Official 2011 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (86-76) 2nd Place in NL West

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

I don't care what anyone says, Pablo Sandoval looks like a completely different person and player as compared to last year.
I thought it was Ray Durham in the box.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

I don't care what anyone says, Pablo Sandoval looks like a completely different person and player as compared to last year.
I thought it was Ray Durham in the box.
laugh.gif

Just bet a friend $200 that the Giants will win more games than the Dodgers this year.....

money8.gif

Just bet a friend $200 that the Giants will win more games than the Dodgers this year.....

money8.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Miguel Tejada glad he's done facing Giants' staff[/h1]
(03-08) 04:00 PST Scottsdale, Ariz. --Fans would be surprised how often a player is sure of his history only to be proved wrong by the stats. Miguel Tejada is not one of them. In discussing the Giants' starters, Tejada said, "Now my batting average is going to go up. I don't have to face these guys."

Tejada could not remember many hits, for good reason. According to baseball-reference.com, he has six hits in 45 career at-bats against Jonathan Sanchez (1-for-19), Tim Lincecum (3-for-13) and Matt Cain (2-for-13). He has not faced former teammate Barry Zito and had two doubles in six at-bats against rookie Madison Bumgarner.

"When we played San Francisco, I had to do a lot of thinking because those guys are so good, you don't know what they're going to throw you," he said.

Tejada, the Giants' only significant acquisition this offseason, has looked ragged in spring training. His throws and range have been weak.

He looked better against Seattle on Sunday with a leaping catch and a two-run triple.

Tejada said his legs tire in spring training after all the conditioning and fundamentals in the mornings before games. He assured reporters that once the season starts he feels stronger and plays better.

Posey, Giants agree: Buster Posey and the Giants agreed to a one-year contract worth $575,000. The team stuck to the precedent of not giving multiyear contracts to players after their first year, even the NL Rookie of the Year. Tim Lincecum got $650,000 in 2009 after winning his first Cy Young. At the time, Lincecum had nearly a year more tenure than Posey has now.

Burrell's big night: Pat Burrell singled, walked and homered in Monday night's game against the Rangers after starting the spring 2-for-17. Manager Bruce Bochy said before the game that Burrell was "searching" and worked on shortening his swing during batting practice.

Burrell said it was not hard to forget his awful Series performance because the Giants won.

"I just got into one of those deals where I wasn't comfortable," he said. "Nothing seemed to be going right. It just happened to be a bad time when it happened. Fortunately everybody picked up the slack. That's going to happen."

Cain throws: Matt Cain (elbow inflammation) threw a 10-minute bullpen session. His next step is likely to be a simulated game Thursday. Though Cain will have missed at least three Cactus League starts, Bochy said the right-hander has "plenty of time" to prepare for his first regular-season start April 2.

[h3]Cactus League recap [/h3]
Scores: Giants 4, Rangers 1

Notable: Jonathan Sanchez, the only Giant to lose in the World Series, held the Rangers to a run in four innings in the first spring meeting between the teams. Sanchez's start was the longest by a Giant this spring. ... Mark DeRosa made his first start at short and looked at home, even starting a nice double play.

Quotable: "I wanted to strike him out twice. It's always in my mind that lefties can't hit me." - Sanchez on Mitch Moreland, whose three-run homer off the lefty keyed Texas' 4-2 win in Game 3 of the World Series. On Monday, Sanchez got half his wish. He struck out Moreland on three pitches, then hit him with a pitch.

Today's game: Giants (Ryan Vogelsong) at Mariners (Jason Vargas), 12:05 p.m.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Miguel Tejada glad he's done facing Giants' staff[/h1]
(03-08) 04:00 PST Scottsdale, Ariz. --Fans would be surprised how often a player is sure of his history only to be proved wrong by the stats. Miguel Tejada is not one of them. In discussing the Giants' starters, Tejada said, "Now my batting average is going to go up. I don't have to face these guys."

Tejada could not remember many hits, for good reason. According to baseball-reference.com, he has six hits in 45 career at-bats against Jonathan Sanchez (1-for-19), Tim Lincecum (3-for-13) and Matt Cain (2-for-13). He has not faced former teammate Barry Zito and had two doubles in six at-bats against rookie Madison Bumgarner.

"When we played San Francisco, I had to do a lot of thinking because those guys are so good, you don't know what they're going to throw you," he said.

Tejada, the Giants' only significant acquisition this offseason, has looked ragged in spring training. His throws and range have been weak.

He looked better against Seattle on Sunday with a leaping catch and a two-run triple.

Tejada said his legs tire in spring training after all the conditioning and fundamentals in the mornings before games. He assured reporters that once the season starts he feels stronger and plays better.

Posey, Giants agree: Buster Posey and the Giants agreed to a one-year contract worth $575,000. The team stuck to the precedent of not giving multiyear contracts to players after their first year, even the NL Rookie of the Year. Tim Lincecum got $650,000 in 2009 after winning his first Cy Young. At the time, Lincecum had nearly a year more tenure than Posey has now.

Burrell's big night: Pat Burrell singled, walked and homered in Monday night's game against the Rangers after starting the spring 2-for-17. Manager Bruce Bochy said before the game that Burrell was "searching" and worked on shortening his swing during batting practice.

Burrell said it was not hard to forget his awful Series performance because the Giants won.

"I just got into one of those deals where I wasn't comfortable," he said. "Nothing seemed to be going right. It just happened to be a bad time when it happened. Fortunately everybody picked up the slack. That's going to happen."

Cain throws: Matt Cain (elbow inflammation) threw a 10-minute bullpen session. His next step is likely to be a simulated game Thursday. Though Cain will have missed at least three Cactus League starts, Bochy said the right-hander has "plenty of time" to prepare for his first regular-season start April 2.

[h3]Cactus League recap [/h3]
Scores: Giants 4, Rangers 1

Notable: Jonathan Sanchez, the only Giant to lose in the World Series, held the Rangers to a run in four innings in the first spring meeting between the teams. Sanchez's start was the longest by a Giant this spring. ... Mark DeRosa made his first start at short and looked at home, even starting a nice double play.

Quotable: "I wanted to strike him out twice. It's always in my mind that lefties can't hit me." - Sanchez on Mitch Moreland, whose three-run homer off the lefty keyed Texas' 4-2 win in Game 3 of the World Series. On Monday, Sanchez got half his wish. He struck out Moreland on three pitches, then hit him with a pitch.

Today's game: Giants (Ryan Vogelsong) at Mariners (Jason Vargas), 12:05 p.m.

Originally Posted by dland24

money8.gif
I like your chances.

Matt Kemp going to have a huge year after a terrible 2010.  Bank on it.

Originally Posted by dland24

money8.gif
I like your chances.

Matt Kemp going to have a huge year after a terrible 2010.  Bank on it.

Reminder for the Fantasy Baseball League. There's still spots available.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

The 4th Annual San Francisco Giants Fantasy Baseball League is open.

The league set up is below in the spoiler. It's played on Yahoo... just like the previous 3 years.

The draft will be offline. NTL is kind enough to lend a helping hand with the offline draft process. If you were in this year's Warriors fantasy basketball league, you know what the draft process is like. Basically, it's an online spreadsheet and we use a snake draft. Each person makes their pick within the allotted time. If the person does not make their pick within their time window, then the highest ranked player is then auto selected. Don't worry, the draft process will be explained again in a later time. If there are any questions that cannot wait, you can PM me. We'll discuss the start of the offline draft when the league is filled up.

Spoiler [+]

PM me for the League ID and Password. This is to prevent lurkers and unknowns from joining. This is for regular posters in this thread.

28asrr4.png

Reminder for the Fantasy Baseball League. There's still spots available.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

The 4th Annual San Francisco Giants Fantasy Baseball League is open.

The league set up is below in the spoiler. It's played on Yahoo... just like the previous 3 years.

The draft will be offline. NTL is kind enough to lend a helping hand with the offline draft process. If you were in this year's Warriors fantasy basketball league, you know what the draft process is like. Basically, it's an online spreadsheet and we use a snake draft. Each person makes their pick within the allotted time. If the person does not make their pick within their time window, then the highest ranked player is then auto selected. Don't worry, the draft process will be explained again in a later time. If there are any questions that cannot wait, you can PM me. We'll discuss the start of the offline draft when the league is filled up.

Spoiler [+]

PM me for the League ID and Password. This is to prevent lurkers and unknowns from joining. This is for regular posters in this thread.

28asrr4.png

Hey Paul we need to start the draft soon no? Should take much longer than the basketball one.

Hey Paul we need to start the draft soon no? Should take much longer than the basketball one.

We're 8 in the league and I'm still looking for people to join.

There are more rounds in the fantasy baseball draft so typically it should take longer, but that also depends on how fast people make their picks.

We're 8 in the league and I'm still looking for people to join.

There are more rounds in the fantasy baseball draft so typically it should take longer, but that also depends on how fast people make their picks.

Back
Top Bottom