Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I really think Alex Smith has a ton of leverage in these negotiations because Kap isn't ready to go and there really aren't clear upgrades at QB in the free agent market (outside of the obvious). The 49ers (and probably more importantly Jim Harbaugh) are ridiculously comfortable with him and don't have a lot of options at this point.

I couldnt disagree more.  The 49ers know that Alex would not get a huge offer elsewhere.  So because thats the case, they hold ALL the leverage.  If Alex walks into Baalke's office and says he wont sign a 3 year deal, Baalke should personally hand Alex every other GM's cell phone number and tell him to see if any other team would offer him a 5 year deal.

Alex will sign with us for less.  He may not be a great quarterback, but he isnt an idiot.

And for the record, it is complete speculation to say Kaep isnt ready.  Im not saying he is, but there is no way to know with any sort of certainty.

I look at the extensions that QBs like Kolb and Fitzpatrick have received in the last year and think otherwise.  Everybody in the NFL saw that Saints game, and if that's Alex Smith at his best, the interest is a lot higher than you think around the league, especially as free agents start getting signed. I now call it "The Kwame Brown" effect. 

I really think Alex Smith has a ton of leverage in these negotiations because Kap isn't ready to go and there really aren't clear upgrades at QB in the free agent market (outside of the obvious). The 49ers (and probably more importantly Jim Harbaugh) are ridiculously comfortable with him and don't have a lot of options at this point.

I couldnt disagree more.  The 49ers know that Alex would not get a huge offer elsewhere.  So because thats the case, they hold ALL the leverage.  If Alex walks into Baalke's office and says he wont sign a 3 year deal, Baalke should personally hand Alex every other GM's cell phone number and tell him to see if any other team would offer him a 5 year deal.

Alex will sign with us for less.  He may not be a great quarterback, but he isnt an idiot.

And for the record, it is complete speculation to say Kaep isnt ready.  Im not saying he is, but there is no way to know with any sort of certainty.

I look at the extensions that QBs like Kolb and Fitzpatrick have received in the last year and think otherwise.  Everybody in the NFL saw that Saints game, and if that's Alex Smith at his best, the interest is a lot higher than you think around the league, especially as free agents start getting signed. I now call it "The Kwame Brown" effect. 

Everyone who saw the Saints game also saw the first 6 years of Alex's career.  Alex's market has to do with who would pay HIM, not how much others around the league are getting.  Our front office is not going to be pressured into signing a big contract based on the fact that other teams have signed bad contracts.  It would be like Ryan Vogelsong going into the Giants front office and saying he wants a contract similar to Barry Zito's.

Everyone who saw the Saints game also saw the first 6 years of Alex's career.  Alex's market has to do with who would pay HIM, not how much others around the league are getting.  Our front office is not going to be pressured into signing a big contract based on the fact that other teams have signed bad contracts.  It would be like Ryan Vogelsong going into the Giants front office and saying he wants a contract similar to Barry Zito's.

In relations to pitchers I'd say some team might give Alex Jered Weaver like money. But I highly doubt anyone would give him anything more than 3 years.

As far as the draft goes I think shoring up the O-Line with Mitchell Schwartz in the 1st isnt too far off o a prediction. Historically we don't take WRs in the 1st, the last three (Stokes, Woods, Crabtree) have been busts with the latest still not being what we thought he would. I'm thinking Dwight Jones or Joe Adams in the middle rounds. If Rogers leaves I've seen Leonard Johnson's name pop up as a prospective CB.

In relations to pitchers I'd say some team might give Alex Jered Weaver like money. But I highly doubt anyone would give him anything more than 3 years.

As far as the draft goes I think shoring up the O-Line with Mitchell Schwartz in the 1st isnt too far off o a prediction. Historically we don't take WRs in the 1st, the last three (Stokes, Woods, Crabtree) have been busts with the latest still not being what we thought he would. I'm thinking Dwight Jones or Joe Adams in the middle rounds. If Rogers leaves I've seen Leonard Johnson's name pop up as a prospective CB.

Originally Posted by Hugo

having manning can also help smith improve kaepernick develop. teach him a few tricks
Fixed
yes but hey if harbaugh wants alex smith instead let him have him. when the %+%% blows up in his face i hope he is the first to go where mike singletary got to go... the unemployment line...

Originally Posted by Hugo

having manning can also help smith improve kaepernick develop. teach him a few tricks
Fixed
yes but hey if harbaugh wants alex smith instead let him have him. when the %+%% blows up in his face i hope he is the first to go where mike singletary got to go... the unemployment line...

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

I absolutely disagree with your Jered Weaver comparison.  The reason I used Vogelsong is because the parallels are uncanny.  Career of garbage.  One year of great play (although it can be argued that Alex's success was far less than Vogelsongs). 

I just dont think that our front office is stupid enough to use Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kevin Kolb or Mark Sanchez's contracts as the bar for Smiths.  The first two are awful contracts where those players are substantially overpaid.  And in Sanchez's case, he essentially IS Alex Smith (played decent ball, left a lot of plays on the field, let his defense carry his team to the AFCCG)....only Sanchez did it twice to Alex's one.  If Alex thinks he will get a longer deal elsewhere, the front office would be wise to let him walk.  The 49ers may want Alex back, but they are NOT left without a plan B like the Bills, Cardinals and Jets were/are.

I absolutely disagree with your Jered Weaver comparison.  The reason I used Vogelsong is because the parallels are uncanny.  Career of garbage.  One year of great play (although it can be argued that Alex's success was far less than Vogelsongs). 

I just dont think that our front office is stupid enough to use Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kevin Kolb or Mark Sanchez's contracts as the bar for Smiths.  The first two are awful contracts where those players are substantially overpaid.  And in Sanchez's case, he essentially IS Alex Smith (played decent ball, left a lot of plays on the field, let his defense carry his team to the AFCCG)....only Sanchez did it twice to Alex's one.  If Alex thinks he will get a longer deal elsewhere, the front office would be wise to let him walk.  The 49ers may want Alex back, but they are NOT left without a plan B like the Bills, Cardinals and Jets were/are.

i think alex smith has leverage to an extent, but if he overvalues himself after one good season where the offense was set up to play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses then i feel the 49ers should see if peyton manning has any interest in them.

i think alex ultimately resigns with the 49ers but you can never put it past a dumb desperate team to overpay him.

i think alex smith has leverage to an extent, but if he overvalues himself after one good season where the offense was set up to play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses then i feel the 49ers should see if peyton manning has any interest in them.

i think alex ultimately resigns with the 49ers but you can never put it past a dumb desperate team to overpay him.

I take it you don't like Harbaugh and where he brought us this past season?

ofcourse but alex smith is a limited quarterback. you cant depend on the defense all the time. thats not fair.

I take it you don't like Harbaugh and where he brought us this past season?

ofcourse but alex smith is a limited quarterback. you cant depend on the defense all the time. thats not fair.

I cant see this leverage yall speak of, Alex has a offer on the table and Baalke's M.O. is give the player an offer if they take it, good if not kick rocks, just ask Goldson.

in other news
Moss is flying to San Francisco today to work out for the 49ers on Monday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Get it done Baalke! 

I cant see this leverage yall speak of, Alex has a offer on the table and Baalke's M.O. is give the player an offer if they take it, good if not kick rocks, just ask Goldson.

in other news
Moss is flying to San Francisco today to work out for the 49ers on Monday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Get it done Baalke! 

byline_matt_maiocco2.png

The NFL has set the league-wide salary cap at $120.6 million per team, ProFootballTalk.com reported Sunday. It's a minimal increase from 2011, when the cap was $120.375 million.

The 49ers are believed to be approximately $20 million under the cap with free agency scheduled to begin on Tuesday. Only the top 51 players count against the salary cap during the offseason.

That estimate includes the recent franchise tender for safety Dashon Goldson ($6.2 million), the original-round tender of restricted free agent Larry Grant ($1.26 million) and the contract extensions of Ahmad Brooks ($2.85 million) and C.J. Spillman ($1.08 million).

The 49ers have plenty of cap room to re-sign quarterback Alex Smith and add wide receivers via free agency. The 49ers are reportedly scheduled on Monday to work out veteran Randy Moss, who did not play in 2011. Joshua Morgan and Ted Ginn are among the 49ers' scheduled free agents.

In planning ahead, the 49ers felt they had enough space to restructure linebacker Patrick Willis' contract late last year to absorb a cap figure of more than $17 million on the 2012 cap. The move reduced his costs for future seasons.

Here is a list of the 49ers who are scheduled to be allowed to negotiate with other teams as free agents, beginning Tuesday:

S Dashon Goldson (franchise player)
QB Alex Smith
CB Carlos Rogers
OL Adam Snyder
WR Joshua Morgan
WR Ted Ginn
LB Blake Costanzo
RG Chilo Rachal
S Reggie Smith
FB Moran Norris
LB Tavares Gooden
TE Justin Peelle
S Madieu Williams
LB Larry Grant (RFA, original round tender)
WR Brett Swain (RFA, not tendered)

Read more: 49ers have plenty of room under new salary cap
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

byline_matt_maiocco2.png

The NFL has set the league-wide salary cap at $120.6 million per team, ProFootballTalk.com reported Sunday. It's a minimal increase from 2011, when the cap was $120.375 million.

The 49ers are believed to be approximately $20 million under the cap with free agency scheduled to begin on Tuesday. Only the top 51 players count against the salary cap during the offseason.

That estimate includes the recent franchise tender for safety Dashon Goldson ($6.2 million), the original-round tender of restricted free agent Larry Grant ($1.26 million) and the contract extensions of Ahmad Brooks ($2.85 million) and C.J. Spillman ($1.08 million).

The 49ers have plenty of cap room to re-sign quarterback Alex Smith and add wide receivers via free agency. The 49ers are reportedly scheduled on Monday to work out veteran Randy Moss, who did not play in 2011. Joshua Morgan and Ted Ginn are among the 49ers' scheduled free agents.

In planning ahead, the 49ers felt they had enough space to restructure linebacker Patrick Willis' contract late last year to absorb a cap figure of more than $17 million on the 2012 cap. The move reduced his costs for future seasons.

Here is a list of the 49ers who are scheduled to be allowed to negotiate with other teams as free agents, beginning Tuesday:

S Dashon Goldson (franchise player)
QB Alex Smith
CB Carlos Rogers
OL Adam Snyder
WR Joshua Morgan
WR Ted Ginn
LB Blake Costanzo
RG Chilo Rachal
S Reggie Smith
FB Moran Norris
LB Tavares Gooden
TE Justin Peelle
S Madieu Williams
LB Larry Grant (RFA, original round tender)
WR Brett Swain (RFA, not tendered)

Read more: 49ers have plenty of room under new salary cap
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

My girls brother text me earlier about Moss coming out to SF... I didnt like him as a player but if he worked out in NO like they were going crazy about and can return like the Randy we know from a few years ago, I'd be with it... he can stretch the field and be a big red zone target, something that Braylon was suppose to be which we lacked on scoring... Plus Moss won't cost a lot and we can work on our other holes without giving up much... I say do it!

My girls brother text me earlier about Moss coming out to SF... I didnt like him as a player but if he worked out in NO like they were going crazy about and can return like the Randy we know from a few years ago, I'd be with it... he can stretch the field and be a big red zone target, something that Braylon was suppose to be which we lacked on scoring... Plus Moss won't cost a lot and we can work on our other holes without giving up much... I say do it!

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

Exactly what I was thinking. I think Randy (if he's still somewhat got it) is a perfect receiver for Alex. He's not really a burner and can make a tough catch if/when the ball isn't thrown in the best spot.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think Randy (if he's still somewhat got it) is a perfect receiver for Alex. He's not really a burner and can make a tough catch if/when the ball isn't thrown in the best spot.

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

Moss would be a great threat to take the top off the defense and open up lanes for Crab and VD. But I still don't trust Alex Smith, so in my eyes it won't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom