Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

I'd like Edwards, but i think he's asking for too much money.
Is he someone we can rely on for a couple years?

Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

The phone picked up at NFL Films headquarters early Wednesday morning and when the caller identified himself, the voice on the other end did not hesitate.
"Carlos Rogers has a lot of ability but no confidence."

Greg Cosell, senior producer at NFL Films, watches more NFL coaches film than anyone not affiliated with a team. And he's not afraid to share his unvarnished opinions.

The 49ers filled a hole at cornerback Tuesday night when they signed former Washington ******** cornerback Carlos Rogers to a one-year contract while he was on a visit to meet with coaches and team officials in Santa Clara.

Rogers replaces Nate Clements, whom the 49ers cut last week to save more than $15 million in cap space. Clements quickly signed a two-year, $10.5 million contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

"Clements has passed the point where he's an effective down-to-down corner,' Cosell said.
http://
Rogers is only 19 months younger than Clements, but Clements has played four more NFL seasons. Rogers was a ninth overall pick in the 2005 draft. Clements was chosen 21st overall in 2001.

"I think Carlos has a better physical skill set than Nate Clements at this point in their careers," Cosell said. "But Rogers plays with big cushions and gives up a lot of competitions.

"I can't speak to what's in his mind, but watching him I've always gotten the impression that he doesn't get amnesia like a cornerback should. He seems to get troubled when he's beaten and it impacts the way he plays."

Cosell added, "His skill set is not exactly Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but he could be a top-10 corner in this league. You wouldn't nickname him, 'Toast,' but he's not as good or consistent as he could be. Now when it comes down to different coaching staffs, I'm sure a lot of them would watch him and say, 'He's pretty good.'"

I'd like Edwards, but i think he's asking for too much money.
Is he someone we can rely on for a couple years?

Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

The phone picked up at NFL Films headquarters early Wednesday morning and when the caller identified himself, the voice on the other end did not hesitate.
"Carlos Rogers has a lot of ability but no confidence."

Greg Cosell, senior producer at NFL Films, watches more NFL coaches film than anyone not affiliated with a team. And he's not afraid to share his unvarnished opinions.

The 49ers filled a hole at cornerback Tuesday night when they signed former Washington ******** cornerback Carlos Rogers to a one-year contract while he was on a visit to meet with coaches and team officials in Santa Clara.

Rogers replaces Nate Clements, whom the 49ers cut last week to save more than $15 million in cap space. Clements quickly signed a two-year, $10.5 million contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

"Clements has passed the point where he's an effective down-to-down corner,' Cosell said.
http://
Rogers is only 19 months younger than Clements, but Clements has played four more NFL seasons. Rogers was a ninth overall pick in the 2005 draft. Clements was chosen 21st overall in 2001.

"I think Carlos has a better physical skill set than Nate Clements at this point in their careers," Cosell said. "But Rogers plays with big cushions and gives up a lot of competitions.

"I can't speak to what's in his mind, but watching him I've always gotten the impression that he doesn't get amnesia like a cornerback should. He seems to get troubled when he's beaten and it impacts the way he plays."

Cosell added, "His skill set is not exactly Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but he could be a top-10 corner in this league. You wouldn't nickname him, 'Toast,' but he's not as good or consistent as he could be. Now when it comes down to different coaching staffs, I'm sure a lot of them would watch him and say, 'He's pretty good.'"

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by Madman4life

I'm a Skins fan just came in to see how Niners fans had to say about the Carlos Rodgers pickup. After watching the dude play since a rookie he has turned into a solid corner back. He is physical, can play bump in run, and can tackle. However, his downfall is that he is far from a playmaker and HE CANT CATCH THE BALL. I cant tell you how many key INTs he has dropped over the years. IMO he is a decent number 2 corner.

See thats probably the biggest knock on Rodgers.  If he can run with the receiver, cover the receiver and be smart enough to take a knee/run out of bounds after making an interception instead of trying to score a TD with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game, while your team is winning, then he's an upgrade. 

As long as Receivers are not having career games due to blown coverage against us it's an upgrade

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by Madman4life

I'm a Skins fan just came in to see how Niners fans had to say about the Carlos Rodgers pickup. After watching the dude play since a rookie he has turned into a solid corner back. He is physical, can play bump in run, and can tackle. However, his downfall is that he is far from a playmaker and HE CANT CATCH THE BALL. I cant tell you how many key INTs he has dropped over the years. IMO he is a decent number 2 corner.

See thats probably the biggest knock on Rodgers.  If he can run with the receiver, cover the receiver and be smart enough to take a knee/run out of bounds after making an interception instead of trying to score a TD with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game, while your team is winning, then he's an upgrade. 

As long as Receivers are not having career games due to blown coverage against us it's an upgrade

Jets free agent WR Braylon Edwards is scheduled to meet tonight with the San Francisco 49ers. Could be a prime spot for a 1-yr deal.

Jets free agent WR Braylon Edwards is scheduled to meet tonight with the San Francisco 49ers. Could be a prime spot for a 1-yr deal.

Jed York
indifferent.gif

edwards would be a great asset to us even though he drops a bunch of balls thrown to him

Jed York
indifferent.gif

edwards would be a great asset to us even though he drops a bunch of balls thrown to him

Originally Posted by davizzy

Jed York
indifferent.gif

True, but he does have big play potential. We need all the help we can get at this point, who knows if he has a great year and helps us win some games we'll have a better shot to lure in other players via free agency or trades next year.

As long as his asking price isn't ridiculous then I think Braylon would be a great addition to our team. We need to address that OL and do what we can to see if Asante is a potentiality in a trade

Originally Posted by davizzy

Jed York
indifferent.gif

True, but he does have big play potential. We need all the help we can get at this point, who knows if he has a great year and helps us win some games we'll have a better shot to lure in other players via free agency or trades next year.

As long as his asking price isn't ridiculous then I think Braylon would be a great addition to our team. We need to address that OL and do what we can to see if Asante is a potentiality in a trade

3year deal, per Matt Barrows.
mattbarrows Matt Barrows 
Former Saints center Jonathan Goodwin signs a three-year deal with the 49ers, according to a league source.

pimp.gif

3year deal, per Matt Barrows.
mattbarrows Matt Barrows 
Former Saints center Jonathan Goodwin signs a three-year deal with the 49ers, according to a league source.

pimp.gif

How many drops did Edwards have last year? It's something like 2.

Ginn is slated to start for us right now. I'd take Edwards even with his HISTORY of dropped balls.

Ginn is slated to start for us right now. I'd take Edwards even with his HISTORY of dropped balls.

Originally Posted by What up

Edwards>any wide out the Niners have at the moment.

Originally Posted by What up

Edwards>any wide out the Niners have at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom