Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Hugo

having manning can also help smith improve. teach him a few tricks

We ain't bringing in Manning and signing Smith.
laugh.gif

It seems pretty clear than we aren't going to make a run at Manning which is really disappointing to me. Mike Wallace or VJax would be
pimp.gif
. I'd rather get one of those guys than 2 decent WR's. We need a number 1 option. 

I was okay with Alex's play last season.

Problem is this is Peyton freaking Manning available. Anytime someone of that magnitude is available, which is extremely rare, you have to go for it. If he's healthy (which is a big if, of course), place him on any team and they are probably going to make the postseason. He could really put the 49ers over the top.

Problem is this is Peyton freaking Manning available. Anytime someone of that magnitude is available, which is extremely rare, you have to go for it. If he's healthy (which is a big if, of course), place him on any team and they are probably going to make the postseason. He could really put the 49ers over the top.

Originally Posted by acidicality

a 49ers team with a healthy peyton manning qb,  is the favorite in the NFC and to win the title IMO

Originally Posted by acidicality

a 49ers team with a healthy peyton manning qb,  is the favorite in the NFC and to win the title IMO

byline_matt_maiocco2.png

So how do the 49ers proceed if, when free agency opens Tuesday at 1 p.m., quarterback Alex Smith remains unsigned?

Some have wondered whether the 49ers would place a phone call to Tom Condon, the agent who represents both Smith and Peyton Manning, and attempt to get in on the Manning Sweepstakes.

What about Matt Flynn, the capable backup who saw action here and there for the Green Bay Packers behind Aaron Rodgers?

The more likely scenario would be for Jim Harbaugh to attempt to reunite with a quarterback from his past.

Josh Johnson, who played for Harbaugh at the University of San Diego, is looking for an opportunity to compete for a job. He probably wasn't going to get that chance with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even though Josh Freeman struggled last year after a fine 2010 season.

Johnson completed 19 of 36 passes for 246 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions with the Buccaneers last season. He is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the 49ers and Smith remain apart on the contract particulars while both sides have made it clear they want the union to continue.

As first reported in early December, the 49ers want to sign Smith to a short-term contract without a huge financial commitment. Smith, whom Harbaugh said was an "elite quarterback," wants a commitment of guaranteed money that reflects those words.

But the 49ers want the door to remain open for Colin Kaepernick to eventually take over as the starter. After all, the 49ers did not trade up to select Kaepernick in the second round last year so that he could be a career backup.

That's why a quick strike for Johnson in free agency makes sense.

Johnson will not warrant a large financial commitment. And Harbaugh has repeatedly said that every position will be earned through competition -- including quarterback.

If the 49ers were to sign Johnson, they could still bring back Smith, continue to groom Kaepernick and see what happens as those three quarterbacks -- and Scott Tolzien -- work through the offseason and training camp.

Read more: Johnson is logical move if Smith deal isn't done
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

byline_matt_maiocco2.png

So how do the 49ers proceed if, when free agency opens Tuesday at 1 p.m., quarterback Alex Smith remains unsigned?

Some have wondered whether the 49ers would place a phone call to Tom Condon, the agent who represents both Smith and Peyton Manning, and attempt to get in on the Manning Sweepstakes.

What about Matt Flynn, the capable backup who saw action here and there for the Green Bay Packers behind Aaron Rodgers?

The more likely scenario would be for Jim Harbaugh to attempt to reunite with a quarterback from his past.

Josh Johnson, who played for Harbaugh at the University of San Diego, is looking for an opportunity to compete for a job. He probably wasn't going to get that chance with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even though Josh Freeman struggled last year after a fine 2010 season.

Johnson completed 19 of 36 passes for 246 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions with the Buccaneers last season. He is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the 49ers and Smith remain apart on the contract particulars while both sides have made it clear they want the union to continue.

As first reported in early December, the 49ers want to sign Smith to a short-term contract without a huge financial commitment. Smith, whom Harbaugh said was an "elite quarterback," wants a commitment of guaranteed money that reflects those words.

But the 49ers want the door to remain open for Colin Kaepernick to eventually take over as the starter. After all, the 49ers did not trade up to select Kaepernick in the second round last year so that he could be a career backup.

That's why a quick strike for Johnson in free agency makes sense.

Johnson will not warrant a large financial commitment. And Harbaugh has repeatedly said that every position will be earned through competition -- including quarterback.

If the 49ers were to sign Johnson, they could still bring back Smith, continue to groom Kaepernick and see what happens as those three quarterbacks -- and Scott Tolzien -- work through the offseason and training camp.

Read more: Johnson is logical move if Smith deal isn't done
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

I really think Alex Smith has a ton of leverage in these negotiations because Kap isn't ready to go and there really aren't clear upgrades at QB in the free agent market (outside of the obvious). The 49ers (and probably more importantly Jim Harbaugh) are ridiculously comfortable with him and don't have a lot of options at this point.

I really think Alex Smith has a ton of leverage in these negotiations because Kap isn't ready to go and there really aren't clear upgrades at QB in the free agent market (outside of the obvious). The 49ers (and probably more importantly Jim Harbaugh) are ridiculously comfortable with him and don't have a lot of options at this point.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I couldnt disagree more.  The 49ers know that Alex would not get a huge offer elsewhere.  So because thats the case, they hold ALL the leverage.  If Alex walks into Baalke's office and says he wont sign a 3 year deal, Baalke should personally hand Alex every other GM's cell phone number and tell him to see if any other team would offer him a 5 year deal.

Alex will sign with us for less.  He may not be a great quarterback, but he isnt an idiot.

And for the record, it is complete speculation to say Kaep isnt ready.  Im not saying he is, but there is no way to know with any sort of certainty.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I couldnt disagree more.  The 49ers know that Alex would not get a huge offer elsewhere.  So because thats the case, they hold ALL the leverage.  If Alex walks into Baalke's office and says he wont sign a 3 year deal, Baalke should personally hand Alex every other GM's cell phone number and tell him to see if any other team would offer him a 5 year deal.

Alex will sign with us for less.  He may not be a great quarterback, but he isnt an idiot.

And for the record, it is complete speculation to say Kaep isnt ready.  Im not saying he is, but there is no way to know with any sort of certainty.

So the Rams now have 3 picks in the top 40 picks(3, 33 and 39)...

I believe we should still talk to Peyton just in case we cant agree to terms with Alex unless Kap is ready... Something has to be done

So where do we stand if someone gives Alex what he is looking for? Will they then go after PM if he hasnt signed up to that point?

I dont see anyone doing that............But still.

Any word on what position they are looking at in the first round?

So where do we stand if someone gives Alex what he is looking for? Will they then go after PM if he hasnt signed up to that point?

I dont see anyone doing that............But still.

Any word on what position they are looking at in the first round?

So the Rams now have 3 picks in the top 40 picks(3, 33 and 39)...

I believe we should still talk to Peyton just in case we cant agree to terms with Alex unless Kap is ready... Something has to be done

Smith will re-sign imo. Skins and one team that signs Manning is off the table. If it's not Denver, theyre basically committed to Tebow.

Smith will re-sign imo. Skins and one team that signs Manning is off the table. If it's not Denver, theyre basically committed to Tebow.

Went back and looked at our last super bown champs..................

Didnt know Bryant Young is now the Defensive line coach at U of Florida..........Figured he spent his entire career in a Niners uniform, and now i cant remember ANYBODY ever spending their entire career with the Niners.

Also didnt know that T.J. McDonald that plays for USC right now is Tim Mcdonalds son...........call me a fan, i loved his dad and merton hanks hanging back in coverage
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dana Stubblefield - "On October 12, 2010, former NFL agent Josh Luchs mentioned in an article for Sports Illustrated that he offered Stubblefield $10,000 dollars cash while he was still playing football at the University of Kansas, but Stubblefield refused to accept it"   Damn........didnt hear about that either
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Went back and looked at our last super bown champs..................

Didnt know Bryant Young is now the Defensive line coach at U of Florida..........Figured he spent his entire career in a Niners uniform, and now i cant remember ANYBODY ever spending their entire career with the Niners.

Also didnt know that T.J. McDonald that plays for USC right now is Tim Mcdonalds son...........call me a fan, i loved his dad and merton hanks hanging back in coverage
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Dana Stubblefield - "On October 12, 2010, former NFL agent Josh Luchs mentioned in an article for Sports Illustrated that he offered Stubblefield $10,000 dollars cash while he was still playing football at the University of Kansas, but Stubblefield refused to accept it"   Damn........didnt hear about that either
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom