Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

My girls brother text me earlier about Moss coming out to SF... I didnt like him as a player but if he worked out in NO like they were going crazy about and can return like the Randy we know from a few years ago, I'd be with it... he can stretch the field and be a big red zone target, something that Braylon was suppose to be which we lacked on scoring... Plus Moss won't cost a lot and we can work on our other holes without giving up much... I say do it!

Exactly what I was thinking. I think Randy (if he's still somewhat got it) is a perfect receiver for Alex. He's not really a burner and can make a tough catch if/when the ball isn't thrown in the best spot.
Moss would be a great threat to take the top off the defense and open up lanes for Crab and VD. But I still don't trust Alex Smith, so in my eyes it won't make a difference.

Peyton, Wayne, and Moss would be 
pimp.gif

When Randy Moss works out for the San Francisco 49ers on Monday, he'll be catching passes from his possible future coach -- Jim Harbaugh.

49ers CEO Jed York tweeted early Monday morning that Harbaugh, who played quarterback in the NFL for 13 seasons, will be throwing passes to Moss at the workout.

"Former Colt Pro Bowl QB throwing for #49ers tomorrow. Just to clarify, Coach Harbaugh is turning into Capt Comeback to throw to Randy Moss," York wrote.

Harbaugh is standing in because a current 49ers quarterback can't throw in a workout for the team until the league year begins Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

"I talked to Jim tonight," York told SI.com on Sunday night. "He's excited and a little nervous. He's a competitive guy. He doesn't want to look bad."

The 35-year-old Moss is attempting to make an NFL comeback after a year out of pro football.

Moss, who worked out last Tuesday with the New Orleans Saints, played for New England, Minnesota and Tennessee in a rocky 2010 season. He could help fill a big void after 49ers receivers managed just one catch for three yards in a 20-17 overtime loss in the NFC Championship Game to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

Moss' workout with the Saints was said to be impressive, according to reports. The Saints didn't publicize details of the session.

San Francisco cut ties with Braylon Edwards in December and already was without Joshua Morgan, who broke a bone in his lower leg Oct. 9 against Tampa Bay, had surgery to have screws inserted and was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Morgan is expected to generate his share of interest in free agency.

Michael Crabtree, San Francisco's 10th overall pick in the 2009 draft, had 72 receptions for 874 yards and four touchdowns.

Moss' best season came with the Patriots in 2007, when he caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and a single-season-record 23 touchdowns in helping New England to a 16-0 regular-season record.

Moss has 954 catches for 14,858 yards and 153 TDs in his 13-year career, which included a stint in the Bay Area with the Oakland Raiders in 2005 and '06.

Moss has had more than 1,000 yards receiving in a season 10 times, second only to Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, who did that 14 times.

Dirty tweet...
laugh.gif

When Randy Moss works out for the San Francisco 49ers on Monday, he'll be catching passes from his possible future coach -- Jim Harbaugh.

49ers CEO Jed York tweeted early Monday morning that Harbaugh, who played quarterback in the NFL for 13 seasons, will be throwing passes to Moss at the workout.

"Former Colt Pro Bowl QB throwing for #49ers tomorrow. Just to clarify, Coach Harbaugh is turning into Capt Comeback to throw to Randy Moss," York wrote.

Harbaugh is standing in because a current 49ers quarterback can't throw in a workout for the team until the league year begins Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

"I talked to Jim tonight," York told SI.com on Sunday night. "He's excited and a little nervous. He's a competitive guy. He doesn't want to look bad."

The 35-year-old Moss is attempting to make an NFL comeback after a year out of pro football.

Moss, who worked out last Tuesday with the New Orleans Saints, played for New England, Minnesota and Tennessee in a rocky 2010 season. He could help fill a big void after 49ers receivers managed just one catch for three yards in a 20-17 overtime loss in the NFC Championship Game to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

Moss' workout with the Saints was said to be impressive, according to reports. The Saints didn't publicize details of the session.

San Francisco cut ties with Braylon Edwards in December and already was without Joshua Morgan, who broke a bone in his lower leg Oct. 9 against Tampa Bay, had surgery to have screws inserted and was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Morgan is expected to generate his share of interest in free agency.

Michael Crabtree, San Francisco's 10th overall pick in the 2009 draft, had 72 receptions for 874 yards and four touchdowns.

Moss' best season came with the Patriots in 2007, when he caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and a single-season-record 23 touchdowns in helping New England to a 16-0 regular-season record.

Moss has 954 catches for 14,858 yards and 153 TDs in his 13-year career, which included a stint in the Bay Area with the Oakland Raiders in 2005 and '06.

Moss has had more than 1,000 yards receiving in a season 10 times, second only to Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, who did that 14 times.

Dirty tweet...
laugh.gif

Looks like Alex will be locked up for 3 years in the next couple of days.

*sighs*

Oh well. Lets see if we can win the division with Alex, a first place schedule, and Peyton potentially throwing the ball in Arizona. Wont be nearly as easy last year.

Looks like Alex will be locked up for 3 years in the next couple of days.

*sighs*

Oh well. Lets see if we can win the division with Alex, a first place schedule, and Peyton potentially throwing the ball in Arizona. Wont be nearly as easy last year.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I couldnt disagree more.  The 49ers know that Alex would not get a huge offer elsewhere.  So because thats the case, they hold ALL the leverage.  If Alex walks into Baalke's office and says he wont sign a 3 year deal, Baalke should personally hand Alex every other GM's cell phone number and tell him to see if any other team would offer him a 5 year deal.

Alex will sign with us for less.  He may not be a great quarterback, but he isnt an idiot.

And for the record, it is complete speculation to say Kaep isnt ready.  Im not saying he is, but there is no way to know with any sort of certainty.

I look at the extensions that QBs like Kolb and Fitzpatrick have received in the last year and think otherwise.  Everybody in the NFL saw that Saints game, and if that's Alex Smith at his best, the interest is a lot higher than you think around the league, especially as free agents start getting signed. I now call it "The Kwame Brown" effect. 

Everyone who saw the Saints game also saw the first 6 years of Alex's career.  Alex's market has to do with who would pay HIM, not how much others around the league are getting.  Our front office is not going to be pressured into signing a big contract based on the fact that other teams have signed bad contracts.  It would be like Ryan Vogelsong going into the Giants front office and saying he wants a contract similar to Barry Zito's.

Ehhhhh...that's an extreme analogy, and a little besides the point. It'd be nice to think that these negotiations happen in a vaccuum without external factors regarding what other teams are paying other players, but that's not how it works. It's one thing to have leverage and another to actually get exactly what your'e asking for. Vogelsong asking for Zito money can happen, because quite frankly you can ask for anything, right? It's another thing to ask for a 5 year deal after being offered a 3 year deal, and then get a 4 year deal with a crap load of incentives. That's still having leverage even if it results in a mutual compromise.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I couldnt disagree more.  The 49ers know that Alex would not get a huge offer elsewhere.  So because thats the case, they hold ALL the leverage.  If Alex walks into Baalke's office and says he wont sign a 3 year deal, Baalke should personally hand Alex every other GM's cell phone number and tell him to see if any other team would offer him a 5 year deal.

Alex will sign with us for less.  He may not be a great quarterback, but he isnt an idiot.

And for the record, it is complete speculation to say Kaep isnt ready.  Im not saying he is, but there is no way to know with any sort of certainty.

I look at the extensions that QBs like Kolb and Fitzpatrick have received in the last year and think otherwise.  Everybody in the NFL saw that Saints game, and if that's Alex Smith at his best, the interest is a lot higher than you think around the league, especially as free agents start getting signed. I now call it "The Kwame Brown" effect. 

Everyone who saw the Saints game also saw the first 6 years of Alex's career.  Alex's market has to do with who would pay HIM, not how much others around the league are getting.  Our front office is not going to be pressured into signing a big contract based on the fact that other teams have signed bad contracts.  It would be like Ryan Vogelsong going into the Giants front office and saying he wants a contract similar to Barry Zito's.

Ehhhhh...that's an extreme analogy, and a little besides the point. It'd be nice to think that these negotiations happen in a vaccuum without external factors regarding what other teams are paying other players, but that's not how it works. It's one thing to have leverage and another to actually get exactly what your'e asking for. Vogelsong asking for Zito money can happen, because quite frankly you can ask for anything, right? It's another thing to ask for a 5 year deal after being offered a 3 year deal, and then get a 4 year deal with a crap load of incentives. That's still having leverage even if it results in a mutual compromise.

Solid signing. Hopefully Moss is ready and motivated, which he should be - prove to everyone his time in TENN was a fluke - should be fun. Just gotta hope Alex Smith is halfway decent

Solid signing. Hopefully Moss is ready and motivated, which he should be - prove to everyone his time in TENN was a fluke - should be fun. Just gotta hope Alex Smith is halfway decent

Whats the point of signing Randy Moss if we dont have anybody with the arm to get the ball AHEAD of him so he can run and catch it?

Back
Top Bottom