Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

With the 24th selection in the 2010 First Year Player Draft, the San Francisco Giants select Gary Brown, a CF from Cal State Fullerton.

[h3]Gary Brown - OF[/h3][h4]Cal State Fullerton, Jr.[/h4]
  • Birthdate: 8/27/1988
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Bats: Right
  • Throws: Right
  • Scout's report filed: 3/2/10
  • Game(s): San Diego
[h5]Scouting Report[/h5]
Hitting ability: Brown consistently gets the barrel on the ball. It's not pretty, his feet are moving, but the bat is always in the right place, particularly against fastballs.

Power: He doesn't look like he should, but he's got some surprising pop.

Running speed: He's got plus, plus speed.

Base running: He wreaks havoc on the basepaths, though he's still raw and needs to learn the nuances of baserunning.

Arm strength: His arm is not quite average and isn't really a part of his game.

Fielding: When he first started playing center, he did not look good out there. But he's improved quickly in his routes and reading the ball off the bat.

Range: With his speed, he's got more than enough range for center.

Physical Description: Brown is an athletic, though not overly big, speedster. He's got a Reggie Willits body type.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Plus, plus speed. Better hitting skills than expected.

Weaknesses: He's still raw in many facets of the game.

Summary: There may not have been another hitter in the 2010 Draft class who got off to a hotter start than Brown. Speed is his best tool, and he can wreak havoc on the basepaths. He's got more strength and power than it would seem, and while his approach is unorthodox, he's got good overall hitting skills. Relatively new to the outfield, he's come a long way in terms of his defensive skills in center. Pure speed guys who can hit don't grow on trees, and if Brown keeps hitting the way he started out the year, he's going to hear his name called sooner rather than later on Draft Day.

Originally Posted by dland24

Zito
pimp.gif

Anyone know how much the Giants are paying Burrell?
I think they signed Burrell to a minor league deal. The Rays I believe are paying the remainder of his original salary

You guys are gunna love Gary...

I go to school with him and hes an awesome kid and plays the game the right way...awesome speed and solid hitter...

Rowand....$60 mill
De Rosa....$12 mill
Renteria....$18.5 mill
Winn....$23.5 mill
Molina....$20.5 mill
Durham ....$14.5 mill (final 2 years
sick.gif
)
Roberts....$18 mill
Zito...$126 mill
laugh.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
laugh.gif

mad.gif

Originally Posted by EZLN1

Rowand....$60 mill
De Rosa....$12 mill
Renteria....$18.5 mill
Winn....$23.5 mill
Molina....$20.5 mill
sick.gif
)
Roberts....$18 mill
Zito...$126 mill
laugh.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
laugh.gif

mad.gif
indifferent.gif

Flipped out on some umpire after a couple of questionable calls, and needed to be restrained.

Originally Posted by EZLN1

Rowand....$60 mill
De Rosa....$12 mill
Renteria....$18.5 mill
Winn....$23.5 mill
Molina....$20.5 mill
sick.gif
)
Roberts....$18 mill
Zito...$126 mill
laugh.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
laugh.gif

mad.gif

Dam shame
tired.gif

I know the MLB draft is kind of a crapshoot....but our latest pick....Jarrett Parker......seriously? Listen to MLB.com's writeup on him......

"Parker had a rough go of it in the Cape Cod League last summer, but there was hope that he'd bounce back and fulfill expectations of being one of the more interesting college hitters of this year's class. It hasnt really worked out that way as he's struggled to find offensive consistency, though he was coming on a little bit late. What he does have is plenty of speed which gives him the ability to steal bases and play a superb center field. Those are marketable skills."

OK....I know I am not a major league scout, but how are you going to draft a soft hitting defensive minded player in the 2nd round? Especially because he is a CF, which we already spent our 1st round pick on. Hopefully this works out, but someone who struggled in summer ball AND his college season doesnt scream "good pick" to me.

[table][tr][th="col"]M. Cain SF
7495.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]S. LeCure Cin
blank_player2.gif
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]4-4[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]1-1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.36[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]3.97[/td] [/tr][tr][td]56[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.00[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.76[/td][/tr][/table]

Granted I'm no professional scout but I don't know how I feel about the 2nd-4th round picks.

Brown seems like he could be a good player.

Back
Top Bottom