. Paul is reportedly seeking a trade because he wants to team with an established star. James and Paul share a close friendship, as well as some advisers.

However, Paul has not hired James’s marketing firm — at least, not yet.

Multiple news outlets, including The New York Times, have reported that Paul is working with LRMR, the company founded by James and his friend Maverick Carter. Paul was taken aback by the reports, according to a league official who spoke with him on Friday.

Although he is considering LRMR, Paul said he had not yet made a decision, according to the official, who asked to remain anonymous to protect their relationship.

Paul cut ties with his longtime agency, Octagon, earlier this month. He has hired one significant member of James’s circle: Leon Rose, an agent with C.A.A. Rose is close to William Wesley, a confidant to several N.B.A. players, including James.

That Paul would be sensitive to comparisons is understandable. James has been universally criticized for the way he handled his free agency and for choosing to announce his decision on a one-hour television special called “The Decision.

laugh.gif
Maybe cuz he just heard about it. You think LeBron was actually aware of every rumor, report, article about him last month?

laugh.gif
Maybe cuz he just heard about it. You think LeBron was actually aware of every rumor, report, article about him last month?

laugh.gif
so multiple sources including the NY Times made up a story that CP hired LRMR? That seems odd.

Also i know athletes don't pay as much attention to the media, but I have to assume that someone who works for CP monitors national reports. this wasn't some random kid on a forum who reported that he hired LRMR.

laugh.gif
so multiple sources including the NY Times made up a story that CP hired LRMR? That seems odd.

Also i know athletes don't pay as much attention to the media, but I have to assume that someone who works for CP monitors national reports. this wasn't some random kid on a forum who reported that he hired LRMR.

It's called the instant-information age.

As soon as something pops up on Twitter or on some blog, people run with it as if it's the gospel.

There was a story a while back about some newspaper using Wiki as a credible source. Turns out that the Wiki article was inaccurate. But by the time the story got printed, everyone had already - wrongly - spread the word about the story being true.

Reporters rarely ask athletes for direct quotes or for confirmation on a rumor these days.

It's sort of like the "Nike will pay LBJ more money if he signs in NYC" story. No one has EVER confirmed it. Yet it is always quoted as fact.
smh.gif

As soon as something pops up on Twitter or on some blog, people run with it as if it's the gospel.

There was a story a while back about some newspaper using Wiki as a credible source. Turns out that the Wiki article was inaccurate. But by the time the story got printed, everyone had already - wrongly - spread the word about the story being true.

Reporters rarely ask athletes for direct quotes or for confirmation on a rumor these days.

It's sort of like the "Nike will pay LBJ more money if he signs in NYC" story. No one has EVER confirmed it. Yet it is always quoted as fact.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I hear you my dude and I understand why Knicks fans including myself have that thought in the back of our heads.  Dolan by no means is a good owner and but I do think that he is allowing Walsh to do his thing and staying hands off. I think things are different now but I do understand why my fellow Knicks fans are apprehensive....I honestly can't blame them. But lets try to have some positivity with what we have seen Walsh done with this roster along with the assets we have.

I hear you my dude and I understand why Knicks fans including myself have that thought in the back of our heads.  Dolan by no means is a good owner and but I do think that he is allowing Walsh to do his thing and staying hands off. I think things are different now but I do understand why my fellow Knicks fans are apprehensive....I honestly can't blame them. But lets try to have some positivity with what we have seen Walsh done with this roster along with the assets we have.

smh.gif
I agree with this 100% and as a sports journalist this disgusts me.

smh.gif
I agree with this 100% and as a sports journalist this disgusts me.

Back
Top Bottom